Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

It's a joking reference that became less of a joke with chuds over time. There has been a longstanding "rivalry" in the gun world between 9mm and .45ACP as preferred handgun ammunition. The idea is that since .45 is bigger in diameter, it has more "knockdown power" than the 9mm. The counter to that is that you get more 9mm in a magazine because of it's smaller size (compare ~9 rounds of .45ACP to ~17 rounds of 9mm) and the 9mm projectile moves much much faster due to the reduced weight . Then chuds disparage 9mm because it's metric and therefore anti-America, so since the US had used .45ACP for decades, it gets tied in with the weird deification of anything Americana, and becomes "God's Chosen Caliber"

Some people refer to it as this sarcastically, some chuds refer to it like that half sarcastically to cover the fact that they're fully serious.

Gun culture was a mistake.

tldr: Americans don't understand physics or even the basic Newton's Laws, so they think "bigger is better", like everthing else in America

blunt for century fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

It was the U.S. pistol caliber in both World Wars, Korea, Vietnam, and numerous other conflicts over seven decades.

I thought it was a 'stopping power' fetish about blowing bigger holes in 'wild animals'...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It helps that the progenitor of .45 ACP, John Moses Browning, is basically Jesus to firearmphiles.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Canuckistan posted:

I thought it was a 'stopping power' fetish about blowing bigger holes in 'wild animals'...

Kind of is. Part of the reason the US Army adopted .45ACP was they believed they needed a pistol round capable of killing a horse. Most of the rest of the world realised that 9mm was perfectly capable of killing a man, let you carry more ammo, was easier to shoot, and they didn't need to shoot horses nearly as much as they needed to shoot men.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Sunswipe posted:

Kind of is. Part of the reason the US Army adopted .45ACP was they believed they needed a pistol round capable of killing a horse. Most of the rest of the world realised that 9mm was perfectly capable of killing a man, let you carry more ammo, was easier to shoot, and they didn't need to shoot horses nearly as much as they needed to shoot men.

Not just kill a horse, stop a charging horse in its tracks with one shot. IIRC that might even be in the design documents or rfp or whatever it was.

For all it has been co-opted by CHUDs, .45 acp is one hell of a round.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Are .45 rounds also way more expensive?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alucard posted:

Are .45 rounds also way more expensive?

Prices fluctuate, but a rule‐of‐thumb is that .45 is half again as expensive as 9 mm.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I work in a bearing factory and this is unbelievably triggering

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 15, 2020

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Sunswipe posted:

Nah, it was racism. .38 couldn't stop these doped up natives, get a bigger bullet! No idea where the horse thing came from.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

iwentdoodie posted:

Nah, it was racism. .38 couldn't stop these doped up natives, get a bigger bullet! No idea where the horse thing came from.

They probably were known for riding horses. :smith:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Not a lot of horses in the jungle in the Philippines I don't think

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

iwentdoodie posted:

Well I heard it from Ian on Forgotten Weapons, and that man knows guns and facial hair.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, I've never heard the horse thing, I've always heard the story about it being invented expressly for genocide.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

shame on an IGA posted:

I work in a bearing factory and this is unbelievably triggering
What's the most bearings you've ever seen spilled? Was the noise transcendent or merely glorious?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, I've never heard the horse thing, I've always heard the story about it being invented expressly for genocide.

Oh crap, am I misremembering? Gonna have to try and remember which video I'm thinking of from all the ones I've watched recently. I may be some time.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Wasn't it this thread who talked about the guy who went to the gun range with a desert eagle and the recoil broke some of his teeth? I imagine big heavy guns are harder to shoot. I would venture into the gun subforum but I'm a chicken.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

queserasera posted:

I would venture into the gun subforum but I'm a chicken.

Come on over. Its super chill and welcoming.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Sunswipe posted:

Oh crap, am I misremembering? Gonna have to try and remember which video I'm thinking of from all the ones I've watched recently. I may be some time.

Yeah, it was straight up conceived for the express purpose of killing people in south east Asia because colonialism.

Also the testing done for it was basically shooting live cows a bunch.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Splicer posted:

What's the most bearings you've ever seen spilled? Was the noise transcendent or merely glorious?

It's more like, someone dropped a 2003 μm OD needle into a bin of 2000-2002 μm needles and now we need to re-sort or scrap 12,000,000 needles

Or even worse, a soft 2001 needle into a bin of heat-treated 2000-2002

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

queserasera posted:

I would venture into the gun subforum but I'm a chicken.

It's the only gun forum I've ever seen that welcomes leftists and LGBTQ, calls out racist/authoritarian poo poo, and isn't seeping in toxic masculinity. It's pretty good.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Sunswipe posted:

That may well be a story about a different caliber, or just a more obscure variant/mutation of the .45 ACP story. It definitely sounds like the kind of urban legend people would develop about a high powered cartridge.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

PinheadSlim posted:

It's the only gun forum I've ever seen that welcomes leftists and LGBTQ, calls out racist/authoritarian poo poo, and isn't seeping in toxic masculinity. It's pretty good.

When did this happen? It used to be absolutely dire in there.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Don't worry, nothing bad happens.

https://twitter.com/BinAnimals/status/1294340211703513089

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1294360897335390209?s=20

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, it was straight up conceived for the express purpose of killing people in south east Asia because colonialism.

Also the testing done for it was basically shooting live cows a bunch.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That may well be a story about a different caliber, or just a more obscure variant/mutation of the .45 ACP story. It definitely sounds like the kind of urban legend people would develop about a high powered cartridge.
I think I was mixing up one of the requirements for .45 Long Colt with the ones for .45 ACP. That would make more sense, as .45 LC was being adopted at a time when horses were still used extensively and a cavalryman might need to euthanise a horse with his pistol. Gives me a good reason to rewatch a load of Forgotten Weapons and In Range content, so could be worse.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

gschmidl posted:

Don't worry, nothing bad happens.

Yeah you just posted a video of someone killing their pet.

You worthless gently caress.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Manager Hoyden posted:

Did you watch the same video as me :confused:

Cat was rolling around with a snake, saw it and got startled. Nowhere did I see lil kitty get bitten by the snake, or die.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Manager Hoyden posted:

I uh... what?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
That cat died from snake fright a mere 12 years later.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Poor cat, thought of a snake and died

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

OCD INTENSIFIES

xtal posted:

at least it wasn't a cucumber

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

xtal posted:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

dog nougat posted:

Did you watch the same video as me :confused:

Cat was rolling around with a snake, saw it and got startled. Nowhere did I see lil kitty get bitten by the snake, or die.

When the cat gets off the chair the snake is latched on. The car got bit by a venomous snake.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHHty4wgiuI here's an uncropped version where you can see that's not the case

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

When the cat gets off the chair the snake is latched on. The car got bit by a venomous snake.

I never knew snakes had fangs in their tails

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

mrking posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHHty4wgiuI here's an uncropped version where you can see that's not the case

Well I am very happy to be wrong, thanks for posting that video.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

Its a super young python it looks like, I doubt it could even really bite the cat effectively at that age and they have no venom.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

Well I am very happy to be wrong, thanks for posting that video.

perhaps you should try turning on your monitor next time you watch a video

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
don't worry everyone, i bit the snake to give it a taste of its own medicine (i drank its venom first).

Strumpie fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Manager Hoyden posted:

Is car OK?