Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yup. i got the cuisinart toaster oven / air fryer combo before this whole outbreak happened and it’s easily my most used appliance now besides... the fridge i guess. 100% recommend

the cuisinart is incredible

only thing to watch out for is it'll cook some things way hotter/faster than you'd expect. it's perfect for reheating things way faster than an oven and better than a microwave though, just gotta take it easy on the temp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

People at work have been singing the praises of the air fryer. I just don’t know if I’d use it enough.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

People at work have been singing the praises of the air fryer. I just don’t know if I’d use it enough.

It's a loving convection oven, don't waste your money on useless poo poo

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Takes real guts to say that in a thread full of people buying banjo skeletons

:getout:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

I would never call a Banjo Skeleton useless

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The real guts are those who return the banjo skeletons November 2nd.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
TP finally returned to one of the two churches within 100 miles of me!!

So did the banjo skeleton, however I didn't get one of those

PBUC

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Paul MaudDib posted:

Or an airfryer. Seriously top ten best ‘co purchases for me for sure. I use it all the time for basically “oven, but faster/crispier”. I heat hot dog buns and the mini naan dippers, mozzarella sticks, heat leftovers, etc. extremely versatile appliance, I seriously almost never use my microwave anymore except for hold warm and maybe liquids.

I've considered getting an air fryer, but I have the Panasonic FlashXpress which is a "toaster oven" but the way it toasts isn't normal heating elements that requires warm-up first, it uses some superheated infrared bars that instantly starts baking/crisping poo poo really quick, so yeah i can heat buns, mozzarella sticks, pizza leftovers, hashbrowns, fries, etc and have poo poo come out super toasty in like <5 minutes. i'm not sure if an air fryer would do much else for me that this doesn't. i don't have room for a microwave so i havent had one in years and don't miss it, and i was able to get rid of my toaster since this toasts bread real well.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Costco home of the innuendo (in ur end doo!)

Haven't been to Costco since literally the beginning of quarantine. I really want a dog!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It wouldn't do anything your toaster oven wouldn't.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Costco home of the innuendo (in ur end doo!)

Haven't been to Costco since literally the beginning of quarantine. I really want a dog!

you should go to Costco

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Xaris posted:

I've considered getting an air fryer, but I have the Panasonic FlashXpress which is a "toaster oven" but the way it toasts isn't normal heating elements that requires warm-up first, it uses some superheated infrared bars that instantly starts baking/crisping poo poo really quick, so yeah i can heat buns, mozzarella sticks, pizza leftovers, hashbrowns, fries, etc and have poo poo come out super toasty in like <5 minutes. i'm not sure if an air fryer would do much else for me that this doesn't. i don't have room for a microwave so i havent had one in years and don't miss it, and i was able to get rid of my toaster since this toasts bread real well.

yeah that sounds like an air fryer but with commie japanese "infrared bars" instead of good honest american oven heating coils

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 14, 2020

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'm honored to provide a thread title.

Air fryer is great to get crispy chicken nugs and fries for the kids. I tried making cheese curds once...not so good results.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alan Smithee posted:

you should go to Costco

I can't sadly. I will send one of my younger cousins on a mission for me so they can leave a dog at my doorstep

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah, what is all the hype over air fryers? I see people talking them up like they invented a new kind of heat or something and I don't see how you can't just get the same effect from cooking something over an elevated rack in an oven.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I have a toaster oven and it fuckin sucks so if that’s what an air fryer is gonna do then lol

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

pentyne posted:

Yeah, what is all the hype over air fryers? I see people talking them up like they invented a new kind of heat or something and I don't see how you can't just get the same effect from cooking something over an elevated rack in an oven.

basically it's a combination of oven temps and also forcing air over the food so that the watts get delivered rapidly rather than just naturally convecting as the oven feels like it

example: dip your hand in hot water, plunge your hand into hot oil and shake it around. thermal delivery matters.

it's effectively a lot of watts delivered very quickly to the food

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

It's a loving convection oven, don't waste your money on useless poo poo

it is so much better to fire up the air fryer to make something that fits inside of it rather than the conventional oven

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why is it called a fryer if it just bakes stuff?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Orvin posted:

Nooooooooooooooooo

That stuff was perfect for my diet. Reasonably priced, and just coffee. No cream, no sweetener. Plus it was individual portions, so I could grab a can or two on my way out the door to work at 3am.

Anyone have good cold caffeine alternative that doesn’t have any sweetener? I do buy the Lipton iced tea bottles, but something stronger would be nice.

