Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alan Smithee posted:

Why were there polar bears anyway

Escaped from the animal testing lab on the island.

The best thing about Lost was the hard work goons did every episode gif'ing every instance of Jack face in the episode. And then, as the show went further and further off the rails, using the OP using insane number of gifs made per episode to write their own 'previously on' recap on each episodes thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

pospysyl posted:

Season 3 was cool because they deliberately set out to copy the worst comics of the nineties. They literally had a Clone Saga.

I was long gone by that point, all I know about the later seasons is that Sylar turns good in the end.

Y'know, the insane serial killer who murdered people by cutting open their heads and eating their loving brains.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Davros1 posted:

I loved the Dexter finale just for the reaction of the fans. The lumberjack thing was dumb, no arguments there, but for years fans were saying "The show has to end with him arrested or dead. It has to. IT HAS TO!!!!"

It reminded me of when fans who ship lose their minds when the show/movie/book doesn't pair up the characters that they want paired up.

This is why I think Sweeney Todd is a five star movie and is honestly underrated amongst movies of the last 20 years. Everything in it makes internal sense and not a lumberjack nor "stories" in sight.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I was long gone by that point, all I know about the later seasons is that Sylar turns good in the end.

Y'know, the insane serial killer who murdered people by cutting open their heads and eating their loving brains.

I actually liked when the series explained that he doesn't actually do that - when he finally gets claire, she's like "Are you gonna eat my brain?" and his response is "Claire, that's disgusting..." Sylar's real power is that he is the ultimate watchmaker, all he needs to do is look at something and he can see exactly how it works. He copies powers by looking in his victim's brains for abnormalities then somehow applying that to his own brain. He "fixes" his own body and mind like he would a clock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPUC2zQs0dk

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Remember Heroes was supposed to be the new Lost, lol

Heroes is the Ur-Example of victims of the writers strike. Seriously its worth going back and reading this and see just how much that strike had an effect on media:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect_of_the_2007%E2%80%9308_Writers_Guild_of_America_strike_on_television

rip Journeyman

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

I couldn't care less about L4D3 honestly, the zombie genre in general and zombie games in particular have kinda worn out their welcome.

The thing about L4D and why we want a L4D3 isnt that its zombies, its that the game itself is well done - 4 v 4 dynamic games are perfect for multiplayer, and the AI God or whatever it was called made the games feel fresh and dynamic. There haven't been games since that really cracked that same dynamic as well as L4D and L4D2, and with the pandemic people are looking hard for heavily social multiplayer games (the big two being the current rise of Fall Guys and the random revival of Among Us, which is essentially a speed run of Mafia/Werewolf).

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Lid posted:

rip Journeyman

Journeyman was so good

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

lessthankyle posted:

I just finished watching The Leftovers and came away really underwhelmed by it. While the dialog is great, and it's a beautifully shot and directed show, it seemed to really go south after Season 1 and the next two seasons were spent under-developing its themes in service of keeping a mystery alive. I'd love to see some sort of revived discussion on it, but I think I got into it several years too late.

I wouldn't have thought anyone could like Season 1 more than 2. Season 2 is possibly my favorite single season of any television show... I was enraptured, and loved how it all unfolded.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Escaped from the animal testing lab on the island.

The best thing about Lost was the hard work goons did every episode gif'ing every instance of Jack face in the episode. And then, as the show went further and further off the rails, using the OP using insane number of gifs made per episode to write their own 'previously on' recap on each episodes thread.

TVIV goons do some amazing work. The GoT thread had some incredible OPs, especially season 4s.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
and what was the smoke monster

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Speaking of The Boondocks, man the last season was rough.

I don't think he had anything to do with the last season

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

and what was the smoke monster

Turned out to be the dude from Bosch and then I think he turned into Terry O'Quinn for a little bit? I don't really remember, but the point is there was a big wheel in a cave and they had to push the wheel.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Crowetron posted:

Turned out to be the dude from Bosch and then I think he turned into Terry O'Quinn for a little bit? I don't really remember, but the point is there was a big wheel in a cave and they had to push the wheel.

Yeah, he and the goofy dude from Dexter had a kind of Yin Yang/God-Devil duality thing going on and the history of their island was their game of not-checkers. I think Boschman turning into Terry O'Quinn was about him trying to escape the island, which was alsi his prison. Him escaping would have been bad though, because then all kinds of poo poo would escape into the world for some reason.

Most of this was revealed in the second or third to last episode of the show, along with the cave and... was it really a wheel? I think they just had to replace big stone plug.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The wheel was a different thing, you spin the wheel to move the island

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Len posted:

The wheel was a different thing, you spin the wheel to move the island

Now picturing the Lost animated spinoff where every episode they spin the wheel like Wheel of Fortune to see where the island ends up

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Len posted:

I don't think he had anything to do with the last season

Yeah, which is why it wasn't so good.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Grendels Dad posted:

Most of this was revealed in the second or third to last episode of the show, along with the cave and... was it really a wheel? I think they just had to replace big stone plug.

IIRC if the cork stayed open for too long the island would sink and that would be bad because the island was the source of all life or something (?) so all life on the planet would end up dying (?!?) and this was supposed to be the big hint that all the flash-forwards throughout the last season were actually taking place in the afterlife.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Enos Cabell posted:

Journeyman was so good

looking at this list one of the good things to come from the writers strike was it ended Friday Night Lights season 2 early, aka the season you can pretend never happened and go straight to season 3 and nothing is lost.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Lid posted:

looking at this list one of the good things to come from the writers strike was it ended Friday Night Lights season 2 early, aka the season you can pretend never happened and go straight to season 3 and nothing is lost.

