Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mister Olympus posted:

bozja has the fourth legion tho right

Seems that way. There's no VIIIth legion entry I can find anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
oh I think I just misread VIIth as VIIIth cause I was tired and got excited

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The constellations are presumably the same on each shard and the source, so if they have a location in space, they share the same location. If that helps any.

to add to this it seems like the moon you can see on the first and the moon in the source are the same - what that means for them being just in space... i have no idea

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That's the same legion as the one in the Ivalice raid right? Weird that the IVth is the one for that

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mad Wack posted:

to add to this it seems like the moon you can see on the first and the moon in the source are the same - what that means for them being just in space... i have no idea

There's a line somewhere that implies Zodiark is imprisoned in the moon, or is the moon. Since Zodiark is sundered, I'd expect it's a different moon for each shard, but it's all a reflection of the same one from the source.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That's the same legion as the one in the Ivalice raid right? Weird that the IVth is the one for that

Bozja is near Ivalice I think. And quite the distance from Garlemald proper, so an airship heavy force would probably be useful.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

YES bread posted:

can't believe the WoL honest-to-god punched a baby. maybe we were the real [jet black villains] all along...

Shadowbringers: Wherein You Beat Up an Old Man and a Child

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bozja is near Ivalice I think. And quite the distance from Garlemald proper, so an airship heavy force would probably be useful.

Yeah I think they're in the same location, but just with the general "legion number vaguely resembles game number"

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Bozja is IVth legion under Gabranth, noted to be unique among the legions for their use of summoners. At the very tail end of the Ivalice raid, Gabranth's people were in Ridorana Lighthouse/Goug working on figuring out the Tartarus system. So we're already starting with analogues to Golbez and Mist (IV), possibly with future callbacks to Babil (and that picture of Gunnhildr seems reminiscent of Asura). I'm sort of doubting the Moon will factor in, though.

But should also be noted that they tapped Matsuno for this particular storyline, so similarities to IV might also not go too much deeper.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hogama posted:

But should also be noted that they tapped Matsuno for this particular storyline, so similarities to IV might also not go too much deeper.

The 'Matsuno is writing' wildcard is what throws all predictions out of whack, as far as I see it. Because what we end up getting as far as references depends entirely on how little of a poo poo he gives.

If he's actually invested, all bets are off on where he'll go. It could go a combination of IV and the Ivalice games, but that could well be a conservative bet for all we know, and there's no telling what he'll pull from.

But we didn't get Invested Matsuno last time he wrote for FFXIV. We got Phoning It In Matsuno, and there's no guarantee we aren't getting the same thing now. And if it's Phoning It In Matsuno, then he's just gonna cram in the main story of one of his old games and let someone else figure out the how of it. The only question is which one; Gabranth says XII, but by virtue of the story we have to deal with a queen, so maybe Tactics Advance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's a line somewhere that implies Zodiark is imprisoned in the moon, or is the moon. Since Zodiark is sundered, I'd expect it's a different moon for each shard, but it's all a reflection of the same one from the source.

It is stated in the Minfilia cutscene where she talks to you about the history of the battle between the two and also directly stated in the lorebook.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

because we can

e:
it's fun to reminisce with the old crystal tower cutscenes

Mad Wack fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 14, 2020

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

you have to get down to his level

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I won't be satisfied until I see it with a potato in the ghost costume.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

To bring this back to ascian ranks, my impression is that there are basically three "tiers" - you had the three unsundered of Emet, Elidibus, and Lahabrea, who survived the sundering of zodiark whole and are largely a continuous existence. They are the ones who are effectively immortal, you've gotta lock em down and hit them with a Blade of Light to fully kill them, because they're a whole and powerful Ancient soul. the sundered ascians are the rest of the original Convocation of 14, who were shattered by Hydaelyn, but the big three were able to more or less put them back together, such as nabriales or drat daniel. They're almost as powerful, and can pull most of the same tricks, but they can't necessarily self-resurrect as easily due to being a shattered soul, which is why Ardbert and company were able to kill the poo poo out of two of them, and if fandaniel's shenanigans are any indication they seem to have more of a connection to their mortal identity and, as a result, potentially more mundane interests. The bottom tier don't even have names, just assigned titles, which leads me to believe that they're just shards of random ancients that Emet and co. came across and offered to power up. These guys are just total mooks, like the ascians you nuke the poo poo out of in the summoner quests, and are basically toast if you hit them with enough aether in one go (say: a deathflare), no fancy bullshit needed.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

That all tracks to me

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I like that G’raha in the Rising Stones is constantly staring at you and will turn his head wherever you go. He’s like a dog.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Re: the necromancer in Heroes gauntlet - I think we will meet her on another shard in 7.0 and her name will be Edda

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

To bring this back to ascian ranks, my impression is that there are basically three "tiers" - you had the three unsundered of Emet, Elidibus, and Lahabrea, who survived the sundering of zodiark whole and are largely a continuous existence. They are the ones who are effectively immortal, you've gotta lock em down and hit them with a Blade of Light to fully kill them, because they're a whole and powerful Ancient soul. the sundered ascians are the rest of the original Convocation of 14, who were shattered by Hydaelyn, but the big three were able to more or less put them back together, such as nabriales or drat daniel. They're almost as powerful, and can pull most of the same tricks, but they can't necessarily self-resurrect as easily due to being a shattered soul, which is why Ardbert and company were able to kill the poo poo out of two of them, and if fandaniel's shenanigans are any indication they seem to have more of a connection to their mortal identity and, as a result, potentially more mundane interests. The bottom tier don't even have names, just assigned titles, which leads me to believe that they're just shards of random ancients that Emet and co. came across and offered to power up. These guys are just total mooks, like the ascians you nuke the poo poo out of in the summoner quests, and are basically toast if you hit them with enough aether in one go (say: a deathflare), no fancy bullshit needed.

The blade of light from Hydaelyn wasn't actually enough to kill Lahabrea, but it apparently -was- enough for Ardbert and co to kill two of the sundered Ascians.

It's noticeable that both Igeyorhm and Nabriales required us to lock them up in white auracite to trap them for long enough to charge up an attack big enough to kill them, which also required outside sources of aether. Tupsimati and Moenbyrda's sacrifice for Nabriales, and Nidhogg's eye for Igeyorhm. Meanwhile the black masked Ascians are weak enough that they outright cannot possess any bodies that aren't already a corpse and we can kill them rather easily without white auracite at all being involved.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
^ yeah that

the second tier of ascians are harder to kill than that -- we still had to trap Nabriales and Igeyorhm in auracite and blast them with a ton of aether to kill them

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

we probably could've splattered nabriales and igeyorhm across the wall without those extra tools if hydaelyn wasn't in low power mode.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Vitamean posted:

we probably could've splattered nabriales and igeyorhm across the wall without those extra tools if hydaelyn wasn't in low power mode.

I'm almost certain we could now.

Having to hide in pits from The Berserker reeks of FFV Sandworm. I think that was on purpose.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I legitimately laughed out loud at the end when Alisaie straight up complained about not getting any character development.

Also I'm gonna bet that's hinting at the twins getting new adult character models in the next expansion.

If 6.0 involves giant awkward Alphinaud hitting his head on door frames it will be surpass all my expectations.

#makealphinaudtallevenforanelezen2021

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Its a little late but I have always considered the Rift in FFXIV to be equivalent to the void in other Final Fantasy titles, ie the space between dimensions which is usually used for crossovers between the games like Gilgamesh and Dissidia.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

A Sometimes Food posted:

If 6.0 involves giant awkward Alphinaud hitting his head on door frames it will be surpass all my expectations.

Also make Alisiae just very slightly taller

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

Pictured, the twins bickering in 6.0:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQLPL1qRhn8

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Zomborgon posted:

Also make Alisiae just very slightly taller

What, than she currently is?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Onmi posted:

What, than she currently is?

Than Alphinaud

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Drashin posted:

Its a little late but I have always considered the Rift in FFXIV to be equivalent to the void in other Final Fantasy titles, ie the space between dimensions which is usually used for crossovers between the games like Gilgamesh and Dissidia.

Gilgamesh can explicitly travel through the Rift in FFXIV, like in his other appearances, and it's stated to be what various other crossover characters have traversed to get to Eorzea, so it's likely meant to be the same thing.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I think they're in the same location, but just with the general "legion number vaguely resembles game number"

The XII legion was Zenos.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Melomane Mallet posted:

Stormblood did go in the same direction as XII in depicting life under an occupied force wjth a side helping of political intrigue. It's not laid on as thick as with the VIth legion, for example, but you can see XII's spirit in that Lrgion's content.

Also, the final boss of Stormblood and XII both are the young emperor/emperor-to-be taking the form of a big scary dragon through magical means that aren't a hundred percent clear at the time. So there's also that.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Melomane Mallet posted:

Well, he is the son of an emperor who works with a mad scientist and fuses with a "god" for the final fight.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I knew exactly what this video would be before I clicked it and it still made me chuckle.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think Equilibrium's fan transcription was the best. Completely wrong, and completely missed the theme of the song.

I remember this.

♪An empty heart the light shall seek...♫

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I won't be satisfied until I see it with a potato in the ghost costume.
Yeah, okay.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

:perfect:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm going to assume that the .4 and .5 dungeons are gonna both be on the Source because it's not like we can bring trusts into the First anymore.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm going to assume that the .4 and .5 dungeons are gonna both be on the Source because it's not like we can bring trusts into the First anymore.

Which begs a fascinating question: will Ryne be removed from the "canon" Trust lineup? Or are we going to pull out our Azem Signature Spell to call her over?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I honestly feel like either pulling the Scions to the First or Ryne to the Source so soon would severely cheapen the finale to the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Jetrauben posted:

Which begs a fascinating question: will Ryne be removed from the "canon" Trust lineup? Or are we going to pull out our Azem Signature Spell to call her over?
I assume she won't be part of any MSQ/scenario trust lineups but usable in the avatar trust lineups