Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Martial artists and stunt guy Tim Man has been busy making a (2 minute) movie and it's :allears:

https://youtu.be/aJHgGdkmrU4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Southpaugh posted:

Watched Upgrade and Beyond Skyline on Netflix last week. Neither disappointed at all. Very satisfying sci fi action.
Yes, these are both great. I was blown away by Beyond Skyline.

I watched Gamer last night and enjoyed it. I'm not sure why it was so poorly received. It does seem like it was ahead of its time in certain respects which, when it was released, probably made it feel behind the times. ("We just elected Obama, you're not supposed to make us think about the military–industrial complex or the prison–industrial complex anymore.")

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

also in the opening interview someone says "we live in a society" which caused me to lose my mind

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

How do we get to see this?!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

midge posted:

How do we get to see this?!

If you're in Canada it's playing the (virtual) Fantasia Film Festival but I'm not sure where else.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

flashy_mcflash posted:

If you're in Canada it's playing the (virtual) Fantasia Film Festival but I'm not sure where else.

Just so happens I am! Available Aug. 20, 2020 - Here

Thanks for the heads up.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

midge posted:

Just so happens I am! Available Aug. 20, 2020 - Here

Thanks for the heads up.

No problem! There's a new Johnnie To in the lineup as well. Apparently it's an MMA romance/musical?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

No problem! There's a new Johnnie To in the lineup as well. Apparently it's an MMA romance/musical?

I saw this one and it's only okay. Not bad, but I can't really recommend going out of one's way to see it unless you're a To completist.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Wife and I have been going through a bunch of 90's and 00's action movies and we're watching Blade 2 now. Is there anybody who's not in this loving movie?? I've probably seen it half a dozen times over the years but never realized Cat from Red Dwarf was one of his guys in this. Also Donnie Yen!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally watched Carlito’s Way, which has just a phenomenal climax. Really excellent NYC crime movie, and definitely one of the classics.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

FancyMike posted:

I saw this one and it's only okay. Not bad, but I can't really recommend going out of one's way to see it unless you're a To completist.

Thanks, there's a lot in this lineup I want to see (not just action) so I'm looking for stuff to cull.

I've been hearing good things about The Paper Tigers. Not balls-out action but apparently very sweet.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Inspector 34 posted:

Wife and I have been going through a bunch of 90's and 00's action movies and we're watching Blade 2 now. Is there anybody who's not in this loving movie?? I've probably seen it half a dozen times over the years but never realized Cat from Red Dwarf was one of his guys in this. Also Donnie Yen!
Patton Oswalt is not in Blade 2. He is in Blade 3.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
ok this is like my first time in CD and this thread is basically why I came here (after watching Savage Dog :hellyeah: ) and I'll catch up to the 140 pages I swear :P

Lately I've been on a Scott Adkins binge - did like half his movies a year ago, then just did the rest (minus iP man 5 or whatever, as i haven't seen the previous ones, which will be my next marathon binge).

but my question mainly is there any good documentaries or youtubes on choreographed fights. I'm really curious now with how "worked" these punches/kicks - like I get they're pulling their punches (much like wrestling) but it looks legit, and without "Hollywood" money, not like they're going to be spending it on cgi (or maybe they do) I see a bunch of Stunt People documentaries, but I'm more looking on the choreographed fight stuff (ie. The Raid / Straight to DVD? type budgets, and not blockbusters unless its much the same).

Scott Adkins & Iko Uwais are like my cocaine when it comes to Action movies. I just can't believe how much of a letdown Triple Threat was :(

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Martial artists and stunt guy Tim Man has been busy making a (2 minute) movie and it's :allears:

https://youtu.be/aJHgGdkmrU4

ok yea this thread is exactly my poo poo if this is anything to go by

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Taintrunner posted:

Finally watched Carlito’s Way, which has just a phenomenal climax. Really excellent NYC crime movie, and definitely one of the classics.

