Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Jim Long-un posted:

I just wanna point out that the x.3 patches are where poo poo has traditionally gotten good. 3.3 was Nidhogg and the end of the Dragonsong War, 4.3 was Tsukuyomi and a close to the Doma storyline, and now 5.3 ends the major arc of the Ascian plotline that stretches back to ARR. now we start the lead-up to the next expansion, and I'm happy to say I have no idea where this poo poo was going, and although I wish it had a different vehicle than Zenos yeet Galvus AKA Mr. 2kool 4skool himself, this game has never truly disappointed me in the seven years I've been playing it so it'd be weirder if it started now.

also, there's something delicious about Asahi, Doma's Wettest Blanket, being resurrected as an even more insipid pricklord. the part where he summons a literal giant pile of money apropos of nothing and starts capering around squealing MONEY BAHAHAHAHA MONEY....MONEY!!!!!!! had me laughing my rear end off, as did the end of the scene with Zenos dramatically slicing one of the abandoned coins in half to punctuate his edgelord monologue

I'll admit, the idea of this semi-immortal ancient being finding the concept and use of money to be the most loving hilarious thing is very amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man

Rand Brittain posted:

G’raha Tia now officially has a thirst for the WoL that is even more powerful than Harchefaunt or Aymeric.

my WoL is a gigantic shredded femroe. the size and physical strength differential between them is probably lethal. I think about this often,

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

both the nier raid and the new story trial had me hootin and hollerin out loud at multiple points, holy poo poo. but i think my favorite part was all the extra animation in the closing MSQ cutscenes, really makes me hope we continue to see even more of that in the future! i never cared that much for asahi but fandaniel is loving great, i was legit on the edge of my seat thinking he wouldn't make it through that cutscene without getting ganked by zenos -- i'm still like 99% sure that's how he'll ultimately end up going out, but thank god it seems like we'll be seeing more of him before that happens

anyway i was too busy crying and/or hyping the gently caress out to get any of The Cool Screenshots as they were happening live, so i'll have to go back and get them later, but i could not pass up the opportunity to take a few minutes to get this shot:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Jim Long-un posted:

my WoL is a gigantic shredded femroe. the size and physical strength differential between them is probably lethal. I think about this often,

It definitely makes a difference in the big cutscenes whether the WoL is 100%, 200%, or 50% of G’raha Tia’s size.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, some thoughts.

Fandaniel's represented by the Leo star sign. The Leo crystal in Amaurot had a rather interesting line.

As well, given the association with the lion, and Ascians taking the forms of primals/summons now...

Could Fandaniel be Griever?

Hunter Noventa posted:

I'll admit, the idea of this semi-immortal ancient being finding the concept and use of money to be the most loving hilarious thing is very amusing.

I have a feeling Fandaniel's not really 'into' the whole idea of Zodiark or anything. As far as he was concerned that was the prerogative of the unsundered. He just wants to be rich and immortal.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Emet mentioned in some of the side dialogue in 5.0 that the Sundered they deign to elevate to an empty Ascian office don't have the same dedication to the cause as the Unsundered, so Fandaniel not giving a gently caress about the original Ascian agenda is completely explicable.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

You could resonably say that the Ascians are now just a brotherhood of evil sorcerers who happen to have the Echo, which I guess makes them the Dark Scions.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

lol that they gave the G-Warrior Trans-Am and a fin funnel barrier. They really went all in with this one.

https://twitter.com/ArsyFFXIV/status/1293421962656657410

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
The biggest oh gently caress moment of this patch was graha becoming a trust and me briefly panicing and gnashing my teeth at the thought of having to once again level a trust up, but they had him default to 80 so crisis averted.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Onmi posted:

I have a feeling Fandaniel's not really 'into' the whole idea of Zodiark or anything. As far as he was concerned that was the prerogative of the unsundered. He just wants to be rich and immortal.

I realized he makes a good match for Zenos in that way. Zenos killed his own dad so he didn’t have to be burdened by his birthright and could be free to do whatever. Fandaniel couldn’t do it himself, but with the big three gone he’s happy to be free of the Zodiark mission.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Patch good

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nibble posted:

I realized he makes a good match for Zenos in that way. Zenos killed his own dad so he didn’t have to be burdened by his birthright and could be free to do whatever. Fandaniel couldn’t do it himself, but with the big three gone he’s happy to be free of the Zodiark mission.

As I've said before in the main thread, they're also the natural consequences of the unsundered Ascians' schemes. They may have been spreading chaos and death for a noble cause, but they were still spreading chaos and death, and as the millennia went by and their original cause faded away, the carnage that they left behind became their only real legacy. Zenos and Fandaniel are the ideal citizens of the world they created. They can't be nuanced and human like the unsundered, because the unsundered spent generation after generation stripping nuance and humanity away from the world until all that's left is murderous hedonism.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you talk to Y'shtola after the story is over (she's in the nursery with Urianger), she speculates that, since the Crystal Tower is technically G'raha's territory, it's probably not fair to call him Tia anymore.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Vielle posted:

Oh gently caress, LB4?!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Zenos yae Galvus is probably the the biggest misnomer in the game, because not once has anyone looked at Zenos and said "yay"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

If you talk to Y'shtola after the story is over (she's in the nursery with Urianger), she speculates that, since the Crystal Tower is technically G'raha's territory, it's probably not fair to call him Tia anymore.

