Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

honestly I forgot he had giant satellite dishes on his skull, I was just thinking brunt had smaller ears than quark but I was under the impression brunt had more cash money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.
Was watching TNG tonight while making dinner and it was the episode where the Enterprise makes first contact with a planet about to achieve warp, and I completely forgot the cameo by Frasier's wife who forces Riker to bang her to fulfill her alien sex fantasy. It's a pretty :lol: moment in an episode that is all "extremely serious business".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Was watching TNG tonight while making dinner and it was the episode where the Enterprise makes first contact with a planet about to achieve warp, and I completely forgot the cameo by Frasier's wife who forces Riker to bang her to fulfill her alien sex fantasy. It's a pretty :lol: moment in an episode that is all "extremely serious business".

I'm p sure Riker's all like 'Yeah, I had this coming.'

Mind you this is Lillith we're talking about here.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
This time around watching ds9 makes me want Avery Brooks to play Lorq von Ray in a film adaptation of Nova.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I was just thinking about the TNG episode where they play poker with the great scientific thinkers of history and Stephen Hawking is there, still in the chair. Like, I understand why it had to be that way if they wanted to let the professor be on the show(the production team would need to cure ALS), but in universe it still means they used a piece of technology so advanced that it can summon into existence anything in any permutation, to bring a man back to life with his full range of mental faculties, while making the deliberate choice to leave him a human pretzel hooked to a Speak & Spell.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i think that's a pretty ableist characterisation tbh

Nov 6, 2002

Yeah, that's kind of a ridiculous complaint. If they brought back FDR should he have been doing backflips?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

hawkins was quite insitent that he was glad he ended up in the chair. it made him who he was

also he was a massive horndog but that's a whole separate thing

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, that's kind of a ridiculous complaint. If they brought back FDR should he have been doing backflips?

Yes? You cast a level 9 science magic spell to summon a version of someone who in life suffered from a horrible degenerative illness with the illness fully in effect for the sake of, what, verisimilitude?

Nov 6, 2002

mysterious frankie posted:

Yes? You cast a level 9 science magic spell to summon a version of someone who in life suffered from a horrible degenerative illness with the illness fully in effect for the sake of, what, verisimilitude?

What is the point of the exercise if not to see and experience them as they were?

Otherwise why not just simulate Hawkings mind in the body of a gorilla with a rocket launcher?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

What is the point of the exercise if not to see and experience them as they were?

Otherwise why not just simulate Hawkings mind in the body of a gorilla with a rocket launcher?

The very definition of a bad example

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Otherwise why not just simulate Hawkings mind in the body of a Gorilla with a rocket launcher?

Weird extrapolation. Why not create a Hawkings that can use his hands to play poker or, say, itch his nose=why not just make him a monkey wrought from cheese? Why not make him the poker table?

If a vital part of the experience is temporarily resurrecting a crippled man with accurate conditions they shouldn’t have made him with the little robotic poker arm. They should have also generated PhD candidates that hover around him, leaning close to receive his muttered poker instructions, then playing the cards for him. Otherwise, what’s the point of the exercise, apparently.

Nov 6, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The very definition of a bad example

If he was in a gorilla he could smash the table when dealt a bad hand and use the rocket launcher to blow up his opponents.

If a vital part of the experience is temporarily resurrecting a crippled man with accurate conditions they shouldn’t have made him with the little robotic poker arm. They should have also generated PhD candidates that hover around him, leaning close to receive his muttered poker instructions, then playing the cards for him. Otherwise, what’s the point of the exercise, apparently.

Also dumb. Hovering PhD candidates are neither part of Hawkings body nor his mind. They are not him. His body, in that wheelchair, was an important attribute that contributed in an extremely meaningful way his entire life to the person he was.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

hawkins did not resent his condition and his is the only opinion which matters

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Also dumb. Hovering PhD candidates are neither part of Hawkings body nor his mind. They are not him.

In life Hawking’s chair never had a robotic arm that allowed him to independently receive, arrange, then present cards to the table. By dint of its inclusion the entire point of the game is, by your rules, rendered meaningless. Anarchy has been loosed upon Friday night poker.

