Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Covok posted:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles never had a bad cartoon series. The 86 show, the 03 show, the '12 dhow, and the '18 show were all good.

I just realized that.

The "Fast Forward" spinoff was kinda bad, and there was one series with a Cyber Shredder that didn't last long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah I’m highly doubtful that we’re ever going to see a followup animated series, considering how badly they were treated with Korra. :(

I’d love to see the longer-term ramifications of Korra, considering there’s probably a whole lot of unknowns in-universe after the Avatar cycle got reset. Things like no one knowing if there’s still a way for future Avatars to get in tune with their previous life(s), how important the Avatar still is now that the physical and spiritual worlds are openly bridged together, and what Korra being a mentor figure to someone else would even look like.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Honestly, a new post-Korra Avatar series set in modern day (or at least in the equivalent of like the 50’s-70’s) could be interesting and probably a better idea than just trying to remake the original again.

I think the world of Avatar struggles the more you move it towards the present, which is part of why I feel like Korra struggled so much as a whole. If there's any future Avatar material, it should be either prequels, or I guess more comics starring Aang or Korra.

Other than that, I feel that that world should stay dead (which I realize saying is ironic since it's a show/universe where the hero's chief power is reincarnation I know but still...)

Rudoku posted:

The "Fast Forward" spinoff was kinda bad, and there was one series with a Cyber Shredder that didn't last long.

Wasn't Fast Forward just like, a season of the 03 show?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 12, 2020

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Personally I thought the most interesting part of korea was seeing how the world had progressed and how bending had influenced that

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I want to see stuff like firebending-powered space shuttles! Or a badgermole-maintained underground freeway!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I feel like you could totally do an Avatar following Korra. The Earth Kingdom has always been shown to have some dire poverty issues, and seeing an Avatar have to rise from that without support, specially from the Avatar Cycle being somewhat broken now, could be really cool.

The live action show has 2 options now: it rushes its preproduction that probably restarted from 0 the week bryke left, they cast people this winter, and force this fleet of white bread actors into New Zealand to film whenever the Power Rangers are on break. Or they try to do this right, get nowhere and it quietly gets cancelled in early 2022.

I'm gad that either way, I won't care for this project at all now. However... if it does get made, i'll at least be checking out the Toph episode to see what wrestlers they get in. Kenny Omega might fight a nine year old girl again.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Wasn't Fast Forward just like, a season of the 03 show?

Yeah. they ended up coming back to the present afterwards iirc

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Covok posted:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles never had a bad cartoon series. The 86 show, the 03 show, the '12 dhow, and the '18 show were all good.

I just realized that.

I heard that the anime was bad.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Korra S2 obliterating all the past avatar spirits kind of soured me on the whole franchise.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Asgerd posted:

Korra S2 obliterating all the past avatar spirits kind of soured me on the whole franchise.

That was always my favorite bit. gently caress Roku, in particular.

Been rewatching lately, just finished Book 1 today, and it's so often that they go "traditions are usually bad." after Aang giving every past life the middle finger (and cutting all ties with Roku in the comics), it does feel like that was going to be inevitable.

I once compared the Avatar Cycle to social media. It just gives a platform to voices that do not deserve it. And Roku is the Joe Biden of Avatars.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I heard that the anime was bad.

The only TMNT anime I’m aware of is a two part OVA. It’s....weird, I’ll say that much and while it was never brought to the west I seem to recall that a few toys related to it actually were released here.

MorningMoon posted:

Been rewatching lately, just finished Book 1 today, and it's so often that they go "traditions are usually bad." after Aang giving every past life the middle finger (and cutting all ties with Roku in the comics), it does feel like that was going to be inevitable.

I never read the comics, why did he cut off ties with Roku?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I kind of wish they had explored that angle a bit more in the second half. Like, have a scene or two (WITHOUT the evil reflection shenanigans) where she still beats herself up for loving up so badly, even if the day was ultimately saved.

