Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof. Crocodile

Jaguars! posted:

Just finished a cup of tea and a mandarin, now trying to decide between reading airport trash and playing a video game

which video game and which airport trash? this decision is not as easy as it might seem at first blush...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile

Luvcow posted:

from the other thread my two lazy forklin shops:

forklin chilling with his buds

and then forklin returning home early from work to find his best friend banging his wife :(

:discourse:

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Luvcow posted:

season 1!? is amazing imho

season 2? .....

season 3? really good but did i say enough about season 1 yet?

Prof. Crocodile posted:

heck yes, count duckula just shot the crooked doctor through a peephole.

that doesn't sound incredible now, but when this movie came out american action films were pretty artless punch-fests

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Jaguars!

Prof. Crocodile posted:

which video game and which airport trash? this decision is not as easy as it might seem at first blush...

Have briefly postponed this decision as I have just dicovered Voyager by Daft Punk!!!!!!

magic cactus

I'm honestly a bit mad that true Detective didn't go with the whole "occult origins of the United States railway system" pitch for season 2

Prof. Crocodile

this movie really shows john woo's ability to orchestrate all the aspects of a film under constraints. Van damme's accent too prominent? Film it in new orleans and say he's creole. Hyper-violent premise too unbelievable? Set it during a police strike in the notoriously lawless state of Louisiana. Low budget? Make the most of picturesque public locations and use a combination of talented young actors and solid character actors.

e: story a little light, just make every other scene is slow motion to get to 90-minute runtime

Prof. Crocodile fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 15, 2020

Prof. Crocodile

you see a guy in black leather and a motorcycle helmet standing in front of a bunch of cardboard boxes and you just know that dude is getting kicked into them boxes

nut

this disturbs me

Prof. Crocodile

homegirl thought van damme was going to kiss her, but instead she got to see him punch a rattlesnake, which is like 1000 times better

magic cactus

I think the overuse of slow-motion is my favorite part of this movie.

Prof. Crocodile

rip wilfred brimley now god only has the second best facial hair in heaven

magic cactus

nut posted:

this disturbs me

*in the voice of that one guy from hellraiser*
Jesus wept

Prof. Crocodile

magic cactus posted:

I think the overuse of slow-motion is my favorite part of this movie.

i kind of agree

there is kind of an artistry to it. john woo uses slow motion like monet used light, like it's an integral part of the storytelling not just a cinematic flourish

Prof. Crocodile

"you are a loving buffalo" - Lance Henriksen, apropos to nothing

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

nut posted:

this disturbs me

lmao

the eyes are in the shell though?

Prof. Crocodile posted:

"you are a loving buffalo" - Lance Henriksen, apropos to nothing

:hai:

nut

Luvcow posted:

lmao

the eyes are in the shell though?

I know, it's a revolutionary remake of forklin but sometimes lines r made to be crossed :twisted:

magic cactus

Prof. Crocodile posted:

i kind of agree

there is kind of an artistry to it. john woo uses slow motion like monet used light, like it's an integral part of the storytelling not just a cinematic flourish

In his Hong Kong era stuff, for sure. Here I was more thinking that the overuse causes an unintentional comedic effect. Like that one scene where the female lead (forgot her name rn) stumbles and it plays the scene over from like three angles in slow-motion.

Although all this made me reach a conclusion I'm not entirely thrilled about : John woo is arthouse Michael Bay.

Prof. Crocodile

lance henriksen use a thompson contender in the movie, which I think is meant to be a tribute to a character from john woo's masterwork hard boiled who used a smilar target pistol.

A target pistol seemed kinda out of place in hard boiled with all the hihg-octane gunplay but it really fits the hunting motif of this film and the character of the villain

Prof. Crocodile

magic cactus posted:

In his Hong Kong era stuff, for sure. Here I was more thinking that the overuse causes an unintentional comedic effect. Like that one scene where the female lead (forgot her name rn) stumbles and it plays the scene over from like three angles in slow-motion.

