Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Anyone here watch Midway? Its on HBO Max, was thinking about it

It’s a completely hollow version of the 1976 movie, and instead of Henry Fonda and Toshiro Mifune you get Dennis Quaid and Woody Harrelson phoning in performances that are boring at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Lechtansi posted:

Don’t give any money to DC universe - it’s pretty much DOA. I think everything is on HBO Max by this point, right?

HBO got all the comics?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
She Dies Tomorrow was....ok? I was pretty eh on it until it becomes apparent its "spreading" and I was fine with it being pretty abstract but I was at least hoping the ending wouldnt be quite as ambiguous as it was .

Still an interesting debut from Seimetz and it was a pretty poignant message about anxiety but not sure if it was strong enough to justify it being a feature. Would probably have been a much better short.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Little Monters (2019) is on Hulu. Saw it, and ehh... it was fine. I love Lupita Nyong'o :allears: and she was great, but as much as the movie tried, it could not get me to like the guy lead at all. Josh Gad had some funny moments, but overall, nothing really standout about the film. Felt it was basically just a milquetoast romcom with a tired zombie gimmick.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Now you should watch 2006's Little Children, available on HBO. It rules.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Junkie Disease posted:

HBO got all the comics?

Considering the entire DC universe staff was just laid off, I have no idea where the comics are going. Good luck I guess?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Looking for good sketch comedy TV shows on US Netflix, Amazon, Youtube. I like Key & Peele, Mitchell & Webb, WKUK, Mr Show.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Have you seen I Think You Should Leave on Netflix?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, that's what came to mind for me as well.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mescal posted:

Looking for good sketch comedy TV shows on US Netflix, Amazon, Youtube. I like Key & Peele, Mitchell & Webb, WKUK, Mr Show.

Birthday Boys, not sure where/if they are streaming though

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Enos Cabell posted:

Birthday Boys, not sure where/if they are streaming though

Birthday Boys good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ozbSx7PCKE

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That was funny? Huh.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Kroll Show is a good sketch show but is probably only available through comedy centrals terrible streaming services

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Birthday Boys “Keeping the Beat” sketch is something I still think of almost weekly, and I watch it monthly. So funny.

https://youtu.be/UhlgQV6WctQ

Asnorban fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 12, 2020

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Now you should watch 2006's Little Children, available on HBO. It rules.

Agreed.

Very good movie written by the same author as Election. Terrific cast too.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Mescal posted:

A Black Lady Sketch Show. Uneven, but some really good bits. If the network is patient with them they should really nail everything down.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
The Astronomy Club sketch show on Netflix had some really solid sketches

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Agreed.

Very good movie written by the same author as Election. Terrific cast too.

& same author also wrote The Leftovers.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Mescal posted:

Not 100% sure it's on US Netflix but Limmy's Show is a highly regarded Scottish sketch show and recommended if you can get it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Deadite posted:

Kroll Show is a good sketch show but is probably only available through comedy centrals terrible streaming services

It's a really good show but I kinda had to give it a couple episodes to get the vibe and what it was doing. I ended up really liking it so if anyone's turned off by the first one or two episodes, try giving it more of a shot.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
The League of Gentlemen is a good sketch show with a horror slant. JustWatch says it’s on prime but I can’t find it on there

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This is the best Birthday Boys skit you BASTARDS!

https://vimeo.com/124380702

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Deadite posted:

The League of Gentlemen is a good sketch show with a horror slant. JustWatch says it’s on prime but I can’t find it on there

I love this show too but fair warning, there is a HUGELY transphobic character that hasn't aged well at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's a really good show but I kinda had to give it a couple episodes to get the vibe and what it was doing. I ended up really liking it so if anyone's turned off by the first one or two episodes, try giving it more of a shot.

Wheels Ontario is one of the goats

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I love this show too but fair warning, there is a HUGELY transphobic character that hasn't aged well at all.

Oooooooh yeah, I guess I blocked that out of my mind because I didn't remember it when I posted.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

Not 100% sure it's on US Netflix but Limmy's Show is a highly regarded Scottish sketch show and recommended if you can get it.

