Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Culex posted:

After using this thread to research, I've pulled the trigger and have a mattress coming Wednesday! From mattress firm, a Jubilant pillow top 2. My current mattress is at least 20 years old and when I lay on it, springs can poke me in the hips! It was time. Thanks, Synastren!

Glad to help folks make some informed decisions! For what it's worth, the Mattress Firms in El Paso are one of the few franchised markets in the country, so they have a lot of products (like the one you selected) that I've never heard of! I'm actually a little impressed with the amount of stuff they can fit into that price point, and it looks like a good choice.

Congratulations on knocking that off of your list, and I hope it works out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

Anyone have pillow recommendations for a back/side sleeper? I'm mostly a back sleeper, but I've been finding myself wanting to turn to my side from time to time and thats where my current pillow feels a bit lacking in support? (Though, I think it might be -almost- lacking in support on my back as well since I noticed I put my hands under it a lot) What I have is just some thing from IKEA, and while it doesn't get too hot and gets the job done, I assume I could probably have something a bit nicer??

It's expensive and probably not for everyone, but I got one of these buckwheat pillows. I have trouble sleeping at hotels now because of it; it is super goddamn supportive, and there's nothing really like it. Doesn't get too hot, either (I sleep super loving hot). It's like a really firm beanbag.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 22, 2020

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Thanatosian posted:

It's expensive and probably not for everyone, but I got one of these buckwheat pillows. I have trouble sleeping at hotels now because of it; it is super goddamn supportive, and there's nothing really like it. Doesn't get too hot, either (I sleep super loving hot). It's like a really firm beanbag.
I mean if it's that important, and you can swing it, maybe bring the pillow wherever you roam? I bring mine when I travel, but I don't travel for work frequently so I understand if you can't.

Great thread! I read it all, our mattress is fairly new, we inherited it from a rich grandmother that slept on it a handful of times and gave us the whole fancy king set. The girlfriend isn't happy with it though, though it's probably still better than anything we've ever slept on.

I'm not a doctor but I suffer from on and off back pain over the years, and I've been going to a decent "recommended by a coworker" chiropractor for relief for the first time in my life lately and it helps.

But what also helps IMO is some "barbell medicine" working out with good form with help from these forums improves my posture, strengthens your core etc.
I was doing "starting strength program" I bought the book/app and followed the thread and it all went away. I quit doing it a year ago and now it's back, I need to not be lazy and do it again because chiropractors can be expensive over time.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I mean if it's that important, and you can swing it, maybe bring the pillow wherever you roam? I bring mine when I travel, but I don't travel for work frequently so I understand if you can't.
It weighs twelve loving pounds, otherwise I probably would.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
The bed in a box I ordered is coming today and I have never decompressed a mattress like this before, and haven't bought a new mattress in a very very long time. Is there anything I need to know when I let this thing loose, tips or tricks, or does it just do it's thing and I just have to wait?

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Martian Manfucker posted:

The bed in a box I ordered is coming today and I have never decompressed a mattress like this before, and haven't bought a new mattress in a very very long time. Is there anything I need to know when I let this thing loose, tips or tricks, or does it just do it's thing and I just have to wait?

From what I'm aware of, it just does its thing. I would recommend having it in the bedroom before you decompress it, to minimize the amount of hauling around you need to do.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

To make it easier on yourself, clear off the platform or foundation on which it will sit ahead of time. When you open your box, there is almost always a little plastic tool to aid in removing the plastic bag.
:siren:YOU WILL WANT TO USE THE PROVIDED TOOL!:siren:
The reason for the tool is it should allow you to open the bag without risking damaging the upholstery of the new mattress. Tearing the fabric is an easy way to void a warranty. If one is not provided be very careful, and never cut the bag in a direction where you could nick or puncture the fabric of the mattress.

Unbox the mattress, and try to roll it out in its ultimate destination as best you can. Pull the plastic bag taut, then cut from one corner to another along the side of the mattress. I prefer going from left to right on the bottom, but you can cut any side you like. It's easiest to remove the bag if you cut along 3 sides, but if you cut along 2, you could reuse the bag to wrap the mattress if/when you move later.

