Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Harry Potter makes way more sense when you realize wizards are meant to be a parody of the British upper class, which was undermined by Rowling becoming part of said class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Zore posted:

I mean Voldemort is literally the product of a witch who uses a love potion to rape a muggle. Its super hosed up.

It's been ages since I read it, but didn't Dumbledore try to paint it as a tragedy that Voldemort's mom got kicked out by Riddle Sr.? Harry asked why she stopped giving Riddle Sr. the love potion (and not seeing anything wrong with it), and Dumbledore theorized that she stopped because she thought maybe he'd already come to love her and he'd stay for their rape baby. Except he didn't, and Dumbledore made Riddle Sr. sound like a huge jerk for telling his rapist to gently caress off forever and being unable to explain to anyone what he went through other than him being tricked.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Yes, and he can see riddles mom is a battered woman living in a wooden shack with crazies (wizards).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TheAardvark posted:

every trained wizard has the know-how and recipe to make a love potion, i think we have to face the fact that the Harry Potter wizarding universe is filled to the brim with sex pests

That's just a part of the authentic british boarding school experience

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FunkyAl posted:

Yes, and he can see riddles mom is a battered woman living in a wooden shack with crazies (wizards).

Who'd spent generations marrying their cousins.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Remember when a single prisoner escape has the government fill the school with literal soul sucking abominations which try to kill children at every opportunity and cause trauma by their mere presence

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I had to dig out my book to check on the whole Voldemort parent saga and yes, Tom Riddle is put in a bad light for being a victim to a crazy witch with love potions. Dumbledore summarizes it like this the next time he talks to Harry

Dumbledore posted:

we left the tale of Lord Voldemort's Beginnings at the point where the handsome Muggle, Tom Riddle, had abandoned his with wife, Merope, and returned to his family home in Little Hangleton

So yeah, that's pretty vindictive towards the guy who was drugged into marriage.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember when a single prisoner escape has the government fill the school with literal soul sucking abominations which try to kill children at every opportunity and cause trauma by their mere presence

It's true that cops have no place in schools but we're talking about Harry Potter itt

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's true that cops have no place in schools but we're talking about Harry Potter itt

Also they join up with Wizard Hitler immediately and the government covers it up

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I remember renting the first movie's game on PlayStation and thinking it was so cool.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've only read each book once, and seen each movie once (other than Deathy Hallows part 2, have not seen it) so forgive me if I get things wrong.

But am I crazy, or did Goblet of Fire never say that Beaxbaton was an all-girls' school and Durmstrong was an all-boys' school? Cause it's shown that way in the movie, along with a VERY weird intro scene for them where the Beaxbaton girls walk in and make sex noises while Durmstrong does firebending?

And did the representatives from those schools spend their entire time in that weird carriage (which I REALLY hope is bigger on the inside for their sake)/pirate boat? Like...I don't' recall them being seen or mentioned as being in the classes with Hogwarts, like actual exchange students. Seems like a really crappy way to spend an entire school year.

And since there's basically instantaneous travel in the HP world...why did they need to be there the whole time? Seems they could have come up to be introduced and have Dumbledore say "yo, there's a cool tournament at the end of the year" Perhaps come back for the Yule Ball, and then again for the tournament itself.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The fourth movie is the worst one, so much of it is rushed, incoherent and bad

In the book neither visiting school is uni-gender, and iirc they go to classes and everything

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i started a post speculating on the limits of the flue network and decided that I didn't care that much

it was going to have the phrase "maximum non-vomit distance" though

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
them going to classes wouldn't have been very visible since they were all 7th years. i honestly can't remember whether or not it comes up in the book

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
It's never mentioned

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The whole story of the fourth book is nonsense. Why do all the tournament poo poo instead of just turning Harry's shoe into a portkey or something

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I like the part where someone paints the wizard swastika in the sky and the ministry men immediately assume it was a house elf. Wizards are idiots.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

josh04 posted:

I like the part where someone paints the wizard swastika in the sky and the ministry men immediately assume it was a house elf. Wizards are idiots.

I mean, Barty Crouch immediately accuses Winky because she's supposed to be controlling his invisible Death Eater son who he suspects is the person who actually did it iirc. And he is desperately trying to get people to not look into the fact that he's been housing a wanted criminal for 15 years.

Other people immediately buy it because they don't want to admit that Death Eaters still exist so they throw their slave scapegoat under the bus. Its incredibly realistic.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Zore posted:

Other people immediately buy it because they don't want to admit that Death Eaters still exist so they throw their slave scapegoat under the bus. Its incredibly realistic.