I've watched all of Friday Night Lights and love it dearly and I honestly can't think of a single season two event that carries over.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

PriorMarcus posted:

I've watched all of Friday Night Lights and love it dearly and I honestly can't think of a single season two event that carries over.
Didn't two of the characters literally murder someone during season two?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

NorgLyle posted:

Didn't two of the characters literally murder someone during season two?

Never mentioned again.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
All the emphasis on the ending of GoT is always kinda missing the point to me, i guess people were waiting and waiting for it to redeem the rest of the series but the problem with GoT isn't the ending it's that the last 3 (or 4) seasons were almost entirely garbage.
I was never bothered by the stupid ending, those final seasons are full of episodes worse than the ending. By the time the ending came around it had been a mediocre to bad show for a whiiiiile. It never really felt like the ending ruined it or was particularly bad.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Punkin Spunkin posted:

All the emphasis on the ending of GoT is always kinda missing the point to me, i guess people were waiting and waiting for it to redeem the rest of the series but the problem with GoT isn't the ending it's that the last 3 (or 4) seasons were almost entirely garbage.
I was never bothered by the stupid ending, those final seasons are full of episodes worse than the ending. By the time the ending came around it had been a mediocre to bad show for a whiiiiile. It never really felt like the ending ruined it or was particularly bad.

I think it was a combination of hoping it could redeem itself and the knowledge that this was probably all we were ever gonna get, cause :lol: if you think GRRM is ever going to finish those books.

Edit: I mean for real, we're well over a year since the finale now and Winds of Winter still isn't out yet.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 16, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah in the entire length of the series he published one book. And that was at the very beginning.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
HBO presents: Wild Cards

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Punkin Spunkin posted:

That's why it was always weird to me how most viewers were fine with it until the last season and especially the ending. The show has been bad since season 5 (with a slight uptick for an episode or two in 6). poo poo look at how well reviewed seasons 6-7 are with at least one of those seasons reviewing better than 1. ALL four of the bad seasons of Game of Thrones beat Better Call Saul (the best show on TV) at the Emmys.

The only time I had any hope it'd get better in the latter seasons was Cersei blowing up the Sept but then they wrote that to have absolutely zero consequences.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
delayed dissatisfaction

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah in the entire length of the series he published one book. And that was at the very beginning.

If there's one lesson I will impart to my children it's to never start a fantasy novel series unless it's already been finished.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If he can't complete the book he's been on for years during a months long lockdown he's never going to finish it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
But Kevin J. Anderson will, by god! And he'll generously give us 10 more books than that loser GRRM ever planned to!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

feedmyleg posted:

But Kevin J. Anderson will, by god! And he'll generously give us 10 more books than that loser GRRM ever planned to!

He'll use one crossed out note written on a napkin stained with coffee as the basis of the entire series.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Lobok posted:

If there's one lesson I will impart to my children it's to never start a fantasy novel series unless it's already been finished.

Has there ever been a big epic fantasy novel series that managed to get to the end before the author keeled over? Maybe LotR, but discounting The Hobbit that was just a trilogy. I guess there's Dark Tower but by all accounts that, uh, took one hell of a downturn towards the end.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Has there ever been a big epic fantasy novel series that managed to get to the end before the author keeled over? Maybe LotR, but discounting The Hobbit that was just a trilogy. I guess there's Dark Tower but by all accounts that, uh, took one hell of a downturn towards the end.

Malazan Book of the Fallen is finished.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Most people agree that the later seasons were bad, but the last (mini) season was dire on a scale that surprised a lot of people who were still enthusiastic about the show. It was an absolutely bizzare production with scripts that had less dialogue than any other season (and basically any other show on TV), had 3 consecutive episodes where Starbucks cups, water bottles, and laptop cords were clearly appearing in the shot, and literally had one of the protagonists say nothing but, "My queen..." for 5 straight episodes. People noticed something was wrong almost as soon as the season started and the panic was obviously building that the show was about to spectacularly miss it's landing. That last season is almost unreal in how badly produced it was.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
The big battle scene was also so dark that viewers couldn't actually see what was happening.

Not, like, a battle scene but the big climactic apocalyptic showdown that the whole loving series was building towards.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

My absolute favorite thing about GoT was the part in season five where they have a very special flashback to set up Cersei's prophecy thing from some random swamp witch and it set off all the book obsessed people since that is one of the big fanfic mysteries in the novels and then they didn't ever pay off the only part of the prophecy that anybody who knew what it was or were excited by the scene cared about.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Maybe LotR, but discounting The Hobbit that was just a trilogy.

LotR was one book that the publisher made him break up.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

NorgLyle posted:

My absolute favorite thing about GoT was the part in season five where they have a very special flashback to set up Cersei's prophecy thing from some random swamp witch and it set off all the book obsessed people since that is one of the big fanfic mysteries in the novels and then they didn't ever pay off the only part of the prophecy that anybody who knew what it was or were excited by the scene cared about.

It is funny how pretty much every Big Mystery there is in the novels is completely excised from the show. I guess Jon's parentage is the only book mystery that actually did make it to the show, and even then it got answered exactly the way everyone expected it to.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I might be talking out of my rear end here, but as far as I can tell "big epic fantasy" novels as a label only became a thing around the 90's to promote up and coming authors who were pushing lengthy stories. Like, when I think of big epic fantasy I don't think LotR, I think the Wheel series, and Sword of Truth and the like. The business model with them is to purposely not conclude the stories, so it's not too surprising that they outlast their authors (not that Goodkind has died yet).

A lot of longer fantasy stories that predate the label but are retroactively considered big epic fantasy have been completed. Jack Vance's Dying Earth, Le Guin's Earthsea, and Tanith Lee's Tales from the Flat Earth are all examples. Maybe you could count Michael Moorcock's Elric Saga or Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

LotR was written all at once as a single book but the publisher forced him to break it into three due to paper shortages in postwar England