Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Phlegmish posted:

While Stalin, obviously, is responsible for much more death and suffering than Lowtax, who knows what sort of atrocities the latter would have committed if he hadn't spent 95% of the past fifteen years passed out on his couch

Do we know this for sure tho? Lowtax who knows what else the mods have been covering for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How did that goon know Bush would start a loving war? :tinfoil:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Phlegmish posted:

While Stalin, obviously, is responsible for much more death and suffering than Lowtax
Do we know this for sure tho?

Welp, guess we know the subject of the next FOIA request.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How did that goon know Bush would start a loving war? :tinfoil:

Osama was posting with us, all along

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

Osama was posting with us, all along

It was actually John Bolton's alt account and it wasn't a warning, it was his deepest wish.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RFC2324 posted:

Do we know this for sure tho? Lowtax who knows what else the mods have been covering for?
Well, I mean, sucks for us that we enabled 4chan to be a thing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

If you had the one-time opportunity to travel back in time to a specific day, would it be morally defensible to kill baby 4chan?

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

If you had the one-time opportunity to travel back in time to a specific day, would it be morally defensible to kill baby 4chan?

Absofuckinglutely

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
A targeted assassination in moot court

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Captain Hygiene posted:

back when moot said he was facing tens of thousands in hosting charges on his mother's credit card, i told him in the #somethingawful (or maybe a different one) irc channel he should just cut his losses and shut it down. i'm so very sorry i lacked any power of persuasion.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Are people just blissfully unaware that 4chan didn’t invent image boards, and every single one that pops up is worse than the last? Stopping 4chan wouldn’t do poo poo.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

food court bailiff posted:

Are people just blissfully unaware that 4chan didn’t invent image boards, and every one that pops up is worse than the last? Stopping 4chan wouldn’t do poo poo.

Yes but on the other hand engaging in mindless tribalism while ignoring the actual underlying causes of division has worked pretty well for humanity up until this point so I'm sure as hell not going to stop now.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Are people just blissfully unaware that 4chan didn’t invent image boards, and every single one that pops up is worse than the last? Stopping 4chan wouldn’t do poo poo.

I don’t think 2chan had anything to do with the alt right, did it? And didn’t the rest of the terrible western based chans come out of 4chan?

I guess you’re right though, it would be better to go back and kill the baby version of that Japanese 2ch guy

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Captain Hygiene posted:

Not at all. 4chan may have grown into a fine community from its infancy. However if you find yourself in 2006, free fire.

EDIT: Also please tell Fergie her words inspired a generation

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The issue is that Moot's internet libertarian brain worms allowed the worst aspects of online culture to fester and rot.

So yeah, maybe in timeline 722 it's a weeb that gets home from their JET experiences and creates A-Chan, but maybe they're like "hey you fucks stop posting images of hitler and gas ovens and using a bunch of slurs" and more watchful moderation keeps those elements from gaining a foothold.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

FilthyImp posted:

The issue is that Moot's internet libertarian brain worms allowed the worst aspects of online culture to fester and rot.

So yeah, maybe in timeline 722 it's a weeb that gets home from their JET experiences and creates A-Chan, but maybe they're like "hey you fucks stop posting images of hitler and gas ovens and using a bunch of slurs" and more watchful moderation keeps those elements from gaining a foothold.

lol moot got run out of 4chan for realizing it needed to be moderated, didn't he?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

RFC2324 posted:

lol moot got run out of 4chan for realizing it needed to be moderated, didn't he?

I believe the term is powercucked.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

FilthyImp posted:

Not the 4chan historian I might pose as sometimes, but I think Moot deserves recognition for pushing back against the alt-right, even as he can be blamed for their origin per your opening sentence. Because he actually did say that kind of thing, to some extent. A lot of the most modern stuff is more down to the new owner who doesn't see it as anything more than a (laughably difficult to monetize) investment.

I don't want to by so cynical to write off another community as people might write off mine. I don't want to think 2004 era 4chan was an inherently negative community or I'm kind of writing off most of the internet's sensibilities. I think maybe if it remained a community where posting anonymously was merely an option instead of enforced we might have seen a greater human compassion within them and their moderation core. Probably not enough to forestall the culture's poison but maybe enough we wouldn't see the worst of it come to pass.

Also if anyone hasn't read The Less Wrong Mock Thread, it's an important resource to understanding the other major cultural vector forming the alt-right. I don't think that's dropped into archives but if it has, it should be Goodmined

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

RFC2324 posted:

He got smart and sold it, coincidentally to

Snowy posted:

I guess you’re right though, it would be better to go back and kill the baby version of that Japanese 2ch guy
this guy who is now keeping it alive to try and suck some ad dollars out of it

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Daikloktos posted:

Also if anyone hasn't read The Less Wrong Mock Thread, it's an important resource to understanding the other major cultural vector forming the alt-right. I don't think that's dropped into archives but if it has, it should be Goodmined

link?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3627012&perpage=40&noseen=1

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

oh my sweet god was this a whole Yudkowsky mock thread I missed? from loving six years ago? I hated him so much

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

oh my sweet god was this a whole Yudkowsky mock thread I missed? from loving six years ago? I hated him so much

I haven't followed any news about him since 2015, but I feel like his fanbase dropped off a loving cliff after 2016. Same with all the internet atheists who just embraced the alt-right fully once the mask was off these creative ways they tried to justify their racism disappeared and they just flew the white nationalism banner proudly.

