Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I know precisely jack and poo poo about them, but perhaps X3 or (if it has improved and has a modding community built around it by now) X4?

I can speak to X3 and the answer is it isn't exactly a hauling game. I mean, yes you can do that, but it involves a lot of time spent in autopilot and the only way to really get cash is to automate a fleet of haulers and use a relatively quick ship as a mobile office.

On the other hand, there's a pretty sweet salvage mod which adds a bunch of cool poo poo. Tooling around the galaxy in a corvette with a small fleet of fighters and salvage/support ships is pretty drat cool. Collect abandoned ships from war stricken areas and send them back to home base for repairs or scrap and create your own "salvage" if you see a good opportunity. Automate resupply ships to refuel and rearm the fleet on expeditions. Requires reading a bunch of documentation and tooling around with the UI to get things rolling so its not exactly low effort though.

Edit: doing anything in X3 requires "reading a bunch of documentation and tooling around with the UI to get things rolling" so buyer beware.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

explosivo posted:

That said, if the thought of getting stuck in the mud and winching yourself out turns you off then stay far away because there are winches o' plenty.

Not entirely. It's not what I'm looking for but also hearing that doing tasks unlocks things and affects the area is nice. Plus the amount of customization I saw. I somehow feel like it'd make a great game during WFH. :3:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I found the Farming Simulator games scratched that itch for me. There is a lot to do in the base game and an insane amount of amazing mods available that are very well supported.

Huh. Didn't expect that, I'll have to check it out.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Morter posted:

Folks, I want to do some trucking, some hauling, some moving of goods from one place to another, preferably at my own pace, or let me choose the route.

I've played plenty of Elite: Dangerous, Euro Truck Simulator, (a bit of) American Truck Simulator, and the Rebel Galaxy Games.

I'm in the mood for something more simmy. I only just upgraded my ship in Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, but trading doesn't work super well, and it's all very low quantities of items. I loved trading in Elite: Dangerous, but the almost constant threat of Elite ships (once you get high rank) just makes it a tedium. Plus I have just about everything I want.

I'm mildly considering Snowrunners, but after watching gameplay, I realize it's less driving and more about fighting nature, and winches. Holy poo poo, winches. Also, there seems to be a limited amount of jobs in Snowrunner, which would cut down on the replayability, so I'll just wait until a discount.

So, besides the aforementioned games, are there games I should look at? Or should I stick with what I have? Obviously, open to other platforms besides Steam.

-No Man's Sky
-Death Stranding
-Cloudpunk
-Microsoft Flight Simulator in a few days

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Definitely Death Stranding. While there is combat, most of the rest is literally Fetch Quest: The Game as well numerous ways to make it easier and more convenient on yourself. Wanna set up a network of ziplines between local mountain peaks? You can do that. You can also build roads and zoom around on a post-apocalyptic cyber bike and deliver pizza. There are tons of things to do in that game.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

This. It's a game just about that.

But beware of dumb story, outdated mechanics, unbelievable bad vehicle physics, unnecessary fighting, tons of pointless cutscene animations, engine crashes, a lifeless environment, ridiculous anime "humor", dragging down the actual good core idea of it.

It's like MGS V. A bad Hideo Game.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Morter posted:

Huh. Didn't expect that, I'll have to check it out.

Most of the game is driving tractors around your land plowing, harvesting, seeding, etc etc. You do fill up cargo containers with crops to sell at various destinations around the map, but the game is generally played in a small (but quite detailed) town/countryside so trucking isn't over long distances isn't the focus. I found the 'start with a farm, earn money to buy more land and better equipment loop' to be pretty satisfying, though eventually it can become tedious unless you download some of the excellent mods that vastly improve the AI and how they can help tend your lands.

Epic gave it out free a few months ago so there's a small chance you already have it (that's what got me into it).

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

haldolium posted:

It's like MGS V. A bad Hideo Game.
Death Stranding is finished though. And its beautiful.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Farm Sim is a really good lawn mowing game with some good transportation and heavy machinery models but its maybe farthest from the mark from being "simmy." Everything handles like a go kart without going deep down the modding well.

You might consider Derail Valley. Even without Vr its fleshing out into a good career-mode hauling sim with a meaningful progression missing from most other hauling games.

No, but, really, trust me answer: My Summer Car.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

explosivo posted:

Yeah my friends and I stopped last night at the boss fight with the big fire dragon.. thing.. and I remarked how loving impossible that fight must be without help. As a group we struggled with the adds so much that we didn't beat the fight yet because we kept getting killed either by the adds or by the boss while we were dealing with the adds. If they don't change the amount of spawns during a boss fight then holy poo poo good luck.

On an unrelated note, what's the status of Civ 6 these days? Is it good enough with the expansions to be about where Civ 5 was once it got it's expansions?