Plus more one-on-one interactions between her and Raava where they try to salvage whatever they can from the old ways while trying to iron out what they’re going to do going forward, maybe?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

Its been like five years, so I might get details wrong, but the gist of it is:

Zuko is on tour getting Fire Nation colonies off of Earth Kingdomm territory, when he suddenly gets boo'd pretty bad and someone comes for his life. He's like "oh welp, i knew some firebenders would be mad at me for giving the land back to their rightful owners" but does a spittake when the would-be-assassin turns out to be an EARTHBENDER. Because her mom and dad are different kinds of benders. Turns out this was one of the first colonies, and over the past hundred years it became its own peaceful city. Zuko realizes that this issue is extremely complex and decides to stay until they can solve it. Aang waltzes in and is shocked that Zuko isn't giving the earth kingdom their city back, they get into an argument, Sokka makes a joke about how he totally knew Zuko was gonna doublecross them all along, and probably more stuff happens over like 300 pages. Roku is like "Four nations, gotta keep the balance. KILL ZUKO." Aang doesn't wanna. Roku urges him even more, but Aang sees that these people aren't really fire nation or earth kingdom anymore, and that change could bring something new and good, that it's not right to destroy their way of life. Roku yells at him to murder Zuko and Aang burns down an amulet of Roku's to severe their connection forever. And that little colony grew up to become Republic City.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

The only TMNT anime I’m aware of is a two part OVA. It’s....weird, I’ll say that much and while it was never brought to the west I seem to recall that a few toys related to it actually were released here.

Roku thought that the four nations should remain separate, and advocates for the Fire Nation colonizers to be shipped back... the problem being that some colonies were established for so long, it’s ambiguous for more than a few residents/descendants of the colonizers and the Earth Kingdom citizens they mingled with which nation they “really” belong to.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I too was disappointed with The Legend of Korra but I appreciate that Team Korra is just all her exes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Asgerd posted:

Not on the whole franchise but definitely on Korra, kinda why my future Avatar concept has the world go to poo poo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It was always gonna take a miracle for a live-action ATLA remake to be good, and I'm glad it fell apart now rather than later.
Netflix is still making it, just without them

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Still, the fact that they both rather publicly and pointedly stepped away from the project isn’t a good sign for the fans, considering the last time they did that, it was for the live action movie.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think theres like a 70% chance it never gets made. 30% that they rush preproduction, cast everyone by january and start filming in new zealand in spring or summer.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MorningMoon posted:

I once compared the Avatar Cycle to social media. It just gives a platform to voices that do not deserve it. And Roku is the Joe Biden of Avatars.

Yeah, but like, there's a difference between willfully between saying no to the past to try to find a better way around a problem and getting your past lives killed because you listened to your evil uncle.

Also I think it's unfair to dismiss all the avatars as voices that do not deserve it. It's a centuries-old tradition of peacekeepers that, by and large, were effective at their jobs. Plus they really only talk if you ask them for advice, it's not like a millennia of ghosts constantly nagging you about poo poo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, but like, there's a difference between willfully between saying no to the past to try to find a better way around a problem and getting your past lives killed because you listened to your evil uncle.

Also I think it's unfair to dismiss all the avatars as voices that do not deserve it. It's a centuries-old tradition of peacekeepers that, by and large, were effective at their jobs. Plus they really only talk if you ask them for advice, it's not like a millennia of ghosts constantly nagging you about poo poo.

Oh yeah, HOW it got there was loving stupid, but I always liked the end result.

Not all Avatars are bad, of course, but their time and ideas were turning obsolete. Roku listened the most yet in the grand scheme he perpetuated a status quo that broke into disaster.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Not on the whole franchise but definitely on Korra, kinda why my future Avatar concept has the world go to poo poo

I always felt sorry for the immediate post-Korra avatar. "Have you tried punching all your problems? You have? Okay... have you tried punching harder?"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Spirit World field trip to visit Zaheer, who mellowed the gently caress out by the time he was about to die and projected his spirit to there.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

drrockso20 posted:

Ooh are we sharing our ideas? Mine is similar, but also, in the future, bending has evolved to the point that specialties are incredibly specific, like bending glass, electronics, smoke, etc, and the distinction between elements is really unclear if at all present, while Avatars have come and gone without notice, because there's no longer any real meaning to being a master of "all 4 elements" when the elements are no longer so clear cut.

Asgerd posted:

I always felt sorry for the immediate post-Korra avatar. "Have you tried punching all your problems? You have? Okay... have you tried punching harder?"

