Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Ugh so dumb and lovely and ugly how disgusting, let me know when you gonna sell it, uh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

.Z. posted:

Oh yeah, if any of you have a FC980C board and feel like blowing a bunch of money on it, Norbauer has preorders up for aluminum and steel replacement cases. ($545 and $1,475 :aaaaa:)

https://shop.norbauer.com/products/the-heavy-9-fc980c?variant=32616967209014

Uh, no. I'm happy with my default case. Can't you build a ridiculously good board from scratch at that price?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Lord Stimperor posted:

Ugh so dumb and lovely and ugly how disgusting, let me know when you gonna sell it, uh

I'll keep you posted.
I'm not gonna eat that $70 shipping though so buyer beware it's not gonna be cheap.

Really I'm just in it for that loving wicked carrying case.

If round 2 ever happens I'll probably just buy the PCB w/qmk if that's possible.

On a serious note...
I literally can't afford to feed my family. Someone please help me budget this:

e: I can probably do with just one of the two thick clicks and either the blueberry or sherbet but I can't decide and I've never tried them.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I got in as one of the lucky 200 who are part of the duckboard group buy. Pretty hyped for a $23 number pad with QMK, rotary encoder, OLED and underglow LEDs.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ihatepants posted:

I got in as one of the lucky 200 who are part of the duckboard group buy. Pretty hyped for a $23 number pad with QMK, rotary encoder, OLED and underglow LEDs.

wow holy poo poo that thing sold out in seconds.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

That piece of poo poo costs FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS?!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Deviant posted:

That piece of poo poo costs FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS?!

oh you sweet summer child.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh you sweet summer child.

No, no, I am very familiar with what this hobby costs, my high profile ctrl and stacks of keycaps are proof of that.

but that piece of poo poo

costs four hundred dollars.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Again, yeah. If you want something not mass produced and not poo poo like a Sat75 it'll cost you $1500 on /r/mechmarket

e: anything else is going to be group buy raffles where only like 100 people even get a chance to buy one just so they can flip it on /r/mechmarket.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

You are absolutely keying in on the 'four hundred dollars' part of my sentence

when what I am trying to explain

is that keyboard

is a piece of laughable garbage I would be embarrassed to own at any price.

it looks like elon musk's tonka truck, the synth from Close Encounters, and a ti-83 calculator had a horrific love child

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Deviant posted:

it looks like elon musk's tonka truck, the synth from Close Encounters, and a ti-83 calculator had a horrific love child

Oh yeah totally, not arguing that at all. It looks like something William Shatner would stick his dick in when nobody else was on the bridge.
But it'll be the only keyboard I own that I can draw penises on so...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I don't care what it costs but I can't imagine buying a custom numpad without = and Tab.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

~Coxy posted:

I don't care what it costs but I can't imagine buying a custom numpad without = and Tab.

I mean the operative word there is custom.
Any/all of the buttons could be = and tab if you wanted.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Woop. My Moonlander shipped today

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Just had some Drop Skylight keycaps delivered and put them on my kbd67mkiirgblmao.

I got the all black set so it actually matches the black case (I previously had the black on grey set from kbdfans).

They are a bit thinner pbt than what I had but they have a decent texture and the sound is almost the same.

The other set will be put on my dz65rgb (? I don't even know at this point) that was just delivered.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Yay received my Susuwatari order and the spacebars aren't hosed up like they were with the Zabumon set.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Are there any hot swappable TKL boards/PCBs with ISO layout besides GMMK out there?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Boz0r posted:

Are there any hot swappable TKL boards/PCBs with ISO layout besides GMMK out there?

yes.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

What does everybody think of my new split-ortho-ergonomic layout?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Nondescript Van posted:

What does everybody think of my new split-ortho-ergonomic layout?

Now this I would pay $400 for!

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Boz0r posted:

There's this CU80 group buy
https://caps-unlocked.com/cu80-round-3/
Apparently this was canceled because they started the group buy before round 2 was even completed and people were upset.

If you're willing to lose a couple of keys and go down to a 75%, there's also this Idobao ID80v2 that ends in 9 days
https://www.idobao.net/products/idobao-id80v2-75-hot-swappable-mechanical-keyboard-kit

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

ihatepants posted:

This is great, the rotary encoder is so cool. Hopefully there'll be a second round someday.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Welp maybe not. I was gonna post the CU-80 as well but it's over
https://caps-unlocked.com/cu80-round-3/

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Which switches have the best backlighting? Are there designs that have less spill than others? Can that be mitigated with some kind of off the shelf shade that surrounds the switch?

I'm working on a car PC and decided I should make a custom board for my car instead of trying to reuse the existing stereo controls. It's basically just wider than a 60pct KB but I'd add some media specific keys, a display and an encoder or two.

I'd like the backlighting to be as perfect as possible.

Stock is this:

taqueso fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 13, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I'm not sure what you mean exactly, by perfect back lighting, but switches will either have an opaque, translucent, or clear housing.
They will also either have a hole in the housing to allow the LED to shine through, or not.

No hole and opaque housing = no light shine through.
Clear housing and hole = the most light shine through.
Any other combination is somewhere inbetween.