Make your own cold brew coffee concentrate, with your Costco coffee beans, mix it with cold water and ice and take it with you in a thermos. It's less convenient, but not really by that much. It's also way cheaper than buying cans of brewed coffee.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
also I rent and my oven is old, non-convection and lovely, so my $99 air fryer turns something like oven fries from a 60 minute total (including preheat) process to 20 minutes start to finish with a better result

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Consider portion size also, if you're cooking for yourself or two people an air fryer heats up faster and uses up less energy than even a full size convection oven

On the bad side, the off brand air fryer i bought is a bitch to clean

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
BIRKENSTOCKS ARE BACK IN STOCK!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
wouldn't they be birken stock?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Thank you for this. I bought a pair for a friend who I have not converted yet. She's thrilled to get these.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Why is it called a fryer if it just bakes stuff?

America has an obsession with fried food. Make a machine advertised to do it without oil and :homebrew:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think air fryers are neat. My mom has the NINJA 3 IN 1 giant gently caress off air fryer, pressure cooker, crock pot. Its redonkulous and she never uses it. Best $300+ shes ever spent

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Now you all have me looking at air fryer ovens! Breville has one that is also a dehydrator, hmmmmm

As a kid my favourite thing was my granny’s dried apricots.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chinatown posted:

America has an obsession with fried food. Make a machine advertised to do it without oil and :homebrew:

Ummmmmm, FRENCH fries? :thunk:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

priznat posted:

Now you all have me looking at air fryer ovens! Breville has one that is also a dehydrator, hmmmmm

I got a Breville Smart Oven convection toaster oven in a crazy sale find for $100 and it's awesome.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

canyoneer posted:

I got a Breville Smart Oven convection toaster oven in a crazy sale find for $100 and it's awesome.

Yeah their stuff is normally pretty expensive but if you can find it on sale it’s great. I got a sweet deal on their recent espresso machine with the built in grinder and it’s fantastic. I suck at making espressos normally but even I can make some very tasty pulls on it. Good milk frothing too.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Favorite air fryer uses?

I've heard they're great for roasting frozen veggies and cooking small birds, esp. cornish hens.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have kids so I expect air frying fries or more healthy options would be extremely popular c/d

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Accretionist posted:

Favorite air fryer uses?

I've heard they're great for roasting frozen veggies and cooking small birds, esp. cornish hens.

I’ve used mine mainly to quickly cook potatoes and veggies. Slick them up, mix with some olive oil, toss in basket. I got one from my parents and it’s simply ok at it, but a coworker has a nicer model and they use it all the time.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Cornish Hens are great in our air fryer. But honestly my favorite use is just chucking a bunch of veggies, shrimp, and seasoning for a faux cajun bowl. It's fast, easy, and clean up is simpler than trying to open palm slam some shrimp and corn into a toaster oven.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

priznat posted:

I have the breville bov900bss -- it is awesome. I haven't used the dehydrate function yet but the airfry feature is great.

As far as air fryers general use case, they are basically perfect for cooking frozen junk food like tater tots or cheese sticks instead of the regular oven. All the recipes where people insist you can make home made deep fried food without frying are bullshit. Getting one that is a combo toaster oven allows you to at least cook more stuff easier than the full oven. I use mine to do whole chickens and baked potatoes. You just need to monitor the food temperature because the timing is different (usually much quicker).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

I have the breville bov900bss -- it is awesome. I haven't used the dehydrate function yet but the airfry feature is great.

As far as air fryers general use case, they are basically perfect for cooking frozen junk food like tater tots or cheese sticks instead of the regular oven. All the recipes where people insist you can make home made deep fried food without frying are bullshit. Getting one that is a combo toaster oven allows you to at least cook more stuff easier than the full oven. I use mine to do whole chickens and baked potatoes. You just need to monitor the food temperature because the timing is different (usually much quicker).

Interesting! I have a breville toaster oven too and the convection is really good for when I don’t want to fire up the big oven which is usually always because it is old and can’t hold temperature worth a drat. If it goes I would definitely go for the air dryer/fryer one but it probably will still be good for a while.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I am the ideal candidate for buying an air fryer. My freezer fries bill is considerable. I prepare all manner of pre-fried chicken at all hours. I buy a shitload of par-fried food regularly. My wife even has one in our amazon account's saved for later list. I should own one.

But I cant get past that its all going to be cooked in this loving coffermaker looking thing with a cheap plastic fry holder drip coffee filter holder thing that should have been made instead in to action figures or coat hangers. I simply do not understand this technology.

Is that thing seriously just plastic? It can't be.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

I am the ideal candidate for buying an air fryer. My freezer fries bill is considerable.

freezer fries PILED HIGH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The basket/cooker area is metal if that helps. Everything is plastic these days where they can get away with it because cheap beats longevity.