Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Problem description:

The last few days I've noticed lots of lags and disconnects from online gaming, and when I checked my speedtest I saw that I was getting an average of 50-60mbps when my plan is set to 250mbps. My PC is connected to a CAT6 ethernet cable (and I tested the cable on another laptop and it was fine, see below) to our router. I then went ahead and decided just to factory reset both my modem and my router.

I called up my ISP thinking it was on their end, and after remoting in and after running through a bunch of tests in CMD prompt he said everything seemed to be working fine. So, we tried directly connecting the PC to my modem, and my speeds jumped up to 120-150mbps, but still far below the speeds its supposed to be. Finally, we used the same connection and ran it to a separate laptop and could see that I was then getting normal speeds of 250mpbs, which seems to confirm its not the ISP and instead my PC.

I went into Device Manager and selected Network Adapters and checked for newer drivers and Windows couldn't find any. Every Google description walks through the common problems like WiFi issues, ISP issues etc. but given that I get full speeds when connected to my laptop I believe we can rule out most of those other issues.

Recent changes: I built this PC back in April but am not sure when it was this slow, though I did have quite a few stutters and disconnects as well early on (stupidly never thought to check the speed though)

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64bit

System specs::

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo: ASRock B450 Pro4
RAM: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) ,
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1660 Super Phoenix OC - 6GB GDDR6
Network Adapter (built into mobo): Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller

Modem: TP-LINK TC7650
Router: TP-LINK AC1200 Archer C50
Cable: CAT6 ethernet

also here's screenshots of my CPU-Z output:

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes (see above for the steps I've taken from what I found).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepBlue
Jul 7, 2004

SHMEH!!!
Update your drivers using the program below:

https://www.snappy-driver-installer.org/

Ping the following IP addresses to test out what part of your network is causing issues. This will need to be running in the background to provide any troubleshooting benefits, so keep an eye on it and try to recreate the issue when running this test.

Your Router - Usually 192.168.x.y
Your Gateway - Check your IP address using https://wtfismyip.com
Your DNS provider - I usually hit up Google's DNS at 8.8.8.8

Let us know how that goes.

DeepBlue fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 13, 2020

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

DeepBlue posted:

Update your drivers using the program below:

https://www.snappy-driver-installer.org/

Ping the following IP addresses to test out what part of your network is causing issues. This will need to be running in the background to provide any troubleshooting benefits, so keep an eye on it and try to recreate the issue when running this test.

Your Router - Usually 192.168.x.y
Your Gateway - Check your IP address using https://wtfismyip.com
Your DNS provider - I usually hit up Google's DNS at 8.8.8.8

Let us know how that goes.

I'll definitely go through and check drivers, which ones do you think are applicable other than the Ethernet adapter? I'm a bit wary of driver software so I'd rather just do it manually, and I've heard Snappy particularly is loaded with adware and other bloat.

Ping results:

Router:

code:
Packets: Sent = 30, Received = 30, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
Gateway:

code:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
Google DNS:

code:
Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 23ms

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Go to your network settings, hit 'Change Adapter Options', take a screenshot of that window. From that window, next right-click the Ethernet connection, select status, and take a screenshot of that one too.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

astral posted:

Go to your network settings, hit 'Change Adapter Options', take a screenshot of that window. From that window, next right-click the Ethernet connection, select status, and take a screenshot of that one too.

Here's the first:

And here's the second:

Interestingly the speed is showing as 100mpbs, so I wonder if its being throttled or limited somehow?

EDIT: I went onto the Realtek website and downloaded the latest driver (Windows didn't detect it on its driver update tool), but still the speed is only showing as 100mpbs on the connection itself. More googling shows that sometimes these adapters are only working in Half-Duplex mode which limits its speed to 100mpbs, could this be the case? How could I modify this to Full Duplex mode?

EDIT 2: So I went into Change Adapter Options and found the Link Speed & Duplex option and changed it from auto negotiation to Full Duplex 1gbps, unfortunately this didn't seem to do anything to the speed (if anything, my speed may have gone down to around 40mpbs from 90, but I'm not certain). I also checked and saw that "Autodisable Gigabit" was Disabled to make sure.

Next, I went and saw that "Gigabit Lite" was enabled, and googling showed apparently its a 500mpbs option, so I disabled it and ran another speedtest. Same speeds unfortunately. Finally, I tried both Gigabit Lite disabled and changed from Auto Negotiation to Full Duplex and it seemed to up my speed back in the 90-100mpbs range, but nowhere near the 250mpbs I'm supposed to be getting (and this could be completely unrelated because I normally get 90-100mpbs and only the last few minutes was getting 40mpbs). I'm going to leave these settings this way to see if anything changes for now but still no luck.

Honestly, I might just buy another PCIe adapter even if it costs me $50 but I don't want to buy one if I can't absolutely be certain its the current adapter throttling the speed.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 14, 2020

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Do you have a lot of individual devices on your network? I had a similar issue recently with the same model of router after installing an array of smart home devices. Slower speeds than my ISP's plan, intermittent slowdowns and disconnects that didn't make any sense, and I confirmed with the ISP that the problem was on my end.

After some more monitoring/troubleshooting I ended up narrowing it down to the router and replaced it with an A20 which solved the issue. As best I can tell the router simply couldn't negotiate the large number of devices on the network and was probably juggling them based on some sort of automatic prioritizing, intermittently dropping packets and/or the connection entirely at random intervals.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Oysters Autobio posted:

Router: TP-LINK AC1200 Archer C50

Oysters Autobio posted:

And here's the second:

Interestingly the speed is showing as 100mpbs, so I wonder if its being throttled or limited somehow?