Usually, you can sleep on what you received after giving it a few hours. In other words, if you get it in the early afternoon, it should be fine to sleep on that night. Be aware, however, it will feel much better the second night than the first as the mattress will not be 100% inflated in the first day or so.

Note: Different products reinflate at different speeds. tulo, for example, generally is almost fully inflated in ~12 hours. Nectar can take a couple of days to reach its entire height. Check with whatever documentation may accompany your mattress to give yourself proper expectations!

You should also expect some sort of odor. This is a foam mattress that has been sealed in plastic almost as soon as it was manufactured, then it was vacuum sealed as well. It'll likely be a little stinky.

If you have more specific questions, feeel free to ask!

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
The guys who delivered my Purple set up the frame and decompressed the mattress for me

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I ended up going with nectar and I like the mattress. But the mattress protector that they included feels cheap, slippery and plastic like. Any good mattress protectors that are better without negating the cooling benefit of mattresses like nectar?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

joepinetree posted:

I ended up going with nectar and I like the mattress. But the mattress protector that they included feels cheap, slippery and plastic like. Any good mattress protectors that are better without negating the cooling benefit of mattresses like nectar?

Cooling in a mattress like that is based on breathability. You should look for one of the following fibers:
  • tencel
  • lyocell
  • frio
  • outlast
The first two are generic types of plant based material (eucalyptus and beech, respectively). Many vendors will have tencel protectors; lyocell is more common in sheets, but you may be able to find protectors, as well. Frio and Outlast are proprietary materials that are efficient at pulling heat away from folks without being cold. There are also variations of polypropylene (e.g., Nordic chill fiber) that are cooling.

:siren: Avoid phase change material if you are looking for through-the-night coolness! :siren:

PCM is great for the first 10-30 minutes, but it will not retain its cooling properties all night. Fine for a pillow, excellent in certain constructions of mattress, but generally not great in a protector.

I like PureCare's products the most. Bedgear and Surefit (or their subsidiary Protect-a-bed) also make some good poo poo. If you're getting a mattress protector in queen that's under $40, you're probably just wasting money.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

I want an adjustable split king bed and I would like a foam bed of some sort, but I need medium firm. And I’m concerned about mattress slippage and any issues that could interfere with sexy fun times. Any recommendations? I’m looking primarily at ghost bed, Casper, nectar, maybe puffy (don’t know much about this one), and sleep science. I’d love a purple, but it’s too much money.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

mombot posted:

I want an adjustable split king bed and I would like a foam bed of some sort, but I need medium firm. And I’m concerned about mattress slippage and any issues that could interfere with sexy fun times. Any recommendations? I’m looking primarily at ghost bed, Casper, nectar, maybe puffy (don’t know much about this one), and sleep science. I’d love a purple, but it’s too much money.

Most of the beds in a box I have experience with (tulo, Tuft & Needle, Purple, Nectar, several Sleepy's models, a few Simmons models) have little rubber grips on the bottom (or some other sort of non-skid fabric), as they're designed for use primarily with metal platform frames.

I have no opinion on Ghostbed or Puffy (though I'd be shocked if they didn't bankrupt themselves given the affiliate pay they used to give). I despise the company of Casper for reasons mentioned many, many pages ago involving business practices--but I have no experience or opinion of their product. I'm sure it's OK.

Nectar is likely softer than what you're looking for, unless you're looking for an extremely soft top on an otherwise firm mattress. It's the BIAB analogy to a firm pillowtop, if the pillowtop were really thick but not very supportive.

The OG Purple is likely the firmest you'll find of the beds you mentioned, though at 799 a pop they're firmly in what I'd consider the midrange--especially for a split king.

Tuft & Needle doesn't use much (any?) memory foam, and has a more latex/rubbery feel to it, in addition to being on the firmer side of those beds that I've tried. Knowing little else except that you were looking for medium firm, this would be a solid choice.

You may also want to look into the tulo Medium (do not go Firm if you want anything softer than a bench), especially if it's on a deep sale.

To address the sexy fun times more directly, the gap in the middle of the set it something to be mindful of. If you find it to be difficult, look for something called a bed bridge. Also, keep track of where you put the remotes--you don't want someone's foot hitting a button and suddenly the arena starts shifting around...

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

Synastren posted:

Most of the beds in a box I have experience with (tulo, Tuft & Needle, Purple, Nectar, several Sleepy's models, a few Simmons models) have little rubber grips on the bottom (or some other sort of non-skid fabric), as they're designed for use primarily with metal platform frames.

I have no opinion on Ghostbed or Puffy (though I'd be shocked if they didn't bankrupt themselves given the affiliate pay they used to give). I despise the company of Casper for reasons mentioned many, many pages ago involving business practices--but I have no experience or opinion of their product. I'm sure it's OK.

Nectar is likely softer than what you're looking for, unless you're looking for an extremely soft top on an otherwise firm mattress. It's the BIAB analogy to a firm pillowtop, if the pillowtop were really thick but not very supportive.

The OG Purple is likely the firmest you'll find of the beds you mentioned, though at 799 a pop they're firmly in what I'd consider the midrange--especially for a split king.

Tuft & Needle doesn't use much (any?) memory foam, and has a more latex/rubbery feel to it, in addition to being on the firmer side of those beds that I've tried. Knowing little else except that you were looking for medium firm, this would be a solid choice.

You may also want to look into the tulo Medium (do not go Firm if you want anything softer than a bench), especially if it's on a deep sale.

To address the sexy fun times more directly, the gap in the middle of the set it something to be mindful of. If you find it to be difficult, look for something called a bed bridge. Also, keep track of where you put the remotes--you don't want someone's foot hitting a button and suddenly the arena starts shifting around...

Yeah, I’m familiar with the gap lol. My biggest concern is just sinking issues making certain positions difficult.

Do you know anything about sleep science? Costco has some great bundles.

mombot fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 25, 2020

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I am having an issue where the slats on my bed foundation sag on my side (im 260lb). I've been looking at different ways to reinforce it.

So far, I've come across 3 alternatives

- going to home depot and buying wood cut to the right dimensions to go in the gaps in the slats to reinforce them

- replace the slats entirely with heavy duty slats (0.75 inch) that can be bought on amazon or overstock for between 80 and 150

- Buy an ultra low profile box spring (tempurpedic has a 2 inch one) to put on top of the slats. (which costs about 300-400)

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 30, 2020

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

joepinetree posted:

I am having an issue where the slats on my bed foundation sag on my side (im 260lb). I've been looking at different ways to reinforce it.

So far, I've come across 3 alternatives

- going to home depot and buying wood cut to the right dimensions to go in the gaps in the slats to reinforce them

- replace the slats entirely with heavy duty slats (0.75 inch) that can be bought on amazon or overstock for between 80 and 150

- Buy an ultra low profile box spring (tempurpedic has a 2 inch one) to put on top of the slats. (which costs about 300-400)

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

Key thing to keep in mind is that you may need to ensure you have a sturdy center support. It sound as if your bed may be lacking that, and regardless of how strong the slats are themselves, they'll need center support.

All of that being said, I'd avoid just filling in the gaps. If your slats are bent, filling in the gaps, or just placing simple wood over them will not fix the issue. It would just be a temporary fix.

Replacing the slats entirely would be my recommendation. Either your second or third option do that (as a Tempur ultra low foundation just needs a simple angle iron frame with center support). Those Tempur foundations do not mess around, by the way.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Synastren, you are the MVP of these forums. I feel I had to say this publicly. Many thanks.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Purple havers: are you satisfied enough with your purchase that you would consider getting one for your dog or cat?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

isndl posted:

Purple havers: are you satisfied enough with your purchase that you would consider getting one for your dog or cat?

I’m 100% on board with gimmicky purple poo poo, so probably.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I really like my purple 2, no way I would buy one for my cats though.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Spikes32 posted:

I really like my purple 2, no way I would buy one for my cats though.

Well they’re cats, they’d probably ignore the bed and crawl in the box.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What are the cons of the "giant slab of latex"? I'm looking to replace an old, sagging inner spring mattress, and the Ikea Mausund looks like a decent option.

I haven't seen much discussion of latex mattresses in general though. All of the attention is on memory foam / foam, whether cheap bed-in-a-box stuff or fancy tempur-pedic.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Twerk from Home posted:

What are the cons of the "giant slab of latex"? I'm looking to replace an old, sagging inner spring mattress, and the Ikea Mausund looks like a decent option.

I haven't seen much discussion of latex mattresses in general though. All of the attention is on memory foam / foam, whether cheap bed-in-a-box stuff or fancy tempur-pedic.

Good latex is really expensive, and generally pretty dense and firm. Latex will not be as "sinky" as memory foam. Latex foam is going to feel a lot like a bouncier traditional poly foam. Non-foam latex is rubber. Latex in general is a high durability product, but it is extremely vulnerable to moisture.

There are definitely some great latex mattresses, and some mixed material mattresses that utilize latex, but I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the pure latex options.

Foam is more popular as a discussion point because virtually every company uses foam of some sort in their product; since it's everywhere, it comes up a lot.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Just wanted to post and thank you for all the info. Going to go look at a mattress firm location soon to replace our bed. We're looking for something cool, somewhat firm, in the 1k range. Hopefully we get a good salesperson to talk to.

One issue is I'm a huge goon and my wife is tiny, our current worn out mattress throws her into me

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Just wanted to post and thank you for all the info. Going to go look at a mattress firm location soon to replace our bed. We're looking for something cool, somewhat firm, in the 1k range. Hopefully we get a good salesperson to talk to.

One issue is I'm a huge goon and my wife is tiny, our current worn out mattress throws her into me

You can always PM me if you're looking at or for something specific~

Generally traditional innerspring mattresses are going to be temperature neutral. Given your budget, you would probably get the most mileage out of an innerspring comboed with some cooling accessories (e.g., tencel or frio protector and/or some cooling pillows).

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What's the difference between a regular mattress firm store and a mattress firm clearance location?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

What's the difference between a regular mattress firm store and a mattress firm clearance location?

A clearance location has clearance product on hand that you can inspect and/or leave with. A standard store can still sell clearance, but they are exceedingly unlikely to have any stocked there. Both stores can sell brand new product out of their inventories or out of the distribution center.

:eng101: Let's go with a full clearance primer!

To get this out of the way early, clearance is usually sold at about half of its normal price, barring specific brands. And I mean its real normal price, not its furniture store "normal price." Outside of one specific category, they are also usually sold as-is, and may or may not have warranty coverage, even for an additional charge.

Across the mattress industry, clearance is synonymous with secondary bedding. Those items fall into one of a few categories:
  • Pre-owned product
  • Factory overstock
  • Factory outlet
  • Discontinued product
  • Floor models

:siren: Many but not all US states require pre-owned product be sanitized before it is resold. :siren:

Furthermore, be aware that any non-factory sealed product will likely have scuffs or dirt marks on it somewhere!

Within Mattress Firm, clearance is overwhelmingly comprised of preowned mattresses that have been returned in-line with the company's comfort guarantee. That is also true of several other companies. Depending on retailer, these may or may not have warranty coverage; if given, warranty coverage over 5 years is extraordinarily rare.

Factory overstock/outlet is a unique opportunity. I've seen things from misstiched seams to "hey we have extra fabric so we're just going to crank out some modified versions of already existing product for cheap" fall into this category. This is particularly unique because this is one of two types of clearance that is actually factory sealed. Minorly defective items may or may not have warranty coverage.

Discontinued product is self explanatory. The retailer was keeping stock on hand, and the manufacturer is no longer producing the product in question. If it is brand new factory sealed never-been-opened product, it will maintain its normal warranty, you will likely just get it at a much lower price than if it were an active product.

Floor models are sold in two situations: 1) the product has been discontinued, and factory sealed stock has significantly depleted, or; 2) the floor model is "shopworn." The former case occurs to clear floor space to put down active product. The latter case occurs because the floor model is showing its age and is somewhat unattractive, or there is minor damage (e.g., a torn handle, pilling or rumpled cover). Floor models with significant damage, or floor models that are overly worn will either not be sold at all or will be sold at super, super low prices that will result in a loss for the company--but one that is better than tossing it in the recycling bin. For example, I once had corporate tell an employee to sell a $3000 mattress that was showing problems with its edge encasement to put a tag on it for $500, but sell if an offer was made over $200. If it was not sold before the replacement arrived, it was going to be trashed. As floor models are necessarily not brand new models, they are rarely sold with any sort of warranty coverage.