I only played Remnant real early after release but I assume adds do still in fact depend on number of players.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Speaking Hollow Knight, uhh:

This is called Gleamlight and sure looks an awful lot like HK.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1199370/Gleamlight/

I'll take pretty much anything like HK so hopefully this is good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Flimf posted:

Speaking Hollow Knight, uhh:

This is called Gleamlight and sure looks an awful lot like HK.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1199370/Gleamlight/

I'll take pretty much anything like HK so hopefully this is good.

definitely not feeling the movement in this, it's very floaty even by hollow knight's standards

also yes it is 100% hollow knight: stained glass edition

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

explosivo posted:

Yeah my friends and I stopped last night at the boss fight with the big fire dragon.. thing.. and I remarked how loving impossible that fight must be without help. As a group we struggled with the adds so much that we didn't beat the fight yet because we kept getting killed either by the adds or by the boss while we were dealing with the adds. If they don't change the amount of spawns during a boss fight then holy poo poo good luck.

On an unrelated note, what's the status of Civ 6 these days? Is it good enough with the expansions to be about where Civ 5 was once it got it's expansions?

Coop adds more minions and/or changes boss patterns. The fights are tuned for solo when playing solo.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

zedprime posted:

No, but, really, trust me answer: My Summer Car.

Did they put in a loving PPSh yet?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

DatonKallandor posted:

Coop adds more minions and/or changes boss patterns. The fights are tuned for solo when playing solo.
For a certain definition of 'tuned,' at any rate. They often don't really feel that way.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I only played Remnant real early after release but I assume adds do still in fact depend on number of players.

DatonKallandor posted:

Oh lol that's good to hear. I assumed that by the way people talked about it the fights themselves were always the same.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone have anything to say about Atomicrops?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

It looks cool, some very nice pixel art and it might be pretty fun too. Out in September so not sure how worthwhile it really is.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Ciaphas posted:

Housemate's been playing it. It's got a really good sense of humor and the only real downside is that if you've been playing in EA the limited roster of bosses means you're gonna have patterns DOWN by the last year. Very good gameplay, be ready for a shooter more than Stardew crop raising (like, 80/20). Would recommend, it's only improved with every patch.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

It has a cool occult sci-fi vibe with great lore. Reminds me a bit of The Secret World in that respect.

For some reason I was under the impression that Remnant literally was another TSW spin-off game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fruits of the sea posted:

I can speak to X3 and the answer is it isn't exactly a hauling game. I mean, yes you can do that, but it involves a lot of time spent in autopilot and the only way to really get cash is to automate a fleet of haulers and use a relatively quick ship as a mobile office.

On the other hand, there's a pretty sweet salvage mod which adds a bunch of cool poo poo. Tooling around the galaxy in a corvette with a small fleet of fighters and salvage/support ships is pretty drat cool. Collect abandoned ships from war stricken areas and send them back to home base for repairs or scrap and create your own "salvage" if you see a good opportunity. Automate resupply ships to refuel and rearm the fleet on expeditions. Requires reading a bunch of documentation and tooling around with the UI to get things rolling so its not exactly low effort though.

Edit: doing anything in X3 requires "reading a bunch of documentation and tooling around with the UI to get things rolling" so buyer beware.

That salvage mod combined with whichever one adds the ability to buy automatically equipped fighters is the fastest way to get a fleet that isn't useless and also doesn't take 1000 hours to build up to, it's great. Go war profiteering then start a war yourself! You're probably not a bad person!

X4's kind of just boring. You can do the same thing kind of, except the ai is even worse, so you can solo fleets on your own in a single frigate, so why bother building to something, you're unstoppable if you fly into blind spots

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So Remnant’s getting better but I feel like I might have pulled a Dark Souls and missed something important. I’m onto the second world but the root mother has been around offering to upgrade my not-flask for a while and I haven’t found the thing it needs. I haven’t really needed an upgrade yet but I can’t help but feel I should have been able to by now. Am I wrong?

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
It's an explorable object, gotta search for it. One per biome, per run

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 16, 2020

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

John Murdoch posted:

For some reason I was under the impression that Remnant literally was another TSW spin-off game.

It really should have been, and it's weird that it's not.
Edit: No wait I think I'm confusing it with another game is weirdly not a TSW spin-off.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kibayasu posted:

So Remnant’s getting better but I feel like I might have pulled a Dark Souls and missed something important. I’m onto the second world but the root mother has been around offering to upgrade my not-flask for a while and I haven’t found the thing it needs. I haven’t really needed an upgrade yet but I can’t help but feel I should have been able to by now. Am I wrong?

I found one on one of the earth levels so you probably just need to look in places you skipped before.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I found one on one of the earth levels so you probably just need to look in places you skipped before.

Was it just hidden in some corner somewhere?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Did anyone else try preloading Flight Sim from gamepass and it only downloaded ~150 mb or so? Gonna be bummed if the "preload" for that is a launcher that will then download 45GB of data on launch day.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

explosivo posted:

Did anyone else try preloading Flight Sim from gamepass and it only downloaded ~150 mb or so? Gonna be bummed if the "preload" for that is a launcher that will then download 45GB of data on launch day.

That's how all of their preloads work. It's really just adding it to your library.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

Possible. You get one per world in the story mode and there's also a chance they will spawn when you generate a world in Adventure mode. It's generally worth it to roll a couple Adventures to see and collect the stuff you missed (most notably, the alternative bosses).

You can download this thing to analyze your save and tell you what you missed in the worlds you generated - although I'd suggest not reading for worlds you haven't been in yet, as the story stuff is set when you start the game. The item you're looking for is called Simulacrum.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 16, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Possible. You get one per world in the story mode and there's also a chance they will spawn when you generate a world in Adventure mode. It's generally worth it to roll a couple Adventures to see and collect the stuff you missed (most notably, the alternative bosses).

You can download this thing to analyze your save and tell you what you missed in the worlds you generated - although I'd suggest not reading for worlds you haven't been in yet, as the story stuff is set when you start the game. The item you're looking for is called Simulacrum.

I thought I was being thorough but if there’s always 1 I guess I walked past it at some point. I’ll have to check that tool out, thanks.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
My only issue w remnant is that I would have really liked a way to play everything but the bosses on nightmare difficulty, but then do bosses just on hard. I think that would’ve been the ideal balance for me- the adds just got to be too much on nightmare. Such a good game though coop imo.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

quick q: played Remnant from the Ashes a bunch on Steam, friends just picked up on Epic, will I have to start a new save to play with them?
edit: nevermind, just booted the game up for the first time in a while and now I see it has an option to link to epic from steam

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 16, 2020

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kibayasu posted:

In my case it was actually in the middle of path I had to walk through to progress, so I guess I was just lucky. The one in my map was pretty obvious and glowing brightly (like a large golden one of those silver things the tougher monsters drop).

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

40 Proof Listerine posted:

That boss shares a single health bar among the 8 copies and there's a bunch of explosive pods around the arena - if you can light all 8 copies on fire at once the health bar takes 8x damage. Same goes for landing a couple really big charged hits on more than one copy at once. The copies that heal the others stop after 1-2 good shots.

It's a boss that really relies on a good execution and shines in the MP, and can stop a run cold for a bit while learning the patterns solo
I just got this boss in my first adventure mode roll and it was definitely the rudest poo poo; glad I didn't get this boss in my campaign because I probably would have quit right there instead of just trying my best due to knowing I could always just reset roll.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm trying to remember an older indie title, does anyone recall an adventure-ish game about a bunch of scifi special forces guys named after chess pieces that took place entirely(?) on an airplane? I think it was a pure adventure game- I didn't get more than an hour in when I tried it, but from what I recall it was mostly planning missions and resolving situations diplomatically from a distance. I think it came out around 2008-2012 and had an aggressively minimal aesthetic and color palette, but honestly can't remember anything more concrete.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Remnant is actually pretty good for a looter shooter/'Souls mashup, and it feels like Dark Tower: The Game.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Remnant is actually pretty good for a looter shooter/'Souls mashup, and it feels like Dark Tower: The Game.

Its a good shooter, not at all a looter.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm trying to remember an older indie title, does anyone recall an adventure-ish game about a bunch of scifi special forces guys named after chess pieces that took place entirely(?) on an airplane? I think it was a pure adventure game- I didn't get more than an hour in when I tried it, but from what I recall it was mostly planning missions and resolving situations diplomatically from a distance. I think it came out around 2008-2012 and had an aggressively minimal aesthetic and color palette, but honestly can't remember anything more concrete.
Consortium.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ghostlight posted:

Consortium.

Yes!! Thank you so much, holy crap- I am insanely impressed that you remembered that from my awful description.

Morter posted:

Its a good shooter, not at all a looter.

Also yeah, this- I enjoyed the heck out of Remnant, but towards the end my interest quickly fizzled out when I realized that every zone dynamically adapted to my level, and that upgrades only helped by keeping your (statistics) head above water.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 16, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's really a pretty bang on description - you nailed genre, setting, style, and chess theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Finished Yakuza Kiwami 1, still not sure why there were so many people were saying to skip it. Yeah its pretty same-y as Yakuza 0 but it takes almost the entire cast from 0 and has you find out where they end up going in to Kiwami 2 so its a ton of detail and lore you're missing out if you played Yakuza 0.

The main story is pretty good, and while the side quests weren't as engaging or interesting as 0 you need to play them to grind up your level to make combat easier. Fighting definitely felt worse then 0 for some reason, and once I maxed out the combat damage levels I dropped doing the side quests and just went straight through the story.

The Majima stuff adds another level of stuff to do while wandering the city, but like the side quests I stopped bothering with it when I maxed combat damage.