Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Saint Drogo posted:

unironically, picky eaters are just more evolved. probably in all other areas of life too.

eating any old poo poo is a fly's job.

Actually:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster

With plants in the wild, a bitter taste often means poison. As such, someone who is more sensitive to bitter tastes would have an easier time passing their genes along to the age of agriculture (especially when most people wouldn't live long enough one way or another to see the benefits of eating the amount of vegetables recommended nowdays).

I've been thinking that I may legitimately be one of those. I'll try most anything once, even if I don't think it all that probable that I'll end up liking it. The set of foods that I actually like is, however, relatively small, and the foods I dislike include a bunch of common components of what you'll find at an average restaurant (ranch dressing, mayonnaise, unprocessed tomatoes, many vegetables, most beans), as well as most alcoholic drinks. Plus I prefer my bacon unsweetened and my caramel unsalted.

empty sea posted:

A co-worker offered me those yogurt Skittles the other day and even just biting into one made me reflexively bolt to spit it out into the trash. I'm not really down with yogurt-covered dry foods in general--cereal, trail mix, etc.

Yogurt itself is delicious and I go out of my way to get the full fat, Greek kind but something about covering another food in yogurt and dehydrating it until it's a weird, sweet, creamy shell is absolutely abhorrent to my body.

I've sometimes wondered just how much similarity there actually is between the yogurt covering found nuts and raisins, and the yogurt found in the dairy aisle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's the exact same

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Also you're statistically as likely to be a "non-taster" as you are a "super-taster". these things are physically testable. Supertaster is a word that gets thrown around by picky eaters in the same way that picky eaters throw around things like food allergens and gluten sensitivity. It's a cool thing to say to explain why you're just being picky.

Which isn't to say for sure you, specifically, are or aren't or that food allergies and gluten sensitivity don't exist. They do. It's just that way, WAY too many people just love to feel real special about why they're picky.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The_Continental posted:

Would you have described this person as "demonstrably italian"?

Ill put it this way, her tinder profile stated she was "looking for a real guido"

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Barudak posted:

Ill put it this way, her tinder profile stated she was "looking for a real guido"

This is the grossest thing the thread could deliver

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I made a meal kit yesterday that included "french-style potato salad" which consisted of oven roasted potatoes and carrots tossed in a mixture of rice vinegar, honey, olive oil, and garlic. The strong smell of vinegar made me gag and I was sure it was going to be absolutely disgusting. I had an urge to just throw it in the garbage. But it turned out to be delicious!

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Rice vinegar is grand. Mind sharing the recipe?

Oh, and speaking of Best Vinegar and cucumbers, one of my favorite snacks is cucumbers slices in rice vinegar, with a dash of salt and pepper. It’s really simple but delicious

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

LordArgh posted:

Why do you have a person following you around and deciding what you're allowed to eat?

she had a vested interest in keeping me alive so she could sit on my face.

i'd call her selfish but i'm honestly not complaining (and wouldn't want to seem ungrateful).

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
as it was explained to me, the 7-11 wieners have been on the hot spinny thing for possibly a week under that dull thudding lamp and it was quite late when we walked past it and there were only a few left so there was a good chance they're gross and probably best to just not.

they may have been embellishing the lethality.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
but IANAL

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Clockwerk posted:

Rice vinegar is grand. Mind sharing the recipe?

I think it was a six tablespoons of vinegar, two tablespoons of pure honey, two tablespoons of olive oil, and one clove of minced garlic, and a little bit of minced parsley and chives.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Who What Now posted:

I think it was a six tablespoons of vinegar, two tablespoons of pure honey, two tablespoons of olive oil, and one clove of minced garlic, and a little bit of minced parsley and chives.

Congratulations.

You just made German potato salad.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

Congratulations.

You just made German potato salad.

The recipe said it was french. I was lied to! Either way it was so much better than American potato salad, which is a crime against God.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Also gently caress any colesaw with more than 2g of sugar added to it, that is like the last loving thing that needs a whole bag of sugar dumped in wtf

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

EorayMel posted:

Also gently caress any colesaw with more than 2g of sugar added to it, that is like the last loving thing that needs a whole bag of sugar dumped in wtf

i've seen a pickle brine recipe that calls for 2tbsp of salt and a half cup of sugar

i pared this down to like 0.6tbsp salt and 2tsp sugar

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

re: yoghurt.

I personally don't like sweetened plain yoghurt. It just doesn't taste right to me. Fruit flavoured yoghurt snacks are OK, just not the plain stuff. But I love a good thick Greek or Turkish yoghurt.

A great thing to do with yoghurt is to add it to food that is too spicy for you, but you still want to be able to taste it's various flavours. Yoghurt, (or raita if you can get it), is perfect for that purpose.

This leads me into another group of food people I hate. The "I love spicy food" people.

I personally love spicy food, and will often ask for extra chillis with my dishes. People like this are not a problem. I am, however, talking about the frat bros who carry around their own bottle of 6000 scovile rated magic super duper "hot sauce", that they use to drown whatever they are eating in, so that they can taste nothing else. The kind who use "I like spicy food", as a dick waving contest, and need to prove how tough they are by how many of their taste buds they have killed.

Spicyness is a taste, but it is one taste amongst many, and if all you can taste is the spicyness of your hyped up Tabasco, then you are no better than Blandy McBlanderson eating their chicken nuggets. Also, there are thousands of different types of spice, and spiciness, (wasabi tastes different to tabasco which tastes different to gochujang to name but three), all with their different tastes. So like above, if you are slathering your food with the one special magic Carolina Reaper sauce that you think makes you captain spicy, you are missing out on a world of food goodness.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Every time you post I think "there can't possibly be more".

But then there it is.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

Every time you post I think "there can't possibly be more".

But then there it is.

The thread title is "people who are unreasonably weird about food". I guess I am just one of those people.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
If I eat vanilla ice cream, I have to have chocolate syrup. I always end up mixing it all together until it has the consistency of a Wendy's frosty before I eat it. I've done it since I was a kid. Is that a weird or picky food thing?

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Star Me Kitten posted:

If I eat vanilla ice cream, I have to have chocolate syrup. I always end up mixing it all together until it has the consistency of a Wendy's frosty before I eat it. I've done it since I was a kid. Is that a weird or picky food thing?

yes and i'm sorry but you must now be mocked by BBC.

also whose rereg are you.

Strumpie fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 14, 2020

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Skratte posted:

I threw up blueberry pancakes when I was a little kid so now blueberries give me gag reactions. I've tried to get over it but nothin' doing. All the foods I've thrown up as an adult? Perfectly fine, would eat again. Something about throwing up foods when your brain's still forming, I guess.

I managed to make myself like so many foods I used to hate as a child in my mid twenties. I was like man I can't avoid mushrooms or peas or okra forever this is stupid, they're in everything. Only vegetable I couldn't manage was summer squashes. They taste so terrible the gently caress is wrong with everyone. also I hate crustaceans. I used to love shrimp as a kid but now I hate them, I don't know what happened there.

There was this guy I used to live with that ONLY liked chicken when it was really dry. as dry as possible. Also I watched him salt a cup of noodles once. I don't know if this will surprise anyone but that dude was constantly making GBS threads.

In regards to the puke thing this happened to me with canned Tuna. Sushi grade? No problem, I'll eat the fish raw out of the ocean. Canned? I'll be dry heaving in seconds

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i remember the (white, racist) boys at my school having a chilli-eating contest, where they proved their manliness by eating raw bird's eye chillis. they were all standing around guffawing and weeping with like three chillis in their mouth when one of the other guys, who was from sri lanka, came up and shoved a whole fistful in his mouth, chewed, swallowed, and then walked off without a word. with that, the contest ended

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Hot sauces are the worst because nobody except for Tabasco and Frank's can just have normal names. Sometimes I'd like something a little extra spicy and flavorful to put in a chili or something but I'll be goddamned if I'm going to buy Dipshit Dave's Flaming Anal Disaster Sauce: Garlic Taint Explosion Flavor.

And if it does have a normal name it's usually just pureed ghost pepper concentrate or some poo poo. I just want some extra spice, not to have my mouth burn for the rest of the day.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pfft, that's not impressing anybody, and is definitely not excessive. Maybe they do just love that particular flavour.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
The most unbearable hot wings I ever had were probably normally spicy but the sauce was so full of vinegar the smell stung your nose and they were exquisitely painful to eat. I cried the entire time, but the high was addicting I guess because I ate all of them.

This was at The Celtic Hearth in St. John's, NF. The moose burgers there are incredible. Easily the best tasting burger I think I've ever had.

I'd marry a man that would shoot me a moose or two just so I could eat them year round.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Who What Now posted:

Hot sauces are the worst because nobody except for Tabasco and Frank's can just have normal names. Sometimes I'd like something a little extra spicy and flavorful to put in a chili or something but I'll be goddamned if I'm going to buy Dipshit Dave's Flaming Anal Disaster Sauce: Garlic Taint Explosion Flavor.

And if it does have a normal name it's usually just pureed ghost pepper concentrate or some poo poo. I just want some extra spice, not to have my mouth burn for the rest of the day.

I've been growing some very spicy chili's all er and will soon be making a batch of hot sauce, I'll call it Bitchboy Bastians Ball Blasting Hot Sauce - Burninator Edition : Gaiden as a tribute to you, fellow goon :)

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Its a little optimistic to call picky eaters 'people'

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Star Me Kitten posted:

I do this too, but don’t always feel compelled to put syrup on it. But I can’t resist mashing it up if I do.

