Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

galagazombie posted:

You know people always commend New Vegas's writing for being "Morally Grey" or "Mature" or "Hegelian Dialectic". But the thing I love about it is how "Mythic" and larger than life it is. The way the ending slides talk about things as if their written centuries later after the events of the game and all the characters have been mythologized. For instance they used the fact they couldn't refer to the player character by name to make "Courier" into some kind of messianic title complete with symbolically dying and being resurrected. The Burned Man as a vengeful spirit. How Sierra Madre is treated as a literal rather than metaphorical hell. The Think Tank and how different characters confront them as if they were Fey beings that one had to outwit like in a parable. Or the way that the ending of Dead Money refers to "The Divide" as being like some kinda cultural touchstone, something that in the future everybody knows about, like they were taught about it a children around the campfire.

Also Fisto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Fisto is just pawn in video game of life.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Fisto is representative of the "everyman". Caught in the maelstrom between the grand destinies of legends who decide the fate of nations, he just wants to fist.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Fallout 2 did everything Fallout 1 did and made it much less archaic (except the tutorial area, who thought that was a good idea)

Man, Fallout 2 to me was a constant stream of bad popculture references, unfunny jokes, and forgettable areas. By the time I got to San Fransisco I was completely mentally checked out. It has better game play but nothing else about it ranks compared to 1. I unironically think 3 is a better game than 2.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Man, Fallout 2 to me was a constant stream of bad popculture references, unfunny jokes, and forgettable areas. By the time I got to San Fransisco I was completely mentally checked out. It has better game play but nothing else about it ranks compared to 1. I unironically think 3 is a better game than 2.

It's so refreshing to hear that. I've thought this for years but stopped saying it because it only gets responses like "degenerates like you belong on a cross" etc. I love Fallout to bits, but FO2 just fell completely flat to me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah it hurt me alot to play. Fallout one was my first classic crpg and I loved the game to bits. Every quest interaction and character was dripping with atmosphere. By the time I'd finished (rip Ian and dog meat) I was craving more. I fired up two and got loving cheez puffs and tragic the gathering.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
There’s a lot of dumb stuff in Fallout 2 but you have to consider it was developed in 1998 by a team of developers,artists and writers of less than 20 people

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Keith Atherton posted:

There’s a lot of dumb stuff in Fallout 2 but you have to consider it was developed in 1998 by a team of developers,artists and writers of less than 20 people

How large was the Fallout 1 team cause that game was good

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Fallout 2 is good

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
I think Fallout 2 will forever be my favourite just because it was the first crpg I played and I fell completely head over heels for the genre thanks to it

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Both the first Fallouts are uplayable for me at this point, but Fallout 1 is outright unwatchable as well - up until the ending, there just isn't anything interesting about it.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
All these old rear end CRPGs suffer from having absolutely qawful game mechanics.

I wish i was old enough to get in on the ground floor with them, but I've tried a few and bounced off completely everytime.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I love both but my issue is with the colour palette and the limited assets of the game world. A big quality of life HD update and I will happily play either again.

Some elements and writing certainly have not aged Fallout 2 well, but people here don't want to make a big deal out of it because well nobody here wants to sound like a poster from No Mutants Allowed who turn their dislike for Fallout 2 way past eleven.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The jokes in Fallout 2 are way overblown, it's not like the first one didn't have the Tardis from Doctor Who in it. There's a character in the hub called Kenny, guess what the game says if you shoot him!

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Fallout 2 has its problems, and ultimately I think I enjoy Fallout 1 better, but it’s still the third best Fallout game as far as I’m concerned. New Reno alone might elevate the game to that level.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The actual gameplay mechanics and RPG systems of FO1 and 2 are fine. Great, even. But they’re a chore to play now because of how slow everything animates and moves.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The actual gameplay mechanics and RPG systems of FO1 and 2 are fine. Great, even. But they’re a chore to play now because of how slow everything animates and moves.

The Metzger fight comes to mind. Waiting for twenty idiots to throw punches after they unload all their ammo.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I would be interested in a Fallout game in the PoE engine (it will never happen, but it’s nice to dream!)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

VaultAggie posted:

The Metzger fight comes to mind. Waiting for twenty idiots to throw punches after they unload all their ammo.

Or any fight in a map with a ton of junkies wandering around.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Fallout 1 and 2 are awesome and not difficult to play, nor do I find the interface that cumbersome. And I didn’t play either until the summer of 2008, before Fallout 3 came out.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Early Fallouts aren’t unplayable but they do here and there rely on that 80s-90s pre-immersive sim kind of lateral thought design in a couple of sections (Sierra Army Depot, Modoc, The Glow etc) where you’re either punished for lack of very particular foresight or have to do some pixel hunting.

There are a lot of things, like the necessity of small guns - energy weapons tagging on first play through and how to actually interact with force fields, that may well have derailed me when I first played had I not read about them in magazines beforehand.

The system design isn’t Wasteland-level obtuse, but it’s mangy

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

galagazombie posted:

You know people always commend New Vegas's writing for being "Morally Grey" or "Mature" or "Hegelian Dialectic". But the thing I love about it is how "Mythic" and larger than life it is. The way the ending slides talk about things as if their written centuries later after the events of the game and all the characters have been mythologized. For instance they used the fact they couldn't refer to the player character by name to make "Courier" into some kind of messianic title complete with symbolically dying and being resurrected. The Burned Man as a vengeful spirit. How Sierra Madre is treated as a literal rather than metaphorical hell. The Think Tank and how different characters confront them as if they were Fey beings that one had to outwit like in a parable. Or the way that the ending of Dead Money refers to "The Divide" as being like some kinda cultural touchstone, something that in the future everybody knows about, like they were taught about it a children around the campfire.

You hit the nail on the head here, I think. This perfectly describes why I enjoy New Vegas so much. Honest Hearts and Lonesome Road specifically did a phenomenal job of giving your meeting of these mythical characters weight, which I think is even more of an accomplishment because the gamebryo engine is so, so limiting in that regard. Fortunately the writing and voice acting was on point.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Apologies to the link to Facebook but this is the only place so far I can find this important video

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Goodness. This changes a lot of things.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
including War?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

El_Elegante posted:

including War?

Well, no. Obviously not that.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I played through Lonesome Road without a guide, and I have 27/30 warheads detonated. Is there a quick way to figure out which ones I missed, or do I have to go manually check each location?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't think there is, sadly; the wiki lists the locations of each one (https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Warhead_Hunter) to make manually checking a bit easier, but the game doesn't keep track of which ones you took out. I'm also not sure if you can get back into the final area if you missed any in there

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I loaded up that guide and checked by hand. The three I missed were in side locations I missed, so I also got to battle the legendary enemies Bonesaw and Rawr.

The Courier's Mile is ridiculously dangerous, my level 50 character was still getting one-shot by Irradiated Deathclaws. I wonder if a shotgun might be better than the Embrace of the Mantis King for close-range fighting, could be fun to do a guns character with maximum strength.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chamale posted:

I loaded up that guide and checked by hand. The three I missed were in side locations I missed, so I also got to battle the legendary enemies Bonesaw and Rawr.

The Courier's Mile is ridiculously dangerous, my level 50 character was still getting one-shot by Irradiated Deathclaws. I wonder if a shotgun might be better than the Embrace of the Mantis King for close-range fighting, could be fun to do a guns character with maximum strength.

Riot shotgun with the And Stay Back! perk. Ragdoll deathclaws all day.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

A barrel full of Turbo never hurts either.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
Courier's Mile was the only place in the game I had to do poo poo like set traps, use tons of chems etc. just to survive it

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The trick to Courier's Mile is realizing that the Irradiated Deathclaws don't have any armor, so maximum DPS is the name of the game. I ended up tackling it with the .45 Auto SMG loaded with Super rounds, and let me tell you the weapon condition was dropping nearly as fast as the Deathclaws.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Plasma, melt the deathclaws. Easy Peezy. :hellyeah:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Mines and traps are great but unless you’re on a replay there aren’t many places where you know enemies are coming and where they’re coming from

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Look at all these people who don't know about gatling lasers with MC ECPs. 1000+ DPS with -15 DT on the ammo makes a mockery of even the Mile.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I skipped the Courier's Mile because my inventory was full

It's a fairly powerful demotivator

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Keith Atherton posted:

Mines and traps are great but unless you’re on a replay there aren’t many places where you know enemies are coming and where they’re coming from

you learn where they come from after they kill you and force you to reload tho

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

No, Arcade, I don't think you need more firepower. You just blew up that guy.

https://i.imgur.com/b0erijd.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Wasteland 3 seems to be getting solid reviews:

https://opencritic.com/game/9140/wasteland-3