Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I’m talking actual worm like parasites inside the meat/fish look it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Woden posted:

The reason you have to sear beef is because the outside can be covered in bacteria, for mince/ground meat/chicken the bacteria is all throughout the meat and that's why you have to cook it all the way through.

Also produce is literally covered in poo poo

E: what I'm saying all food is super gross and filled with disgusting stuff if you don't prepare it right

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 13, 2020

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

hey man if this was at a potluck or smth and there was enough for everyone, i'd try just one scoop. i'm pretty certain i wouldn't get a second, but it's something you do just once, in your entire life.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I can't remember the last time I had Mt Dew but iirc it's just a citrus kinda flavour. I'm pretty sure that ice cream tastes exactly like sherbet flavour or artificial lime flavour.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Barudak posted:

Hey we cooked this delicious fish meal but oh-ho-ho-ho its chockfull of hundreds of tiny dagger bones, broken randomly as the meat cleaver smashed through them, so you must chew each bite with care and precision lest your mouth become like a hunted whale. Take them out before we cook them? Preposterous, the bones contain the ~flavor~

Everytime they order fish they ask "why do you eat so slow? Do you hate fish???"

You ever notice that no one else who eats fish is constantly choking or bleeding from the mouth?

You ever pause to wonder why that is?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Big Beef City posted:

You ever notice that no one else who eats fish is constantly choking or bleeding from the mouth?

You ever pause to wonder why that is?

people who don't care about bones in fish don't chew they just put it on some hot rice and swallow it whole. if it scratches in your throat just eat more hot rice

i learned this from my mom when i was four

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Do it ironically posted:

I’m talking actual worm like parasites inside the meat/fish look it up

I've filleted 100s of kilos of fish in my career and can safely say that most fish is not eaten through with parasites. It absolutely does happen, but its not as regular as you're making it out to be. On a similar note:

Certain Americans, especially African-Americans, have some really wild ideas about pork that have been pushed by the Nation of Islam to the point that there are a lot of people in those communities that simply won't touch the stuff. Some believe that pigs have bile ducts throughout their body that causes infection of the meat and that they are raised on garbage and eat their own poo poo, are infected with tapeworms, etc. Obviously there will always be some marginal risk associated with consuming any farmed animal protein but the beliefs some of these communities hold are really far from the truth.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i can't eat dolmades because a few years ago i got incredibly, spectacularly drunk at a family gathering and threw up my stomach contents, which consisted entirely of dolmades. i've drunkenly thrown up many things at many times, but for some reason that specific flavour is the only one that got wired into my brain so whenever i try to send some down, i remember how it tasted on the way back up again and my gut revolts. which is really sad, because i loved dolmades. a while ago i went with a friend to a greek restaurant, and she tried to order "three dolmades" because she really wanted some and i was regretfully unable to help her finish a full serve; but instead of three individual leaves they brought us three whole platters, i was obviously useless in that situation, so she got a takeaway container and had dolmades for days

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The White Dragon posted:

people who don't care about bones in fish don't chew they just put it on some hot rice and swallow it whole. if it scratches in your throat just eat more hot rice

i learned this from my mom when i was four

Have you tried eating more hot rice?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Barudak posted:

Hey we cooked this delicious fish meal but oh-ho-ho-ho its chockfull of hundreds of tiny dagger bones, broken randomly as the meat cleaver smashed through them, so you must chew each bite with care and precision lest your mouth become like a hunted whale. Take them out before we cook them? Preposterous, the bones contain the ~flavor~

Everytime they order fish they ask "why do you eat so slow? Do you hate fish???"
I suspect there is some very useful occupation you are well-suited for given your ability to feel pain where other people feel nothing.

Though who am I to talk, I cannot really drink soda because it burns my pathetic baby throat so badly that I cannot understand why anyone likes carbonation. Though at least soda is flavored pain; I would have to be literally about to die from thirst before I would drink sparkling water

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

I suspect there is some very useful occupation you are well-suited for given your ability to feel pain where other people feel nothing.