There's fine wizards on both sides

I mean, clearly the Death Eaters were PROVOKED into this action by those insidious non-Nazis

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole story of the fourth book is kinda weird and meta since the whole thing with Harry being a sudden fourth entry into a normally age-restricted tournament breaking all the rule because of plot fiat is basically like fanfiction of itself. They even complain in-universe that Harry is completely upstaging Cedric Diggory being the first Hufflepuff to actually get to do something.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
What would happen to voldemort if he had killed harry potter? He wouldn't be able to come back again if somebody else killed him, unless there is anouther earth rending horcrux recovery spell

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

FunkyAl posted:

What would happen to voldemort if he had killed harry potter? He wouldn't be able to come back again if somebody else killed him, unless there is anouther earth rending horcrux recovery spell

I mean he could just make more Horcruxes? He made 7 of the drat things.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
As long as he had at least one horcrux the system worked. Thus why the whole last adventure is centered around finding and destroying all of them.

Edit:
He did seem to be vaguely afraid of splitting himself into too many pieces, or he'd have replaced the diary as soon as he was resurrected.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It took Voldemort like 14 years to return from being dead honestly killing him normally and never dealing with his horcruxes could be totally workable.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

reignofevil posted:

It took Voldemort like 14 years to return from being dead honestly killing him normally and never dealing with his horcruxes could be totally workable.

Seems like they could just wait him out. Like, the death eaters aren't getting any younger.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also to re-embody himself he needed at least part of his dead father. So like destroy the remains or hide them and its unclear he could come back at all.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Zore posted:

Also to re-embody himself he needed at least part of his dead father. So like destroy the remains or hide them and its unclear he could come back at all.

Presumably there were other ways to re-embody him. The diary nearly did it on it's own with Ginny after all.

In fact, there wasn't even a horcrux necessary for the ritual they used, just his spirit in a baby.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Speleothing posted:

As long as he had at least one horcrux the system worked. Thus why the whole last adventure is centered around finding and destroying all of them.

Edit:
He did seem to be vaguely afraid of splitting himself into too many pieces, or he'd have replaced the diary as soon as he was resurrected.

Was it ever explained that he HAD to use some sort of magically powerful item?

Diary
Locket
Ring
Ravenclaw Crown
Hufflepuff Cup
Nagani
Harry

It seems that the diary is the only one that's somewhat "normal", though being written by/in possession of a powerful wizard probably must have made it a little magical.

Could he not just horcrux up a couple of rocks and throw them in the loving ocean?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Diary
Locket
Ring
Ravenclaw Crown
Hufflepuff Cup
Nagani
Harry

It seems that the diary is the only one that's somewhat "normal", though being written by/in possession of a powerful wizard probably must have made it a little magical.

Could he not just horcrux up a couple of rocks and throw them in the loving ocean?

He absolutely could have, and it was even pointed out that he could have done this, but deliberately chose not to because he enjoyed the symbolism of taking these ancient wizard relics and using them as his soul jars.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Never forget just how loving stupid Voldemort was.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Diary
Locket
Ring
Ravenclaw Crown
Hufflepuff Cup
Nagani
Harry

Yeah, Harry explicitly points this out when talking to Dumbledore about the Horcrux hunt and Dumbledore's answer is basically that Voldemort was such an egomaniac that he would never stoop to putting his soul in anything that wasn't personally significant to him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Speleothing posted:

Dumbledore says splitting yourself too many times is a bad idea because you end up losing too much of your humanity or something, but Voldy never really seemed to care about it. IIRC he specifically settled on seven because it's a ~magically powerful number~

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I believe the horcrux thing goes to help explain why his soul is an aborted fetus under a bench in a train station.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Zore posted:

Yeah, Harry explicitly points this out when talking to Dumbledore about the Horcrux hunt and Dumbledore's answer is basically that Voldemort was such an egomaniac that he would never stoop to putting his soul in anything that wasn't personally significant to him.

LOl, still kind of BS, like...other than because he went to Hogwart's, what connection did he have to the Ravenclaw Diadem or the Hufflepuff Cup?

And REALLY drat convenient he decided not to use the Sword of Gryffindor so it could then be used to destroy FOUR of the other loving ones.

Edit: If the goal is to make a Horcrux no one will be able to find or get at, can I retroactively make mine that Shockwave Transformers toy I lost when I was 8? That thing vanished off the face of the Earth.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Zore posted:

Begrudgingly making the beat up '71 Chevy Malibu with no wheels that's in my neighbor's driveway my horcrux for security purposes.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Edit: If the goal is to make a Horcrux no one will be able to find or get at, can I retroactively make mine that Shockwave Transformers toy I lost when I was 8? That thing vanished off the face of the Earth.

Nah you have to actually have it when you do the ritual. Absolutely nothing stopping you from using magic to hide your horcrux away in the vast reaches of space tho.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
JKR said there was a jewish kid at hogwarts. Are wizards religious? Why doesn't the torah talk about magic at all?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i never really thought about it but wizards constantly break the speed of light and could definitely rig up a spell to survive the vacuum of space

why haven't there been any space wizards out looking for aliens and poo poo

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
When do they break the speed of light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

JKR said there was a jewish kid at hogwarts. Are wizards religious? Why doesn't the torah talk about magic at all?

Well it's forbidden in Leviticus, but Jewish tradition makes reference to both good and bad magic.