For what it's worth, a lot of MFRM employees make their own home purchases from the preowned inventory. Because the company has already lost money on preowned product, it is sold more cheaply to everyone, including employees. Returns are significantly more popular than floor models in many cases.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ended up going with a beautyrest pressuresmart plush. Was on the higher end of our price range because we upgraded from the queen we'd been sleeping on to a king size.

It was a compromise because I preferred the firm and she wanted the plush pillowtop.

I know it's a lower priced bed overall but walking in and seeing others around 3500 is just way too much

I also laid down on the Beautyrest Lux extra firm and it felt like laying on the floor. That thing truly is extra firm

Edit: cool, got a free adjustable base too. The adjustable part doesn't matter but I definitely needed a base since our old one would be too small.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 14, 2020

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Twerk from Home posted:

Aside from what Synastren said, it's also heavier and more difficult to move around. My latex mattress is only a full size, but it still weighs more than a 100 lbs.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

Regarding latex beds, my parents have had theirs since I guess the 70s (I’m 47 and they e had it as long as I can remember). It takes two adults to flip, but my parents flip and rotate it every month. Despite its age, it’s literally the most comfortable bed I’ve ever slept on and it’s still wonderful to sleep on with no dips or anything. I think it’s a sealy, but can’t recall. It’s one of the big name brands. Anything remotely similar is $$$$, but considering how much time of your life is spent in bed, the effect good sleep has on your health and well-being, and knowing it’s a long-term investment makes it very appealing. Oh, and there are no springs in it. My dad weighs around 170-180# and was 5’10”, but he’s shrinking so maybe 5’8” now, and my mom was 5’4”, but is probably 5’2” now and she usually weighs between 130-145#. Giving their size, as I know that plays a part.

As a single, disabled mom of four, I wish I could afford it. I did look at the ghost bed, which has a layer of latex. Anyone here have issues with the ghost bed? There’s a big sale on their site and soon at Costco. I’m wanting a split king with adjustable base. If you have info on those, I’d appreciate it. I’ve found prices from a a few hundred dollars to thousands. Some at specific mattress sites have their own that look like some I see on amaZon for cheaper.

Also, I have a spinal cord injury and lupus so a lot of pain. I used to enjoy sleeping on my stomach, but can’t with current mattress, but I’ll sleep best on stomach or side due to reflux issues.

AND I’m tired of moving to the floor for sex because the topper is too soft and you get no grip for certain positions. I have rug burns on my elbows and my lower back drat it.

Oh and Costco has some great options, but so many to choose from. Why copper? So many questions. I’ve been looking for months and I’m overwhelmed with options and just don’t want to, can’t waste money I don’t have, but I need a new bed.

There’s one online and one at Costco where one side is firm and one soft and I’m curious what y’all think.

Lastly, I think, I used to live in Illinois and Verlo was a huge mattress company there. People were nuts about it and I saw they are National now. Curious if y’all have feedback.

I’ve not been a fan of coils in the past, but I hear they’ve gotten better. I love latex like my mom’s, but I am allergic to latex, but I e heard most have it made so that allergies aren’t an issue there. My boyfriend had these hard chirobeds and I can’t to,erase them. Too hard, but I do like firmer beds. I’m around 200 pounds down from 240 and once I lose my steroid weight gain, I’ll probably settle back down to my previous 145-160 I’m guessing. I’m 5’8”. My boyfriend is 6’2” and was 160 pounds, but with me cooking for him and better meals he’s at 180 and I think a good weight.

Pain-wise, all of my joints hurt at some point, but hips, sometimes shoulders(a newer thing) and my lower back and neck ache depending on mattress.

What sales does MF have currently?

mombot fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 30, 2020

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

mombot posted:

Regarding latex beds, my parents have had theirs since I guess the 70s (I’m 47 and they e had it as long as I can remember). It takes two adults to flip, but my parents flip and rotate it every month. Despite its age, it’s literally the most comfortable bed I’ve ever slept on and it’s still wonderful to sleep on with no dips or anything. I think it’s a sealy, but can’t recall. It’s one of the big name brands. Anything remotely similar is $$$$, but considering how much time of your life is spent in bed, the effect good sleep has on your health and well-being, and knowing it’s a long-term investment makes it very appealing. Oh, and there are no springs in it. My dad weighs around 170-180# and was 5’10”, but he’s shrinking so maybe 5’8” now, and my mom was 5’4”, but is probably 5’2” now and she usually weighs between 130-145#. Giving their size, as I know that plays a part.

As a single, disabled mom of four, I wish I could afford it. I did look at the ghost bed, which has a layer of latex. Anyone here have issues with the ghost bed? There’s a big sale on their site and soon at Costco. I’m wanting a split king with adjustable base. If you have info on those, I’d appreciate it. I’ve found prices from a a few hundred dollars to thousands. Some at specific mattress sites have their own that look like some I see on amaZon for cheaper.

Also, I have a spinal cord injury and lupus so a lot of pain. I used to enjoy sleeping on my stomach, but can’t with current mattress, but I’ll sleep best on stomach or side due to reflux issues.

AND I’m tired of moving to the floor for sex because the topper is too soft and you get no grip for certain positions. I have rug burns on my elbows and my lower back drat it.

Oh and Costco has some great options, but so many to choose from. Why copper? So many questions. I’ve been looking for months and I’m overwhelmed with options and just don’t want to, can’t waste money I don’t have, but I need a new bed.

There’s one online and one at Costco where one side is firm and one soft and I’m curious what y’all think.

Lastly, I think, I used to live in Illinois and Verlo was a huge mattress company there. People were nuts about it and I saw they are National now. Curious if y’all have feedback.

I’ve not been a fan of coils in the past, but I hear they’ve gotten better. I love latex like my mom’s, but I am allergic to latex, but I e heard most have it made so that allergies aren’t an issue there. My boyfriend had these hard chirobeds and I can’t to,erase them. Too hard, but I do like firmer beds. I’m around 200 pounds down from 240 and once I lose my steroid weight gain, I’ll probably settle back down to my previous 145-160 I’m guessing. I’m 5’8”. My boyfriend is 6’2” and was 160 pounds, but with me cooking for him and better meals he’s at 180 and I think a good weight.

Pain-wise, all of my joints hurt at some point, but hips, sometimes shoulders(a newer thing) and my lower back and neck ache depending on mattress.

What sales does MF have currently?

There's a lot to unpack, but I'll do what I can, in no particular order!

Latex allergies (as far as I know) are overwhelmingly direct contact allergies, generally those reactions are presented as itching when skin comes in contact with latex. Severe latex allergies are much more rare, and can be irritated by breathing in infinitesimal amounts of anything made from rubber trees. If you fall into the second category, chances are it's been medically diagnosed, as it can cause severe, life threatening issues. If you fall into the former camp, latex in mattresses should not cause irritation, if only due to the fact that there will be multiple layers of fabric (at least!) between you and it.

I'm always skeptical about double sided mattresses. That latex one may be worthwhile, but I honestly lack the expertise to gauge its quality. Copper is generally a big "who cares" from me with respect to any sort of textile or "holistic" application. Silver is marginally better, but only because it actually has limited medical use.

Latex can last forever as long as it never gets wet. Rubber is crazy durable, but moisture will damage the product, and given the smaller size of your parents, I'm not particularly surprised the mattress has survived this long time, given that they seem to be taking mattress maintenance very seriously!

Generally speaking, pain in shoulders and hips comes down to a lack of pressure relief. In other words, that is traditionally because the top of the mattress is too hard. In contrast, spinal issues (specific medical problems notwithstanding) generally spring from a lack of support, or a misalignment of the spine. It's a bit more complex to pinpoint causes of misalignment, but it is generally due to a mismatch of body type and support. Note that you can have a firm support with adequate pressure relief, if you know what to look for. Neck pain has something in common with back pain, but is more dynamic: angle of the neck is attributed to the combination of mattress and pillow.

MF is doing the classical MF holiday sale: several major brands are doing King for Queen, Queen for Twin, and qualifying purchases also are eligible for a free head-only adjustable base (or savings on base upgrades). Qualifying nationwide brands are Simmons (Beautyrest), Serta, Sleepy's, and select Sealy mattresses. To be 100% truthful, if you get a solid quality mattress with a head+foot base in split king for $2k, that is a good value. If you look really hard you may be able to get it for a bit less, but for brand new product in that configuration, that is a good price. If you want any specific details, or are looking at anything from MF, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my ~expert opinion~ and see if I know of any other opportunities for you.

I know nothing about Verlo. They're a regional business with a few locations scattered around the country, and they have nothing about their product on their website. I'm familiar with other factory-retailer companies, and they vary in quality from "awful folks who take advantage of customers" to "just as good as what I'd expect from a premier manufacturer." The difference is almost entirely based on how well the company hires, and how they market what they produce. With no context, and based purely on their success, they're probably fine.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Actually we did get that deal and our mattress finally came in yesterday. I'm curious, wouldn't the head up base actually wear out the mattress faster, since it would bend the mattress?

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

Synestran, thank you.

The back issues and joint pain are primarily due to a spinal cord injury and lupus. I prefer being a stomach sleeper, but sleep on my side out of necessity since my current mattress makes it nearly impossible and sometimes I end up on my back if my hips hurt too much. I like a firmer mattress with just enough give that it’s kind of soft. Does that make sense? I don’t want a rock hard bed. So is medium-firm good?

Do y’all price match? Costco has some good tempur pedic sales and one of their own that has talalay latex. I’m trying to stay around 3000 or so adjustable base.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Actually we did get that deal and our mattress finally came in yesterday. I'm curious, wouldn't the head up base actually wear out the mattress faster, since it would bend the mattress?

It's only going to wear it faster if you have it fully inclined and are using it constantly to sit in. If you're using it for a bit of elevation every night to get the health benefits of that, it should have no effect on the mattress.

The only reason it would wear quicker if significantly elevated regularly for along period is because you'd be putting a disproportionate amount of your weight in a small area consistently. The bending itself has no effect on the mattress whatsoever, as far as I know. :shrug:

mombot posted:

Synestran, thank you.

The back issues and joint pain are primarily due to a spinal cord injury and lupus. I prefer being a stomach sleeper, but sleep on my side out of necessity since my current mattress makes it nearly impossible and sometimes I end up on my back if my hips hurt too much. I like a firmer mattress with just enough give that it’s kind of soft. Does that make sense? I don’t want a rock hard bed. So is medium-firm good?

Do y’all price match? Costco has some good tempur pedic sales and one of their own that has talalay latex. I’m trying to stay around 3000 or so adjustable base.

If you have the ability to go out and try them, you 100% should. Lay on them on your side in your prime sleeping position for an extended period. If you feel the need to move because of pressure on your shoulder or hip after 5ish minutes, rule that one out--it would only be worse over the course of a full night. You can go as firm as you like, absent that pressure on your side! Keep in mind, however, that things will always be firmer when you first get them relative to how they feel in the showroom.

MF price matches, but only if it's the same or comparable product. Tempur is nationally priced, and I think that they're selling last generation's collection (the Cloud/Contour lines were discontinued in ~2016). Forewarning that the Contour Surpeme is hard as gently caress. I personally did not like the Flex collection, but that collection was divisive among mattress folks; it felt super weird. The Cloud Supreme was the singular most popular Tempur model of that generation--it's so successful, that the Adapt Medium (in the current collection) is almost the same mattress. If you were going with one of those, I'd recommend the Cloud Supreme over literally either of the other two options.

If you have no idea where to start, go to your local MF, and tell them that your budget is $3k for a split king, with adjustable, after tax and delivery, along with your issues (i.e., pain in hips/shoulder, some medical complications that make you sensitive to spinal alignment, and needing to get fitted for a pillow due to neck problems). Feel free to tell them that you have a friend that works for MF across the country. If you feel like you're getting yanked around, get a formal quote from them and PM me the quote number; I'll look into it and let you know if it's fair. I don't want to make serious recommendations without seeing your preferences; even if i I did, several markets are also testing things regionally, which may fit your situation better. Absolute worst case, you can always use your experience in MF to jump off to other retailers!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

For anyone in the market, JC Penney is having a Labor Day Weekend sale on mattresses: https://www.bradsdeals.com/p/462223?c_id=5254&u_id=67424549&d=090420 - add code HOORAY3 for an extra 10% off

Ivoryman
Jul 2, 2019
I read back through a few pages and did not see anything about Sleep Number beds. My wife and I have spent the last 5 years going through 3 different mattress types and nothing really works for us. When I start asking around to friends and co-workers, it seems everyone has a Sleep Number bed and swears on God it is the best thing since sliced bread. Does anyone have experience sleeping on Sleep Number beds?