Nov 6, 2002

In life Hawking’s chair never had a robotic arm that allowed him to independently receive, arrange, then present cards to the table. By dint of its inclusion the entire point of the game is, by your rules, rendered meaningless. Anarchy has been loosed upon Friday night poker.

Having the robotic arm attachment so it can move some chips around for the convenience of the game doesn't change who he is. Him being able to stand and walk and move them with own arms would. It would not represent the same person.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

oh but seriously I posted:

his is the only opinion which matters

Not when you’re making a clone of him for funsies. Actually respecting him would mean not creating a fake Hawking to go on adventures with. Once you’ve crossed that bridge, of making an accurate simulation of a real person and putting them in situations for your pleasure without their explicit consent, your actions have shown a fundamental selfishness. So the only question that remains is what does how you remake them say about you. Imo, making a fully ALS’d Hawking kinda says you lack basic empathy. Bring him back before his illness rendered him unable to perform basic functions unaided. Why is that specific Hawkings preferable? Because you enjoy the aesthetic of this specific chairbound man?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Having the robotic arm attachment so it can move some chips around for the convenience of the game doesn't change who he is. Him being able to stand and walk and move them with own arms would. It would not represent the same person.

We don’t see him press buttons to manipulate the arm. So is he controlling it with his mind? Sounds like they gave Hawkings telekinesis, or maybe a neurological implant that allowed him to control the arm. This is unacceptable. Only way to ensure the game is a meaningful experience is to let him watch the game as other people play.

Nov 6, 2002

We don’t see him press buttons to manipulate the arm.

Why would we see this? By the time he participated in this episode he had already lost the use of his hands and used the movement of muscles in his cheek to interface with a computer.

Nov 6, 2002

Not when you’re making a clone of him for funsies. Actually respecting him would mean not creating a fake Hawking to go on adventures with. Once you’ve crossed that bridge, of making an accurate simulation of a real person and putting them in situations for your pleasure without their explicit consent, your actions have shown a fundamental selfishness. So the only question that remains is what does how you remake them say about you. Imo, making a fully ALS’d Hawking kinda says you lack basic empathy. Bring him back before his illness rendered him unable to perform basic functions unaided. Why is that specific Hawkings preferable? Because you enjoy the aesthetic of this specific chairbound man?

The entire holodeck simulation is about Data. The characters being simulated are not actually alive, so why would their wants, desires or dignity play any factor in Data's decision to create a simulation that accurately represents what they were like in real life?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Not when you’re making a clone of him for funsies. Actually respecting him would mean not creating a fake Hawking to go on adventures with.

that's.... probably right, actually. however

Bring him back before his illness rendered him unable to perform basic functions unaided. Why is that specific Hawkings preferable? Because you enjoy the aesthetic of this specific chairbound man?

that's the hawkins that achieved all his achievements. he didn't revolutionise black hole physics as an able-bodied young fuckaround man. he did that later and that's probably the fascicle you'd like to meet

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Why would we see this? By the time he participated in this episode he had already lost the use of his hands and used the movement of muscles in his cheek to interface with a computer.

We need hard, inarguable evidence he is using his cheek to control the arm, in order to confirm that the amount of variation from source is sufficiently below tolerance level so as to remain Meaningful. If we don’t have confirmation, why not make him Santa Claus, or a cloud of pollen suspended in the air? It’s chaos!
—-
Also, humorous pedantry aside, it’s kinda lol to imagine Geordi sitting at a terminal, programming himself up a Hawking and specifically writing in a mechanical arm with cheek controls, then making changes to Hawkings brain so he’d know how to use it, maybe arguing with a future version of me on the internet about the decision.

Nov 6, 2002

Ello Guv'na! It's me Stephen Hawking, just as the 'ol world remembers me! Fancy a game of poker mate?

Nov 6, 2002

Also, humorous pedantry aside, it’s kinda lol to imagine Geordi sitting at a terminal, programming himself up a Hawking and specifically writing in a mechanical arm with cheek controls, then making changes to Hawkings brain so he’d know how to use it, maybe arguing with a future version of me on the internet about the decision.