I feel like I lucked into watching it in the best possible way. When I first caught it on cable it was in the opening court room scene, so I really didn't know how the movie was going to turn out.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hirez posted:

ok this is like my first time in CD and this thread is basically why I came here (after watching Savage Dog :hellyeah: ) and I'll catch up to the 140 pages I swear :P

Lately I've been on a Scott Adkins binge - did like half his movies a year ago, then just did the rest (minus iP man 5 or whatever, as i haven't seen the previous ones, which will be my next marathon binge).

but my question mainly is there any good documentaries or youtubes on choreographed fights. I'm really curious now with how "worked" these punches/kicks - like I get they're pulling their punches (much like wrestling) but it looks legit, and without "Hollywood" money, not like they're going to be spending it on cgi (or maybe they do) I see a bunch of Stunt People documentaries, but I'm more looking on the choreographed fight stuff (ie. The Raid / Straight to DVD? type budgets, and not blockbusters unless its much the same).

Scott Adkins & Iko Uwais are like my cocaine when it comes to Action movies. I just can't believe how much of a letdown Triple Threat was :(

You're in crazy luck. Look up Scott Adkins YouTube channel, he's been talking about this stuff a lot while in quarantine, both in reviewing his own top 5 movies and talking with other professionals.

A few things I remember him saying are that he needs the camera man, him, and his opponent all lined up so that he can miss with his kicks and still make it look like it connects. And also his super flashy kick with boyka, that looks like it wouldn't do damage, is really easy to film since it doesn't have any momentum and he can just hit someone with it since it won't really hurt. Was really interesting to think of filming things that way.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

You literally just made my day/weekend.

What are his top 5 btw, just wanna make sure I've seen em - I'm pretty sure I've seen all but a few bit part ones or unable to track down earlier stuff

and yea just looked up the Boyka kick that makes perfect sense.

How loving talented at his craft is Scott Adkins, I don't care what anyone says about his movies/acting - dude is like one of the most talented people on the planet to be able to do that stuff. That's why I love when anything new comes out with him, I know I'm going to see at least some crazy poo poo being done with the human body. Which reminds me I still got Jarhead 3 or whatever - not expecting much but he's in it.

vvv hell yeah, put Adkins in the John Wick universe :swoon:

Hirez fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 12, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Oh drat Adkins is putting out a new episode tomorrow where he interviews Chad Stahleski.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Basebf555 posted:

Oh drat Adkins is putting out a new episode tomorrow where he interviews Chad Stahleski.

he's working his way through all the 87 eleven guys, i recommend the interview with Daniel Bernhardt who played the random henchman in the first John Wick, the only opponent in any of these movies who actually got the best of him.

Hirez posted:

there are lots of "how to shoot a fight scene" videos on youtube. the technique referred to in a post above is called stacking, where the camera lens, the fist, and the jaw are all lined up, so it looks like the fist connects with the jaw because the lens doesn't pick up depth well. it is much easier to shoot these punches with over the shoulder shots because there's a ton of room for error, you can tell you're in the presence of a master when they can stack blows in shots from the side and make it look good, like in Scott Adkins movies.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Scott Adkins not being 80s Arnold level big is further proof we don't live in a meritocracy.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

ok im so glad I'm not insane like all my idiot friends who don't appreciate Scott Adkins. Goons truly are the best of friends

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Scott Adkins not being 80s Arnold level big is further proof we don't live in a meritocracy.

The worst is when he pops up in a movie and doesn't get to do anything. Like American Assassin or his blink and you'll miss it Bourne appearance.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
no the worst is when a production hires Scott Adkins to be the hero of a movie and gets Dolph Lundgren to be the bad guy and not only do they not fight each other, but they don't fight anyone at all period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT8Ecr1TCL0

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Basebf555 posted:

The worst is when he pops up in a movie and doesn't get to do anything. Like American Assassin or his blink and you'll miss it Bourne appearance.

