Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

cheetah7071 posted:

The WoL has a few special powers that mostly grant well-defined minor boons. Like being immune to tempering, etc.

Don't forget breathing underwater.

That alone has saved the realms several times already.

cheetah7071 posted:

Even then, my read isn't that it "came from" Azem so much as "the kind of person you are persists through reincarnation"

so Azem is good at the same things as the WoL, not because Azem earned it for us and we're reaping the rewards, but because we have the same soul and have similar personalities as a result, which in turn results in similar behaviors and similar outcomes

That was my reading as well. We do have Ardbert to go on for that, as a start. There are variances but some core aspects are harder to shift.

Also I'm pretty sure Azem shares your WoL's pronoun, for the record, since some posts above were saying "he" where I got "she."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It's loving me up that I correctly called "The Azim Steppe has something to do with the ancient!WoL" but completely missed how similar Azim/Azeyma sound. I'd initially thought that the Dotharl looked like a society that once worshipped the WoL, though if you swap blue for purple they sound a fair bit like ascians after a millennia long game of telephone.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Zomborgon posted:

Don't forget breathing underwater.

That alone has saved the realms several times already.

That was my reading as well. We do have Ardbert to go on for that, as a start. There are variances but some core aspects are harder to shift.

Also I'm pretty sure Azem shares your WoL's pronoun, for the record, since some posts above were saying "he" where I got "she."

Yeah Azem was always gendered as a woman for me as well, which threw me for a second reading other peoples speculation. I suppose ancient timeless beings don't really have genders as such, however.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Power levels are canon, this is the only explanation for the end of Act 1 in Stormblood. Also the cell games Omega

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

corgski posted:

Yeah Azem was always gendered as a woman for me as well, which threw me for a second reading other peoples speculation. I suppose ancient timeless beings don't really have genders as such, however.

Reincarnation makes gender basically fluid. Even if your WoL is a woman, Ardbert is Azem too just as much as you are, and he's definitely a man.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Power levels are canon, this is the only explanation for the end of Act 1 in Stormblood. Also the cell games Omega

What I mean is more that like, the WoL isn't just gonna tank lesser foes' attacks; some jackass with a sword is totally capable of killing the WoL if they get sloppy.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Jetrauben posted:

Reincarnation makes gender basically fluid. Even if your WoL is a woman, Ardbert is Azem too just as much as you are, and he's definitely a man.

What I mean is more that like, the WoL isn't just gonna tank lesser foes' attacks; some jackass with a sword is totally capable of killing the WoL if they get sloppy.

I mean we did kinda do that in the cutscene before the WoL trial

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

erenoyo posted:

I mean we did kinda do that in the cutscene before the WoL trial

...point.

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man

do not

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Solovey posted:

he doesn't get to drop the 'tia' until he also gets to gently caress

good thing my alt is still single :pervert:

Given this there is another way to interpret her statement.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Given this there is another way to interpret her statement.

She's gonna have to go through WoL-me to get there.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A commemorative photo with one of my alts

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm so glad we got to save our collective husband

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It'd be kind of weird to have him be a prominent part of two expansions in a row but I guess Alisaie got to be part of the main team in both Stormblood and Shadowbringers

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Challenge Complete is a very good sticker

Is there a way to resize stickers

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Eox posted:

I'm so glad we got to save our collective husband

I came in here in the middle of work just to talk about how I’d die for cat man, and I want him to stay alive forever, and how he’s the best Scion, and he’s aliiiive, my boy is alive!

Overall though, loved the patch and pray that Ishikawa was too busy for 5.1/5.2 because of 6.0. If anyone can make Zenos and Fandaniel work, it’s her.

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man

broken pixel posted:

he’s the best Scion

this is violence against Tataru and I will not stand for it

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I love the dwarves.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

I love the dwarves.

I mean, sounds like they just drank their fuel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corgski posted:

I mean, sounds like they just drank their fuel.

