Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I want to try that. I'm afraid that the seasoning would be burnt before I cooked the chops through; I guess I could finish them in the over or cook them more slowly on lower heat. I have some mushrooms to use up, so I'd add them to the gravy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It wasn't a problem I found, just add lots of butter I made like 6 of them in one go. I mostly kept it at setting 7 (of 10) on my induction top in a cast iron skillet, sometimes I dropped to 6, so around medium-high-ish I guess. They aren't very thick and when you do the finger pressing thing they get flatter, it's like a milder form of beating them with a meat hammer.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I need to use fermented instead of distilled red wine vinegar, but after dinner I made posca!

Posca was the drink of soldiers and the lower classes in Ancient Rome. It was a healthy way of recycling wine that had soured into vinegar by mixing it with water. There's claims of adding honey and even spices to it, but I'm not sure how popular that would have been since people who could regularly afford that could also afford good wine (not getting into ones that were heavily infused with herbs for medicinal purposes). It was a regular part of soldiers' rations and people like Cato the Elder and Hadrian drank it while with the soldiers.

Because I was unsure about it, I used a sample recipe that uses only 2 tablespoons of vinegar to 250ml (about 8.4 oz.) of water. While it still smells quite strongly of vinegar, the water blunts the taste sufficiently for it to not be disgusting. It comes out as tangy, not unlike if you've had a shrub cocktail with vinegar. I'm not entirely sure about increasing the amount of vinegar too much past this amount. I might try it with honey when I get the proper vinegar.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

chitoryu12 posted:

I need to use fermented instead of distilled red wine vinegar, but after dinner I made posca!

Posca was the drink of soldiers and the lower classes in Ancient Rome. It was a healthy way of recycling wine that had soured into vinegar by mixing it with water. There's claims of adding honey and even spices to it, but I'm not sure how popular that would have been since people who could regularly afford that could also afford good wine (not getting into ones that were heavily infused with herbs for medicinal purposes). It was a regular part of soldiers' rations and people like Cato the Elder and Hadrian drank it while with the soldiers.

Because I was unsure about it, I used a sample recipe that uses only 2 tablespoons of vinegar to 250ml (about 8.4 oz.) of water. While it still smells quite strongly of vinegar, the water blunts the taste sufficiently for it to not be disgusting. It comes out as tangy, not unlike if you've had a shrub cocktail with vinegar. I'm not entirely sure about increasing the amount of vinegar too much past this amount. I might try it with honey when I get the proper vinegar.

Well, honey can be reasonably cheap if you know someone who keeps bees. Plus, back before granulated sugar became readily available, honey was (I believe) the most common sweetener. So it wouldn't have been unusual to have on hand.

Plus, depending on what quantity you're buying the spices in and how much you're putting in the posca, it could be the alcohol equivalent of buying cheap cuts of meat and adding a couple teaspoons of spices into a stew or a braise. How the spices get added would make a difference, too - tossing something in to steep means you can strain them out and use them again in another dish, or use up something that's on its last legs.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

tinytort posted:

Well, honey can be reasonably cheap if you know someone who keeps bees. Plus, back before granulated sugar became readily available, honey was (I believe) the most common sweetener. So it wouldn't have been unusual to have on hand.
In fact early European accounts of sugarcane cultivation (e.g. Pliny the Elder, Dioscorides) describe it as a wondrous reed that contains honey.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I made switchel the other day (apple cider vinegar, honey, ginger, and water) and it's quite pleasant. The recipe I used called for equal portions of vinegar and honey, with about 1/2 cup vinegar per gallon of water, but I think I probably could have doubled the vinegar at least and still had pretty decent results.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pham Nuwen posted:

I made switchel the other day (apple cider vinegar, honey, ginger, and water) and it's quite pleasant. The recipe I used called for equal portions of vinegar and honey, with about 1/2 cup vinegar per gallon of water, but I think I probably could have doubled the vinegar at least and still had pretty decent results.

I was actually planning on doing a rum-spiked version of the Townsends switchel recipe, using Smith & Cross Traditional Jamaican like I did for the grog challenge.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just bottled some ginger liqueur; what's the recipe???

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I just bottled some ginger liqueur; what's the recipe???

I don't remember what I used, I basically just searched for "switchel recipe" and picked one. They were mostly the same, IIRC it was basically this:

• 1 gallon water
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1-2 "inches" grated ginger (that's how the recipe stated it... if you get about 1/2 cup of grated ginger, that would probably be good)

Mix it all together and refrigerate.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Trying to do some math here. If I was making a quart of rum switchel and wanted the ABV to be no more than 10-15%, and I was using rum of 57% ABV, that would be about 6 to 8 oz. of rum in the jar?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

chitoryu12 posted:

Trying to do some math here. If I was making a quart of rum switchel and wanted the ABV to be no more than 10-15%, and I was using rum of 57% ABV, that would be about 6 to 8 oz. of rum in the jar?

(Final volume * desired ABV)/spirit ABV = needed spirit volume

10% would be with 5.61oz
15% would be with 8.42oz

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A--e0axoGxc

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I make switchel when LARPing and hot dang it is incredible after battle, its way more refreshing than you expect

I usually use powdered ginger and brown sugar, you can mix the sugar/vinegar/ginger first and mix with water later if that's more convenient

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
hey thread. i was gifted a spurdle for my birthday so that i could be my most traditionally Scottish self.

i think the utensil comes from 15th century scotland? i need to do more research. i do know that you are expected to stir your oatmeal and porridge clockwise with your righthand.

i also know that some fancier spurdles are made to resemble Scotch thistle. mine does not sadly.

anyways, i was skimming through the thread a d didnt see any medieval porridge/oatmeal recipes. maybe i missed them... does anyone know of any? i wish to taste medieval gruel.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
http://medievalcookery.com/recipes/ is a good site, and http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq3.html#medieval has a nice overview of other links to medieval recipes.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I am intrigued by the spurdle (or spurtle, as I've seen spelled more often in my cursory search).

As someone who used to make restaurant-sized vats of grits on the regular, I know the importance of having a good stirring stick. The whole "must stir clockwise" aspect would have thrown me, as we had to stir two pots at once, and it's so much easier to do one hand one way, and the other the other way.

Though this website:

http://www.porridgelady.com/2014/01/20/the-spurtle-customs-myths-legends-and-lump-free-porridge/

...would indicate that I'm already cursed by the devil for using two hands, it's just supposed to be the right hand. Wouldn't want sinister porridge, now, would we? :ohdear:

Anyways, the above link might lead to a good person to try asking for recipes!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I can across a reference to guests at a funeral in 17th/18th C. Virginia being served ‘burnt claret and cakes.’ What the heck is burnt claret? Fortified wine? Distilled brandy? Mulled wine?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I can across a reference to guests at a funeral in 17th/18th C. Virginia being served ‘burnt claret and cakes.’ What the heck is burnt claret? Fortified wine? Distilled brandy? Mulled wine?

Burnt claret is taking claret, spicing or mulling it, and then heating it by means of a hot iron or poker from the fire being plunged in to it before serving. They did the same thing with sack and madeira.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanks! Have y’all ever tried either method? Sounds delicious maybe?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I've made mulled wine lots of times, and it's delicious. I've also made flips using the hot poker method, and it works pretty well.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I am intrigued by the spurdle (or spurtle, as I've seen spelled more often in my cursory search).

As someone who used to make restaurant-sized vats of grits on the regular, I know the importance of having a good stirring stick. The whole "must stir clockwise" aspect would have thrown me, as we had to stir two pots at once, and it's so much easier to do one hand one way, and the other the other way.