The Archer C50 has four fast ethernet ports which max out at 100Mbps.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Zogo posted:

The Archer C50 has four fast ethernet ports which max out at 100Mbps.

You've gotta be kidding me, I knew it would be something stupid like this. The router has faster speeds on WiFi than it does on ethernet???? What? Why? So I guess a new router is what's needed here, or can I use a switch to connect both the router and a direct ethernet?

The only thing still odd is that I connected the ethernet straight from the modem as well and still got slow speeds, but when I did the same on my laptop I got my maximum 300mpbs.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Oysters Autobio posted:

You've gotta be kidding me, I knew it would be something stupid like this. The router has faster speeds on WiFi than it does on ethernet???? What? Why?

Suppliers probably have a surplus of 10/100 Ethernet stuff that they want to get rid of before they become really, really obsolete. 100Mbps is still plenty for lots of people.

Network architecture has become so discordant that a user could find themselves in this scenario in 2020:

Cable: Cat6 = 10Gbps
Computer: Gigabit Ethernet Router = 1Gbps
Router: 10/100 Fast Ethernet = 100 Mbps
ISP: 5 Mbps

Basically it's about money.

Oysters Autobio posted:

So I guess a new router is what's needed here, or can I use a switch to connect both the router and a direct ethernet?

The only thing still odd is that I connected the ethernet straight from the modem as well and still got slow speeds, but when I did the same on my laptop I got my maximum 300mpbs.

Yea, you'll want to get a gigabit router. Connecting a basic switch directly to a modem won't do anything.

As far as the discrepancy between the computer and laptop speeds I'd try connecting both devices through the gigabit router and see if they still both get different results. If they do then I recommend using iPerf https://iperf.fr/. You can use that program to test upload/download speeds between devices on your private network to narrow the issue down more and determine if the ISP is throttling the computer somehow or if the computer also has the issue within your network itself.

PS iPerf isn't the easiest program to use so you'll need to read the documentation closely or ask questions here.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 21, 2020

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Resurrecting this thread because despite buying a new router with faster Ethernet ports, I'm still having slow speeds, but I think I might know why so I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on my theory and how I might troubleshoot to confirm it.

My PC tower is in a room separated by our dining room from my Router and Modem which is in the living room. In my OP I do state that I'm using CAT6 cables, but what I failed to mention is I'm using the flat style CAT6 which I've now read somewhere has speed problems at longer distances. I chose the flat style because to span it across the dining room it follows along the moulding in the dining room.

I think now when I was getting those really fast speeds on my laptop when directly connected to my modem was because I was doing this with my laptop sitting right next to it, with a different cable.

So, if this is in fact the reason, (1) how do I troubleshoot to confirm this, and (2) if the results of those troubleshoots confirm it, how do I fix it?

Additionally, is distance on a coaxial cable something to worry about? Technically, my coaxial cable comes from outside through the wall in my 2ns bedroom where my PC is, and runs across the dining room to my modem. Modem is then connected to my router which then essentially doubles back with my ethernet cable across the dining room back to my PC again (I'm assuming the coaxial is routed this way by the landlord for TV cable access in the living room). This coaxial may be also doing this from an cable extension from the 2nd bdrm.

Should I consider having my router and modem just next to my PC tower? This would also mean the main WIFI is coming out of the 2nd bedroom instead of the dining room, so I'd have to do an AP into the living room and / or get into the whole mesh router thing (which I already was considering to replace my current WiFi extender that goes to our backyard).

Here's a terrible diagram of the network situation:

https://imgur.com/a/e6EFc2S

Yellow are the walls to each room (from left to right it goes 2nd bedroom, dining room and then living room).

Blue line is the coaxial cable that comes in from outside (left to right) into the 2nd bedroom and then across my dining room to the modem which is in the living room.

Brown dot is the modem, which is connected to the router with a small round style CAT6 cable

Purple dot is the router for WiFi (for the Fire TV connected to the TV in same room, and phones) which then spans back across the dining room to my gaming PC tower.

Green line is my flat style CAT6 ethernet cable.

Red dot is the gaming PC tower

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 12, 2022

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

How long is that flat CAT6 cable that's being used? And is it near anything that could cause interference (other electronics etc.)

Oysters Autobio posted:

I think now when I was getting those really fast speeds on my laptop when directly connected to my modem was because I was doing this with my laptop sitting right next to it, with a different cable.

Sounds plausible.

Oysters Autobio posted:

So, if this is in fact the reason, (1) how do I troubleshoot to confirm this, and (2) if the results of those troubleshoots confirm it, how do I fix it?

Using a normal CAT6 cable would be the quickest thing to try.

Oysters Autobio posted:

Additionally, is distance on a coaxial cable something to worry about?

It can be. It depends on the age and type of cable and how it's terminated and split etc. The only way to be sure about that would be to have the cable company test the signal strength where the modem is located.

Oysters Autobio posted:

Should I consider having my router and modem just next to my PC tower? This would also mean the main WIFI is coming out of the 2nd bedroom instead of the dining room, so I'd have to do an AP into the living room and / or get into the whole mesh router thing (which I already was considering to replace my current WiFi extender that goes to our backyard).

It might fix the issue but the best design is normally to have the WiFi coming out at the most central location.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
The flat CAT6 cable is about 10ft running on the molding right next to the coaxial cable. It also at one point in the middle goes right underneath our heat pump unit that's mounted through the wall below the window. It crosses two separate walls that I drilled into.

Yeah I may as well buy a long enough round cat6 and just run it on the ground to the PC and see if there's a difference. If not I'll get the ISP if I can to come and test the speed at the coaxial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ten feet isn't long at all but it never hurts to try another cable.