You have to help them build a brewery which is also used to make fuel.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Guys, I have news about the Pendants. I didn't even catch it yesterday, but:

he's just sitting there, on the table. Watching.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Sometimes he's on the balcony.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Jim Long-un posted:

this is violence against Tataru and I will not stand for it

Okay, okay, I accept them as co- best Scions

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
the WoL just fucken BOOKING it out of the infirmary all the way to the tower was great

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

me getting ready to post about getting completely loving pulverized by basically every mechanic in the yorha raid because im bad at reading any nonstandard telegraph

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I will be honest

I was half expecting that when you arrive with the spirit vessels in the Source, the WoL would suddenly realize they forgot to label them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

cheetah7071 posted:

It'd be kind of weird to have him be a prominent part of two expansions in a row but I guess Alisaie got to be part of the main team in both Stormblood and Shadowbringers

And she still didn't get character development in either of them (Stormblood was more 'showcasing development she got off-screen'). If anything I'd say G'raha's already ahead of her.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I will be honest

I was half expecting that when you arrive with the spirit vessels in the Source, the WoL would suddenly realize they forgot to label them.

Lmao I had the same thought - imagining Krile chewing you out in frustration

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I too was half expecting some sort of gag where Alphinaud and Alisaie got mixed up, even though it wouldn’t tonallly fit

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

And she still didn't get character development in either of them (Stormblood was more 'showcasing development she got off-screen'). If anything I'd say G'raha's already ahead of her.

I think you missed some large chunks of Shadowbringers.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Onmi posted:

So, some thoughts.

Fandaniel's represented by the Leo star sign. The Leo crystal in Amaurot had a rather interesting line.

As well, given the association with the lion, and Ascians taking the forms of primals/summons now...

Could Fandaniel be Griever?

I have a feeling Fandaniel's not really 'into' the whole idea of Zodiark or anything. As far as he was concerned that was the prerogative of the unsundered. He just wants to be rich and immortal.

Has anyone else matched Ascian to constellation to soul stone line? I don't really know my star signs off by eye.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ibblebibble posted:

Has anyone else matched Ascian to constellation to soul stone line? I don't really know my star signs off by eye.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Emet-Selch literally can't help being a gemini

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ImpAtom posted:

I think you missed some large chunks of Shadowbringers.

Oh, I firmly remember Tesleen, but... the game didn't seem to want to. Or at least didn't seem to have a lot to do with that. And outside of that she didn't really get a massive amount of spotlight.

It's fair enough that in an expansion that tried to fit in all the Scions rather than just a couple, someone still ended up with less spotlight. But Alisaie is also absolutely right to complain that she didn't get any real personal development.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Oh, I firmly remember Tesleen, but... the game didn't seem to want to. Or at least didn't seem to have a lot to do with that. And outside of that she didn't really get a massive amount of spotlight.

It's fair enough that in an expansion that tried to fit in all the Scions rather than just a couple, someone still ended up with less spotlight. But Alisaie is also absolutely right to complain that she didn't get any real personal development.

... It gets brought up multiple times throughout the game and is the focus a chunk of the post-MSQ plot.

She gets more development time and focus than Y'shtola and Urianger.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

You literally go to Tesleen's grave in the 5.3 ending

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Alisaie is like the primary Scion involved in the "tempering is hosed up, what can we do about it" storyline, with deeply personal connections driving the story in multiple patches

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Back to the Azem = Azeyma/Azim stuff.

There's a ruined Cathedral made by worshippers of Sephirot in Azys Lla. It's also adorned with symbols nearly identical to Eorzean's symbol for Azeyma. I'm not sure where that link goes - Azem = Sephirot? Azem was linked to Sephirot in some way? (A sun god and a tree god in cahoots? No way.) But it seems likely that Azem in one way or the other was still known all over the world fairly recently.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thanks, guess I'll need to rewatch the cutscenes to match up the lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Alisaie is like the primary Scion involved in the "tempering is hosed up, what can we do about it" storyline, with deeply personal connections driving the story in multiple patches

Yeah, and I think that's going to start paying dividends soon. If I had to make predictions I think we'll see more of that as a focus in 5.4 and 5.5, possibly even going through the next expansion as her big Thing, but right now we're only in the phase of 'seeds for a solution got planted', they haven't done a whole lot with it yet. It's just been the few scenes with Ga Bu and then like, one cutscene in 5.1

Comparing Alisaie in ShB to Urianger is hard, because the big advancement for him was never that he got new things to do, it was that he got things to do at all, this is the first time he got promoted to 'main cast'. But if you think Alisaie got more stuff to do in Shadowbringers (and new stuff, at that) than Y'shtola... well, I wanna know what Shadowbringers you played.