Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What's the best route for getting into Linux? Im considering Linux+ -> RHCSA. Is this a wise path? It seems like going right for RHCSA might be too much right off the bat if I don't have fundamentals first? I downloaded and installed Ubuntu, but elsewhere I've been advised to jump in with CentOS since it's partnered with RH. Does this seem logical? Also any specific courses you recommend for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Passed my GCP professional cloud architect exam! Took about 30 minutes and the remote proctor was simultaneously a bit of a pain while also weirdly charming. Buddy asked me to turn my classical music down though :(

On a that note Zotix, the cloud is how I got into Linux. Looooots of Linux servers for webapps. Honestly the distro doesn’t particularly matter to me for that reason, except if you’re using selinux I guess. I’m mostly used to CentOS these days for that reason, but I don’t think I’d use it for a desktop environment.

don’t be too wedded to one distro vs another, use whatever fits your given usecase best. They’re not completely interchangeable, but outside of apt-get vs yum and selinux, does anyone really care*?

*excluding alpine for containers and other specific use cases. Genuine question though, they’re all just a shell to me :p

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I literally have no idea what any of that means. I literally haven't even booted a distro up yet. Are there any udemy courses you might recommend or YouTubers for starting with Linux?

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Passed Cisco DevNet associate. Very cool exam and material for anyone looking to get into network automation/programmability. Test seemed to have less of the Cisco gotcha questions found on ccna/ccnp. Shoutout to the nice online proctor that requested that I unplug my printer that was half way across my home office.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Zotix posted:

I literally have no idea what any of that means. I literally haven't even booted a distro up yet. Are there any udemy courses you might recommend or YouTubers for starting with Linux?

If you are new to Linux check out https://www.udemy.com/course/linux-essentials-010/ which is a pretty good intro. He uses the GUI as a way to explain what's happening but also has exercises in the command prompt

A friend of mine likes Network Chuck on youtube and they aren't bad. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIhvC56v63IL2OjFvv_PI0B2yAXGfJLMI

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Zotix posted:

What's the best route for getting into Linux? Im considering Linux+ -> RHCSA. Is this a wise path? It seems like going right for RHCSA might be too much right off the bat if I don't have fundamentals first? I downloaded and installed Ubuntu, but elsewhere I've been advised to jump in with CentOS since it's partnered with RH. Does this seem logical? Also any specific courses you recommend for this?

RHCSA is the fundamentals, and it's a hands-on exam so you'll learn and retain more than you would with Linux+. Even if you don't register for the exams, following the curriculum is still a really good way to learn the basics. Use CentOS virtual machines for the Red Hat exams.

I passed the RHCSA using the Jang book, and the Sander Van Vugt videos. I considered them well worth the money.

Use this video to set up your "server" that will present storage to your practice VMs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3MX307ZD5E

Send me a PM if you have any questions (even stupid basic ones) or want to talk about it. I got 300/300 on my RHCSA, failed and then passed my RHCE last year, and I'm studying for PE180 now.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Seconding doing the RHCSA course to get a good fundamental understanding of how things work. As The Iron Rose said the distros don't matter much, but RH is still a major player in the enterprise market so that never hurts. Once you know one distro well enough, it's pretty simple to adjust to other ones when needed.

If you want to break into the field, take the exam as well.

And congrats to The Iron Rose on your GCP Pro cloud architect certification!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I realise its fairly new, but are there any reports coming out about the DA-100 cert from MS?

Going through the free course now and its mostly stuff I know, so im thinking of knocking it off quickly. I think this is a follow on from another MS cert, so I assume its going to be reasonably well regarded.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
So I've bought Red Hat PE180: Preliminary Exam in Containers, Kubernetes, & Openshift. I got a 50% off coupon, making it an $80 attempt.

I'm studying Kubernetes and OpenShift on Udemy, doing a program aimed at the Certified Kubernetes Administrator cert. The topics seem like there is a lot of crossover, but I'm basically starting from zero and I have no idea if the Red Hat exam is comparable, or drastically easier/harder. Does anybody have any experience with this? Long shot, I know.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I just went through reviewing the new Security+ objectives for some courseware development, and I just have to gripe somewhere. It's not that the already huge list of objectives and sub-objectives from SY0-501 has gotten still longer, but that topics like warchalking and bluesnarfing and so on are still right in there.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Yeah, CompTIA really needs to clean up some archaic material on their exams.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Zodijackylite posted:

Yeah, CompTIA really needs to clean up some archaic material on their exams.

