Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Ibexaz posted:

Unneeded nth but Paddington 2 absolutely rules and has a strong claim for best childrens movie ever made imo.

The first one is great as well, but 2 has a heart too big to ignore

paddington 2 is arguably one of the best movies ever. its 100% complete. a remarkable achievement imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Ammanas posted:

paddington 2 is arguably one of the best movies ever. its 100% complete. a remarkable achievement imo

Do you need to watch the first one to get fulfillment out of the second?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

From memory no, but the first is certainly a very enjoyable movie so there’s no reason not to.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Paddington 2 is also remarkable as they do the whole "Remember all the good bits from the first one? Well let's do them again!" bit that bad sequels do, but they just work some reason. Might just has something to do with the whole Episodic Children's Book feel that the two films capture perfectly.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Paddington 1 was good, but Paddington 2 was incredible. I think that's partly to do with the villains. Nicole Kidman was just ok in the first one, but Hugh Grant is transcendent.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

The first movie is also very good, so I would definitely recommend it. You can enjoy Paddington 2 just fine without it, but it does a good job establishing the characters and is a lot of fun in its own right. I especially liked how Paddington (who is, figuratively and literally, an immigrant in a new land) meets and gets to know the Brown family.

As professor metis mentioned, I think Paddington 1 suffers a little bit from its villain. To me, her motivations are just a touch too dark for a film otherwise filled with such bonhomie.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

theblackw0lf posted:

I saw the sequel in the cinema without seeing the first movie. It was fine.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAmcupYhwKA

this was filmed in early 2017, originally scheduled for a theatrical release in April 2018, and is only getting a trailer and date four days before its Disney+ debut

so, probably great

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The dudes from Workaholics are one of the more egregious cases of "really only funny in this one thing and never manage to break out despite multiple attempts" that I've ever seen.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Adam Devine is funny in Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Someone hasn’t been watching The Righteous Gemstones.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, Adam loving rules and is hilarious in everything.

The rest... not so much but that is why he has a steady career.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIzazUv2gtI

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

gently caress that looks real good

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hot drat I'm in

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I really didn’t like his previous movie, Christine, so I’m a bit cautious but hopefully it’ll turn out as good as it looks

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
That book was a real time for me, I’m way looking forward to the movie

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This is an incredible cast.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wow.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

HE POURED A BUCKET OF SPIDERS ALL OVER HIS loving FACE.

SOLD.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vintersorg posted:

Honestly, I feel like a lot of the problem is that all three people were kind of just playing mildly exaggerated versions of themselves on Workaholics to begin with. This was good for Adam, because he's... an interesting human being, but Anders and Blake are just kind of normal dudes, and even exaggerated for the show, ended up being relatively bland straight-men to Adam.

When you get the trio back together in full, like that Game Over Man movie did, it works fine because they do have genuine chemistry together and bounce off each other really well. But... Adam's kind of the only one who works on his own.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Blake Anderson is obviously the best of the three because he helped write and produce Tigtone which is the funniest goddamn show ever.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh, agreed, Blake is a legit great writer and I'm glad he's found a niche there... but he doesn't have much screen presence except as a normal straight man to someone batshit insane.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Not quite sure what's going on here but I love the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2NQjAHZyc0

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Well that wasn't very nice at all, was it.

Huge There Will Be Blood vibes.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flashy_mcflash posted:

Sort of Roy Andersson vibes going on with that.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I clicked a random YouTube preview thumbnail and it paid off with a trailer for 1965's Sting of Death, a giant killer Jellyfish movie co-written by Hershel Gordon Lewis, songs by Neil Sedaka:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sybki3bP7KI

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

I clicked a random YouTube preview thumbnail and it paid off with a trailer for 1965's Sting of Death, a giant killer Jellyfish movie co-written by Hershel Gordon Lewis, songs by Neil Sedaka:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sybki3bP7KI

gently caress yeah, this is my jam. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! Does anyone know how Fantasia works this year? On Sting of Death's page I clicked On Demand and got redirected to the schedule, then clicked Buy Ticket and got taken to an error page. When I try to look for information on how it works on their site I get the 2019 information. Is this the sort of thing where I need a pass or can I just watch one flick?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

flashy_mcflash posted:

Burn Gorman :allears:

But yeah, no idea.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

flashy_mcflash posted:

Got some Brazil weirdness going on, which is good.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I liked Christine but i dont really remember it as much other than an exceedingly depressing movie

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Someone's been misbehavin'

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Vintersorg posted:

I hate to be a contrarian but he's the worst actor in that show. He goes straight for the cartoonish southern accent that Hollywood assumes conservatives/Christians all have, but his character is supposed to be a hip, modern youth pastor. These guys go to pains to try to fit in to popular culture, and even if they have an accent, they would do everything they can to hide it. There's a lot of comedy potential being missed with Kelvin, he could be trying too hard but failing to be a "cool dude but Christian", and instead he's just kind of a dumb hick who's neverthless dressed up like one of those guys.

Ramrod Hotshot fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 16, 2020

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I’m with you. He seems super tryhard to me in everything I’ve seen him in and my interest usually goes down when he pops up in something I’m watching

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I agree that he’s probably the worst actor on The Righteous Gemstones, but I think he is extremely believable as a youth pastor.

edit: Dark Kelvin was pretty funny too.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 17, 2020

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Adam Devine is from Iowa and grew up in Nebraska so that isn't "hollywood" imagining an accent.

Even if I do encounter some pretty stupid assumptions from people whew grew up in LA

kiimo fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 17, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Iowa has the "General American" accent which is considered to be the neutral broadcaster accent. It doesn't have a twang unless you're deep in the sticks.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e: wrong thread

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 17, 2020

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

the_american_dream posted:

I’m with you. He seems super tryhard to me in everything I’ve seen him in and my interest usually goes down when he pops up in something I’m watching

He gave an interview for righteous gemstones where he mentioned he wants a Robin Williams type career where he does dark dramas and comedy and good lord he just does not have the skills. The rest of the cast for righteous gemstones is absolutely amazing though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well no poo poo compared to John Goodman, Walter Goggins, Danny McBride and Edi Patterson he’s not as good. :lol: