Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

The names of ships and colonies in the Alien universe had such interesting names. USCSS Nostromo came from the Joseph Conrad novel of the same name, and the USS Sulaco was named after a town in the novel. The Incunabulum (Aliens: Labyrinth) was taken from before the 16th century from Incunable, an early word of book. And the from the same comic, the station Innominata (Latin for unnamed substance, used in medical terminology) is just as fitting. Hadley's Hope while less inspired still fit the universe. What does it take to fit the somewhat ill defined name method of naming these ships, stations, other craft and places? Just some Latin or names from history/novels/other languages? Am I just overthinking this? Probably.

Participation trophy: Sevastopol Satiation. Fits but kinda lazy.

Hall of shame:
USM Auriga
USCSS Prometheus
USCSS Covenant
USS Fidanza

Free pass: Betty

Edit: USCSS Anesidora, USCSS Torrens, Narcissus lifeboat, and the Nostromos sister ship USCSS Salmacis. All Decent names. Narcissus especially.

Also not including the Derelict (Juggernaut) and other Space Jockey ships.

I'll start:

USCSS Eonia

USS Susurrar

Linux Pirate fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Linux Pirate posted:

Participation trophy: Sevastopol Satiation. Fits but kinda lazy.

That game also had two named ships, the Anesidora and the Torrens.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

That game also had two named ships, the Anesidora and the Torrens.

Good point, sorry I missed those.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dont forget the Narcissus the ship Ripley escapes the Nostromo in.

quote:

Like its parent vessel, the Nostromo, the Narcissus is named after an element featured in the works of Joseph Conrad — in this case, the titular vessel from his 1897 novella The N*gger of the 'Narcissus': A Tale of the Forecastle (retitled The Children of the Sea in some American editions).

Also its (not shown) sister ship the Salmacis.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Jesus I am getting schooled when I thought I knew a lot about Alien.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
SS Dooku
SS Windu
SS Binks
SS Grievous

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Deskeletonization.

They're all thinking about it.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

BluesShaman posted:

SS Dooku
SS Windu
SS Binks
SS Grievous

USCSS Peepeepoopoo (he is bad president)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Complaint report: USCSS Aliquid Atrox,

Large amounts of pain medication and gourmet cookies have been reported tampered and missing outside their sealed containers mid-flight, indicating crew theft and a need for reimbursement to customer. In addition multiple female employees of Weyland-Yutani have also filed HR and physical harassment claims against Captain. R Kyanka. Cpt. Kyanka claims that his innocence is proven by lack of guilty verdicts by any WY penal auxiliary or by US legal system. He also claims his mother, who is a lawyer, has put in a good word with authorities. It should also be noted that the USCSS Aliquid Atrox is seventy-one months, possibly more, overdue for craft maintenance and upgrades. It should be reported that there have also been two incidents involving synthetics (artificial human) and employees. One was that of an incident involving a Hyperdyne Systems 120-A/2 synthetic pushing an employee down a flight of stairs. Another involving an employee being shoved by a Seegson Working Joe trying forcefully to feed an employee bread.

Linux Pirate fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 15, 2020