Why? Why would they ever? Why would they stop testing things like fiber optic wavelengths and DVI variations for the A+? The artificial barriers to passing only help them get those retake dollars and build the "legitimacy" of it.

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
Anyone have any ideas for fancy (but still good) trainings to take? My work has finally figured out that we aren't coming back into the office anytime soon (America lol) and that we should use up our budget for professional development.

I can ask for any amount of money for any class that is 7 business days or less - or get some subscriptions, or purchase a pay as you go course.

I have Sec+, GSEC and GPEN. Are there great AWS trainings that go above and beyond the udemy classes? Like guided workbooks, lifetime access to updated materials, etc.? I am in security and compliance, but see AWS as a way to get picked for an internal pivot or something new.

Looking at eLearnSecurity, any one have experience with that? Also interested in experiences with CCNA/CCNP courses that come with remote lab access.

fivehead fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 11, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does it have to be related to your job? Go and learn how to plaster walls.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Thanks Ants posted:

Go and learn how to plaster walls.

:yeah:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

fivehead posted:

Anyone have any ideas for fancy (but still good) trainings to take? My work has finally figured out that we aren't coming back into the office anytime soon (America lol) and that we should use up our budget for professional development.

I can ask for any amount of money for any class that is 7 business days or less - or get some subscriptions, or purchase a pay as you go course.

I have Sec+, GSEC and GPEN. Are there great AWS trainings that go above and beyond the udemy classes? Like guided workbooks, lifetime access to updated materials, etc.? I am in security and compliance, but see AWS as a way to get picked for an internal pivot or something new.

Looking at eLearnSecurity, any one have experience with that? Also interested in experiences with CCNA/CCNP courses that come with remote lab access.

7 days and unlimited budget just screams for (another) SANS course.

For AWS I've not come across highly recommended in person training that's worth the money over a udemy/a cloud guru course.

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now

Thanks Ants posted:

Does it have to be related to your job? Go and learn how to plaster walls.

unironically this will better serve me in the coming corona hard times mad max world

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

After a layoff, I decided to pursue my CCNA in earnest, along with Network+ since there is overlap.

I said that I know next to nothing about Linux administration and why not pursue Linux+ ( much in the same way someone earlier in the thread did. )

What I found jumping in is things like: this is a kernel, this is a GRUB, etc.

My question is: Should I just focus on CCNA first, and jump into the networking career path? or try and cover both, and see if I like doing linux administration.

Sneaky Wombat fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 12, 2020

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sneaky Wombat posted:

After a layoff, I decided to pursue my CCNA in earnest, along with Network+ since there is overlap.

I said that I know next to nothing about Linux administration and why not pursue Linux+ ( much in the same way someone earlier in the thread did. )

My question is: Should I just focus on CCNA first, and jump into the networking career path? or try and cover both, and see if I like doing linux administration.

At the end of the day you need to enjoy the work you do. If that’s networking, go for CCNA. If that’s Linux go for that. Or do all sorts of different things and call yourself DevOps/SRE/Cloud something.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
SRE? Seen the term.but not familiar with it.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

ilkhan posted:

SRE? Seen the term.but not familiar with it.

Site Reliability Engineers. Basically software engineers with a heavy Infra/Ops minded role who are tasked with automating away (potential) incidents and making environments scalable and hogly reliable.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sneaky Wombat posted:

Linux+ is a lovely awful nightmare of memorizing command line switches and other stupid arcana. Easily the worst of all the CompTIA tests I've ever seen. Highly recommend doing ANY other Linux cert.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Linux+ is a lovely awful nightmare of memorizing command line switches and other stupid arcana. Easily the worst of all the CompTIA tests I've ever seen. Highly recommend doing ANY other Linux cert.

Well, that answers that. I can ditch my linux plus course work and just start with redhat.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sneaky Wombat posted:

just start with redhat.

This is probably the best course of action.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

hogly reliable.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Passed Net+ today with over 800. Was pretty surprised as I thought I was failing. Onward to sec+ and then the wonderful world of Linux.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Zotix posted:

Passed Net+ today with over 800. Was pretty surprised as I thought I was failing. Onward to sec+ and then the wonderful world of Linux.

Congratulations! Good luck on sec+, keep us posted.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Zotix posted:

I am studying for that one, any hot tips you wanna pass along?
(i'm not asking for a brain dump)

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Professor messers course is great. I paid 20 bucks for his notes. Jason Dion's udemy course is good as well, but leaves out a little bit. Dion's course comes with notes. I used both of their notes to study the best I could. Dion also has a package of 6 exams on udemy that we well worth picking up. I took it after scoring between 85-95 on his exams. I was hitting low 70s to start with.

For the exam itself, flag the PBQs and do them at the end. The multiple choice I thought I was failing, and I know I butchered one PBQ for sure. That being said I had like 50 minutes left when I got done with the multiple choice and started the PBQs. The one I butchered I know I spent like 15 minutes on, but I finished all PBQs with 20 minutes left. I thought I was going to fail and definitely considered hitting finish, but I used the next 20 minutes to go back through the multiple choice. I only ended up changing like 2 answers, and who knows if they were right or wrong, but I'm very glad I took the time to go back through it all. Sometimes when I was halfway through the multiple choice of read a question and wonder what it's asking exactly, but once you've gone through everything once and have time left it allowed a bit more claried when I re-read the question and was able to really see what they were asking and make sure my answer the first time made sense. It definitely made me feel better by the end.

Oh and don't over study submitting. It's on the exam, but not as much as one might think. Troubleshooting is far, far more important. You could fail of you don't know subnetting, but the way some hype up subnetting you'd think a quarter of the exam would be subnetting and it's not. If you buy Dion's practice exams, really read the question and think about what's being asked. What layer is the issue at. Is it internal or external. His exams are pretty close in wording to the real thing, and there's always some context in there that helps narrow down to the BEST answer.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 14, 2020

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

I recently paid for CBT nuggets, does anyone have experience using them as a study method? Seems like a lot of folks recommend Udemy and the like.
As I understand it, Book + a decent course seems to be the way to go.

I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question, I always had instructor lead training.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey, I'm making a sudden career change into IT and planning on going back to school. I've got a little spare cash and half a year to burn. What are the most useful online courses/education to take, assuming I'm starting from scratch?

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Depending on your self drive and the amount of cash WGU might be a good option.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey, I'm making a sudden career change into IT and planning on going back to school. I've got a little spare cash and half a year to burn. What are the most useful online courses/education to take, assuming I'm starting from scratch?

Do you only care about money as a driving factor? TBH as someone that's only a year in, you really should try to find out what parts of IT interest you. Networking is radically different than programming. The same could be said about other facets of IT. The CompTIA certs aren't the highest earning, but they sample a bit of different technologies, to hopefully help you figure out the direction you want to go. The last thing you want to do is get halfway or 75% done with studying for your CCNA and finding out, you just don't enjoying routers and switches.

Network chuck advises against education, but he's only one person. He thinks you can do well in IT without a degree and just experience and such. I agree, but I also think it's going to be a lot harder than someone with a degree. If you only have half a year and you want to come out on the other side with something that's marketable, probably something like the CCNA would open up doors. So could a red hat linux cert. Security isn't something I'd probably look at with zero experience, no degree, etc. You could probably learn a lot in the way of programming, and that might be your best bet. Learn as much as you can, come up with several projects, make a portfolio, and pray you come out on the other side of CovID in a good spot.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 14, 2020

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

To clarify, I have a decent chance of getting into college in my country, starting next yearJanuary. The one I'm looking at has a business, economy & IT degree (which I think plays well with my previous experience) as well as a straight IT degree. So I have half a year in which to build some foundational knowledge and maybe find out what I'm interested in, like you said.

I certainly have the drive (just finished a 4 week remedial math course because I failed math in high school... 17 years ago), but I have a bad habit of going off on wild tangents if my learning isn't structured in some way.

In any case, you've already given me some possibilities to check out, thanks!

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

The Iron Rose posted:

Passed my GCP professional cloud architect exam! Took about 30 minutes and the remote proctor was simultaneously a bit of a pain while also weirdly charming. Buddy asked me to turn my classical music down though :(

On a that note Zotix, the cloud is how I got into Linux. Looooots of Linux servers for webapps. Honestly the distro doesn’t particularly matter to me for that reason, except if you’re using selinux I guess. I’m mostly used to CentOS these days for that reason, but I don’t think I’d use it for a desktop environment.

don’t be too wedded to one distro vs another, use whatever fits your given usecase best. They’re not completely interchangeable, but outside of apt-get vs yum and selinux, does anyone really care*?

*excluding alpine for containers and other specific use cases. Genuine question though, they’re all just a shell to me :p

Congratulations on the pass! I’m looking at the networking cert to tackle next myself.

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

Figured I'd post here since I had a brief chat about ten pages back in this thread about pursuing another degree in an IT related field. I was looking at SNHU and WGU and recommendations here went heavy towards WGU, and the admissions process went well so I"m in the last stretch of my first term of a Cloud and Systems Administration degree.

'Rona kind of screwed up my schedule in a huge way(start date at WGU was April 1st) so I've moved a lot slower than expected, but since July 1st I've managed to take and pass Axelos ITIL v4, CompTIA's A+ Core 1 and 2 and CompTIA's Network+. I'm pretty happy with that because it's a grand or more in certifications included in the tuition that's being reimbursed by my employer. I was going to pull the class that includes Security+ forward but decided to wait, as I intend to finish the degree anyways and if I do it 6-12 months from now my overall renewal period for CompTIA is extended.

CompTIA's tests are kind of a lovely experience. I'm a way above average test taker but on all three of the tests I've taken I was sure I failed about 20 questions in, trudged on and after doing their little feedback survey at the end found that I passed. The PBQs were not that bad in my opinion. So many of the questions are small paragraphs with multiple right answers and you have to select the best of the bunch in CompTIA's opinion, but thus far they have been passable. The core of my study was the material on uCertify that WGU provides but I'm convinced that Jason Dion's practice tests are the reason I passed. His question wording is incredibly similar to the way CompTIA formats their questions and will help you acclimate to what the actual test is like. Completely worth the $11.99 per test set on Udemy.

So that's that. I'm still employed with a telecom construction company so I'm not actively looking for jobs, but A+ and Network+ in <5 months has left me feeling okay with WGU. I'll be done in three terms most likely at $3700/term, but with my company's reimbursement I'll probably pay about $1700 total out of pocket for a bachelor of science.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I don't think CompTIA's grading is a straight right or wrong answer for each question tbh. It just doesn't make sense that that is how they do it when you break down the scores and the evaluation at the end. So many people I speak to get the same feeling that they are failing, and they pass or do really well. I strongly suspect they weight the answers to the multiple choice at least. Like there's obviously 2 wrong answers to a question for example, but there are two answers that could be right, and one of those two is the best. I think if you pick the best you get full points, the second best you get some credit, and if you pick the two wrong ones, well then, no credit. I also think you can get partial credit for multiple answers. i.e. pick two answers, but you only get 1. I think you're getting some credit for that. When I took network+ the other day, I honestly don't think I got 90% of the answers right, I really don't, but my score says that I did. There's some shifty stuff that seems to be going on behind the scenes that none of us know unless we work at CompTIA lol. That being said, it is 100% a possibility to fail their exams, especially if you really don't know the information. /r/comptia has people that routinely post that they've failed.

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

Zotix posted:

I don't think CompTIA's grading is a straight right or wrong answer for each question tbh.

I agree completely. On almost every question I was immediately able to knock two multiple-choice answers off as wrong but was basically guessing between the other two in many cases because they both could've been right. That also would explain the funky 900-point scale they use for grading. My scores on all three tests were 750ish but frankly a pass is a pass.

I browse r/wgu and r/comptia pretty often and the number of "I've failed for the third time" posts are really kind of shocking. WGU grants two free attempts and I was worried about passing the first time-- I can't imagine sinking $1000+ in test fees and study materials and still not having a certification. Angle one on it is that the CompTIA tests kind of condition you to troubleshoot and think critically in addition to knowing the subject matter. Angle two is that their tests are intentionally dishonest to maintain failure rates that help to sustain their position as a major IT certificate issuer. Either way that's why I would recommend the Dion practice tests to anyone looking to take the tests. He does a really good job replicating their style of question.

Congrats on your Network+. I thought subnetting would be my downfall but I guess I figured it out enough to join the club.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I bought my Net+ voucher through Dion, I also purchased the re-take just in-case. I think the voucher and the retake was like $30-40 more than if I bought the exam directly through Comptia, and at least I have that option for a second take if needed. At least $350 for the test if bought through CompTIA directly, I uhhhh would be pissed the gently caress off if I failed 3x. Like holy poo poo.

There was a guy in the compTIA discord last night asking about failing Dion's tests and when he should take the real deal. Everyone was like "dude, you are getting 50's on Dion's tests, you need to study." Like stop taking any more tests at this point, and go back over the material because you're missing HUGE chunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

Zotix posted:

50's on Dion's tests

Yeah Dion isn't exactly dishonest and recommends consistent 85%+ scores to be considered ready. He even has an Easter egg or two built into his practice tests to call out memorizing his tests instead of actually learning the poo poo.

Can you send me an invite to the Discord? I won't be doing Sec+ for awhile but I'm not too far off from it.

Edit: Found an official CompTIA Discord that seems quiet but if this was it I'm good.

ClumsyThief fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 16, 2020