I know around that time Yud and his AI group buddies kept claiming they had proved or shown something world changing but wouldn't show the proof, I imagine they're pulling the same grift as all the other wannabe tech messiahs trying to score donor/research money with endless vague promises.

His wiki entry barely has anything from past 2015, and the only recent stuff is his foundation publishing his blog posts as an e-book not even a paperback. People who write fan-fiction and self-publish can get listed on amazon but Yud couldn't even do that.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 17, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Daikloktos posted:

I don't want to by so cynical to write off another community as people might write off mine. I don't want to think 2004 era 4chan was an inherently negative community or I'm kind of writing off most of the internet's sensibilities.
I noticed a hard lurch in channers around like the end had of the '10s. Stuff like "LOL Newf**" and "n-word" becoming just accepted even in the dorky areas for some reason.

You can attribute it to bad actors pressing a vulnerability to normalize their beliefs and poo poo, sure.

The real crazy thing is that it got so bad that when *any* sort of restriction popped up (mainly, don't post loving jailbait ya creeps) a whole bunch of people noted out and made other #chans that somehow were even worse

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FilthyImp posted:

I noticed a hard lurch in channers around like the end had of the '10s. Stuff like "LOL Newf**" and "n-word" becoming just accepted even in the dorky areas for some reason.

You can attribute it to bad actors pressing a vulnerability to normalize their beliefs and poo poo, sure.

The real crazy thing is that it got so bad that when *any* sort of restriction popped up (mainly, don't post loving jailbait ya creeps) a whole bunch of people noted out and made other #chans that somehow were even worse

how did you notice this?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

how did you notice this?

Don't do this.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ChubbyChecker posted:

how did you notice this?

a lot of us are ex-channers. people who used to be on the "less lovely" parts of 4chan, got chased out when the site went full nazi, and decided to check out 4chan's daddy are a pretty decent chunk of newer goons, i'd assume.

hell, i used to moderate 7chan like a decade ago, and it was a horrifying experience that (since I was like 14-15 at the time) probably permanently hosed me up.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fix It posted:

back when moot said he was facing tens of thousands in hosting charges on his mother's credit card, i told him in the #somethingawful (or maybe a different one) irc channel he should just cut his losses and shut it down. i'm so very sorry i lacked any power of persuasion.

More like

More like Mr. Didn't Fix It

(im so sorry, both you and I were unworthy of that)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm also an ex-channer that got skeeved out by all the nazi poo poo bubbling up and bailed. I'm reminded of that bartender's anecdote about how, if you don't chase out the nazis when they first come in, will slowly and surely turn your bar into a nazi bar so you'd better learn the signs chase them out right away. There was no bartender to chase the nazis out of 4chan.

It was just kind of a coincidence that this was when Let's Play was at its height and that's how I wound up regging here.

The last thing I remember about 4chan was a guy posting a thread that was basically just workshopping an isekai premise of One Company of US Marines vs. The Entire late-18th century British Army and I wound up being the most long-winded poster in the thread explaining, in detail, why the Marines would lose in the long run. Which should not have been a difficult concept to grasp but, well, you know.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FilthyImp posted:

"LOL Newf**"

Read this as “newfie” the first time and was a bit confused, I have to say.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Subjunctive posted:

Read this as “newfie” the first time and was a bit confused, I have to say.

mods? ban this sick filth for this slur

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

No.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Our stupid newfie was a big sweetie who never did anyone wrong :woof:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I had a Newfie serial harasser/stalker for a while in Freshman year. It was hard to take him seriously with the accent NGL.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Those words were always acceptable all over 4chan from at least 2007 onwards. The only difference between then and around 2014+ is that the majority of people still insisted it was just a joke or trolling for the sake of it, unless they were on a board that had unironically horrible views since its inception like /pol/ or /r9k/.

I normally only browse there when I'm extremely depressed so I have more knowledge of the late 2000s and 2014-16, I doubt things have changed significantly in recent years though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Musluk's reign as Star War IK has made today a good day for the leper's colony

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
these god drat avatar pics are taking tf over

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

HiroProtagonist posted:

these god drat avatar pics are taking tf over

Embrace the peaceful holistic ways of the Na'vi. Dehumanize yourself and face to cat butt.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Keith Atherton posted:

Like my SA password was more complicated than passwords to log into my financial accounts

My bank requires passwords that are exactly eight characters long and contain only letters and numbers.

They do have two factor authentication though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I saw a mention of a little I guess not smiley (because of current situations) but it looked like a small image in the form of a hammer or something.