Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

MrUnderbridge posted:

Mmmm.... anyone up for casu marzu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

MrUnderbridge posted:

Mmmm.... anyone up for casu marzu?

The most un-vegan cheese possible

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
is this horseshoe cheese theory?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Bobby Digital posted:

You guys like trains?

just digging up the past to say that having a massive run-around to get from New Zealand to Australia is a terrible design

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Piss Meridian posted:

just digging up the past to say that having a massive run-around to get from New Zealand to Australia is a terrible design

close, but excellent design

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Where is the train map from? Is it a serious railway system proposal or... what? And why the Penguin Books logo?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It's a book cover. Specifically it's meant to mirror the layout of the London underground but laid over a world map, which obviously doesn't work because london and planet earth are not comparable systems.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Piss Meridian posted:

That's dumb, but not quite as dumb as there being no direct route between London and Paris when that already exists irl.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Plus they were only allowed to use cities that have subway systems.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The best bit is Tokyo not having a direct train link to anywhere in Japan.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Making Australia hard to get to is just smart planning.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
if we're going back there, I love the extremely dumb but quite scenic Dallas-Jacksonville-Miami-Mexico-Guadalajara-Monterrey-Houston-Phoenix-Denver route

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 13:15 on Aug 16, 2020

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
idk there's an awful lot to be said for the current example sydney to auckland by way of loving isfahan

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I also like how Jakarta is extremely not there.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

hooman posted:

It's from the first edition, published 2003. Jakarta's rapid transit system is relatively new and might not have had much in the way of maps at that point.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

hooman posted:

It's on the bottom-right?

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Is it at all possible that it’s a book cover and not an actual transit map? Maybe it was designed to be illustrative about the book, and if said book is about the subway (or even mass transit) systems of the world then it has done a good job. Maybe the real idiotic thing is talking about it like it’s supposed to be of practical use in planning a trip.

Just kidding, of course not, let’s have another three page derail about this poo poo.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Someone post a circle map, since we're on page 314. Also to avoid the book cover derail.

Best I can think of is our shameful Copenhagen metro, which got it's circle line (red) just last year. The blue part opened very quietly in April or so.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

OH gently caress YEAH WE'RE TALKIN' ABOUT THE loving TRAIN BOOK COVER AGAIN!

It's all the cities with rail-borne mass transit linked in a stylistic pattern meant to resemble a mass transit map, (which accounts for the under-representation of Africa) because it is a book of mass transit maps.

It spawned a massive derail (lol) when first posted I don't know why we decided to bring it up again.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
the only thing better than the extremely real subway map of earth is angrily posting about it

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lets instead derail about this:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

BonHair posted:

Someone post a circle map, since we're on page 314. Also to avoid the book cover derail.

Best I can think of is our shameful Copenhagen metro, which got it's circle line (red) just last year. The blue part opened very quietly in April or so.

For the combination of shameful subways and circle maps, you can't beat Glasgow. Third oldest subway in the world and still using the the same 15 stops and a whole two lines: clockwise, and anti-clockwise. I hear there might be ambitious plans in the works to get it finally running on Sundays past 6pm, though! Wow

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Albino Squirrel posted:

It's from the first edition, published 2003. Jakarta's rapid transit system is relatively new and might not have had much in the way of maps at that point.

Tenebrais posted:

It's on the bottom-right?

I mean geographically, that is really really not where Jakarta is.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

hooman posted:

I mean geographically, that is really really not where Jakarta is.

Maybe they're just being pro-active, because where Jakarta is now isn't going to be where Jakarta is in a few decades

because it's sinking

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Elviscat posted:

OH gently caress YEAH WE'RE TALKIN' ABOUT THE loving TRAIN BOOK COVER AGAIN!

It's all the cities with rail-borne mass transit linked in a stylistic pattern meant to resemble a mass transit map, (which accounts for the under-representation of Africa) because it is a book of mass transit maps.

It spawned a massive derail (lol) when first posted I don't know why we decided to bring it up again.

piss meridian literally quoted a two month old post and we're all reacting to it like it's fresh. probations for everyone, imho

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Memento posted:

Maybe they're just being pro-active, because where Jakarta is now isn't going to be where Jakarta is in a few decades

because it's sinking

They decided on a location last year, its on Borneo, which doesn't bode well for the environment there.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49470258

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Angepain posted:

For the combination of shameful subways and circle maps, you can't beat Glasgow. Third oldest subway in the world and still using the the same 15 stops and a whole two lines: clockwise, and anti-clockwise. I hear there might be ambitious plans in the works to get it finally running on Sundays past 6pm, though! Wow

Glasgow has the Sub Crawl challenge/drinking game. Buy an all day ticket, start as soon as the bars open and have a pint (or a glass of beer and a shot of spirits) at the nearest pub to every subway station. Don't wear blue or green, or bring up soccer or you'll get your head kicked in by the shrinelike hooligans bars

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Count Roland posted:

The Middle East is bordered in the south by the Indian Ocean, in the east by the Ganges, in the north by Russia, and in the west by Iran.

Pic unrelated.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The most direct railroads used to be called air lines because they supposedly took the same path a theoretical air route between two cities would take. Even before air travel existed the concept of air travel was in people's hearts.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm saying that cover is hilariously retrograde because we first had air lines traveling ON TOP OF the Earth, which we imagined were the most direct routes between two points, ignoring all topography, then we had actual airlines flying us on supposedly the most direct routes ABOVE the Earth, and now transit nerd morons want rail connections that are the actual most direct routes, the true air lines, BELOW the Earth. The next step is imagining transport THROUGH the Earth.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

All I actually want is suborbital half hour flight to anywhere that is low cost enough for the average human

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The fact that it’s a book cover and not in any way a genuine proposal for a global transit system does not make it any less funny or fun to poke holes in imo.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Is that Earth: the Book or I am America and So Can You? It looks familiar.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Mr. Fix It posted:

piss meridian literally quoted a two month old post and we're all reacting to it like it's fresh. probations for everyone, imho

sorry, I got a little train mad.

I'm sure about 40% of this forum can relate

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

All I actually want is suborbital half hour flight to anywhere that is low cost enough for the average human

I have bad news for you about peak energy.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

hooman posted:

I have bad news for you about peak energy.
and also about "firing off things that look like icbms all over the place" which is really only appealing to posadists

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Some serious Oman, UAE, and Qatar erasure going on here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Count Roland posted: