Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

chumbler posted:

We also cannot ignore the lasting cultural impact of Indestructible.

hell i can feel it coming over me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

chumbler posted:

We also cannot ignore the lasting cultural impact of Indestructible.

:hmmyes:

Nothing's gonna stop me now

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
would be interesting to see the alternate universe where blazblue still came out in 2009 but SF4 didn't. that game got a lot of play among the public eye that no "anime fighting game" before dbfz could really meet again and idk if that was just because it was the next fighting game on console with decent* online after SF4 or if it would've always gone over well because that very specific kind of anime was really big at the time

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

darealkooky posted:

would be interesting to see the alternate universe where blazblue still came out in 2009 but SF4 didn't. that game got a lot of play among the public eye that no "anime fighting game" before dbfz could really meet again and idk if that was just because it was the next fighting game on console with decent* online after SF4 or if it would've always gone over well because that very specific kind of anime was really big at the time

Blazblue went over and continues to go over very well with people who are into VNs and anime without even necessarily being into fighting games as a whole. I’m sure BB would do just fine

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

column a column b i think

blazblue was trendy in a way a lot of 'anime fighting games' arent. like melty was based on a 5-6 year old visual novel that in turn was a pseudo reboot of a 5-6 year old novel, unist is built on light novel trends of the early 2010s, arcana heart has a very 90s harem comedy design sense, like tenchi muyo or something. a lot of those games arent exactly out of touch, but they're based on stuff that the creators were into a few years ago. blazblue was very of the moment in comparison, it fit right in with other stuff of the late 2000s/early 2010s.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Why is everyone so dodgy about talking about the internal workings of Capcom even after they leave for years and don't work in the industry. It's kinda crazy.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Draynar posted:

Why is everyone so dodgy about talking about the internal workings of Capcom even after they leave for years and don't work in the industry. It's kinda crazy.

NDAs, probably. I'm sure some extend in perpetuity.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Draynar posted:

I think youtube guys dont want to tell their friends' stories and put attention on them and jeopardize their insider connections to rumors etc

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

da games industry is a small place and there's very little worker power in relation to bosses so things stay quiet, so if you're in games please join a union, i'm a member of the game workers branch union of the IWGB and it's a good union i recommendo if you're in the uk!!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Capcom is also a very traditional company as far as my experience with them and when you've got 60+ year old dudes who have spent their life with the company an attack on Capcom is an attack on them and vice versa.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/burger_chaser/status/1023664738423787520

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

This made me laugh more than it should have. I can hear it in the X2 announcer's voice.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

That'd also be some of the nonsense english that flashes by before the Under Night announcer says their DIVIDO!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Gutcruncher posted:

Another muscle guy in a gi is less fun than big jiggly spinning fat guy. I would’ve taken this other guy over Abel but not over Rufus.

You'd probably prefer Abel's original concept art to what they ended up going with too

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i happened on the design process for menat a little while ago and apparently her initial concept was the wendys girl except a pizza assassin

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Girl Abel was really cute as a concept, but I'm alright with what he actually got too, Rufus meanwhile not only looked like poo poo but was also poo poo to fight at all for a long while, he shoulda been the powerful eyebrows black man instead.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like Doughy Rufus and if C. Viper didn't exist would have been who I'd have played as*.

*Badly, so so badly. Oh my god Im bad at fighting games but SFIV Im a nega-talent, making everyone worse with my presence.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Yardbomb posted:

Girl Abel was really cute as a concept, but I'm alright with what he actually got too, Rufus meanwhile not only looked like poo poo but was also poo poo to fight at all for a long while, he shoulda been the powerful eyebrows black man instead.

very few ppl like playing freak characters so idk why they decided upon 4? 5? depending on definition in the sf4 series.

i feel like all the new sf5 characters are pretty good at least, from a design perspective. if a little boring.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Real hurthling! posted:

I think youtube guys dont want to tell their friends' stories and put attention on them and jeopardize their insider connections to rumors etc

That and most of them don't actually know as much as they're implying so it benefits them to be vague.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That and most of them don't actually know as much as they're implying so it benefits them to be vague.

yeah unfortunately s-kill doesnt just stumble into an irc channel and drunkenly leak everything anymore

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

euphemism posted:

very few ppl like playing freak characters so idk why they decided upon 4? 5? depending on definition in the sf4 series.

i feel like all the new sf5 characters are pretty good at least, from a design perspective. if a little boring.

I'm usually really down for weirdo characters even, but Rufus was just repellent to me for whatever mix of reasons.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Yardbomb posted:

MK woulda just picked up the slack to keep fighting games afloat a while longer. :smuggo:

You can argue this, but I don't think you get MK9 or Injustice without SFIV.

Barudak posted:

I like Doughy Rufus and if C. Viper didn't exist would have been who I'd have played as*.

*Badly, so so badly. Oh my god Im bad at fighting games but SFIV Im a nega-talent, making everyone worse with my presence.

Same :smith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

I'm usually really down for weirdo characters even, but Rufus was just repellent to me for whatever mix of reasons.
we really didnt need to see his treasure trail

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shinji2015 posted:

You can argue this, but I don't think you get MK9 or Injustice without SFIV.
I remember MK9 being talked about pre-reveal as having a more Gears of Wars-y look to it than what we actually got, so I suspect without SF4, the MK series would have continued down the 3D-fighter road that the PS2 games had carved out.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I got a Mayflash F500 Elite a couple days ago, and while it works great with my PS4, it seems that it barely works on my PC. It becomes unresponsive and sluggish as hell, and I don't really understand what's going on. I have it set to dinput mode like it suggests, and xinput doesn't work at all.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Roth posted:

I got a Mayflash F500 Elite a couple days ago, and while it works great with my PS4, it seems that it barely works on my PC. It becomes unresponsive and sluggish as hell, and I don't really understand what's going on. I have it set to dinput mode like it suggests, and xinput doesn't work at all.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Apparently plugging it through a usb hub also works

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
poo poo like that is why i fear anything that isnt qanba, hori, or a custom board.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I got a Qanba Drone a while back to try and learn stick but my dumb brain and stupid hands are too old to learn new things as it turns out.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't have this option in my BIOS

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Played Gundam Versus EXVSMBON last night and man it's a fun game but I'm so, so hopelessly bad at it.

After looking through the cast and reading the guide + some character summaries I decided to start by messing around with Noble gundam cause it kinda looking like a sailor moon gundam that turns into a screaming rage gundam and that's extremely funny to me.

But man, anytime I land a hit after dodging beams forever I feel like I immediately get cut from behind or shot by my own teammate. The mobility hasn't quite clicked for me as well, not to mention forgetting to guard regularly

What are other cool gundams I should play? The pirate ones seem p cool

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ok, now it's just suddenly working in a different USB port? Man I hate computers :v:

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I still don't fully understand the meta game surroundings point build team comps. I've had good luck with the RX-78 in online, the Exia is pretty neat but I'm not in front of the game to say which one.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Dreqqus posted:

I still don't fully understand the meta game surroundings point build team comps. I've had good luck with the RX-78 in online, the Exia is pretty neat but I'm not in front of the game to say which one.

Doesn't much matter if you're just blind matching with randos but the classic Gundam is incredibly flexible and the two "safest" comps iirc are 2000/2000 and 2000/3000 so it's all around a solid pick.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Dreqqus posted:

I got a Qanba Drone a while back to try and learn stick but my dumb brain and stupid hands are too old to learn new things as it turns out.

Just play platformers (or anything with 8-way movement honestly) and let muscle memory do it's work, a fightstick is the perfect Spelunky controller.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dreqqus posted:

It's pretty easy.

1500 + 1500: This is rough since both your suits suck, but on the other hand the enemies have to kill you four times. If you know how to play well and gang up on one guy while keeping the other at the distance you can outlast the enemies.

