Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Chandler was great in NO, that Charlotte team just sucked the life out of him. Playing for Larry Brown would suck the life out of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

what is a player, and what is a coach? who is the monster, and who is the man?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
He used him in a system that was utilized his strengths thus unlocking the best play out of chandler. You would think you would understand this after Brad Stevens got Evan Turner to play well

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

Chandler was great in NO, that Charlotte team just sucked the life out of him. Playing for Larry Brown would suck the life out of you

that charlotte team sucked the life out of diaw too

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bras Stevens is def a top tier coach

No argument

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

euphronius posted:

No idea why Carlisle is a top tier coach. I mean some players won him a championship but that happened to ty lue

He makes mean faces on the sideline I guess

I think this is true from watching the game against the Blazers. He kept Burke till the end when he'd played like poo poo nearly all game long. Not sure if it's connected to his feuds with rondo, dsj, javale, nerlens, etc. But really, why isn't Delon playing more consistent minutes?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

CoolRanch posted:

I think this is true from watching the game against the Blazers. He kept Burke till the end when he'd played like poo poo nearly all game long. Not sure if it's connected to his feuds with rondo, dsj, javale, nerlens, etc. But really, why isn't Delon playing more consistent minutes?

I think Delon isn’t playing more consistent minutes because he turned out to be a bad fit with the team. The idea was he could take some pressure off Luka to run the offense occasionally, hit catch/shoot 3s, and defend. He hasn’t displayed the ability to run the offense very well when given the chance. I’m sad about him not working out because I had high hopes for him. Imo he is the most likely Mav to be traded between seasons.

DSJ faked being sick and missed games because he was mad Luka was getting possessions at point. He even took a picture with a fan while faking sick. Carlisle was pretty nice to him all things considered.

Rondo had issues because he wanted full control of the offense, when he wasn’t given full control after going the team mid season, he quit in a playoff game then faked a back injury. The team voted not to give Rondo any of the shared playoff money. It’s hard to blame Carlisle after that happens.

I didn’t remember a feud with JaVale. Nerlens was another weird situation. He once went to get a hot dog mid game. He basically started that season telling the team he was only there for a year by rejecting the giant offer Dallas gave him. He very rarely looked good on the floor with them and then they had little incentive to give him more minutes. He seems intense and I’m sure that causes a lot of the issues/rubs players the wrong way. He also almost beat the best Spurs team of all time with ancient Dirk, ancient Vince Carter, and Monta Ellis.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 16, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

10 years ago

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Delon isn't playing more minutes because he only does stuff like every 15 games or so. He's very skilled and even more passive. That said Carlisle's rotations are probably his most persistent bit of weirdness. I remember he tried to run Barea-Terry-Peja against the Heat in the Finals for like three minutes and they predictably got wrecked.

Honestly given how loving dogshit DSJ has been for New York I'd almost put that as a tally in Carlisle's "small guards" column. Not that he was very good in Dallas but woof

When Chandler was acquired he was expected to backup Brendan Haywood (who they just signed to a six year deal) and kick the supposed value of Erick Dampier's contract down the road a bit, as another expiring big, because efforts to turn the Damp contract into CP3 had--shockingly--not been successful. No one on planet earth in summer 2010 thought he could or would be the second best player on a championship team. That's hugely due to Chandler being good and getting healthy but it was a brilliant system for him, and given Carlisle's tendency to facilitate hyper-efficient roll men I think it's fine to say he had a bit to do with it. That Chandler was also a top-notch defender is what distinguishes him from guys like Wright and Powell and why "getting the most out of him" produced a title instead of a first-round exit. But that's a front office problem

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm driving my car through euphronius door

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

Yeah chandler is really good that’s my whole point lamo

Thank you for agreeing

I wonder who coached him, no way to know guess it checks out

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lockback posted:

I wonder who coached him, no way to know guess it checks out

Byron Scott and Mike Woodson

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tyson Chandler was great for 4 coaches

Byron Scott
Mike Woodson
Mike Dantoni
Rick Carlisle

Maybe Tyson Chandler is just really good

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Stole this from Reddit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul Silas and Brendan Malone get no credit for unlocking lebron James. Top tier coaches imho

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I feel like Jeff Green has played with half the all stars in the league.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I'm probably much more sympathetic to the idea of the coach's influence, even on the established professional, than many because Dirk's my favorite player and one of his most distinctive quirks is his wizened German sensei who taught him how to go 50/40/90 despite always shooting like he's about to fall on his rear end

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Dirk didn't win with Steve Nash but did with Rick Carlisle, gonna say Rick Carlisle is good (and having an actual loving center is good).

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

dirk didn't win until he had JET

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

BWV posted:

I feel like Jeff Green has played with half the all stars in the league.

yeah probably

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Coaching doesn't matter also here are a list of coaches that wasted Tyson Chandler

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

for the first time in two decades the bulls are going to do a coach hiring process that does not heavily involve the current coach at Iowa State

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

All those impatient people got Vlade fired

https://twitter.com/MattGeorgeKHTK/status/1294747644334493696
https://twitter.com/MattGeorgeKHTK/status/1294747281644638209

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what if the bulls hired jim boylan

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think the play-in game was a pretty big success. Maybe it should be like, 2 games back or something, just because in the course of a whole season, 4 games back is a lot of games back.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

R.D. Mangles posted:

dirk didn't win until he had JET

They would have won several more titles if Nash had stayed. Nash was a better player than Terry basically every year they both played.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

