Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

If you think you're coming down with Bischoff you should really self-isolate for 14 days.

Bischoff is a frequently recurring disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

flashy_mcflash posted:

If you think you're coming down with Bischoff you should really self-isolate for 83 Weeks.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jericho's new catchphrase:

Covid Creates Ca$h

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Codependent Poster posted:

Jericho's new catchphrase:

Covid Creates Ca$h

https://twitter.com/iamjericho/status/1294094097398071297?s=21

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

i mean, i'm glad, but he doesn't have to be a dick about it...

or does he... :thunk:

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

The amount of poo poo seemingly everyone in aew gets on twitter, I don't blame them.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/JackEvans711/status/1294480292468723712

Just picture the conversation of Jack Evans convincing Shida to eat baked beans.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I feel like if you can eat natto you can handle baked beans.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Pylons posted:

I feel like if you can eat natto you can handle baked beans.

how the gently caress did you beat me to this

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Shida eat the beans

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
my friend who used to wrestle said jack evans smelled like a fart someone left out in the sun so this makes sense

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I've been reminiscing about where the women's division was in February, with Nyla and Riho fully established as the stars of the division and Kris, Britt, Bea, Shida, Yuka and Swole all being developed as prominent characters and it's wild how much of that was lost entirely due to COVID making it so the overseas talent couldn't come over and Swole had to protect herself at home for basically the whole Georgia set of shows due to being immunocompromised. I keep wondering where the division would be now if that plus Kris and Britt getting injured in such quick succession hadn't come down on them.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I Before E posted:

I've been reminiscing about where the women's division was in February, with Nyla and Riho fully established as the stars of the division and Kris, Britt, Bea, Shida, Yuka and Swole all being developed as prominent characters and it's wild how much of that was lost entirely due to COVID making it so the overseas talent couldn't come over and Swole had to protect herself at home for basically the whole Georgia set of shows due to being immunocompromised. I keep wondering where the division would be now if that plus Kris and Britt getting injured in such quick succession hadn't come down on them.

Even losing most of the international talent the division was still in a decent spot. Unfocused and lacking stories, but getting decent time in the ring.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Pylons posted:

Even losing most of the international talent the division was still in a decent spot. Unfocused and lacking stories, but getting decent time in the ring.

I'd say it was nothing but focus and story in the Georgia shows, all they had was Britt and Shida and they put together a program on the fly that got both people over.

Where it fell apart was when they went to Daily's Place, Britt got injured, Statlander got injured right before Double Or Nothing, and they knew they wanted to put the title on Shida but had no idea who they would have available to challenge her. They went with Penelope Ford and seem to have completely cooled on her as a title level worker. So now they've got Shida and Nyla as the only top level women who aren't already in a program, Britt and Swole in a program that has no real way of ending until Britt is healthy, they're dancing around putting Shida and Nyla together even though it's their only title level matchup with this depleted roster, and they're not going to risk running big matches with promising prospects like Abadon or Anna Jay in these circumstances. Any plans they could have possibly had for Shida (assuming the choice to have Shida win at Double Or Nothing was already penciled in) would have depended on the talent they had been developing for months that is just gone.

Every way I look at this, I don't see anything else they could have done better outside of somehow being able to see the future, use that foreknowledge to make a bunch of American hires in December, and convince Mercedes Martinez not to sign with WWE.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

This jobber eating beans

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I hope Tony has decided to hire some of the talent from the tournament. Even when Britt comes back they're going to have a real shortage of faces - Rachel and Nicole could help fill out those roles.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Every time somebody posts about hiring Rachel, my brain automatically filters it to "Rache" and I wonder what the hell is wrong with you

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ARMBAR A COP posted:

This jobber eating beans

Lmao

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

It feels like they've got development on lock, they have some people who are going to be amazing in a year. They have some great people who hopefully will be back in action or able to travel to the USA in the the next 3-6 months. What they're lacking (and I think the tag tournament was a way of getting us there) is the medium term. Who Shida will be facing at the next two PPVs, who Nyla will be feuding with, that kind of thing.

Coming out of the tournament, I could easily see them giving more work to:

Diamante
Ivelisse
Rachel Ellering
Nicole Savoy
Tay Conti

That's enough to give some feuds and some options for a while.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Opening up Britt/Swole for other feuds after All Out will help too. In retrospect, it seems objectively kind of silly that they ended up tying up the only two noteworthy wrestlers who haven't had a recent title shot in a feud with each other, leaving the champion with nothing, but Britt-Swole has been so good that I cannot complain

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I, Jack Evans, the greatest of all time, el guero del cielo, the prince of perspicacity, and the last true hybrid; spilled baked beans all over myself watching a Wardlow squash match in the stands & Private Party shouted "This jobber eatin beans" and everyone laughed

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Jack Evans is just Jack Evans Girl fusion danced to be screaming inside the ring rather than outside.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I was glad to see KiLynn King still in the stands this week after hearing that some of the beloved local talent was cut. She's also someone who could make a real contribution to the women's division based on her ring work.
I also got back into wrestling after happening across Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks on ITV late at night. It's not a fantastic slot and I've never seen it advertised, but it doesn't seem edited beyond muting commentary occasionally when they're talking about what's coming up on TNT (I assume that's what's happening) and occasionally cutting in an ad break.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

I'm pretty sure the local talent doesn't so much get cut as they just don't get a phone call telling them to come in. Like we havent seen that Faboo guy for ages either. That being said they really should be hiring KiLynn. If they're letting contracts expire then they might lose Shanna soon as well. How bad does the women's division have to get before Coward Tony reaches into his pockets to hire someone decent who can actually be on the show every week.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I was glad to see KiLynn King still in the stands this week after hearing that some of the beloved local talent was cut. She's also someone who could make a real contribution to the women's division based on her ring work.
I also got back into wrestling after happening across Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks on ITV late at night. It's not a fantastic slot and I've never seen it advertised, but it doesn't seem edited beyond muting commentary occasionally when they're talking about what's coming up on TNT (I assume that's what's happening) and occasionally cutting in an ad break.

There was a Wrestling Observer story a few weeks back that AEW was doing multiples better than WWE in the UK, even factoring in DVR+7. It was somewhere in the range of 8-12K for the WWE shows, 100K+ for AEW if I remember right. Smackdown was getting less than a wrestling podcast.

Based on that, UK doesn't seem like a bad market at all for them.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Jeff Cobb did an interview with Fightful and he was asked about why he hasn’t been back in AEW since February, was very cagey about it but ultimately landed on saying “traveling to Florida really isn’t on my to do list right now.”

I’m hoping this is just covid related and not due to any negative experiences with AEW.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

He's focused on New Japan USA and AEW don't need to use him right now.
He's just giving a polite answer.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

Anyone know when Jericho recorded his podcast with Conrad that dropped today? He's congested as gently caress :tinfoil:

It was recorded last year after the same topic was discussed on his podcast with Bruce Prichard.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

TV Zombie posted:

I’m hoping this is just covid related and not due to any negative experiences with AEW.

Yes, that was the implication he was making about the Florida part, but it’s still pretty clear NJPW is his priority.

Crapple! posted:

If they're letting contracts expire then they might lose Shanna soon as well.

Shanna’s on a multiple year deal, so if they let her go, it’ll be a release.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/BeaPriestley/status/1294346428009943040

https://twitter.com/BeaPriestley/status/1294346429645959168

Wouldn't be surprised if Bea's back in AEW at some point once COVID's lifted

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Yeah, with Bea and with Sadie both it seems less like "you're fired" and more like "hey, we can't keep paying you while we can't use you". Which frees both of them up to follow other opportunities without actually burning bridges.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

What's the kayfabe reason for AA palling around with FTR and doing their contract signing and stuff?

I get why he's there outside of kayfabe because of all the horsemen stuff that they're obviously teasing, but why would he have any involvement with them at all at the moment with his Cody gig ongoing?

Maybe I'm just thick and have missed something.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

managers used to be the person in charge of the wrestler rather than the other way around so i just see it as him doing what he wants to do for the good of his services in some generic way. idk

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Chris Jericho these days looks more like Val Kilmer in Macgruber than Chris Jericho in Macgruber

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CaptainApathyUK posted:

What's the kayfabe reason for AA palling around with FTR and doing their contract signing and stuff?

I get why he's there outside of kayfabe because of all the horsemen stuff that they're obviously teasing, but why would he have any involvement with them at all at the moment with his Cody gig ongoing?

Maybe I'm just thick and have missed something.

They brought him in as a tag consultant, which I assume means they paid a fee for his services.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Is Arn's name Arnold? Arnold Anderson?

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

NienNunb posted:

Is Arn's name Arnold? Arnold Anderson?

Bigger question is what the hell name was Ole meant to be derived from?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Olever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Bigger question is what the hell name was Ole meant to be derived from?

Ole is a Danish and Norwegian masculine given name, derived from the Old Norse name Óláfr, meaning "ancestor's descendant".