Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
the replies to that show how little experience anyone has in the current team like

Matthew Delanty
Live designer for Cloud Imperium Games
Graduated 2013 with a degree in Game Design
(2013) QA Tester at TT Fusion
(2013 - 2015) QA Tester at CIG (Came with Erin from TT Fusion)
(2015 - Current) Game Designer
No game released on resume; pre-alpha tech demo for school only:
https://www.indiedb.com/games/accel-chroma

and plenty of other QA people that are now in charge of a bunch of poo poo

also plenty of dudes in those replies have left for greener pastures early 2020 like

Benjamin Anders
Cloud Imperium Games
(2016 - 2020) Senior System Designer
Frankfurt Am Main Area, Germany

Design and development of new features for Squadron 42 and the Persistent Universe, working closely with the Lead Designer and the Game Director to ensure Chris Roberts’ vision for Star Citizen becomes reality. Collaborating with cross-disciplinary teams to execute game systems and lead sprint teams from prototype to live feature. Working
on AI behaviour (FPS/Pilots), core gameplay loops, tool and workflow development.
(lol)

Current position:
(2020 - Current) Senior Gameplay Designer at Remedy Entertainment Plc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
r/starcitizen: After today, 2020 will officially be CIG's best year for crowdfunding, smashing 2019's $47.7m raised!

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
why make a game when you keep getting PAID

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also I'm not saying moving up from QA is a bad thing, it happens all the time and a lot of good talent can come from that pool

it's just bad when trying to create a never done before real time twitch combat MMO as well as a super ambitious single player project on par with other AAA gaming studios

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
as organic as rexzilla

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Foehammer007 posted:

why make a game when you keep getting PAID

Why, do you ask ? Because Chris Roberts has a vision. Chris Roberts has a dream. He needs unlimited money to turn this dream into reality. Chris Roberts is a perfectionist, as seen by the current state of the PU and its rock solid stability and its loads of fun. He wouldn't be able to make his perfect game without unlimited money. Therefore, backers need to sign a blank check to him.. otherwise.. you might end up with a bad game... (lol)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It must feel really good to leave CIG for a new job. No more awkward moments when your peers ask where you are working.

Imagine working on a game for 4 years and it's still stuck in alpha with no end in sight.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

All jokes aside, doesn't this funding pattern really look like it would be 100% plausible for money laundering?

The company takes a cut to wash cash and stay in business, which is why they haven't collapsed yet and perfectly explains the funding increases despite even any illusion of real meaningful forward movement.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean jesus christ you have people just right out of college starting in June this year that are still taking edX classes for basic computer programming

just lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BitBasher posted:

All jokes aside, doesn't this funding pattern really look like it would be 100% plausible for money laundering?

The company takes a cut to wash cash and stay in business, which is why they haven't collapsed yet and perfectly explains the funding increases despite appearances of forward movement.
go look at some of my previous posts if you want to go down that rabbit hole, especially in regards to redpill VR and the russian billionaire (who got PPP money) that created it

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

TheAgent posted:

go look at some of my previous posts if you want to go down that rabbit hole

Will do, I only sporadically keep up with this thread so I miss 90% of it, but I know your posts are always fascinating! Thanks!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheAgent posted:

I mean jesus christ you have people just right out of college starting in June this year that are still taking edX classes for basic computer programming

just lol

I figured this was the case with development. CIG is hiring very inexperienced people for as low of pay as possible. This has caused the entire project to be poorly managed and that is why development is moving at such an extremely slow pace. If it wasn't for the whales, this game would have been canceled years ago.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

TheAgent posted:

also I'm not saying moving up from QA is a bad thing, it happens all the time and a lot of good talent can come from that pool

it's just bad when trying to create a never done before real time twitch combat MMO as well as a super ambitious single player project on par with other AAA gaming studios

quote:

A conversation I had with the QA team at the Foundry 42 UK offices.
To the QA team: Do you like working here? Ans: Oh yes!
Why? Because it's not like other companies we have worked for (mentions other game companies and large media corporations) you don't spend years and years at the same level. Promotions and mobility within the company is much better here.