He got beat by a loving CAPE in Dr. Strange!!! This timeline STINKS

Hirez posted:

ok im so glad I'm not insane like all my idiot friends who don't appreciate Scott Adkins. Goons truly are the best of friends

Hirez, I'm going to assume you're familiar with the "Stuntmen React" by Corridor Crew Youtube channel, despite the click-baiting name and occasionally goober hosts it's very good.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 12, 2020

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

dokmo posted:

no the worst is when a production hires Scott Adkins to be the hero of a movie and gets Dolph Lundgren to be the bad guy and not only do they not fight each other, but they don't fight anyone at all period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT8Ecr1TCL0
Putting Scott Adkins and Dolph Lundgen in a PG-13 movie shaking my drat head

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Boco_T posted:

Putting Scott Adkins and Dolph Lundgen in a PG-13 movie shaking my drat head

There is ONE punch thrown in the entire movie. I love both these guys, and all I got was a single punch.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

dokmo posted:

he's working his way through all the 87 eleven guys, i recommend the interview with Daniel Bernhardt who played the random henchman in the first John Wick, the only opponent in any of these movies who actually got the best of him.

I watched this one the other day and now I have a crush on Daniel, he seems like the nicest man on earth! Him constantly bigging up Scott was adorable :kimchi:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Feel the same way about the Raid guys in Force Awakens. What a waste!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

dokmo posted:

Bernhardt is also an Agent in the second Matrix movie, I think he's even the "Hm, upgrades!" guy. It was fun realizing Keanu likes to work with him and their scene in Matrix 2 is pretty fun.

Bum move not to post a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vm2QcWVEqU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Grendels Dad posted:

Bernhardt is also an Agent in the second Matrix movie, I think he's even the "Hm, upgrades!" guy. It was fun realizing Keanu likes to work with him and their scene in Matrix 2 is pretty fun.

Bum move not to post a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vm2QcWVEqU

He's also in the weird Barry episode that seems to be fantasy

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The extremely good episode of Barry.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

dokmo posted:

Bernhardt was also not-Jean Claude Van Damme in the Bloodsport sequels, just as Sasha Mitchell was in the Kickboxer films, and played one of the upgraded agents in the Matrix Reloaded and the indestructible henchman in Atomic Blonde. Not to be confused with Olivier Gruner, who, surprisingly, has never worked with him and, even more surprisingly, is a different person.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Was The Crow the first movie to have a guy in a leather trench coat win a gunfight with a group of bad guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi8obKLsc9A

You see it in Blade, The Matrix, and V for Vendetta among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd6UtMo3JDw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2eCmhBgsyI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhZxKInr_Ks

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I always trace the leather-trenchcoat thing back to Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSqUlQ7NukU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Crow definitely doesn't get the credit it deserves for how important it actually was. Two years after Batman Returns and four years before Blade, for a kid at the time it was one of the first glimpses into what a proper comic movie for adults could be. Sadly not many comic book movies have lived up to that promise in the years since. Everyone watch Punisher Warzone.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I rewatched The Crow recently and it holds up surprisingly well and is really enjoyable from top to bottom with some cracking characters. Soundtrack also owns super hard.

And I agree with the above spoiler.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Gunfights by guys in dusters goes back to old westerns, probably specifically Spaghetti Westerns, and one guy versus a bunch of guys is an old martial arts trope. Black dusters and trench coats became popular in the late 80s early 90s, but I do think that the Crow is the first time someone brought it all together in one place.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

The Crow definitely doesn't get the credit it deserves for how important it actually was. Two years after Batman Returns and four years before Blade, for a kid at the time it was one of the first glimpses into what a proper comic movie for adults could be. Sadly not many comic book movies have lived up to that promise in the years since. Everyone watch Punisher Warzone.

The Crow's only real shortcoming is that his powers weren't well incorporated into the action scenes. There's at least one big set piece that's just him getting shot ineffectually while he karate fights other dudes. The film around it is great, though.

Speaking of Brandon Lee, go watch Rapid Fire. It's loving dope.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Scott Adkins chews the gently caress out of the scenery in Ip Man 4 it's great

"I WANT YOU MAGGOTS FIGhTInG WITH SUPERIOR JAPANESE KARATE AT 0800"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
random question, I always wondered in Hong Kong action movies from the 80s-90s, when they had random white dudes show up did they speak fluent cantonese or was it dubbed