Although all this made me reach a conclusion I'm not entirely thrilled about : John woo is arthouse Michael Bay.

i mean yeah this may be jcvd's best film but is like john woo's 10th best film

magic cactus

Yeah I noticed that too! He really likes that gun. Hard Boiled is great. I might livepost it next weekend, since your thread gave me the idea.

magic cactus

Prof. Crocodile posted:

i mean yeah this may be jcvd's best film but is like john woo's 10th best film

:same: but i've heard some good things about universal soldier: day of reckoning

Prof. Crocodile

also now realizing that i always picture van damme with a mullet even though i think this is the only movie in he had a mullet

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

nut posted:

I know, it's a revolutionary remake of forklin but sometimes lines r made to be crossed :twisted:

ok, i'm all in

also just a reminder that jcvd was background dancer in breakin' 2 before he was famous:

i mean he is just so drat happy :neckbeard:

Prof. Crocodile

magic cactus posted:

Yeah I noticed that too! He really likes that gun. Hard Boiled is great. I might livepost it next weekend, since your thread gave me the idea.

well use this thrad that is what it is here for

that and forbidden aheago 'shops

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

magic cactus posted:

Hard Boiled is great. I might livepost it next weekend, since your thread gave me the idea.

:pray:

nut

jean claude van damme, eh... hmmm

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
ok ok ... i'm just spitballing here but... i'm thinking a buddy cop movie with aged but classic french action star jcvd and current gbs darling forklin...

Prof. Crocodile

nut posted:

jean claude van damme, eh... hmmm

:ohdear:

Prof. Crocodile

Luvcow posted:

ok ok ... i'm just spitballing here but... i'm thinking a buddy cop movie with aged but classic french action star jcvd and current gbs darling forklin...

:hmmyes:

Prof. Crocodile

lance henriksen is the best grimacer in show business, and i will not hear otherwise

Prof. Crocodile

fukcen lol I forgot the grenade scene

one of the most underrated villain death in action cinema

e: and ending on a credence song is a nice touch

Jaguars!

Thank u for this insight into jcvd, who has not previously touched my life much

Muffin splits for lunch w/ butter, wholegrain mustard, trying to make it through to monday on my current supplies

Considering liveblogging interstella 5555 now, it's not like i've got better to do on a lockdown saturday afternoon

Prof. Crocodile

Jaguars! posted:

Thank u for this insight into jcvd, who has not previously touched my life much

Muffin splits for lunch w/ butter, wholegrain mustard, trying to make it through to monday on my current supplies

Considering liveblogging interstella 5555 now, it's not like i've got better to do on a lockdown saturday afternoon

what is interstalla 5555? might as well use this thrad for its intended purpose and :justpost:

Jaguars!

It's a cartoon set to a Daft Punk album that they chopped into bits to release as music videos. There's a playlist of them on youtube that was linked from the song that youtube linked to me earlier. That's all I know apart from one or two of the more famous songs.

Jaguars!

Alright, lets go, beer accompaniment is Monteiths Pilsner,

One more time is playing to nice visuals of planets , theres a concert going on, it reminds me of the obscure animes that used to be used as filler at the end of the sunday cartoons, before thunderbirds and then black and white doctor who came on.

Jaguars!

A little more bland then the other one i saw, I guess because this is the video for a single rather than a more obscure track,

Oh, theres a meteor that turned into a ship and now invaders, maybe this is going somewhere afterall

Jaguars!

Ooh interesting, the invaders hijacked the concert, their soundtrack is much funkier, nice groove that makes you feel cool

Jaguars!

The invaders have kidnapped the band that was playing, they obviously planned this well because they had a laser guided crossbow that got one guy who tried to get away.

Much more upbeat house musc in "Digital love", it took me a moment to figure out the guy was the hero and not the invaders, it's hard to keep up when live updating.

Lol a spaceship morphing into a 747 is funny to my for unfathomable nerd resons, it's so mundane somehow

Jaguars!

Harder Better Faster,

Someone's transforming the kidnappees into normal humans (They were blue before)
I'm enjoying the eggs that are fired at them to colour their skin.
This moves very fast when viewed as a movie

Crescendolls

Extremely 80's electropop start, general 80's theme as the kidnapees are transformed into a pop band, I think the music producers are the bad guys but I keep missing important plot points

dammit I just missed all their names on screen while typing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
:f5: