Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
man, westworld was so promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Snowman_McK posted:

man, westworld was so promising.

Imagine getting mad reddit figured out your twists by throwing everything at the wall so you make your second season dumb as hell lol

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Groovelord Neato posted:

Imagine getting mad reddit figured out your twists by throwing everything at the wall so you make your second season dumb as hell lol

What was the twist that was re-written? Goons repeat this over and over, but if you actually follow Westworld on Reddit, they all talk about it being a joke Nolan made in an interview. But if you know better, do tell, what was the twist they guessed?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I didn't say a twist was re-written.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Alhazred posted:

The funniest part of Battle: Los Angeles is that they make a big deal out of the fact that you have to hot the aliens on specific spots early on and then they ignore it for the rest of the movie.

I thought it was funny that a movie called Battle: Los Angeles was completely shot in New Orleans.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
they literally built the 110 freeway in LA

and by that I mean Louisiana. Hope the mosQUWEETOS and asscrack humidity was worth not having to shut down the real one

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ruddiger posted:

I thought it was funny that a movie called Battle: Los Angeles was completely shot in New Orleans.

Did you know that Star Wars was filmed entirely on earth?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Did you know that the moon landing was filmed entirely on earth?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Anonymous Zebra posted:

What was the twist that was re-written? Goons repeat this over and over, but if you actually follow Westworld on Reddit, they all talk about it being a joke Nolan made in an interview. But if you know better, do tell, what was the twist they guessed?

IIRC the only thing we know for sure to be rewritten at the last minute was just Stubbs being a host. Everything else was speculation on the whole season being needlessly convoluted and a bunch of stuff not really adding up in the end.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Iron Crowned posted:

You see it's funny though because New Orleans is in the state Louisiana, which is commonly abbreviated LA. So it's not Battle L.A., it's Battle LA.

It'd be like if Star Wars was shot entirely in a city called Star or something.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm just so tired of all these battles of LA.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Baron von Eevl posted:

You see it's funny though because New Orleans is in the state Louisiana, which is commonly abbreviated LA. So it's not Battle L.A., it's Battle LA.

It'd be like if Star Wars was shot entirely in a city called Star or something.

Tatooine is a real place!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Iron Crowned posted:

That can't be right, we only have the one lovely sun

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Iron Crowned posted:

That’s only because earth has better tax incentives than other planets.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

That can't be right, we only have the one lovely sun

They used two cameras

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Well duh. Everyone knows Gravity was the first movie to be shot in space.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Fried Watermelon posted:

They used two cameras

drat that's smart 0_O

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw a headline about a 47 Ronin "sequel" being developed and was really confused since, you know, everybody dies at the end. It turns out that it is a weird cyberpunk reimagining of the movie/original story and not actually a sequel.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Saw a headline about a 47 Ronin "sequel" being developed and was really confused since, you know, everybody dies at the end. It turns out that it is a weird cyberpunk reimagining of the movie/original story and not actually a sequel.

Does it still have Keanu Reeves? He's in a number of Cyberpunk things already, including the game Cyberpunk.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AMC Theaters sent out an email saying they're reopening at the end of August. Their big first movie they're opening with? NEW MUTANTS :lol:

Oh, also some Russell Crowe movie I've never heard of.

quote:

As for library titles, we will be showing all of these beloved movies on the big screens of AMC: Back to the Future, Beauty and the Beast, Black Panther, Bloodshot (:lol:), Ghostbusters, Goonies, Grease, I Still Believe (:lol:), Jumanji: The Next Level, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back.

A-List memberships are still on pause until you renew them. In December, if you haven't renewed yet, your membership will auto-renew.

Needless to say I'm not going to a movie in theaters for the remainder of 2020.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 13, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cinemark is doing exactly the same thing with a lot of the same movies so somebody must have put a standard package together. Cinemark is also doing a thing where you can rent a theater out for $100 with a limit of 20 people but only for those older movies not new stuff.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Anonymous Zebra posted:

my personal theory is that the bernard that's been guiding the corporations team in the present was a plant (there's a very quick scene where delores has him in VR, and is coaching him to be better at being himself) and that's what was thrown out. I'm pretty sure the whole 'two weeks later' thing never pays off at all.

It's such a well made bad show, it's genuinely impressive.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There seems to be a rule that almost any drama that comes roaring out of the gate with a white-hot first season that's super intense and relevant and gets everyone talking will, inevitably, collapse in the second.

Like it kinda makes sense, you don't know making a show if you even will get a second season, so you put all your best stuff in season one, there's no point holding back. You're living week to week. But then you get renewed and you get to tell the rest of the story and, uh, wait, what did we have for that?

Whereas a lot of shows that had a difficult first season but somehow got good enough ratings to stay around end up finding their feet.

(And then there's stuff like Mad Men, which is built less on Shocking Dramatic Revelations and is more of a slow burn. It caught people's attention from the start but it didn't front-load itself.)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

There seems to be a rule that almost any drama that comes roaring out of the gate with a white-hot first season that's super intense and relevant and gets everyone talking will, inevitably, collapse in the second.

Like it kinda makes sense, you don't know making a show if you even will get a second season, so you put all your best stuff in season one, there's no point holding back. You're living week to week. But then you get renewed and you get to tell the rest of the story and, uh, wait, what did we have for that?

Whereas a lot of shows that had a difficult first season but somehow got good enough ratings to stay around end up finding their feet.

(And then there's stuff like Mad Men, which is built less on Shocking Dramatic Revelations and is more of a slow burn. It caught people's attention from the start but it didn't front-load itself.)

I think it's also the writers not quite understanding why their stuff worked. The twist in the first season only worked because the set ups were clear and made sense. That's why the rug being pulled out is so impactful. Because these well acted, clearly drawn characters are clearly heading places, only they aren't. By contrast, the second season has a twist every five minutes, because the creators thought the twists of the first were the interesting part.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Theres also that a lot of time the first season is mostly storyboarded and given an initial drafting all at once. Theres been a couple of showrunners talking about this as a double edged sword. If the energy is going great then that momentum can carry a show through the first season easily but its hard to get it going again when they meet for season two because all the gossip about the show has affected how the writers think about it, even subconsciously.

On the inverse you can easily miss that something isn't working during the writing process and then your stuck with it until you can course correct later in the season and hope you get another to fix it. You see this in almost all Bill Lawrence shows since he's pretty insistent on having a full episode order written before filming starts. Apparently he wants everyone working on the show to get paid their full contract, and thats a lot easier to do if the network already has everything delivered before the ratings start coming in.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

AMC Theaters sent out an email saying they're reopening at the end of August. Their big first movie they're opening with? NEW MUTANTS :lol:

Oh, also some Russell Crowe movie I've never heard of.

A-List memberships are still on pause until you renew them. In December, if you haven't renewed yet, your membership will auto-renew.

Needless to say I'm not going to a movie in theaters for the remainder of 2020.

cant wait for the headline "New Mutants breaks absolute loving records at the box office"

and the Oscar goes to....NEW MUTANTS

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

muscles like this! posted:

That's hilarious. Still crossing my fingers for Ciri in 2077, since... y'know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OinRDzEbqXc

Admittedly, one of my favorite trailers of all time.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

cant wait for the headline "New Mutants breaks absolute loving records at the box office"

and the Oscar goes to....NEW MUTANTS

Imagine dying of corona because of New Mutants.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ed Harris gave one of my fav anecdotes of the 2nd season of Westworld: he (as a key antagonist) was told to ride horses alongside Evan Rachel Wood (a key protagonist) at some sand dunes, he asked "why, this makes no sense" and they told him "we'll figure it out later lol"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Ed Harris gave one of my fav anecdotes of the 2nd season of Westworld: he (as a key antagonist) was told to ride horses alongside Evan Rachel Wood (a key protagonist) at some sand dunes, he asked "why, this makes no sense" and they told him "we'll figure it out later lol"

holy poo poo this makes so much sense.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ed Harris was miserable during seasons 2 and 3, I think.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Imagine dying of corona because of New Mutants.

have the Ghana pallbearers dance with my coffin to the creepy children's choir version of Another Brick in the Wall

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Ed Harris was miserable during seasons 2 and 3, I think.

I've seen season 2, so i can get that. It's not like there wasn't some fantastic, fertile ground to explore with him after his arc in season 1, but they just ignored all of it.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

they turned him into a robbit in s3

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

edit

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 13, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Y'all are forgetting that Westworld season 1 was a loving mess behind the scenes and shut down mid-filming to retool the show for almost a year. Having a ton of extra time to see what they had that did and didn't work was a luxury they couldn't afford in the next two seasons. But that's on top of all the aforementioned problems.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

All of this is why I was so freaking happy when Damon Lindelof responded to questions about a potential Season 2 of Watchmen with (paraphrasing) "We made a self-contained story with a beginning, middle and end. If HBO wants to make a season 2, fine, but they're going to have to find someone else to do it because I won't."

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 13, 2020

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ed Harris should have stuck to military/terror melodrama, judging by his performances from The Rock, an all time cinematic classic.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

All of this is why I was so freaking happy when Damon Lindelof responded to questions about a potential Season 2 of Watchmen with (paraphrasing) "We made a self-contained story with a beginning, middle and end. If HBO wants to make a season 2, fine, but they're going to have to find someone else to do it because I won't."

I heard he also suggested they find a POC showrunner, which is pretty cool of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or they just drop Watchmen forever and stop embarrassing themselves.