Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Speleothing posted:

When do they break the speed of light?

apparition lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

JKR said there was a jewish kid at hogwarts. Are wizards religious? Why doesn't the torah talk about magic at all?

It's been made quite clear by many reasonable, level-headed sources that all the wizards and witches are very religious in their fervent worship of Satan.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

DrBouvenstein posted:

LOl, still kind of BS, like...other than because he went to Hogwart's, what connection did he have to the Ravenclaw Diadem or the Hufflepuff Cup?

And REALLY drat convenient he decided not to use the Sword of Gryffindor so it could then be used to destroy FOUR of the other loving ones.

Edit: If the goal is to make a Horcrux no one will be able to find or get at, can I retroactively make mine that Shockwave Transformers toy I lost when I was 8? That thing vanished off the face of the Earth.

He didn't use the Sword of Gryffindor because he couldn't find it; it's implied that when he went to apply for the Defense Against Dark Arts teacher's position and got told to pound sand by Dumbledore, he was also there to hide Ravenclaw's Diadem and to look for the Sword so that he could turn it into a horcrux.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, the sword was hidden in the Sorting Hat until Harry pulls it out in his second year. Then it gets put on display in the Headmaster's office etc.

It also didn't have the power to destroy Horcruxes until then because it absorbed basilisk venom when Harry killed it? Its a weird as hell detail the seventh book spends a lot of time on.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DrBouvenstein posted:

LOl, still kind of BS, like...other than because he went to Hogwart's, what connection did he have to the Ravenclaw Diadem or the Hufflepuff Cup?

The explanation is that he was obsessed with Hogwarts because it was the only place he ever considered home, or some bullshit like that. That obsession resulted in him trying to find the founding figures' famous artifacts and use them as soul jars.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Well it's forbidden in Leviticus, but Jewish tradition makes reference to both good and bad magic.

Exodus tells you to execute those who practice witchcraft so there's probably a pretty big identity crisis for a Jewish wizard.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think I remember reading something where in the world of Harry Potter no magic folk died in witchhunts and they used a protection from fire spell that made the flames only tickle.

I liked Harry Potter more before they all hit puberty and had to act like the wizarding world was very serious.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think I remember reading something where in the world of Harry Potter no magic folk died in witchhunts and they used a protection from fire spell that made the flames only tickle.

I liked Harry Potter more before they all hit puberty and had to act like the wizarding world was very serious.

Yeah, its one of the world building details back in book 1 when we got a half look into some of the classes. They did a lot of more lighthearted things like that initially.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Zore posted:

Other people immediately buy it because they don't want to admit that Death Eaters still exist so they throw their slave scapegoat under the bus. Its incredibly realistic.

Hermione was the only one to try and stand up for Winky there, until Arthur awkwardly tried to shuffle the kids away. I also remember when Hermione argued that the house elves are slaves who don't know any better, Ron says that it's fine because they like it.

The Weasleys kind of suck, when you think about it.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think this was in the third book? But yeah, there was even a witch who was famous for alloweing herself to get caught tons of times because she found the idea of being burned alive "fun". At no point does the section mention that witches saved the falsely accused muggle women from the same fate.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

amigolupus posted:

I think this was in the third book? But yeah, there was even a witch who was famous for alloweing herself to get caught tons of times because she found the idea of being burned alive "fun". At no point does the section mention that witches saved the falsely accused muggle women from the same fate.

This was America, I believe you mean "No-Maj" women. :engleft:

Ror fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 15, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

amigolupus posted:

Hermione was the only one to try and stand up for Winky there, until Arthur awkwardly tried to shuffle the kids away. I also remember when Hermione argued that the house elves are slaves who don't know any better, Ron says that it's fine because they like it.

The Weasleys kind of suck, when you think about it.

Literally everybody in the books thinks Hermione is a lunatic for seeing the slavery of house elves is wrong. She tries to bring it up with Hagrid who himself is somebody who has experienced a poo poo load of prejudice in his life, and he just looks at her point blank and goes "They like being enslaved, get off your high horse."

Hell even she more or less drops the entire emancipation project after Book 4, outside of maybe 1-2 mentions at best and telling everybody to stop making GBS threads on the house elf at Sirius' place.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ror posted:

This was America, I believe you mean "No-Maj" women. :engleft:

gently caress I had blocked that from my memory

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Honestly an entire race of beings who love being servants to powerful magical humans strikes me as the kinda situation you run into when some asshat wizard curses an entire species or some poo poo.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

reignofevil posted:

Honestly an entire race of beings who love being servants to powerful magical humans strikes me as the kinda situation you run into when some asshat wizard curses an entire species or some poo poo.

