Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lol like _a_ book gets tenure any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Smart money is farming out the actual book writing process to somebody in another country who will do it for three dollars an hour, then just go through and make edits. Or don't, whatever.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

What's a good book about the Enlightenment in Europe?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Strange Cares posted:

Not one written by Pick?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

stealie72 posted:

Not one written by Pick?

I don't know what that means, but sure. I can clarify more on what I'm looking for - written for someone who doesn't have a ton of grounding in the subject beyond what you learn in school, preferably with a focus on various enlightenment figures and their personalities.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Strange Cares posted:

I don't know what that means, but sure. I can clarify more on what I'm looking for - written for someone who doesn't have a ton of grounding in the subject beyond what you learn in school, preferably with a focus on various enlightenment figures and their personalities.

I was jokingly referring to this a couple posts above:

Pick posted:

Smart money is farming out the actual book writing process to somebody in another country who will do it for three dollars an hour, then just go through and make edits. Or don't, whatever.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Strange Cares posted:

I want to read this one when I have time

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1590176197

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

stealie72 posted:

I was jokingly referring to this a couple posts above:
Oh, I didn't realize that was refering to a specific author.

spb posted:

I want to read this one when I have time

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1590176197

I'll put it on the list, thank you!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm looking for a couple of good comprehensive books about two subjects, the Black Death and the history of the cultural concept of Witches/Witchcraft. Anything with period illustrations/woodcuts and extensive excerpts of first hand accounts/original sources would be great. Any recommendations?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The Great Mortality is a book I like about the Black Death, very readable and covers the disease in a broad way.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Pick posted:

The Great Mortality is a book I like about the Black Death, very readable and covers the disease in a broad way.

I picked it up on my E-reader and loving it so far.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Have been raiding my library's Overdrive for good medieval/early modern content:

Mudlark, by Lara Maiklem - A look at the hobby of mudlarking, where people search for/collect artifacts on the shores of river (especially tidal rivers, the Thames in particular). A pretty light read as far as history goes, but kind of cool to see what's dredged up.

Queen of the Conqueror, by Tracy Borman - A biography of Matilda, wife of William the Conqueror. A lot of it was educated guesswork based on the lack of, well, any sort of documentation in the 11th century, much less documentation of women, but kind of cool for that reason alone.

The Lost Tudor Princess, by Alison Weir - Biography of Margaret Douglas, who was Henry VIII's niece and Elizabeth I's cousin. She sounds like kind of a piece of work TBH, especially as Lord Darnley's coddling mother, but I hadn't known much about her, despite her being "in the mix" of the powerful female leaders of the era.

Mistress of the Monarchy, by Alison Weir - Biography of Katherine Swynford, John of Gaunt's mistress-turned-wife, which is just a cool story for medieval Europe--a real, lasting love story, mistress-turned-wife, illegitimate kids turned legitimate, direct ancestors of major English and Scottish monarchs.

All of the above are pretty accessible reads as far as nonfiction goes.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Trying this one, thanks for the reco

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Anyone have any suggestions on books about the intellectual history of desire for community / constructing communities / yearning for a community, etc? Basically those geimenschaft/gesellschaft warm fuzzies that get people to join clubs etc.

I've got Anderson's "Imagined Communities" on the shelf but I'm trying to find something a little more recent than the 80s.

edit: I've got something tickling the back of my head about a book on German bicycle clubs in the late 19th century? And becoming a nexus for working class politics but I think it might also have what I'm looking for or at least a few good bibliographical hits. Ugh, maybe it was an article.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on books about the intellectual history of desire for community / constructing communities / yearning for a community, etc? Basically those geimenschaft/gesellschaft warm fuzzies that get people to join clubs etc.

I've got Anderson's "Imagined Communities" on the shelf but I'm trying to find something a little more recent than the 80s.

edit: I've got something tickling the back of my head about a book on German bicycle clubs in the late 19th century? And becoming a nexus for working class politics but I think it might also have what I'm looking for or at least a few good bibliographical hits. Ugh, maybe it was an article.

It's from 2000, but Robert Putnam's "Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community" might be what you're looking for. There's also the '90s "Protecting Soldiers and Mothers" by Theda Skocpol.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

the history of the cultural concept of Witches/Witchcraft.

They may not 100% be what you're looking for, but some good recommendations in that general theme in this Twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/jaivirdi/status/1290393952483454980

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

So I finished "The Great Mortality" which was an excellent read. Much grateful for this thread for pointing it out.

It got me in the mood for some deeper dives into Medieval history (European mostly), and if anyone has any interesting pointers to give me, I'd be all the happier for it!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BigglesSWE posted:

So I finished "The Great Mortality" which was an excellent read. Much grateful for this thread for pointing it out.

It got me in the mood for some deeper dives into Medieval history (European mostly), and if anyone has any interesting pointers to give me, I'd be all the happier for it!

It’s 50 years old, but Norman Cantor’s ‘Civilization of the Middle Ages’ is really well written and a great overview of the period.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Medieval Europe by Chris Wickham is a good, up-to-date primer on the era (and you follow it up with his prequel The Inheritance of Rome)

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

I've been playing A Plague Tale and it has piqued my interest in reading more about the inquisitions across Europe. I'm not sure if it's better to zoom in and focus on the Spanish Inquisition or if there is a nice survey of inquisitions in the Middle Ages.
On Amazon, I saw the textbook A History of Medieval Heresy and Inquisition by Deane, but wasn't sure if anyone here would recommend it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

FMguru posted:

Medieval Europe by Chris Wickham is a good, up-to-date primer on the era (and you follow it up with his prequel The Inheritance of Rome)

Oh hell yeah, I love to read about the “Dark” age, thanks a lot!

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Medieval Europe and The Inheritance of Rome cover a lot of the same ground. Consensus seems to indicate Inheritance is the better read.

But I have biases because I enjoy Late Antiquity more than the late medieval period.

Chris Wickham also wrote an earlier work which is excellent called Framing the Middle Ages that is worth picking up if you really want to get into things.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Any easy reading about Canaanites or Phoenicians? Something accurate but not too dense?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pick posted:

Any easy reading about Canaanites or Phoenicians? Something accurate but not too dense?

In Search of the Phoenicians by Josephine Quinn is a good recent book that's scholarly while also being readable.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Strange Cares posted:

If you're still looking, I just came across a pretty comprehensive Enlightenment reading list:

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/history/students/modules/hi153/timetable/wk2/

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Is there a better reference on the filibustering insurrections in the 1850s than The Southern Dream of a Caribbean Empire?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Chairman Capone posted:

If you're still looking, I just came across a pretty comprehensive Enlightenment reading list:

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/history/students/modules/hi153/timetable/wk2/

I'm always happy to get more recommendations for a topic! Thanks very much

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SubG posted:

Is there a better reference on the filibustering insurrections in the 1850s than The Southern Dream of a Caribbean Empire?

It's not quite entirely on filibustering, but Matt Karp's This Vast Southern Empire is a more recent work on how slaveowners ran American foreign policy from the 1840s to the civil war. Not sure how his approach works in concert with the earlier book, though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chairman Capone posted:

It's not quite entirely on filibustering, but Matt Karp's This Vast Southern Empire is a more recent work on how slaveowners ran American foreign policy from the 1840s to the civil war. Not sure how his approach works in concert with the earlier book, though.
Yeah, that's the angle I've seen the subject most frequently discussed in--that is, as an antecedent cause of the American Civil War. I'm more interested in details of the filibuster movement(s) themselves, e.g. the internal deliberations (or whatever you want to call them) and daily lives of guys like e.g. Narciso López and William Walker and their followers. Like I'd like to be a fly on the wall of the ship carrying Walker's insurrectionists on their third? fourth? trip to Nicaragua when it runs aground and they get picked up by a Navy vessel that takes them back to the States again.

Like there seems to be a real When Prophecy Fails sorta thing going on in these guys that keep running off in like platoon strength to try to take over a foreign territory and just completely falling on their rear end again and again until they end up getting lined up against the wall in a courtyard somewhere.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I finished The Splendid and the Vile yesterday. It's so hard for me to read any book dealing with Nazis now. Too much of it rhymes with the present day.

Book is good, if a bit unfocused, though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I finished The Splendid and the Vile yesterday. It's so hard for me to read any book dealing with Nazis now. Too much of it rhymes with the present day.

Book is good, if a bit unfocused, though.

Erik Larson books are like that. most are still pretty good overall. i havent read much about the blitz or churchills various war years stuff, so i will listen to my copy on audible some time.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Finally finished The Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan. I really enjoyed it and learned a lot, although of course with such a huge scope no topic is explored too deeply. My only major complaint was that the last few chapters focused almost entirely on the War on Terror and ignored the recent history of the Silk Road countries other than Afghanistan and Iraq.

Now I'm getting started on Dancing in the Glory of Monsters and I'm ready to get inundated by the acronyms of various warring factions.

Preparing for my next read, I'm wondering if there's anything in the vein of Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee for Brazil, Australia, or other nations. Just an overview of the different indigenous groups of these areas, their genocide, and their resistance.

bowser fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 16, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Eh depends entirely on the prof. I’ve had classes where the person was a legit leader in their field and not reading their book would have been weird.

I mean they assigned other books too, but if you’re lucky enough to be sharing a classroom with that caliber of scholar read their book.

Caveat: Someone being a great scholar and writing a great book doesn't guarantee they'll be a great professor. I had one class like that, and while she's a very highly regarded scholar and her books were excellent, she was honestly pretty terrible as a lecturer and at designing tests. :(

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

bowser posted:

Now I'm getting started on Dancing in the Glory of Monsters

Buckle up, that is one depressing (but good) read :sigh:

I've finished the Masters of Rome series and I, Claudius. Where do I turn next for my ancient Rome historical novel fix?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I know Adrian Goldsworthy has a historical fiction series set at Hadrian's Wall. Haven't read them but if his nonfiction is anything to go by then they're probably worth a read.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Mzuri posted:

Buckle up, that is one depressing (but good) read :sigh:

I've finished the Masters of Rome series and I, Claudius. Where do I turn next for my ancient Rome historical novel fix?

Claudius the God is more of the same goodness. And if you want to, Gore Vidal's Julian is in the same vein.

If you're interested, The Fate of Rome is a good look at the impact of disease and climate on the collapse of the Roman state. Though his argument is more convincing for disease than climate.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Brilliant, thanks for the suggestions :)

Dropping a recommendation for Alaric the Goth for a look at the context of the Goths and the Romans in general.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

My Reaganland preorder just dropped on Audible. Hope it's as good as the last three Perlstein books!

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

bowser posted:

Preparing for my next read, I'm wondering if there's anything in the vein of Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee for Brazil, Australia, or other nations. Just an overview of the different indigenous groups of these areas, their genocide, and their resistance.

Canada specific, mostly, recommendations from my historian partner and I's bookshelf/classes they took:

The Plains of Aamjiwnaang
Clearing the Plains: Disease, Politics of Starvation, and the Loss of Aboriginal Life
New Histories for Old
Children of the Broken Treaty
Dancing on Our Turtle's Back

(last two are not exactly history texts but cover a bit of that)

Also recommend pairing with Palmater's Indigenous Nationhood

another edit: trying to find more stuff specific to Louis Riel and the Red River & North-West Rebellions, gotta ask a friend there.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Rimusutera posted:

another edit: trying to find more stuff specific to Louis Riel and the Red River & North-West Rebellions, gotta ask a friend there.

An Inconvenient Indian gets into that a little bit