Though this website:

http://www.porridgelady.com/2014/01/20/the-spurtle-customs-myths-legends-and-lump-free-porridge/

...would indicate that I'm already cursed by the devil for using two hands, it's just supposed to be the right hand. Wouldn't want sinister porridge, now, would we? :ohdear:

Anyways, the above link might lead to a good person to try asking for recipes!

lmao, this is excellent! i wish i had a traditional one with the thistle. mine is definitely modern. very nice and it works well--i suppose i'll be keeping my eye out for more advanced spurdles...

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, this isn't strictly on topic, but I bet a lot of the goons in this thread would know. I'm making some nice crusty french rolls for dinner tomorrow, and I'm following this recipe to make them, but using my own starter. I couldn't start the recipe tomorrow due to scheduling issues, so I had to start it today. The issue is that I want nice, fresh, crusty rolls for dinner, but if I bake them tonight, I'll bet money they won't be that way tomorrow. Is there any point in the recipe where I could stop and let the dough sit till tomorrow, where I can pick it up and resume the process and have nice fresh rolls for dinner? I'm guessing the refrigeration step, but I'm not sure.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Burnt claret made me think of bochet, an extremely delicious variant of mead. Basically you caramelize the honey on the stove before diluting with water and fermenting as normal. Make it dark. It comes out with a much more interesting flavor than regular mead.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, this isn't strictly on topic, but I bet a lot of the goons in this thread would know. I'm making some nice crusty french rolls for dinner tomorrow, and I'm following this recipe to make them, but using my own starter. I couldn't start the recipe tomorrow due to scheduling issues, so I had to start it today. The issue is that I want nice, fresh, crusty rolls for dinner, but if I bake them tonight, I'll bet money they won't be that way tomorrow. Is there any point in the recipe where I could stop and let the dough sit till tomorrow, where I can pick it up and resume the process and have nice fresh rolls for dinner? I'm guessing the refrigeration step, but I'm not sure.

The fridge step is pretty much where you could freeze the the dough. If you dont freeze, itll still rise very slowly at fridge temps. You could also bake them and just reheat in the oven for 10 minutes. If you baked, cooled, and stored in an airtight container they wont stale out and should crisp up just fine.

E: i love italian beefs. Gonnella is my go to french roll for said sandy. They ship frozen baked rolls and they turn out great every time.

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 16, 2020

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

ZombieCrew posted:

The fridge step is pretty much where you could freeze the the dough. If you dont freeze, itll still rise very slowly at fridge temps. You could also bake them and just reheat in the oven for 10 minutes. If you baked, cooled, and stored in an airtight container they wont stale out and should crisp up just fine.

E: i love italian beefs. Gonnella is my go to french roll for said sandy. They ship frozen baked rolls and they turn out great every time.

I had just put the rolls in the oven before I read this, so I'll try the 2nd suggestion there.I kinda wonder if I could just wrap the rolls in foil and then bag them up. I figure the foil might help the crust re-crisp the next day, maybe?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, double post, but hey, everyone likes a follow-up report. Rolls came out.... not bad, but not great, either. This was my first time making this recipe, so I wasn't expecting miracles. I'm pretty sure I over-mixed the dough at the start. The bread came out kinda dense. Not terrible, but definitely more like a sourdough in texture. Dense and chewy, not light and fluffy. Further, the bottoms of the rolls were nice and crusty and brown, but the tops were white and soft. I think either I didn't add enough egg wash, or I should've gone with what I've seen other recipes list and added a pan of water along with the rolls instead of the egg wash. Since the recipe didn't mention moving the rolls off the sheet pan they were on in the fridge before baking I pretty much just took them out of the fridge, slapped the wash on them, sliced them and threw them straight into the oven. After cooling down, there was still moisture under the rolls and under the parchment paper.