Yeah there's no way they weren't made.

Wizards are monsters and it is right to kill them.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

:lmao: at this excerpt from the HP wiki

quote:

Later in life, Hermione would advance the rights of house-elves in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, before transferring to the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.

Hermione joins wizard ICE and convinces herself that she is helping out the good ones

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ror posted:

:lmao: at this excerpt from the HP wiki

Hermione joins wizard ICE and convinces herself that she is helping out the good ones

Mother of pearl, laffo.

JK just can't help herself, can she.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Angepain posted:

It's been made quite clear by many reasonable, level-headed sources that all the wizards and witches are very religious in their fervent worship of Satan.

The Sabrina Netflix series is loving hilarious because they literally do this

With the subtext being that it's basically just Catholicism

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Exodus tells you to execute those who practice witchcraft so there's probably a pretty big identity crisis for a Jewish wizard.

Thing is the definition of 'witchcraft' may have very different implications in the original Hebrew than in English

There's also real-world magical traditions for all three abrahamic religions; Kabbalist Jews, Threefold Path Christians and Sufi Muslims to start with

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Do wizards ever gently caress up their spells and get dragged into the warp

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Feldegast42 posted:

Do wizards ever gently caress up their spells and get dragged into the warp

*watches Ron suffer a cosmic horror fate*

It w-was wingardium leviohsa, n-not wingardium leviosah :smithicide:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Given the bend of JKs post potter beliefs I assume messing up your casting makes you poorer and the reason the weaselys have little money is because they are bad students and inattentive practitioners of magic and should levitate themselves up by the bootstraps

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Zore posted:

I mean, Barty Crouch immediately accuses Winky because she's supposed to be controlling his invisible Death Eater son who he suspects is the person who actually did it iirc. And he is desperately trying to get people to not look into the fact that he's been housing a wanted criminal for 15 years.

Other people immediately buy it because they don't want to admit that Death Eaters still exist so they throw their slave scapegoat under the bus. Its incredibly realistic.

Crouch is against the idea - he gets pissed at the suggestion that even one of his servants might have conjured the dark mark. Amos Diggory is the one all-in on the elf having done it.

Related:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That just reminds me that so much of my childhood favourite books tied up thousands of words in describing british foods I didn’t know anything about. Spotted dick? What? Is chocolate gâteau just chocolate cake? Ron you do not speak french!

Do they have any foreign language or ESL at Hogwarts? I’m not exactly confident that the French and Eastern European students were 100% good at taking high level classes in english

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Dumbledore attempts to pay dobby but dobby is like "nah pay me less"

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do they have any foreign language or ESL at Hogwarts? I’m not exactly confident that the French and Eastern European students were 100% good at taking high level classes in english

lmao imagine hogwarts teaching anything just because students should know it rather than for it being some wizard perv's particular obsession

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is the definition of 'witchcraft' may have very different implications in the original Hebrew than in English

There's also real-world magical traditions for all three abrahamic religions; Kabbalist Jews, Threefold Path Christians and Sufi Muslims to start with

Fun fact!

The early modern 'trial by water' for witchcraft dates back to Ancient Sumeria!

In Sumeria, if you accused somebody else of witchcraft, they would tie you up and throw you in the river. If you floated it was because the river thought you were right and just, and they'd kill the accused. If you were full of poo poo, well, problem solved. There is little historical evidence of any actual trials by this method.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

JKR said there was a jewish kid at hogwarts. Are wizards religious? Why doesn't the torah talk about magic at all?

https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Lions_of_Zion

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYeo2XQpyPI

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 15, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like how each school brought along a couple dozen students who could potentially be champions, but if you don't get selected you're still stuck at some foreign school for an entire year because you might have been one. Like gently caress you, I didn't get picked? Let me go home.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

josh04 posted:

Related:

And the next day, Hermione started eating again because there's no ethical consumption under Hogwarts.

On the one hand, I've read someone compare Hermione's attempts to free house-elves to a privileged white woman's first activism attempt. On the other hand, she's the only person who actually gave a poo poo and wanted to abolish slavery, so gently caress everyone else. Even Harry, who the Dursleys treated as their personal slave until around the fourth book, didn't see anything hosed up about the house-elf situation in Hogwarts just because Dumbledore was a 'good' master.

Sydin posted:

I like how each school brought along a couple dozen students who could potentially be champions, but if you don't get selected you're still stuck at some foreign school for an entire year because you might have been one. Like gently caress you, I didn't get picked? Let me go home.

I remember Harry was a judgmental dipshit against the students from Beauxbatons. He thought they were being snobs just because they didn't fawn over Hogwarts, and didn't stop to think that maybe they're pissed off that they're forced to stay in a foreign school for a year. A school that probably made it onto the international news for the last couple years because it had students being petrified by a monster, or it became a host to a group of soul-sucking demons.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Still, I liked when she kissed Ron in the last book because he took two seconds to try and get the House Elves evacuated. It's also great because it's a prejudice Harry has to face in Sirius, a prejudice that was the downfall of him and Voldemort both.

Of course thank god we had that stuff with the Goblins to remind us that sometimes prejudice is based in fact.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, honestly Ron is legitimately the character who does most for House Elves out of anyone in the entire series since he is literally the only person to remember that they're at Hogwarts and that no one's told them there's about to be a big gently caress-off battle they should run away from.

It is an incredibly damning indictment of like every person in the series.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
you know it really sucks rear end that rowling turned out a transphobe

being like 10 when the first one got popular in the u.s. was amazing, the world was really magical, and every single person in my class read it, it was a huge shared experience

i read 4-7 on release night, straight through, every one of them, and they meant a lot to me. i didn't go out and get any tattoos of it or anything, but they were a fun ride for a young teenager

now i feel tainted rereading any of it because of her poo poo. gently caress you jk rowling

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I read 4 months before the rest of my school because I read it in english during summer vacation while everyone else waited for the french translation in october.

My :smug: levels were off the charts.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

MonsieurChoc posted:

I read 4 months before the rest of my school because I read it in english during summer vacation while everyone else waited for the french translation in october.

My :smug: levels were off the charts.

be honest how many kids did you end up spoiling

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

amigolupus posted:

I remember Harry was a judgmental dipshit against the students from Beauxbatons. He thought they were being snobs just because they didn't fawn over Hogwarts, and didn't stop to think that maybe they're pissed off that they're forced to stay in a foreign school for a year. A school that probably made it onto the international news for the last couple years because it had students being petrified by a monster, or it became a host to a group of soul-sucking demons.

It's because they're French

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

TheAardvark posted:

you know it really sucks rear end that rowling turned out a transphobe

being like 10 when the first one got popular in the u.s. was amazing, the world was really magical, and every single person in my class read it, it was a huge shared experience

i read 4-7 on release night, straight through, every one of them, and they meant a lot to me. i didn't go out and get any tattoos of it or anything, but they were a fun ride for a young teenager

now i feel tainted rereading any of it because of her poo poo. gently caress you jk rowling

Yeah, same honestly. It was a really fun shared experience in my childhood that I had fond memories of and Rowling has completely ruined it in recent years :(

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

TheAardvark posted:

be honest how many kids did you end up spoiling

I don't remember.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm a US/France dual citizen thanks to my dad and I was angry at Beauxbatons by age 9 :smug: :france::hf::texas:

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Zore posted:

Yeah, same honestly. It was a really fun shared experience in my childhood that I had fond memories of and Rowling has completely ruined it in recent years :(

Yep it sucks massively. My partner got me tickets to the cursed child for my 30th and while it was p much bad fan fic I had a great time and it tickled my nostalgia bones in just the right way, and now I just feel annoyed and sad thinking about it

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's because they're French

Looking back on it, the way Fleur was depicted was both racist and misogynist, and the Triwizard tournament spent its time making her look incompetent.

Then there's the sixth book, where Molly Weasley spent most of the time disapproving of Bill dating Fleur because of her thinly-veiled racism.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

golden bells posted:

I know hp really changes trajectory from the first book but this gets my goat: the scene from the first book in which Harry interacts with and frees the zoo snake. It sets up Harry as someone with empathy, and suggests to the audience to doubt the snake as a badge of evil as they occur in the series. It's select compassion and evil snakes for the rest of the series.

The snake at the zoo speaks Spanish because it's from South America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

amigolupus posted:

Then there's the sixth book, where Molly Weasley spent most of the time disapproving of Bill dating Fleur because of her thinly-veiled racism.
To be fair I didn't get too much a racist read off Molly. You sure it's not all the other Weasley's you're grouping her in with or am I just remembering her too warmly