Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that title makes me picture synecdoche new york but it's a city-sized high school campus & now I don't want to learn what it actually is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Rollergator is cute. The alligator, not the film.

I'm not sure if I have acoustic guitar induced brainworms or some other mental condition after watching that movie but I feel comfortable saying that the tiny purple gator puppet is Good.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Davros1 posted:

High School USA, starring Michael J Fox and a whole slew of 80s TV stars. This used to get rerun on my local station in the 80s all the time.

NBC tried to make this into a series, and that has something of an MST3K connection:

quote:

No less a personage than NBC president Brandon Tartikoff chose Hodgson to star in a sitcom that he was personally backing. That meant the show would have a guaranteed run, and, of course, it meant an offer of big bucks to Hodgson: $10,000 a show to start. Hodgson turned the offer down.

"All I knew is that I didn't want to do that show," Hodgson says. "It was called 'High School U.S.A.' and was a really dumb 'Animal House' type of show where the ragtag group of losers band together and beat the big fraternity guys. When I turned them down I thought that would end it, but all they did was double the amount of money they offered me. They were already going to pay me a stupidly large amount of money, and they doubled it because I was this dumb kid comedian telling them their show wasn't funny.

"Hollywood needs a lot of confidence going into these projects because so much money is involved, so they were basically trying to buy me because I didn't agree with what they were doing. But to me it just seemed, 'Why try to make high school kids think that's what high school is, in the name of being funny?' I felt a lot of responsibility and didn't want to sell away all those kids' perceptions."

[...]

In the end it was the offer of the sitcom that convinced Hodgson he had to leave show business. He was depressed by the shallowness around him, and he had no friends his age who could understand what he was feeling.

Joel's disillusionment led him to move back to Minnesota. Only one episode of the series was made, and it was burned off over Memorial Day weekend.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Action Jacktion posted:

NBC tried to make this into a series, and that has something of an MST3K connection:

Joel's disillusionment led him to move back to Minnesota. Only one episode of the series was made, and it was burned off over Memorial Day weekend.

That sure is a something of a connection, yeah.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Action Jacktion posted:

oh it's THAT High School USA

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Ror posted:

Rollergator is cute. The alligator, not the film.

I'm not sure if I have acoustic guitar induced brainworms or some other mental condition after watching that movie but I feel comfortable saying that the tiny purple gator puppet is Good.

He is super cute, I want a little stuffed one :3:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Breadallelogram posted:

oh it's THAT High School USA

I thought it sounded familiar too and all I found was that one season animated series that looked deeply unfunny, because 'adult' animation needs to be like Family Guy since nobody is clever enough to reach for early Simpsons or even The Critic.

Now if you will all pardon me, I will be off to yell at clouds. Good day.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Action Jacktion posted:

The scene where the guys 'jump on the girls' in the haunted house, the girls scream, and then at least one of the boys can be seen putting his belt back on as they exit the haunted house is pretty dreadful.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dienes posted:

The scene where the guys 'jump on the girls' in the haunted house, the girls scream, and then at least one of the boys can be seen putting his belt back on as they exit the haunted house is pretty dreadful.

I didn't cringe this much watching Porky's.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dienes posted:

Still no Revenge of the Nerds, I guess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dienes posted:

There's also the scene at the dance where the one gossipy girl is dating a middle aged guy.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
How the hell has RiffTrax never done Beastly? Its like an even more melodramatic Twilight.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dienes posted:

How the hell has RiffTrax never done Beastly? Its like an even more melodramatic Twilight.

At a guess it's probably too expensive to do VOD and I don't think they make that much on Just The Jokes. Also they may just not know about it. Throw them a recommendation.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 16, 2020

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Dienes posted:

like an even more melodramatic Twilight.

man how is that even possible. i have to see this

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

man how is that even possible. i have to see this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cwGwkupmWk
Jenny spending 45 minutes talking about how bad Beastly is.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cwGwkupmWk
Jenny spending 45 minutes talking about how bad Beastly is.

And the Wii exclusive alternate ending

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I have submitted a recommendation for the guys to do Barry Bostwick's Megaforce. If they decide to do it, I am content with that being my legacy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I have submitted a recommendation for the guys to do Barry Bostwick's Megaforce. If they decide to do it, I am content with that being my legacy.

Im not sure this is a joke but that riff exists and its good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dawgstar posted:

They did it, but it's not available any more.

There is a best of video though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfVY3vP2nAM

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Barudak posted:

Im not sure this is a joke but that riff exists and its good.

I didn't know, actually, but now that I know it exists I feel okay for recommending it because maybe they'd bring it back.

One does wonder how these extremely niche cult flicks get away from them.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I wish they'd announce when something was getting pulled. I'd love to have legit copies of Megaforce and Wizards of the Lost Kingdom in my collection.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Why does stuff get pulled again?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MrMidnight posted:

Why does stuff get pulled again?

In all but one case the answer is probably that copyright law is a harsh mistress. The other case is that Lowtax is a wife-beating sack of poo poo whose delivery sucked anyway.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You could always just :filez: it, and go to the Rifftrax donation page. They basically beg you to during the credits.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yo, check this out!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So as of right now it looks like Trace and Frank are going to continue doing a livestream version of The Mads because they've announced another one for next month, Walk the Dark Street.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I may be late to this, but since I arrived unspoiled, I’d like to opine that I was woefully unprepared.
That is to say, I just finished Rock ‘n’ Roll Nightmare.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hogama posted:

I may be late to this, but since I arrived unspoiled, I’d like to opine that I was woefully unprepared.

There really is no way to be truly prepared. I've seen that riff a couple dozen times now and the ending is still completely jarring and strange even when I know its coming.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hogama posted:

Truly there can be only one God-fearing softcore rock 'n roll movie and that was it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Amazon Prime Video had a couple of the live shows, which were drat good, so I went and bought others they had for sale. I have to say that with what we know now, I wasn't SUPER amused by videos made by Lowtax, animated by Shmorky, and featuring Lowtax's now estranged daughter.

Still, the live shows are very good and IMO have a much better energy than many of the non-live Rifftraxes and I would recommend the Plan 9 and Reefer Madness live shows at least, A++.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 27, 2020

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Netflix gets Anaconda on Sep 1st, if you want to revisit that particular just-the-jokes riff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ringu0 posted:

Netflix gets Anaconda on Sep 1st, if you want to revisit that particular just-the-jokes riff.

It's pretty funny, too. We can all enjoy the roller coaster that is Jon Voight's accent.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This week's Riff is Martial Law 2: the sequel that does not star the guy from the first movie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heck yeah, more Rothrock!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dawgstar posted:

Heck yeah, more Rothrock!

She's really impressively likeable even in the worst RiffTrax films she's appeared in.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I finally watched A Talking Cat!?! and that is A Hell of a Thing. The sound quality of Eric Roberts's dialogue is the best part.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
A Talking Cat!?! and Santa's Summer House (speaking of rothrock) are in my top ten of all time, they're both so bizarrely incompetent

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Why did none of you tell me a new Mathew and Ian came out? I must treasure each of these as they may be the last.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I finally watched A Talking Cat!?! and that is A Hell of a Thing. The sound quality of Eric Roberts's dialogue is the best part.

Also cheese puffs being so critical to the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Dawgstar posted:

Also cheese puffs being so critical to the plot.

I legit felt like I was losing my mind when they said "Cheese Puffs" so many times in a ten minute period.