I have no idea how he'd react if the WOL ever calls him G'raha Nunh.

Chillgamesh posted:

Zenos yae Galvus is probably the the biggest misnomer in the game, because not once has anyone looked at Zenos and said "yay"

I mean, Asahi did. Didn't exactly work out for him, but he definitely liked 'em tall, blond, and sociopathic.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

That's why he's zos now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

I have no idea how he'd react if the WOL ever calls him G'raha Nunh.

I'm disappointed that there's never a dialogue option to call him Raha. I guess the WOL likes to keep things formal.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like Unukalhai got the Wrathion treatment, in that he was locked in a room until all the events he could have been relevant to had passed, and now G’raha has eaten his potential role in the Scions.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like Unukalhai got the Wrathion treatment, in that he was locked in a room until all the events he could have been relevant to had passed, and now G’raha has eaten his potential role in the Scions.

There is the inevitable Adventures in the Void when it comes up. Maybe we'll get Cyella as a buddy too.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

As someone who played SMN first, it was neat to see the name "ink mage" as the logical equivalent title for a DPS arcanist class that didn't end up drawing on primal power.

In no way do I want that to be a new job but it is a neat name.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

As someone who played SMN first, it was neat to see the name "ink mage" as the logical equivalent title for a DPS arcanist class that didn't end up drawing on primal power.

In no way do I want that to be a new job but it is a neat name.

I kinda do tho.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm disappointed that there's never a dialogue option to call him Raha. I guess the WOL likes to keep things formal.

I liked that Krile does this, which makes sense

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Fister Roboto posted:

WoL see's how thirsty he is for them and doesn't want to encourage it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Speak for WoLself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

The WoL basically ended the expansion running hand in hand with him and giggling.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
Quite a flex for Ishikawa to go "kill my characters, will you? Well how about this?"

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Fister Roboto posted:

he doesn't get to drop the 'tia' until he also gets to gently caress

good thing my alt is still single :pervert:

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

You could resonably say that the Ascians are now just a brotherhood of evil sorcerers who happen to have the Echo, which I guess makes them the Dark Scions.

We killed all the strong ones though, So only little bitches are left for us to slap around. And Zenos who is edgelord version of us. (Really getting to point where even game is acknowledging no one can actually beat us in power level and we're going to have to have like teams coming at us and we're now the raid boss)

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Draynar posted:

We killed all the strong ones though, So only little bitches are left for us to slap around. And Zenos who is edgelord version of us. (Really getting to point where even game is acknowledging no one can actually beat us in power level and we're going to have to have like teams coming at us and we're now the raid boss)

Hydaelyn doesn't have power levels. The WoL isn't Goku.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Jetrauben posted:

Hydaelyn doesn't have power levels. The WoL isn't Goku.

Look into your soul then look at this anime as gently caress game and tell me we aren't all goku.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The WoL has a few special powers that mostly grant well-defined minor boons. Like being immune to tempering, etc. Even the fact that we're the sundered soul of Azem I don't think has really mattered for our power level other than being able to use their soulstone without needing to train or practice like we do with the job stones

most of the wol's power level is just being frighteningly, monstrously good at killing things. The best at it, really, after dethroning former murder champ Zenos Yae Galvus

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The WoL and Scions are more like Luffy and the Strawhats than Goku

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

cheetah7071 posted:

The WoL has a few special powers that mostly grant well-defined minor boons. Like being immune to tempering, etc. Even the fact that we're the sundered soul of Azem I don't think has really mattered for our power level other than being able to use their soulstone without needing to train or practice like we do with the job stones

most of the wol's power level is just being frighteningly, monstrously good at killing things. The best at it, really, after dethroning former murder champ Zenos Yae Galvus

I suppose you can make the argument that the WoL ability to inspire and gather companions came from Azem, but I think that is more a parallel and a natural consequence at being really good at adventuring, which Azem himself was

Galaxies
Jan 22, 2020

Posting the Screenshot!

this patch was so good.

I'm reserving my opinion on fandaniel for once we see more of him. His theatrics were kind of funny now but I feel he could just end up being really annoying.

Also, with the knowledge that the sundered ascians don't really have the same drive to bring about the rejoining, I do wonder if we'll get an ascian pal to help us out. like a sundered ascian that's free now from having to bring about the rejoining (and maybe wasn't all that interested in it anyway?) and decides to help us out. That'd be neat.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Totally hyped because of this patch.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

ImpAtom posted:

The WoL basically ended the expansion running hand in hand with him and giggling.

Alisaie's actual reason for discontent becomes clear, stemming not from not getting any new outfits but that G'raha Tia muscling in on her turf of staring starry eyed at the WoL.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Meanwhile my WoL was getting flustered when she saw that Y'shtola wink in the farewell tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Unlucky7 posted:

I suppose you can make the argument that the WoL ability to inspire and gather companions came from Azem, but I think that is more a parallel and a natural consequence at being really good at adventuring, which Azem himself was

Even then, my read isn't that it "came from" Azem so much as "the kind of person you are persists through reincarnation"

so Azem is good at the same things as the WoL, not because Azem earned it for us and we're reaping the rewards, but because we have the same soul and have similar personalities as a result, which in turn results in similar behaviors and similar outcomes