Its not a me thing, every other non-Chinese part of my family or American guests that eats with them is like "why are their broken bones everywhere in these fish?" If you've not experienced it, please come visit rural china and feel the joy of the tiny fish and the infinite bonestorm

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Barudak posted:

Its not a me thing, every other non-Chinese part of my family or American guests that eats with them is like "why are their broken bones everywhere in these fish?" If you've not experienced it, please come visit rural china and feel the joy of the tiny fish and the infinite bonestorm
Oh perfect, I am on my way now. Could definitely use a bonestorm in my life. And more hot rice

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I can't remember the last time I had Mt Dew but iirc it's just a citrus kinda flavour. I'm pretty sure that ice cream tastes exactly like sherbet flavour or artificial lime flavour.

i have had Mt. Dew once in my life.

it was in Big Gulp form and before i finished it i started getting heart palpitations so my chaperone took it away from me because she didn't want me to die.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Strumpie posted:

i have had Mt. Dew once in my life.

it was in Big Gulp form and before i finished it i started getting heart palpitations so my chaperone took it away from me because she didn't want me to die.

Does it have caffeine in it or something?

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Does it have caffeine in it or something?

:shrug:

i only drink water.

e: i should add the only reason i had a Mt. Dew Big Gulp is because it came with my Taco Bell (also a first for me)
ee: this is the Taco Bell for those who were curious
eee: the persons in that Taco Bell are not me. it's just what they had.

Strumpie fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 13, 2020

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
lol it has three loving times the amount of caffeine coke has. It's over the limit for how much caffeine a soft drink is supposed to have in it according to the FDA.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
i tried to get a hot wiener from the 7-11 (7 Eleven?) just a couple steps West of that Taco Bell but my chaperone told me i would die if i did (this was pre me almost dying from the Mt. Dew).

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

lol it has three loving times the amount of caffeine coke has. It's over the limit for how much caffeine a soft drink is supposed to have in it according to the FDA.

Wow. Is it the same outside of the US? (Like American Coke is different to the Coke sold elsewhere)

The times I have drunk Mountain Dew, I didn't notice the caffeine, I just thought it was insanely saturated with sugar.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
so my question is, was she being unreasonably weird about food to say i'd die of suspect sausage and three times the lethal dose of Mt. Dew?

you decide.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Tonight I ate a grilled hot dog with ratatouille on it.
It was delicious.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Strumpie posted:

i tried to get a hot wiener from the 7-11 (7 Eleven?) just a couple steps West of that Taco Bell but my chaperone told me i would die if i did (this was pre me almost dying from the Mt. Dew).

Someone needs to get you under a warm blanket and just belt you to a bed, nice and safe.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Strumpie posted:

:shrug:

i only drink water.

similar to a little child

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

similar to a little child

well i was violent alcoholic for a while but i decided that was probably bad.

call me a child, if you will.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

you alcoholic little manbaby

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Das Boo posted:

Tonight I ate a grilled hot dog with ratatouille on it.
It was delicious.

There was a GRILLED HOT DOG here.
It's gone now.

Woden
May 6, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

Wow. Is it the same outside of the US? (Like American Coke is different to the Coke sold elsewhere)

The times I have drunk Mountain Dew, I didn't notice the caffeine, I just thought it was insanely saturated with sugar.

Mt Dew in some countries has or had zero caffeine.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Mountain Dew in Canada does not have caffeine afaik.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
No wonder there's all those stereotypes about Mountain Dew being like cocaine for teenagers on the internet, I'm pretty sure down here it's basically just Sprite.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Cilantro is good

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mountain Dew originally had a moonshiner mascot (its name being a joke on that) so to hear its not loaded with caffeine in other markets is an interesting moment of finding out the radical hillbillyendectomy worked.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

"I believe mountain dew code red is superior" - Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig

https://www.somethingawful.com/hosted/firemancomics/baseball.htm

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

I threw up blueberry pancakes when I was a little kid so now blueberries give me gag reactions. I've tried to get over it but nothin' doing. All the foods I've thrown up as an adult? Perfectly fine, would eat again. Something about throwing up foods when your brain's still forming, I guess.