Limmy's Show was on US Netflix a few months ago at least. It was fun but definitely very strange. My favorite bits were definitely the Adventure Call running sketch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdQ11fTRpCg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qyYg_bfrlw

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Oh you didn't even post the best one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzKo1JPNf4s

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
No one going to mention I Think You Should Leave?

El Duodenum
Dec 27, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

No one going to mention I Think You Should Leave?

Fartington Butts mentioned it yesterday.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

The video I found of it spoiled the joke in the title, so I went with these other ones. There are a lot of others that are pretty good too.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

LemonLimeSoda posted:

The Astronomy Club sketch show on Netflix had some really solid sketches

Yeah I was very pleasantly surprised with that. Good wrap around segments as well.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIzazUv2gtI

To say I am hyped for this is a understatement. The book this is based on is one of the best 'hillbilly noir' novels I have read. I consider Winter's Bone to be one of the best novels/movies of that genre, but this is more insane and violent than that ever was.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Harley Quinn is great but takes at least a few episodes to get over the super "edgy" comedy style. I'm really enjoying it, and not just because Kite Man is a main character. Hell yeah.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Glottis posted:

Harley Quinn is great but takes at least a few episodes to get over the super "edgy" comedy style. I'm really enjoying it, and not just because Kite Man is a main character. Hell yeah.

My wife and I were stoked to check it out based on the description. We watched a trailer though and both thought it just seemed too try-hard, or edgy like you said.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I couldn't even get through the trailer.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Harley Quinn is basically Venture Brothers mixed with The Tick, with a splash of Deadpool's rated M content. There's definitely some "edgyness" to it but it really does fit the theme of the show.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I nearly turned it off during the first episode. I've watched the first 6 now and it's pretty good once they tone down the cusses and gore that serve more to show how loving edgy the show is than serving the characters or plot. If there is stuff you like in there, it's worth giving it a few more episodes to see how it evens out.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Asnorban posted:

I nearly turned it off during the first episode. I've watched the first 6 now and it's pretty good once they tone down the cusses and gore that serve more to show how loving edgy the show is than serving the characters or plot. If there is stuff you like in there, it's worth giving it a few more episodes to see how it evens out.

It's really just the pilot. They were originally going in one direction with the show, and then (wisely) realized that characters, plot and comedy was better than swearing and violence.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, I suspect the swearing/gore in the first episode isn't a consequence of the mild retool it went through, so much as it's a consequence of the rest of DC's animated stuff either being kid-friendly or very visibly signposting that it's not.

Harley Quinn can't give itself an R rating, being a streaming show, so instead they just crammed a bunch of gore and swearing in the first episode to yell out "HEY THIS IS NOT FOR KIDS, DO NOT LET YOUR KIDS WATCH THIS."

e: I say this because, while the tone and style of the show definitely take a hard left turn after the first episode, it still stays pretty gory and sweary throughout; the first episode isn't really unrepresentative on that front, so much as it frontloads a whole lot of it at once and has a generally more action-y tone that the rest of the show doesn't run with.

Overall, it's basically a Venture Bros ripoff... but gently caress it, I'll take something that's basically Venture Brothers and gets new seasons semi-regularly instead of "a new season every time Halley's Comet passes the earth"

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Honestly, I suspect the swearing/gore in the first episode isn't a consequence of the mild retool it went through, so much as it's a consequence of the rest of DC's animated stuff either being kid-friendly or very visibly signposting that it's not.

Harley Quinn can't give itself an R rating, being a streaming show, so instead they just crammed a bunch of gore and swearing in the first episode to yell out "HEY THIS IS NOT FOR KIDS, DO NOT LET YOUR KIDS WATCH THIS."

e: I say this because, while the tone and style of the show definitely take a hard left turn after the first episode, it still stays pretty gory and sweary throughout; the first episode isn't really unrepresentative on that front, so much as it frontloads a whole lot of it at once and has a generally more action-y tone that the rest of the show doesn't run with.

Overall, it's basically a Venture Bros ripoff... but gently caress it, I'll take something that's basically Venture Brothers and gets new seasons semi-regularly instead of "a new season every time Halley's Comet passes the earth"

There's a funny anecdote where the HQ showrunners specifically asked WB how many fucks they could have per episode and WB wouldn't give them a concrete answer, so they just put in an over the top amount. Finally WB got back to them and was like "ok, you can have 8"