Also, I know someone who claims to be “allergic to vegetables.” He’s in his late 40s and is very matter-of-fact and serious about it. IDGI. Like how can you live? All vegetables?? Is that even a thing? I don’t think that’s a thing. I shudder to think what his diet consists of.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

The Cubelodyte posted:

Also, I know someone who claims to be “allergic to vegetables.” He’s in his late 40s and is very matter-of-fact and serious about it. IDGI. Like how can you live? All vegetables?? Is that even a thing? I don’t think that’s a thing. I shudder to think what his diet consists of.

Reagan, (and Thatcher too I think?), had Ketchup legally classified as a vegetable in the 80s, so as to avoid having to feed school kids healthily.

Is he allergic to that?

But also seriously, how can you live being allergic to "all vegetables"? Are your meals just steaks and apple slices? When eh eats at McDonalds, does he have to pick out the lettuce and tomatoes and pickles? How about chips? Coz potatoes are vegetables too.

Also, keeping my pedantic hat on, isn't "Vegetable" a botanically meaningless term? As in it covers a huge biologically diverse range of plants, so to be allergic to all of them probably means you are allergic to most grass, trees, bushes and flowers as well?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
How the gently caress does a fourty year old person arrange their life in such a way that when they say something so profoundly loving moronic nobody goes "That's not physically possible you stupid ignorant shithead"

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Strumpie posted:

she had a vested interest in keeping me alive so she could sit on my face.

i'd call her selfish but i'm honestly not complaining (and wouldn't want to seem ungrateful).

we're just gonna gloss over this?

this apparently adult american never had mountain dew or taco bell or a hotdog until they were old enough to gently caress?

were you molested my man? was your "hush money" some fast food? :psyduck:

also i don't know about 7-11 but Quicktrip literally tosses the dogs and replaces them at regular FDA mandated rules for keeping food hot without causing food poisoning... the shits not gonna kill you unless you eat it like every day (due to nutrition, not them being "old) and why would anyone want to do that?

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 14, 2020

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Wendigee posted:

we're just gonna gloss over this?

this apparently adult american never had mountain dew or taco bell or a hotdog until they were old enough to gently caress?

were you molested my man? was your "hush money" some fast food? :psyduck:

also i don't know about 7-11 but Quicktrip literally tosses the dogs and replaces them at regular FDA mandated rules for keeping food hot without causing food poisoning... the shits not gonna kill you unless you eat it like every day (due to nutrition, not them being "old) and why would anyone want to do that?

not American, questionable adulthood at both the time and the present. she is also older than me, so possibly a cougar situation if you want to get scandalous.

as for the food and drink, i don't eat fast food or drink soft drinks so i was being shown new experiences by the ~mysterious (Brooklyn) foreigner~ when i lived in NYC.
it was something fun to do in between the sex (which was a chore, i could hardly breath down there).

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Cilantro is good

Truth.

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Soup is good, sorry. Maybe tell east Asia to stop making really great soups and then I might say that soup is bad except oh wait have you ever had homemade french onion soup with the bread and gruyere? Cause that is some Soup.

Soup is good. Haters can go gently caress themselves.

Star Me Kitten posted:

This is a dumb rereg. Don't fall for it. Or engage, if it sounds like fun to you. Either way, they gave money to Lowtax.

edit: a lot of us did, but this rereg did it after it came out the he was an abuser.

Mushika fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 14, 2020

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I always eat the dick but I never eat the balls, they just aren't appetising to me like a good chewy dick. I don't know why.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Strumpie posted:

it was something fun to do in between the sex (which was a chore, i could hardly breath down there).

lol you are a gem friend

makes much more sense you not being american though.... I'm sorry you had to suffocate under her lady parts... why not just have her lay down and go to town though? Was she into dominating you or something?

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 14, 2020

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

How the gently caress does a fourty year old person arrange their life in such a way that when they say something so profoundly loving moronic nobody goes "That's not physically possible you stupid ignorant shithead"

It seems the same thing happened to you with "fourty"

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

Reagan, (and Thatcher too I think?), had Ketchup legally classified as a vegetable in the 80s, so as to avoid having to feed school kids healthily.

the US did the same thing with pizza sauce on school pizza. it was counted as vegetable and as far as I know, it still is. I didn't know it went as far back as Reagan though... but I also didn't know he was even the president when I was in kindergarten as I was loving 5 and that was not a priority in my life.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 14, 2020

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Star Me Kitten posted:

thats just you living your life

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

the best food ever to puke up after a night of drinking waaaay to much is ice cream.... like a basic flavor no nuts or chocolate chunks or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Strumpie posted:

so you're saying, you're picky about eating pussy, or possibly rear end. ungrateful

Wendigee posted:

the best food ever to puke up after a night of drinking waaaay to much is ice cream.... like a basic flavor no nuts or chocolate chunks or anything.

truth