So, overall, kinda disappointed, but I tried it and now I have some things to change for next time.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

neogeo0823 posted:

So, double post, but hey, everyone likes a follow-up report. Rolls came out.... not bad, but not great, either. This was my first time making this recipe, so I wasn't expecting miracles. I'm pretty sure I over-mixed the dough at the start. The bread came out kinda dense. Not terrible, but definitely more like a sourdough in texture. Dense and chewy, not light and fluffy. Further, the bottoms of the rolls were nice and crusty and brown, but the tops were white and soft. I think either I didn't add enough egg wash, or I should've gone with what I've seen other recipes list and added a pan of water along with the rolls instead of the egg wash. Since the recipe didn't mention moving the rolls off the sheet pan they were on in the fridge before baking I pretty much just took them out of the fridge, slapped the wash on them, sliced them and threw them straight into the oven. After cooling down, there was still moisture under the rolls and under the parchment paper.

So, overall, kinda disappointed, but I tried it and now I have some things to change for next time.

I feel like you'll get more help in the baking thread for specifics, but if its dense, it probably was over worked or didnt rise enough. Pan of water works, so does a few sprays from a bottle while baking.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ZombieCrew posted:

It's also entirely valid to do the first bulk rise, shape the rolls, then freeze them. Pull them out, thaw in the fridge, proof, bake off.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Watching the chefs table bbq last episode. Overall it's been amazing, but I had a question about one of the points made. They mentioned that the cochinita pibil and was making was over a thousand years old. I'd be curious what that original meat was as my understanding was that pigs only came over in the Columbian exchange.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Carillon posted:

Watching the chefs table bbq last episode. Overall it's been amazing, but I had a question about one of the points made. They mentioned that the cochinita pibil and was making was over a thousand years old. I'd be curious what that original meat was as my understanding was that pigs only came over in the Columbian exchange.

Javelinas/Peccaries were around before european pigs, and used to be herded for food, matbe they were used as the meat of choice?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Wahad posted:

Javelinas/Peccaries were around before european pigs, and used to be herded for food, matbe they were used as the meat of choice?

That's right. Pibil was a Mayan way of cooking and Mayans kept peccaries. They cooked other meat that way too but obviously peccary would be closest to cochinita pibil.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Prism posted:

That's right. Pibil was a Mayan way of cooking and Mayans kept peccaries. They cooked other meat that way too but obviously peccary would be closest to cochinita pibil.

Wahad posted:

Oh interesting, I didn't know about those! That's really interesting.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G1KwnmPhe0

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
It was a mild scandal that Starbucks used cochineal extract in their frozen drinks. They stopped doing it a few years back.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Don't know why, it's one of the oldest food colorings, and food and cosmetic safe. I'd have no more problem with it than Red 40, which is used in a ton of products.

Cochineal is 'Natural Red No. 4' in FDA parlance if you want to look for it in products.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Liquid Communism posted:

Don't know why, it's one of the oldest food colorings, and food and cosmetic safe. I'd have no more problem with it than Red 40, which is used in a ton of products.

Cochineal is 'Natural Red No. 4' in FDA parlance if you want to look for it in products.

IIRC the problem is not that it was used, it's that it isn't vegetarian and that wasn't labeled.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Also entirely non kosher, some jews don't care that much about kashrut markings but definitely would like to know if a food product contains insects.

E: And Wikipedia tells me that most schools of islam don't consider insects halal either.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 19, 2020

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Lack of labeling is a huge issue for folks with strict dietary restrictions, whether they're based on health, ethical, or religious grounds. It's why there are brands that only sell vegetarian, vegan, kosher, halal, gluten free, etc. products.

Edit: Similarly, it's why people with severe allergies or food intolerances are often highly cautious about eating out at unfamiliar places - one of my best friends is severely lactose intolerant and as often as not, a server can't answer whether or not a given dish contains any dairy. We generally get Thai or Vietnamese food when we go out (or went out, currently) because those cuisines are almost universally safe.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
If you want to eat insects, go all out with something like cockchafer soup.

Oh wait.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny8bZxjeAMk