Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I can't find one on Thomann :( It would be pretty sweet to show up to a jam and be like "yeah, i play the bazooka."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Another Operator song... but this time we're calling Jesus!

https://youtu.be/8WPj0iRo57U

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm just going to post the entire lyrics of Meri Wilson's 1977 novelty hit song "Telephone Man" because in 2020 they may as well be written in Linear A

Oh god, I finally looked this up, and apparently she did a 1999 update called "Internet Man".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBCwBCQOnmk

I can't actually find the lyrics written out anywhere (lol), but from listening, it's still full of 90s dial-up-internet references that'd be lost on modern audiences.

"I've got mail", "I can connect a modem to your telephone", etc.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
There's also Microchip Girl, by Self, about a 32-bit robot girl who has "CD-ROM curls," and you can't get her anything for Christmas because she's "got it all on hard disk." Those are all still kinda around, but this robot girl sounds like she was slapped together at the Boeing Surplus Store 15 years ago.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKtJobLOVYQ

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I can't actually find the lyrics written out anywhere (lol)
They're in this comment, at least.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

https://youtu.be/Ld9ikLYQSWc

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Pff. I had a screenshot of this error message but lost it off the clipboard. Anyways...not quite older media a la tv/films, but it reminded me of this thread.

I was setting up my desktop that's been in storage for a few months, and needed to coax it into finding an internet connection. Windows 10 "helpfully" asked if I had an ethernet cable hitched up, explaining [paraphrasing]: "an ethernet cable looks like a telephone cable but with bigger plugs".

How many people under a certain age know what a phone cable looks like? Nowadays one would describe a phone cable the other way around, "like an ethernet cable but with smaller plugs".

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Pff. I had a screenshot of this error message but lost it off the clipboard. Anyways...not quite older media a la tv/films, but it reminded me of this thread.

I was setting up my desktop that's been in storage for a few months, and needed to coax it into finding an internet connection. Windows 10 "helpfully" asked if I had an ethernet cable hitched up, explaining [paraphrasing]: "an ethernet cable looks like a telephone cable but with bigger plugs".

How many people under a certain age know what a phone cable looks like? Nowadays one would describe a phone cable the other way around, "like an ethernet cable but with smaller plugs".

I would think that most young people nowadays don't know what either a phone cable or an Ethernet cable is.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

In air combat movies of old, when you had a good radio connection you'd call out "five by five" meaning your signal was full strength across and down the meter (green lights five across and five down)

Communication hasn't been done over radio in decades, its digital which either works flawlessly or is out completely, "five by five" is meaningless but still in use.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Shrecknet posted:

In air combat movies of old, when you had a good radio connection you'd call out "five by five" meaning your signal was full strength across and down the meter (green lights five across and five down)

Communication hasn't been done over radio in decades, its digital which either works flawlessly or is out completely, "five by five" is meaningless but still in use.

Thanks for this, I knew that 5x5 meant "loud and clear" and it was at least kinda popularized as a catchphrase by Faith in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but the visual makes so much sense now.

Unfortunately, I think "5 bars" has completely decimated that idea today, so good choice for the thread.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I still use a radio all the time and it has some uses. If I tell someone I’m reading them 5 by 1 it means that they’re coming in loud but choppy/staticky, or 1 by 5 meaning they’re super quiet but clear (so talk into the goddamn mic).

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I still use a radio all the time and it has some uses. If I tell someone I’m reading them 5 by 1 it means that they’re coming in loud but choppy/staticky, or 1 by 5 meaning they’re super quiet but clear (so talk into the goddamn mic).

Now that you mention it, this terminology would actually still be quite handy for digital. Those exact problems still happen all the time.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

How many radios these days use analog signal, and how many are digitally encoded (and encrypted) over the air?

I mean, you still hear about people using police scanners, but it seems like that shouldn't be possible any more.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Shrecknet posted:

They say this all the time on babylon 5 and I'm rewatching it now so thanks!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Are you a trucker, pilot, streamer, or cosplayer?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Are you a trucker, pilot, streamer, or cosplayer?

Volunteer EMT and construction safety guy. I use radios all the time for both. I think only the construction ones are analog, but even digital has transmission problems sometimes where there's in-and-out interference.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

How many radios these days use analog signal, and how many are digitally encoded (and encrypted) over the air?

I mean, you still hear about people using police scanners, but it seems like that shouldn't be possible any more.

If you know someone in a fire department you can probably get your scanner programmed for the county fire/EMS radio no problem. Police is usually trunked off and occasionally the only digital signal in the area anyway.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
Concerning radios, my brother had a book of CB jokes published at the height of the CB craze. It was full of references lost on modern(non-truck driver) audiences in just a few years.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

They say this all the time on babylon 5 and I'm rewatching it now so thanks!

There's a thread if you're interested.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

You’ll pry my Cp200 analog out of my cold dead hands (because I’ll probably die on a film set)

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I just watched a youtube clip from the show Friends where its the rich friends vs the poor ones, and I remember that episode revolving around them all going to a Hootie & The Blowfish concert. Who remembers that band!? Have they even made any new music in the last 2 decades!?

Also, there was that other Friends episode that featured George Clooney & Noah Wiley as doctors that go out with Monica & Rachel, and it all hinged in the fact that both of them were on the show ER at the time.

Vietnamwees fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 17, 2020

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Vietnamwees posted:

I just watched a youtube clip from the show Friends where its the rich friends vs the poor ones, and I remember that episode revolving around them all going to a Hootie & The Blowfish concert. Who remembers that band!?

Anyone over the age of 25, probably.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Their last well received record came out in 1994.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Vietnamwees posted:

I just watched a youtube clip from the show Friends where its the rich friends vs the poor ones, and I remember that episode revolving around them all going to a Hootie & The Blowfish concert. Who remembers that band!? Have they even made any new music in the last 2 decades!?

Darius “Don’t Call Me Hootie” Rucker is a pretty popular country singer now, and he still tours with the band quite a bit. My wife and I saw them last summer (The Barenaked Ladies were the opening act, and, IMO, the better part of the show).

It made sense as a desirable concert for a bunch of boring white twenty somethings in the 90s, so it probably aged about as well as most jokes on Friends. :shrug:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Hootie and the Blowfish were a big college band and they toured everywhere so every college kid knew them. They were also completely inoffensive - so a perfect fit for Friends. It was probably a toss up between them or Ross singing along to some Spin Doctors.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Hootie and the Blowfish were a big college band and they toured everywhere so every college kid knew them. They were also completely inoffensive - so a perfect fit for Friends. It was probably a toss up between them or Ross singing along to some Spin Doctors.

My new game show is a thing where I take random audience members and bait them into wagering decreasing amounts of their own money that Smash Mouth never appeared on Friends:

"Would you bet $7000 dollars that Smash Mouth was never on Friends?"

"Yes."

"How about $5000?? Are you sure? Are you sure not a single member of Smash Mouth ever even appeared in a crowd scene?? Performed at Central Perk?"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

My new game show is a thing where I take random audience members and bait them into wagering decreasing amounts of their own money that Smash Mouth never appeared on Friends:

"Would you bet $7000 dollars that Smash Mouth was never on Friends?"

"Yes."

"How about $5000?? Are you sure? Are you sure not a single member of Smash Mouth ever even appeared in a crowd scene?? Performed at Central Perk?"

I’m 100% positive there was a ChubbaWubba joke told at some point in the show’s 9 seasons.

Also a Wang Chung joke. Or was that Fraiser? it was Fraiser, but on Cheers

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also a Wang Chung joke. Or was that Fraiser? it was Fraiser, but on Cheers

Was foolishly baited into clicking a 14.7 best spin-offs! list and I don’t think it contained a show older than fifteen years. Once I realized that was at least expecting Colbert Report, but nope. Or the still kinda popular spins-offs such as L&O: SVU and ST: TNG, though those feel less spinoffy somehow, probably because it feels more like a larger series now. Or I guess extended universe to keep with it. Was kinda surreal reading a list like that without all the usual, obvious choices like Fraiser, The Jeffersons, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, Good Times, etc. That said, having typed those out, I feel ancient now, and I’m a relatively youthful 29 for SA (gods this forum is old)

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
hey, did anyone notice how that one third eye blind record was way better than everything they put out after? it's because the frontman was a dick to the talented songwriter and drove all the other members of the band away. They reformed and made a band called XEB, which is pretty clever. i don't know if they still write songs about motorcycle crashes but i'm going to go listen to Jumper in a closet and cry, anyone care to join me?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

We'll still be using this convention in the 2100s, apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOZk--oZdQk

e.
"We're in the pipe" is also a jargon reference to the predefined approach parameters of an aircraft landing. If you're within the margins of your assigned approach, you're "in the pipe."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
One reference modern audiences won't get lost on is understaffing an operation so much that everyone has to go to the planet and no one is left on the ship in case something goes terribly wrong.

Colonial Marines operate very similar to a CVS in that respect.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Krispy Wafer posted:

One reference modern audiences won't get lost on is understaffing an operation so much that everyone has to go to the planet and no one is left on the ship in case something goes terribly wrong.

Colonial Marines operate very similar to a CVS in that respect.
The ancient practice of burning your ships so you have to win it or die trying?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

The ancient practice of burning your ships so you have to win it or die trying?

Good one. That could be it. I think they've just automated everything to the extent that they can run on a skeleton crew. They had redundancy for communicating with the base ship, but then their drop ship ran into their tank. Still, why not just keep a spare android as a bonus Jonas in the main spaceship?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Since everyone in the Aliens movies goes into cryosleep when they’re travelling, it makes sense the ship doesn’t have any permanent crew.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Angry Salami posted:

Since everyone in the Aliens movies goes into cryosleep when they’re travelling, it makes sense the ship doesn’t have any permanent crew.

Bit of a bummer if they return from an off-ship mission, only to be unable to re-enter the ship because a mop fell against the door when they left.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Moo the cow posted:

Bit of a bummer if they return from an off-ship mission, only to be unable to re-enter the ship because a mop fell against the door when they left.

Nobody can hear you clean

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Xlorp posted:

:perfect:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Xlorp posted:

God drat bullshit Sierra games :argh:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Shine posted:

God drat bullshit Sierra games :argh:

I was playing in an Alternity campaign with a bunch of people my own age. I found my character alone on the bridge of a space ship on fire being hailed by vicious aliens intent on harm. I went into a multi minute explanation giving my name as Roger Wilco leading into asserting that I was only the janitor and had been locked in the cleaning closet. Only to realize that not a single person playing has played any of the Space Quest games. I felt very old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I probably didn't find every single way to die in Space Quest III, but boy howdy I sure tried.