I managed to make myself like so many foods I used to hate as a child in my mid twenties. I was like man I can't avoid mushrooms or peas or okra forever this is stupid, they're in everything. Only vegetable I couldn't manage was summer squashes. They taste so terrible the gently caress is wrong with everyone. also I hate crustaceans. I used to love shrimp as a kid but now I hate them, I don't know what happened there.

There was this guy I used to live with that ONLY liked chicken when it was really dry. as dry as possible. Also I watched him salt a cup of noodles once. I don't know if this will surprise anyone but that dude was constantly making GBS threads.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
A co-worker offered me those yogurt Skittles the other day and even just biting into one made me reflexively bolt to spit it out into the trash. I'm not really down with yogurt-covered dry foods in general--cereal, trail mix, etc.

Yogurt itself is delicious and I go out of my way to get the full fat, Greek kind but something about covering another food in yogurt and dehydrating it until it's a weird, sweet, creamy shell is absolutely abhorrent to my body. Indian food? Fantastic. Just eating some yogurt or yogurt in oatmeal? Great. Weird, dried yogurt on another food? gently caress YOU.

I also violently hate chocolate covered raisins. It's the sweet shell on sweet with that dry/creamy texture that grosses me the hell out.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Mountain Dew in Canada does not have caffeine afaik.

I lived in St. John's, NF for a few years and this was one of the most puzzling things to me because why the hell would you have Mountain Dew without the caffeine? For the flavor? Lol, ok. There also was no loving cherry Coke or cherry Pepsi on the entire island, which I still don't understand.

Also I have no idea why the pizza there had the pepperoni as huge, thin sheets under the cheese so that if you bit into a slice everything slid off and it was loving awful. Pizza Hut was the best pizza I had while living there and that is shameful.

On the other hand, I would shank my mother for some good fish and chips with dressing and gravy. Dressing and gravy is such an amazing addition to virtually any meal that I have no idea why we as Americans haven't adopted it already.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I eat everything

Jokes on me though I got diagnosed coeliac two weeks ago so now I have to be the insufferable "excuse me had a crumb of gluten touched my food" person

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

abigserve posted:

I eat everything

Jokes on me though I got diagnosed coeliac two weeks ago so now I have to be the insufferable "excuse me had a crumb of gluten touched my food" person

Better to be that person than bloated or making GBS threads all the time. Condolences

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I know a woman who claimed to be allergic to all foodstuffs and ingredients not found in Italy and was very surprised to learn tomatoes are not native to the country.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Barudak posted:

I know a woman who claimed to be allergic to all foodstuffs and ingredients not found in Italy and was very surprised to learn tomatoes are not native to the country.

Would you have described this person as "demonstrably italian"?

edit: ffs searching for a non-horny picture of a lady mario proved harder that I expected.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

empty sea posted:

Yogurt itself is delicious and I go out of my way to get the full fat, Greek kind but something about covering another food in yogurt and dehydrating it until it's a weird, sweet, creamy shell is absolutely abhorrent to my body. Indian food? Fantastic. Just eating some yogurt or yogurt in oatmeal? Great. Weird, dried yogurt on another food? gently caress YOU.

Greek yogurt (plain) works well as a topping/dip if you think about it as similar to sour cream.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Grape posted:

Greek yogurt (plain) works well as a topping/dip if you think about it as similar to sour cream.

Greek yogurt + lemon juice + olive oil + finely minced garlic + dill + salt and pepper is a good dip. Add de-seeded grated cucumber that you salted to draw the extra water out of for like an hour and you've got an okay tzatziki.

I say 'okay' because cucumber's been so entwined with hair/skin products I use that I can't think of it as edible anymore, it's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Strumpie posted:

Why do you have a person following you around and deciding what you're allowed to eat?