The leds can either be SMD (surface mounted on the board) or through hole where the leds sit atop the switch and pass through that hole in the switch to the board (like in the WSAD Code on the 1st post of this thread)

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Romer g have amazing backlights, but they feel like lovely browns

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I have a code with cherry clears, the lighting is mediocre on some of the legends, especially around the edges. I'd like to have the backlighting be as even as possible, so if some switch type is good at that I'd prefer it. Perhaps it is more the keycaps? And when I look at photos of keyboards, there is a ton of spill around the keycaps. I'd like to avoid that if possible. I suppose a matte black PCB would help some, or that almost-vantablack paint. And the demo shots are likely on full power.

If I have to make a bunch of little 3d-printed walls to go around the switches I probably would.

Spill between the keys:

e: I did also have the idea of doing front lighting (as in lights shining from above the keys onto them, not legends on the front of the caps), which would open things up to a bunch of cooler keycaps, but I'm not sure how well it would work in practice.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 13, 2020

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Romer g have amazing backlights, but they feel like lovely browns

I hate Romer G as well. Pure trash.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Lol Romer G's whole existence is based on having good RGB. They literally designed it around having the center column having the LED shine trhough right in the middle.

EDIT:

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 13, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Ok, no romer g. Not sure I could buy those as just switches anyway

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

:toot:

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Flashy oven mitts

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Yeah the palm rests make it look a bit oven mitt like...

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

They still look cool and somehow comfy imo!

So I've caved and done my first Massdrop order for a switch sampler pack (I have been looking for a tester but all the ones I've wanted have been sold out forever, unsurprisingly, and this has a bunch of types I wanna try). I don't have a hot swap board yet, so what should I mount them in to test them out? I have plenty of spare keycaps to put on em, just not sure what to stick them in to hold them stable. Poking around, I've seen things ranging from cardboard to hot swap macro pads that would work, but ideally I want a very cheap option that is more durable than cardboard. Do y'all have any ideas?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Stroop There It Is posted:

It's very very comfy

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Stroop There It Is posted:

So I've caved and done my first Massdrop order for a switch sampler pack (I have been looking for a tester but all the ones I've wanted have been sold out forever, unsurprisingly, and this has a bunch of types I wanna try). I don't have a hot swap board yet, so what should I mount them in to test them out? I have plenty of spare keycaps to put on em, just not sure what to stick them in to hold them stable. Poking around, I've seen things ranging from cardboard to hot swap macro pads that would work, but ideally I want a very cheap option that is more durable than cardboard. Do y'all have any ideas?

I'd just stick them into some sort of dense-ish material like styrofoam, or maybe even a tightly packed play doh or something. With switch testers, you can only really feel how individual switches feel and not how typing with them feels, so I wouldn't really bother making an ideal switch tester setup.

Also, you could opt for a 3d printed plate maybe, if you think it's worth it:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/9BA4DU3C9/cherry-mx-7-switch-tester?optionId=59790663&li=marketplace

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Here is a quick guide to making your stabilizers not suck so much.

1) Cut out some padding to go under. Bandaids work (hence the name). I'm using some silicone sheet I bought years ago.

2) Cut off those stupid thin feet.

3) Lube them bad boys up. I use "Super Lube" and it is indeed super. How much should you add? Impossible to say. That amount probably doesn't exist. Push it in to every crevice you can find and wipe off the stem when you're done if you want to be all neat about it.

4) Assemble the rest of your keyboard.

5) Enjoy it's special uniqueness.

6) Ask yourself why.

Nondescript Van fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 14, 2020

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Nondescript Van posted:

Stabalizer stuff

If nothing else, the greasing really should be done on any board.

Also I've run out of ideas of how to make my stabilizer keys (especially the spacebar) quieter.
They've been clipped, lubed and greased, band-aid modded, and heatshrinked. I've also added foam to the Backspace and Spacebar and the improvements are minimal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AEsz9KvM8A

Any thoughts on what I could do? Re-do the lubing/greasing? More grease? More foam?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Constellation I posted:

I'd just stick them into some sort of dense-ish material like styrofoam, or maybe even a tightly packed play doh or something. With switch testers, you can only really feel how individual switches feel and not how typing with them feels, so I wouldn't really bother making an ideal switch tester setup.

Also, you could opt for a 3d printed plate maybe, if you think it's worth it:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/9BA4DU3C9/cherry-mx-7-switch-tester?optionId=59790663&li=marketplace
Makes sense! I have a buddy with a 3D printer so maybe I'll look into that too.

IDK how silly of an idea this is, but at least I can use these for other purposes if it doesn't work: I found some silicone ice trays for making mini ice cubes, one of which makes cubes that are 0.5 inches (12.7 mm), and one of which makes cubes that are 0.6 inches (15.24 mm)... and it seems like MX-style switches are generally 14mm wide. I'm wondering if I'll be able to squish the switches into the first one, since the silicone ice trays I have are flexible...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

My K2 arrived today. The backlight mode that makes waves of color shoot out from pressed keys made me giggle like an idiot. I currently have it set to alien semen yellow and am well pleased.

Within like five minutes I said out loud to no one and google "oh, that's why there's normally empty space around backspace" but who gives a poo poo: there's room on my keyboard tray for my mouse now.