It's kinda interesting that if Korra and Aang had been in each other's places, the conflicts would probably have been resolved in a single season... albeit possibly in different ways.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

One thing I'd want to know about the future of the avatar setting is if there was a big continent of white people on the other side of the globe that was brutally colonized and its wealth extracted.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
writing / other stuff issues not withstanding, was their really any hope for the live action avatar? like going from video essays about live action fight choreography, isnt the Borne style and quick cam cuts still plaging action movies/shows?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

One thing I'd want to know about the future of the avatar setting is if there was a big continent of white people on the other side of the globe that was brutally colonized and its wealth extracted.

Nope, just ocean between the Earth nation and the Fire nation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Avatar's world makes complete sense if you assume it's a flat earth.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

MorningMoon posted:

Its been like five years, so I might get details wrong, but the gist of it is:

Zuko is on tour getting Fire Nation colonies off of Earth Kingdomm territory, when he suddenly gets boo'd pretty bad and someone comes for his life. He's like "oh welp, i knew some firebenders would be mad at me for giving the land back to their rightful owners" but does a spittake when the would-be-assassin turns out to be an EARTHBENDER. Because her mom and dad are different kinds of benders. Turns out this was one of the first colonies, and over the past hundred years it became its own peaceful city. Zuko realizes that this issue is extremely complex and decides to stay until they can solve it. Aang waltzes in and is shocked that Zuko isn't giving the earth kingdom their city back, they get into an argument, Sokka makes a joke about how he totally knew Zuko was gonna doublecross them all along, and probably more stuff happens over like 300 pages. Roku is like "Four nations, gotta keep the balance. KILL ZUKO." Aang doesn't wanna. Roku urges him even more, but Aang sees that these people aren't really fire nation or earth kingdom anymore, and that change could bring something new and good, that it's not right to destroy their way of life. Roku yells at him to murder Zuko and Aang burns down an amulet of Roku's to severe their connection forever. And that little colony grew up to become Republic City.

this series (was called The Promise, I believe) also had a bunch of people dressed like Air Nomads that kept following Aang and trying to keep the peace whenever fighting broke out. Aang confronts them to find out if he was wrong about being the last Airbender, only to find out they're just huge fans of the culture and have started living that lifestyle based off of archival records they could find. Aang throws a huge fit over them sullying the legacy of the culture and I believe it is Katara that tells him to accept them as a way to attempt to rebuild the air nation. Also the titular promise was Zuko making Aang swear to kill him if he suddenly went all Ozai, so part of the tension with Roku continuing to tell Aang to kill Zuko had to do with that in addition to Zuko periodically reminding him as things started to heat up.

the TLA comics had some really good stuff and considering how much of The Promise is basically just the set dressing to where we start in Korra season 1 (Republic City being one of the Fire Kingdom colonies, the air acolytes, order of the white lotus being a more present organization) I'm kind of curious if that was what would have been covered if TLA had gotten a 4th season

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Legend of Korra spent way too much time on sports and shaggy dog romances and too little on the wider setting.

Also I was really disappointed when they introduced her like she was gonna be some kind of bruiser and then throughout a lot of the series she has a real dismal win ratio, and the losses get really uncomfortably brutal. It's like they made her the Worf of her own show.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
We just finished TLA again and I love how genuinely broken Azula is. Top marks to the voice actor and animators.

What I would really like is for some ai to watch every last thing Mako ever did so we can deepfake some dialogue over Iroh in season 3. The new guy does his best, but it's just not the same.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Asgerd posted:

Hence why things go so badly for the four Avatars between Korra and our new Avatar, by his time Korra is in many respects the most hated person in the world(and Aang and Roku aren't considered much better) as most of what's gone wrong in the world is pretty much considered her and her two immediate predecessors fault

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I remember as a teen thinking it would end up being a knockoff of Fullmetal Alchemist in terms of setting except with Bending in place of Alchemy

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Airbender-powered jumbo jets!

drrockso20 posted:

I remember as a teen thinking it would end up being a knockoff of Fullmetal Alchemist in terms of setting except with Bending in place of Alchemy

Yeah, I feel like the best way to handle future Avatars would be giving the setting a retro-futuristic feel to it. Basically, go all-in on the alternatives for developing modern technology that bending gives that the series already had.

For example: how would the logistics for establishing and maintaining a cellphone network play out? Or the rough equivalent to the internet? And how does it all clash (or harmonize) with the spirits who now live in the physical world?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Like always, the answer is to have it go the way of Discworld and fantasy-modernize the setting as it goes along.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

PhazonLink posted:

writing / other stuff issues not withstanding, was their really any hope for the live action avatar? like going from video essays about live action fight choreography, isnt the Borne style and quick cam cuts still plaging action movies/shows?

Yeah it's like all the logistical problems of Game of Thrones, but times ten. Fantasy/period setting that requires unique sets and costumes. Huge cast with a wide age range including a lot of really young characters. Superpowers being an integral part of the world. Literally all animal life would have to be a cgi abomination.

On the other hand it would be funny to see them deal with Appa like a dragon.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I want to see the avatar TV show with a sixties budget. No more than five actors on screen at once, film the entire thing in quarries. What do you need cgi for? Fire, water, earth and air are all real anyway. Just do a shot of katara doing karate moves and cut to a shot of someone throwing a bucket full of water on an extra. One matte painting per episode. It worked for star trek.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did they really only put half of Infinity Train on HBO Max today :(

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Did they really only put half of Infinity Train on HBO Max today :(

Yep. It's what Owen Dennis specifically wanted, too:
https://twitter.com/OweeeeenDennis/status/1293674835130716160

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Aces High posted:

this series (was called The Promise, I believe) also had a bunch of people dressed like Air Nomads that kept following Aang and trying to keep the peace whenever fighting broke out. Aang confronts them to find out if he was wrong about being the last Airbender, only to find out they're just huge fans of the culture and have started living that lifestyle based off of archival records they could find. Aang throws a huge fit over them sullying the legacy of the culture and I believe it is Katara that tells him to accept them as a way to attempt to rebuild the air nation. Also the titular promise was Zuko making Aang swear to kill him if he suddenly went all Ozai, so part of the tension with Roku continuing to tell Aang to kill Zuko had to do with that in addition to Zuko periodically reminding him as things started to heat up.

the TLA comics had some really good stuff and considering how much of The Promise is basically just the set dressing to where we start in Korra season 1 (Republic City being one of the Fire Kingdom colonies, the air acolytes, order of the white lotus being a more present organization) I'm kind of curious if that was what would have been covered if TLA had gotten a 4th season

I feel like a season 4 would've just been the stuff they wanted to get in during production that they missed out on, like Zuko's mom and getting to render the lionturtle right. The Promise was half a year after Korra's premiere, so I gotta imagine they came up with the backstory of Republic City during preproduction and eventually decided it'd be great to explore in a comic.

Also I just wanna post my thoughts on book 1
Very good! Overall very good, the war makes even the worst episodes very interesting in just how people's lives are affected. Sokka gets the bulk of growth and it's really refreshing right now to see a guy who had a very narrow worldview quickly change as he sees what the world has to offer and how that reshapes him into a better man. Katara, Aang, and Zuko are also really good, refreshing main characters. Animation is stunning a lot of times.
The only nitpicks is that the animation can also be really uneven, but by episode 17 it feels like they have solidified the style. There's a few clunkers here and there (Great Divide, the Northern Air Temple has some pacing issues even if i really like the themes it dives into) but the main issue is that the Northern Water Tribe needed more than 3 episodes. There's just too many ideas that don't get enough time, and Yue is tied to them so it makes her death feel super cheap. The betrothal necklace, her birth with the moon powers, GranGran being from the NWT, these things go way too quickly, and Aang's fish kaiju form doesnt feel too satisfying as a climax, specially when Zuko fights and fails the whole night but still offers his hand to Zhao, to the fire nation itself, and the response is pride and death.
There's also something funny in those episodes where Katara asks Sokka about his warrior training once, but this never came up before or after.

Makes me even more excited for Book 2. I always had the mental image of Book 2 just being a million times better, but now I can see Book 1 was really, really good, just had some mistakes, and in retrospect, it's correcting those mistakes what gives Book 2 that shine. I mean, the climax is what bums me out of Book 1, but a single episode into Book 2 and I can already see how they're already building up those final minutes. And they fix the NWT mistake by having eight episodes in Ba Sing Se.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Just a heads up. The first 5 episodes of Infinity Train: Book 3 are available on HBO Max if you have it. Looks to be intense this time.