Tyson chandler had a 10 win share that year come on. Assuming merion gets it they hand 3 HOFers plus a prime Chandler

that team was better than it gets credit for but kidd and marion are not making the hall of fame because of what they did in dallas lol

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
"Coaches don't matter" was the main crux of Bill Simmons basketball book. Congrats on having the same opinion as Simmons.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The crux of Simmons' book was that Larry Bird was so good he'd make you go find an ice cream shop and sit there in silence pondering and reflecting on what you just saw

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
I remember looooong passages about how coaching means absolutely nothing to the success of a team. Think Bird needed to be coached? Let's have a look at these random stats:

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

The crux of Simmons' book was that Larry Bird was so good he'd make you go find an ice cream shop and sit there in silence pondering and reflecting on what you just saw

Bill Simmons posted:

Every time I watch Jason Kidd play, initially it’s like seeing a girl walk into a bar who’s just drop-dead gorgeous, but then when he throws up one of those bricks, it’s like the gorgeous girl taking off her jacket and you see she has tiny mosquito bites for tits.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Rick posted:

I think the play-in game was a pretty big success. Maybe it should be like, 2 games back or something, just because in the course of a whole season, 4 games back is a lot of games back.

If #9 is X games back, #9 must win X straight "stay-alive" versus #8 in order to force the ultimate play-in. A single win by #8 secures their spot, and X is capped at a max of (insert discussion here) games.

In other words, if at season's end:

#9 is tied with #8, 1-game play-in
#9 is 1 behind #8, they must win 2 straight
#9 is 2 behind #8, they must win 3 straight

Fun on paper, prob unreasonable in real life when you factor in days off between Game 82 and 1st round, plus the travel and whatnot in "normal" seasons.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

bill "this isn't open mic night" simmons everyone, doing a fourth rate andrew dice clay bit

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Spacebump posted:

They would have won several more titles if Nash had stayed. Nash was a better player than Terry basically every year they both played.

There's no way that Nash was going to play under Carlisle for very long.

He's a good coach for sure, but he also hurts his team by limiting the type of player who will play for the Mavs with his generally toxic behavior, so I guess pick your poison.

kalensc posted:

If #9 is X games back, #9 must win X straight "stay-alive" versus #8 in order to force the ultimate play-in. A single win by #8 secures their spot, and X is capped at a max of (insert discussion here) games.

In other words, if at season's end:

#9 is tied with #8, 1-game play-in
#9 is 1 behind #8, they must win 2 straight
#9 is 2 behind #8, they must win 3 straight

Fun on paper, prob unreasonable in real life when you factor in days off between Game 82 and 1st round, plus the travel and whatnot in "normal" seasons.
Yeah it would be almost impossible to execute, but it's definitely fun to think about.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

euphronius posted:

10 years ago

James Harden led the league in WS again this season and it puts him in very exclusive company:

code:
Player			Seasons
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	9
Michael Jordan		9
Wilt Chamberlain	8
James Harden	 	5
LeBron James 		5
Neil Johnston		5

tanglewood1420 posted:

- Steph is already breaking down more and more
- Klay coming off an ACL will almost certainly not be an elite defender next year, if ever again
- Draymond suuuuuuuuuucked this year on both ends of the floor
- Wiggins turning into a good player would be pretty much unprecedented in NBA history
- KD was low-key important defensively for them and they will miss him against good teams, all their 4s are defensive sieves
- Their depth is total rear end

For them to be 50+ wins so much has to go right. It's not literally impossible, but highly unlikely.

Also, going to the finals five straight years in modern NBA history is unprecedented.

Poque posted:

the obvious choice to replace Vlade is, of course, Jim Boylen

:lol:

Zogo fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 16, 2020

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
All them win shares and a first round exit lol

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

#neverforget
https://twitter.com/wgnnews/status/1071552001589370880

Declan MacManus posted:

there are a ton of very interesting dudes who played for the spurs in the 70s and 80s; everyone knows cocaine cowboy george gervin, but there was also james silas, larry kenon, johnny moore, alvin robertson, artis gilmore for a minute when he was a giant stiff

I would've liked to see Artis Gilmore play alongside MJJ in 1985 and 1986. Artis Gilmore was #1 in NP in 1985 for the Spurs and MJJ was #2 that same season. It would've been one of the greatest scoring duos in NBA/ABA history with MJJ as a rookie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

boylen was bad for the bulls but great content

I have faith that the Bulls can make another disastrous selection. I think we're in the part of the cycle where the Bulls hire a fan favorite former player. Kirk James Hinrich

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Zogo posted:

James Harden led the league in WS again this season and it puts him in very exclusive company:

neil johnston

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

chunkles posted:

neil johnston

its me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

jim boylen is going to be named secretary of health and human services next week

Jim Boylen appointed to serve on the USPS BOG. Trump mysteriously wins Illinois in November.

tanglewood1420 posted:

The fact that the Suns went 8-0 and didn't even make the play in game shows how silly it was inviting them in the first place.

Yes, it was cruel and unusual punishment.

WhyteRyce posted:

Why? They had a lot of ground to make up and the Blazers ended up going 6-2 which was also pretty good. It's not like Phoenix didn't have a path to the playin game. They played perfectly but needed a little bit of help, which is how a lot of playoff races at the end of the season finish

Because of the extenuating circumstances with the bubble. Bringing a team back after 4+ months off is different than the April coasting that teams are doing typically doing. A scenario of the Suns going 8-0 for naught and leaving the bubble all infected with the virus was a possibility.