Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Seeing ineos's performance in the CdD there's probably a lot of teams feeling pretty good about the tour.

Its going to be exciting to see how they all manage to squabble amongst themselves and gift ineos a win anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/daniellloyd1/status/1294965588088033281

Final stage of the race, on a Sunday afternoon? Why would we possibly televise most of that?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Yeah, the TV scheduling this season is incredibly weird.

e: although I think the Dauphine is consistently bad wrt that. At least I think I've complained about it before

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The only race that is completely televised is the TdF afaik

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
checkmate, I guess?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Yyyyyyyyyyyikes, Sivakov

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I hate it when my own bike bodyslams me

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

That was absolutely one of the more cartoonish looking crashes I've ever seen

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
SU
PER
MAN

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This is great, no idea what's going to happen.

How did Pinot let these lot ride off? Just standard Thibault Pinot things?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

peanut- posted:

This is great, no idea what's going to happen.

How did Pinot let these lot ride off? Just standard Thibault Pinot things?

He almost got dropped when they attacked.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is it Thibaut time?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

What I think I'm seeing here is that Alaphilippe took a turn for Pinot, then Barguil took a turn, and now Bardet took a turn.

Looks like it might be Thibaut Time

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Allez Pinot!!

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm a little bit amazed the moto is staying behind that Pinot group of Frenchmen + Dumoulin

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Get in there Sepp

Pinot going to get it isn’t he?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

peanut- posted:

I'm a little bit amazed the moto is staying behind that Pinot group of Frenchmen + Dumoulin

Clearly not a French Moto rider or it would be 10cm in front of Pinot.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

It would help if the GC numbers didn't jump around by 8 seconds at a time

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Smirr posted:

It would help if the GC numbers didn't jump around by 8 seconds at a time

17 seconds

No wait 28

Now 22

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Martinez going to hold on

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
lmao at all these french wheelsucking are Teebow

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Martinez going to hold on

EF sneaking a win here

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Man, they really like that airstrip, huh

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

29" gap for Martinez, apparently, wow. Happy for him and also for Kuss. Great race

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
SEPP SEPP SEPP

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
as god is my witness, I thought Sepp Kyuss was canadian :911:

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
lmao
https://twitter.com/larrywarbasse/status/1294953760339492864?s=21

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Dauphine has been great. Hoping the tour matches it.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

So the US Jockey Club had their annual Round Table this morning, the interesting thing is that they brought in Greg Lemond to share his experiences with cheating in cycling. Talked about Landis more than Armstrong, but then near the end he said he thinks that cycling is now "close to clean".

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If he doesn't have any real contact, he's just guessing like the rest of us, right?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1295979544340553728?s=20

No Thomas or Froome for the Tour

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Not surprised at froome but no super G?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Thomas probably heading up another grand tour I'd have thought.

Also looking at that squad and the lack of British riders made me wonder who the next wave of Brits coming through are and it's absolutely nobody isn't it, domestic scene is so poo poo that without Sky stealing all the track riders to develop there's just nothing there.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

Not surprised at froome but no super G?

Hasn't looked all that great and maybe going to be team leader for the vuelta or giro?

That's a pretty stacked team for the TdF. Should be a great battle with Jumbo Visma.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

The Ineos/TJV battle should be great. But I wonder if there's gonna be internal challenges on Ineos too. It will probably be business as usual, but lots of young guys look for opportunities I think. I guess that could be an issue for both teams. It's going to be interesting to see what happens in the 2nd and 3rd weeks when the cracks start showing.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Vando posted:

Also looking at that squad and the lack of British riders made me wonder who the next wave of Brits coming through are and it's absolutely nobody isn't it, domestic scene is so poo poo that without Sky stealing all the track riders to develop there's just nothing there.

Good article on the problems of UK road racing

https://thebritishcontinental.co.uk/2020/08/18/proposals-for-rebooting-road-racing-in-great-britain/

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Yep, pretty much nails it. As it stands, the only realistic way for a young rider to step up from youth levels to Conti level is to move abroad as soon as you can to a country where the development ladder exists, and the number of riders who can do this are obviously limited.

I look at riders like Ed Laverack who is undoubtedly a talented climber who could perform at Conti level in Euro mountain races, but he's being forced into becoming a YouTube personality first and foremost because moving abroad simply isn't an option for him, and he can't develop his skillset on the UK calendar.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Vando posted:

Apparently Thomas will lead Ineos at the Giro and Froome at the Vuelta but considering how obscene that Tour lineup is I'd not be stunned if someone ends up as "co-leader" for the Vuelta, like a Carapaz and take over if Froome still hasn't improved enough.

I went radio silent on cycling to avoid Il Lombardia results and watched it this morning and good grief Remco Evanpoel had a terrifying crash. Even knowing he's relatively okay now I feel sick in the stomach just thinking about it.

gently caress RAI though for continually showing it, and him in the ditch and even helicopter footage of the ambulance driving to hospital. It's gross and excessive and one of the parts of cycling coverage I like the least.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 19, 2020

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

forkboy84 posted:

Even knowing he's relatively okay now I feel sick in the stomach just thinking about it.

Two months off the bike is a pretty good result all things considered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Nice to see Drugs Cheat Chris Froome won't be making GBS threads up the tour this year