What many don't take into account is just how experienced a team there is at Foundry 42 UK and DE.
https://www.giantbomb.com/brian-chambers/3040-73022/ - Brain Chambers is head of F42DE, the team there are the original CryEngine R&D team who left CryTek when they began to fail to pay their employees. The guy who made spherical grid planets in CryEngne a possibility works at F42DE because he was one of the engineers who made CryEngine.These are not interns with a weeks experience.. between the senior staff they have literally hundreds of years of experience in game design for very well known IP's. Mention a AAA game or even a CGI movie/TV series produced prior to 2014 - there's a good chance at least one of them has worked on it at a senior level. They could easily get a job tomorrow with other game developers if they wished, it's the same in the USA for example: Sean Tracy and Tony Zurovec could get a senior level post in just about any game development companies they chose. in 2016 there seemed to be a concerted effort by other game developers to headhunt CIG senior staff with some success, it's probably still going on.

Tyler Witkin for example started as QA and became a community team manager.. training and mentoring is given to anyone who shows an interest in expanding their skill set. It became a running joke on AtV - what's your job title this week?

Whether it is true or not that they pay lower wages pro rata I don't know, but I do know that they generally feel that they can progress and so by doing that they gradually increase their remuneration levels, skill set, and transferable skills and experience for future employers.

I worked for an agency for many years. I could walk into a place of employment and very quickly figure out why it was that an employer was relying heavily on temporary workers. The territorialism of work spaces that goes in companies with morale problems and stress problems etc. There was none of that at F42UK. What was notable to me was that senior designers and managers had their desk right next to junior staff, there was no air of authoritarianism and remote management style... how do I know that? Because the work spaces and walls were covered in their own artwork and inspirations - personalisation.. not memo's and edicts from managers. There were no 'Hands off my cup!' notices and such in the cafeteria area.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Foehammer007 posted:

why make two AAA games when you keep getting PAID

so they dont

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 13, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BitBasher posted:

Yes, but every funding pattern is 100% plausible for money laundering. When you're trying to hide what you're doing you can choose whatever you wish to hide it in.

IMO there is something obviously fishy about it but it can be all sort of things.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/Jc2SA3A.mp4

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

we're currently working on the roadmap to the roadmap to get our doggo good at duck fighting. two weeks tops till he masters the first animality!

https://imgur.com/a/6Z5sDKV

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018
I dont know why people think tracker is unrealist. Go to /r/starcitizen and look at posts.

quote:

QUESTION
Idris K or Kraken? (self.starcitizen)
submitted 14 days ago by
I’m looking to get a military cap ship in November, I’ve boiled down my two most likely options to a kraken or an Idris K. I’ve been leaning more towards the Idris due to the fact if I get one I can also get a company pack. But I’m looking for a capital ship that can handle itself more than better and win against other ships it’s size.

QUESTION
Kraken’s roles? (self.starcitizen)
submitted 13 days ago by
What are some roles of the kraken? I know of the whole light strike carrier thing, but are there any other large roles it can fulfill?

QUESTION
Kraken or Idris K ? (self.starcitizen)
submitted 22 days ago by
If you could grab 1 ship, which would you choose and why? Please vote and post your explanation in the comments if you have a bit of time to share your thoughts.
Please note that Idris K = Idris P + aftermarket weaponry kit

QUESTION
Kraken (base) or Kraken Privateer? (self.starcitizen)
submitted 11 days ago by
I’ve been looking at the kraken and I want to use my Kraken as a base and combat platform. But I do like the idea of making passive income with the privateer. What would be a better choice?

DISCUSSION
Is Kraken's design reallistic and usefull ? (self.starcitizen)
submitted 16 days ago by
new user/low karma
hi, i was wondering if the kraken' s design is reallistic and usefull ? i mean there is a way that this thingh could really fly a day (irl) and be usefull for the space conquest ?

QUESTION
What's the latest news about Kraken armour and durability compared to Idris? (self.starcitizen)
submitted 20 days ago by
From official q&a it seems like kraken will be much more fragile but maybe they clarified that info further in some video or comment that I missed.
Thanks in advance for help

DISCUSSION
Next ship sale purchase advice? (self.starcitizen)
submitted 3 days ago * by
I'm thinking in the next major sale about picking up a couple ships luckily I'm already concierge so my chances of getting the more limited ships is better. I already have a Kraken Privateer so that is not on the list.
What ship would you go with and why? I am not concerned with price so don't use that in your consideration.
Edit: man... community is extra salt about someone spending their own money lol never seen an honest question get down voted into the ground lol.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Thought this was a really neat idea for a droid - was about to compliment the art department on getting something actually visually interesting / unique / noticeable through.

Then I saw the head :(

Legit this is a very loving cool design for a droid though.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

we're currently working on the roadmap to the roadmap to get our doggo good at duck fighting. two weeks tops till he masters the first animality!

https://imgur.com/a/6Z5sDKV

:3:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

tuo posted:

Young duck just squeezed doggo's nose when he ventured too deep into it's holding pen, and after a short kinda shock, he looked like the happiest dog alive with his tongue hanging out sooo far and looking at us all "did you see that? it bit me! I love it!". Animals are good!

Soooo cute. :)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I assure everyone there was no threat to the dog. I had the duck under control at all times.

tuo fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 13, 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dwesa posted:

:reddit: And once again the backers voted with their wallet!

Seems like parrot ship picture was successful.

Thank heavens! All of CIGs failure to deliver has been successfully quashed by being able to sell some more concept art!

I was worried for a second there!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

Does Microsoft Flight Sim have procedural fried eggs?

Can you manually reload your missiles in a complicated factory type environment aboard your Cessna?

If not, it's junk. :colbert:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Inacio posted:

remote ore collector

...yeah

Is that for true? But it's not actually remote, you have to like drive it like the Crysis Jeep?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
This Tevarin Light Fighter sure looks to be making a Heavy Impact!

I bet it punches above its weight!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Titanic posted:

Is that for true? But it's not actually remote, you have to like drive it like the Crysis Jeep?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17661-Greycat-Industrial-ROC

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I really want somebody to do the alien treatment to the human ships too.

I want all the human ships to be bald and fat looking people in space.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

That's good! But it's not a remote vehicle. Unless it's supposed to mean it goes to remote/out of the way places. But that's not the context people use when referring to remote and some kind of vehicle. That usually implies the vehicle goes somewhere and is driven by a driver who is somewhere else.

I'm guessing that's not the case here?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The Titanic posted:

I want all the human ships to be bald and fat looking people in space.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

stingtwo posted:

$10k https://www.gofundme.com/f/savewca and of course he's never done anything but jizzed all over the boxes of worthless content.

Ah, my mistake. $10k and apparently 50k pieces of "art." Have there been any SC-connected projects that have just succeeded out of wanting to spite those evil goons?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

Ah, my mistake. $10k and apparently 50k pieces of "art." Have there been any SC-connected projects that have just succeeded out of wanting to spite those evil goons?

lowtax drew spaceship jpegs for money for a while

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

tuo posted:

No he didn't. He was too loving lazy to even do that

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

tuo posted:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

No he didn't. He was too loving lazy to even do that

Indeed. I was thinking more of projects that CIG/Roberts have given some backing to in some way. They were quite involved in that boardgame (some of the artwork was Crobbler and Sandi's heads archered onto sci-fi artwork), and I'm kinda suspicious that the Wing Commander cartoon crap might have been part of a payoff to make Lesnick leave. "Just gently caress off and we'll... I dunno, find you a load of Wing Commander material to play with. The guy who's got it now wants it out of the way, just claim that you need $10k to buy it and we'll promote the campaign."

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

That's a clear indication that all the locations in the game are as as done they're ever going to be

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

I assure everyone there was no threat to the dog. I had the duck under control at all times.

Are you also going to proclaim "release the quacken" if you finally let it loose on the doggo? :)

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Prayers have been answered! Behold, a SQ42 scene! (7m45s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zdzRpacUnY

It’s like a first draft from Top Gun 3

In other news, they’re still doing mocap

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Bofast posted:

Are you also going to proclaim "release the quacken" if you finally let it loose on the doggo? :)

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1378280/Stream_Dogfighter/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

If you all want to know if these numbers aren't real, someone could do a Benford analysis. It's not a guarantee that they are good if it comes back fine, but it at least could show them to be potentially fraudulent. Especially if run up to like the 3rd or 4th digit.