1500 + 2000: This one kinda sucks. 2000 cost suits tend to be pretty supportive and supporting a 1500 is a rough path to go down. Only really works if the 2000 palys super far back and makes the enemy kill the 1500 over and over, but then its hard to contribute.

1500 + 2500: Strong team. Fairly flexible death order so long as the 1500 doesnt die twice in a row, the 2500 is strong enough to push while the 1500 runs interference for them.

1500 + 3000: If the 1500 dies first the 3000 is instantly costover. It's pretty hard for the 1500 not to die first. It's workable but the taem needs to be really coordinated to make sure the 3000 dies first, and you need specific suits.

2000 + 2000: Actually really good. There's literally no risk of cost-over so its fairly beginner friendly. That said 2000s are fairly balanced and, again, supportive, so it can be hard to compete with 2500s/3000s.

2000 + 2500: Dependant on suits chosen mostly. However slight cost-over is guaranteed no matter who dies first, so you need a solid gameplan to make up for that.

2500 + 2500: Extremely flexible team that gets 3 deaths (last being overcosted). 2500s are a very varied roster of suits and there's a lot of strong things there so it works.

2500 + 3000: The top tier comp. Just use your power to bully. Make sure the 3k dies first. That said if you aren't bullying hard enough you can get stomped.

3000 + 3000: If both players die they lose. On the other hand, you have the most overpowered team in the game. This is basically memeforce 5 but it can get some funny wins if you're good at dodging. Not recommended though, despite how often you see it online.

So to summarize:

Good: 1500 + 2500, 2000 + 2000, 2500 + 2500, 2500 + 3000
Decent: 2000 + 2500, 1500 + 3000
Bad: 1500 + 2000
Don't let your memes be dreams: 1500 + 1500, 3000 + 3000

As you can see there's no bad comp that has a 2500 in it so that's why a lot of the beginner suits people recommend are those. You have enough power to make your presence felt, there's some solid all rounder suits, and you don't have as big a cost burden as a 3k.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

But man, anytime I land a hit after dodging beams forever I feel like I immediately get cut from behind or shot by my own teammate. The mobility hasn't quite clicked for me as well, not to mention forgetting to guard regularly

What are other cool gundams I should play? The pirate ones seem p cool
Try implementing more sidesteps into your combos. And yes, all the crossbone suits are very strong. They even all have free anti-beam cloaks which is amazingly useful.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dreqqus posted:

Team cost meta rundown:
  • 3000/2000: The plain white toast of team compositions and probably the easiest to play. Typically an aggressive, front-oriented 3000 paired with a supportive, shooting-oriented 2000. Optimal death order is 3000 then 2000.
  • 3000/2500: Like 3000/2000, except you trade safety for higher performance. Death order is a lot more fluid here but whoever dies second is going to be saddled with a pretty brutal overcost.
  • 2500/1500: Probably the easiest comp to make use of a 1500 in, this usually relies on a stable front-line 2500 to work well so that the 1500 can apply whatever their particular gimmick is. Optimal death order is the 2.5k dying first but it doesn't matter that much.
  • 2000/1500: Like 2.5k/1.5k but harder to play and generally limited to a relatively short list of 2ks with enough performance to hang with the big boys. Colloquially called the "zombie comp" because your team gets tons of lives and bursts to work with to compensate for your lower performance. Not good for newbies, but it has a 1500 in it so that should be understood.

Other cost comps than these are generally not desirable unless you really know what you're doing, either because of performance issues(2k/2k), overcost issues(3k/1.5k), or leaving power on the table for no real gain versus just picking a higher cost(2.5k/2.5k).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well kanos and i just gave very different opinions so now we have to fight to the death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Honestly the only point where I actually disagree with you is 2k/2k, mostly because 2k/2k should get really badly flattened by a 3k/2k or 3k/2.5k comp and both of those are very orthodox.

This is, however, assuming that both teams have a basic idea of how to move and dodge - assuming brand new players that don't, 2k/2k can be very oppressive because beating it involves outplaying it and trading damage against it means you're losing.