Sleep Number has a sale on their 360 Smart Beds until September 14th. I am seriously leaning toward the Sleep Number 360 iLE Limited Edition Smart Bed (50% off, why not right?). Any thoughts from experts? :)

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

For anyone in the market, JC Penney is having a Labor Day Weekend sale on mattresses: https://www.bradsdeals.com/p/462223?c_id=5254&u_id=67424549&d=090420 - add code HOORAY3 for an extra 10% off

Labor Day is the sales holiday for mattresses. Any retailer should have a special going on. Even Tempurpedic and Purple are on sale for Labor Day, for a not-insignificant discount.

Ivoryman posted:

I read back through a few pages and did not see anything about Sleep Number beds. My wife and I have spent the last 5 years going through 3 different mattress types and nothing really works for us. When I start asking around to friends and co-workers, it seems everyone has a Sleep Number bed and swears on God it is the best thing since sliced bread. Does anyone have experience sleeping on Sleep Number beds?

Sleep Number has a sale on their 360 Smart Beds until September 14th. I am seriously leaning toward the Sleep Number 360 iLE Limited Edition Smart Bed (50% off, why not right?). Any thoughts from experts? :)

Sleep Number beds fall into the same category as Tempur and Purple--they're extremely divisive. Folks either love them or hate them, with no real ambiguity. Due to its air-chamber support, Sleep Number lets you adjust how firm or soft the support is, which can be ideal for folks who have a hard time finding the right match. Generally speaking, the overall feel is quite a bit floatier, given that the support isn't solid; thinots isn't a good or bad thing, it is just the reason it is so divisive. I personally do not like the feeling. From a usability standpoint, the only thing that I feel qualified to state is that due to the build of the product, each side of the mattress will be encased. In other products, the encasement is on the edge to give support across the whole surface and to allow an area to sit on. Because of the air chamber construction, that encasement surrounds both chambers, which may result in a relatively harder ridge in the center of the bed.

Go into a store and try it out! The Sleep Number folks have some of the smoothest presentations in all of retail. Level with them with what you are looking for early, after the initial presentation, but recognize that they will certainly want to show you most of their inventory. Their warranty is also not simple.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

Thank you, Synastren.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

If I’m looking at a purple 3, is it better to get it from a retailer, or directly online? Last mattress we got was Serta iComfort from Macy’s, whose warranty was a joke. No thanks on that again!

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Sorry for the late response on PMs, folks. I've been selling beds all weekend, and the hours on holidays are no joke. I've hit everyone back, I think! I'm happy to take followup questions if anyone has them, as well.

cailleask posted:

If I’m looking at a purple 3, is it better to get it from a retailer, or directly online? Last mattress we got was Serta iComfort from Macy’s, whose warranty was a joke. No thanks on that again!

It makes virtually no difference where you purchase. The price is the same regardless of where you purchase. What varies is whether the retailer offers delivery services, and what the stock levels are.

In my market, we have Purple, so we try to keep some models on hand. If we have them, they can often be picked up the same day or delivered within a few days (depending on delivery availability). If we do not, we have to either await our next shipment, or they have to be ordered from Purple.

Purple has been quite inconsistent in their supply chain, at least within our market, even before COVID was a problem. It has intensified, but it's intermittently great.

My understanding of Purple's ordering fulfillment priority is
Purple.com -> Mattress Firm -> Other Retailers (e.g., Macy's)

If I were you, I'd check with your local retailers (if available) to get a timetable on stock. If it's not on hand, that makes the calculus more complicated (then you get to compare retailer guarantees against Purple's); if it is on hand and readily available, I would almost definitely just purchase with said retailer.

Regardless, much like pricing, the warranty is the same no matter where you purchase from. Be aware that any stains larger than about a quarter can void a mattress warranty, regardless of who makes it, and that exact protections vary within product type and manufacturer. Purple protects against a body impression greater than one inch, for example, while the industry standard for a quilted top mattress is 1.5 inches (and an all foam is 3/4ths of an inch!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

What's the story on covers for a brand new mattress? Is third party fine and good, or should you stick to e.g. purple's cover?