Geordi would have programmed Hawkins to fall in love with him.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

The entire holodeck simulation is about Data. The characters being simulated are not actually alive, so why would their wants, desires or dignity play any factor in Data's decision to create a simulation that accurately represents what they were like in real life?

IMO Data obviously needs stricter observation and restriction of duties that could impact the wellbeing of the crew. There’s a careless darkness in him evidenced by this almost accurate, but slightly augmented for convenience, Hawking.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Ello Guv'na! It's me Stephen Hawking, just as the 'ol world remembers me! Fancy a game of poker mate?

passes the turing test IMO

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Geordi would have programmed Hawkins to fall in love with him.

HAWKING: why. do. I. have. big. rocking. knockers.

GEORDI: well, I read an interesting article about... think Geordi... physiolo...

HAWKING: not. that. I’m. complaining. aaaaaaaaawoooooooga.

Nov 6, 2002

GEORDI: Professor, can you help me calculate the alpha-wave transwarp injector ratio?

HAWKING: does. that. visor. get. you. mad. pussy?

GEORDI: Woah! Professor, that's not something I really want to talk about.

HAWKING: i. would. be. getting. it. wet. all. the. time.

GEORDI: Uh ok, can we stick to the calculations please?

HAWKING: i. see. still. a. virgin.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

GEORDI: Professor, can you help me calculate the alpha-wave transwarp injector ratio?

HAWKING: does. that. visor. get. you. mad. pussy?

GEORDI: Woah! Professor, that's not something I really want to talk about.

HAWKING: i. would. be. getting. it. wet. all. the. time.

GEORDI: Uh ok, can we stick to the calculations please?

HAWKING: i. see. still. a. virgin.

Lol

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

This is possibly the dumbest argument.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the biggest issue with tng isn't that data would casually update historical figure holograms for convenience or that geordi never gets laid, it's that geordi didn't install a phaser in his visor so he can cyclops bad guys

Nov 6, 2002

blatman posted:

the biggest issue with tng isn't that data would casually update historical figure holograms for convenience or that geordi never gets laid, it's that geordi didn't install a phaser in his visor so he can cyclops bad guys

Woah there! You think Star Fleet is some kind of military operation?? We're just "explorers", that's all!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Woah there! You think Star Fleet is some kind of military operation?? We're just "explorers", that's all!

It’s not military so long as you put the ability to decimate entire solar systems inside an outwardly innocuous, inviting shell that still intimates the ability to commit great violence. So basically just hot glue a Live Laugh Love wall decor thing to the front of the visor and you can stick any sort of ordnance in it, no problem.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

as long as your extremely mobile death star has a bar and a few hologram sex dens you're still allowed to register the ship as a diplomatic vessel

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

BYSTANDER: did that man just fire an isokinetic blast from his glasses?
ADMIRAL: Not glasses. “Diplomatic Face Gear” We painted them beige.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

blatman posted:

it'd be weird for Geordi to turn up to poker night or drinks at ten forward or his day job in engineering carrying a gun. probably considered anti-social in the enlightened 24th century.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Cerv posted:

it'd be weird for Geordi to turn up to poker night or drinks at ten forward or his day job in engineering carrying a gun. probably considered anti-social in the enlightened 24th century.

Obviously he'd have a selection of visors he'd switch between, each with its own wacky abilities. This one blows bubbles!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Two weeks ago the Federation was almost taken over by space worms and no one followed up on the sos their leader sent home before dying. Last week the omnipotent prankster who has a crush on bothering the exceptionally repressed Sir Joseph Porter rear end baldo we made captain of our flagship vessel violently introduced known occupied space to a group of cyborgs that are very interested in having us join their tech startup. But, yeah, turbonerd’s laser head is my main concern, definitely.

Honestly, living in the Trek murderverse, I’d be pretty ok with someone I trust being near me & packing at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Peachfart posted:

This is possibly the dumbest argument.

oh, we can get dumber

I FIGURED OUT TO FIX THE BORG

step 1)