Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

feedmyleg posted:

What's a really trippy mystery film? An investigation that just gets weird. Ideally supernatural, but open to straighter stuff.

Have you seen Under The Silver Lake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwgUesU1pz4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

feedmyleg posted:

What's a really trippy mystery film? An investigation that just gets weird. Ideally supernatural, but open to straighter stuff.

Depends on your definition of weird but I really really liked Inherent Vice. Angel Heart fits for sure. Audition (ideally go in blind).

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

feedmyleg posted:

Hmm, these might not be as trippy/mystery as you are hoping for, but three came to mind: The Ninth Gate, Society and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Wild card: Paprika. A big budget animated film with plenty of bizarre visuals (~50% of the film takes place in dreams/delusions). Memorable music as well.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

The Wicker Man, God Told Me To, Cast a Deadly Spell, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

The Changeling, Wolfen, Exorcist III, Inferno, Next of Kin, The Howling, Angel Heart, Lord of Illusions, Creepy (2016) Cure, Retribution (2006), When a Stranger Calls/Back, and for non-horror/supernatural Cutter’s Way, Bunny Lake Is Missing, and See No Evil (1971)

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 1, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

If you've watched a lot of the Hitchcock films from the 60's and earlier there's a ton of references to them. The style of filming and editing is even modeled after those older films.

(It's made by the "It Follows" director by the way.)

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Just watched the first post-Covid-19 movie with the characters in lockdown.

"Host" on Shudder.

The characters are on video chat and summon a demon.

It's really, really, really bad.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

feedmyleg posted:

How weird will you go? Maybe try The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears. Warning... It's highly surreal.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Could anyone recommend any movies set in Northern Canada, Alaska or Greenland?

The Edge 1997
Arctic 2018
The Snow Walker 2003

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Eyes Wide Shut

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Mulholland Drive?

Also, does Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon hold up? I just watched Touch of Zen again and would like another great martial arts epic.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Mulholland Drive?

Also, does Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon hold up? I just watched Touch of Zen again and would like another great martial arts epic.

absolutely, and if you just watched Touch of Zen and/or Dragon Inn it’s cute seeing just how Unashamed it is of being a love letter to those movies

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I have a group of friends that I've been doing some online movie nights with and I'm looking for suggestions for the next one.

I've mostly focused on movies that are absurd and/or so-bad-it's-good in a way that's fun to watch in a casual group atmosphere. So far we have watched The Room and Hausu, both of which were pretty well received.

I think the main thing is that they should be watchable and fun. And also they don't need to be just traditionally bad movies - weird/fringe/experimental is fine too.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Phantom of the Paradise

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Death Bed: The Bed That Eats

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Love Potion #9 is a cute comedy with charming leads (a young Sandra Bullock and Tate Donovan), with the most insane premise ever: "what if you could date rape anyone! Wouldn't that be cool?"

Really has to be seen to be believed. The 90s were a strange time.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Oh and for weird / experimental / strange but also good, Tetsuo: The Iron Man.

Watched this muted while someone was spinning drum'n'bass and it was an amazing experience. Also, I was on mushrooms so that might have contributed

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

regulargonzalez posted:

Oh and for weird / experimental / strange but also good, Tetsuo: The Iron Man.

Watched this muted while someone was spinning drum'n'bass and it was an amazing experience. Also, I was on mushrooms so that might have contributed
Funnily enough I actually almost explicitly called out Tetsuo as an example of what I didn't want! My friends are pretty open minded but I'm trying to avoid body horror type weird poo poo, I'm not sure it would sit super well with them. (Manos was the other movie I almost called out, since it's classically "bad" but also a totally painful slog)

I will look in to these recs though! And please feel free to keep suggesting, I'm really hoping to find some obscure gems. Hausu was a transcendent experience that I'd like to reproduce if it's remotely possible.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Popcorn

Class of Nuke 'Em High

The Visitor

Tampopo

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Liquid Sky

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Liquid Sky is absolutely great but it's not a fun group watch at all.

I suggest Robowar or Tammy and the T-Rex (the gore cut).

Any excuse to post the Robowar score:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDeC-veIPXY

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’ve been doing a similar movie night with friends. Here are some of the better ones we’ve done:
Tammy and the T-Rex, A Talking Cat!?!, Miami Connection, Cats, Gymkata, Samurai Cop, Vampire’s Kiss, Hawk Jones, Mac and Me, Quigley, The Apple, Little Italy

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T
Night of the Comet
The American Astronaut

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T
Night of the Comet
The American Astronaut
YESSSS

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I want something with fog, sweaters, seaside, and maybe a fishing village. Ideally something spooky, but not necessarily. Perhaps a melancholic atmosphere, but not necessarily.

Already seen but would fit the bill: The Lighthouse, The Fog, The Wicker Man, and a bunch of BBC folk horror.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I want something with fog, sweaters, seaside, and maybe a fishing village. Ideally something spooky, but not necessarily. Perhaps a melancholic atmosphere, but not necessarily.

Already seen but would fit the bill: The Lighthouse, The Fog, The Wicker Man, and a bunch of BBC folk horror.

Messiah of Evil

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Did you see Blow the Man Down already?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

feedmyleg posted:

Cold Skin (meh), Dead and Buried (yess).

edit: Dagon!

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 17, 2020

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I only saw a few bits and pieces back when it came out, but I have heard good things. If you aren't turned off by subtitled Oscar-nominated foreign films, maybe check out Leviathan (2014).
I'll finally watch it this weekend too, if anyone else agrees that my half-assed recommendation fits the theme.

Also, feedmyleg, what did you end up going with for your mystery film that gets ~weird~?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Roumba posted:

Also, feedmyleg, what did you end up going with for your mystery film that gets ~weird~?

Angel Heart was dope as hell 😎

Been on my list for ages. But I'll definitely return to those suggestions when I swing back to that mood. And I'm mulling over these foggy films but Messiah has been on my list for ages so that seems right.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

feedmyleg posted:

Insomnia ticks some of those boxes.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

The Turin Horse only explicitly fits some of your requirements but thematically I think it's just what you're looking for.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
looking for poo poo with the same sort of utter existential dread and hopelessness that First Reformed has

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Stunt_enby posted:

looking for poo poo with the same sort of utter existential dread and hopelessness that First Reformed has

It's basically a remake of Bergman's Winter Light, with a dash of Taxi Driver, so try those if you haven't already.

Other films to try would be I Stand Alone, Naked, and Melancholia

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Stunt_enby posted:

If you go the religious-y route, there's Calvary, Corpus Christi, Silence, Secret Sunshine, Of Gods and Men, Embrace of the Serpent, Timbuktu, and Osama.

And for more general stuff there's always The Nightingale, Burning, Leviathan (2014), Amour, Dancer in the Dark, and echoing Origami you could dive headfirst into Bergman's filmography for plenty of home runs.

Prune
Aug 17, 2020

feedmyleg posted:

Not quite seaside but would check spooky and melancholic, I would recommend Lake Mungo.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

feedmyleg posted:

The Vanishing (2018)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Y'all are too good at this, I've had to make a Letterboxd list. Good thing I'm in the mood for depressing foggy seaside movies all the time these days.