Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

It's a 'sign' they should buy 'virtually' any other kind of ice cream, agreed Wendy.

Anyone else hear a bus coming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hey pal,
I still eat it if it's around.

In fact, earlier this summer my wife, who likes the stuff, got green mint chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches and they were real good.
I had to eat several of them to make sure I wasn't mistaken, obviously.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
They make corn flavoured ice cream in Indonesia and I bet it's really good. I'd also eat pea flavoured ice cream because I eat frozen peas and they're delicious.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mint flavoured ice cream and chocolate is good.

The best flavour of ice cream I have had, and I haven't seen it anywhere else, was in Korea. Persimmon ice-cream is awesome,

Persimmons are great fruits. I had never had them before. But, for my weird arse taste, you need to get them when they are still firm and a little crunchy. Coz they go soft very quickly.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

I had to eat several of them to make sure I wasn't mistaken, obviously.

and yet here we are

Content: I have a good friend who, without a doubt, will find a crust on any kind of bread-based food to not eat. Stuff like bagels, etc.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
My earliest sexist belief was that all women like mint chocolate ice cream. It did take me until I was in my mid-20s before I met a woman who did not like it. Fortunately that immediately destroyed the patriarchy in my heart as well.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

BrigadierSensible posted:

Mint flavoured ice cream and chocolate is good.

The best flavour of ice cream I have had, and I haven't seen it anywhere else, was in Korea. Persimmon ice-cream is awesome,

Persimmons are great fruits. I had never had them before. But, for my weird arse taste, you need to get them when they are still firm and a little crunchy. Coz they go soft very quickly.

two groups of cultivars, one originating in east asia and intended to be eaten soft and one originating in middle east and intended to be eaten a little crunchy. can tell by pointedness of end, eat the pointy ones soft. korean persimmon products mostly w the pointy cultivars

naem
May 29, 2011

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

and yet here we are

Content: I have a good friend who, without a doubt, will find a crust on any kind of bread-based food to not eat. Stuff like bagels, etc.

bagels are, 100% crust

like they leave a hole in the middle on purpose

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mint chocolate's the best because you can spit the chips and they ping off things like chewing tobacco in an old cartoon.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Funky See Funky Do posted:

They make corn flavoured ice cream in Indonesia and I bet it's really good. I'd also eat pea flavoured ice cream because I eat frozen peas and they're delicious.

in HK i got tofu flavored ice cream by mistake and it was so drat good

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

try tinned smoked oysters on a saltine with a little bit of mustard

I have always loved these, never liked the little fishes.

I eat em with a thin slice of very sharp cheddar and a bit blob of franks redhot.

I've never had to puke that up thank god I can't even imagine.

[get the ones marked "origin: korea" god knows what kind of heavy metals are in the chinese farmed ones]

Also warm water goon whats wrong with you... you chug 64 ounces of ice water, throw it all back up(the chill really stops it from burning or tasting), drink like 20 ounces of water and take a 4 hour nap.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 17, 2020

naem
May 29, 2011

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756260&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=198

sardine thread

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

my ex wouldn't eat anything with onion in it....

every great food has onion in it god damnit!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

i dropped some drama in there, sorry! my story had to be told.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Wendigee posted:

my ex wouldn't eat anything with onion in it....

every great food has onion in it god damnit!

I hated onion for the first 30 years of my life or so. If it was cooked down it was no problem but if I saw even the tiniest bit it was right out. Thankfully my tastes have changed and they're no problem anymore, although I still don't like them raw.

It was always the one thing I didn't like that I wish I did since it goes in so much stuff so I'm pretty happy with how all that turned out.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

she would only eat an any piece of onion if visible, if it was one of those dehydrated pieces rehydrated like McDonalds' puts on their regular hamburgers *barf*

I pray for you.

[edit] my favorite sandwich needs some red onion, spinach or random baby greens, anything but watery lettuce (no iceberg)) and vinaigrette plus whatever else like maybe some ham or turkey, some salami and ham? maybe some cheese cheese?

I'll be happy.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 17, 2020

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Wendigee posted:

I have always loved these, never liked the little fishes.

I eat em with a thin slice of very sharp cheddar and a bit blob of franks redhot.

I've never had to puke that up thank god I can't even imagine.

[get the ones marked "origin: korea" god knows what kind of heavy metals are in the chinese farmed ones]

In my area you can get smoked oysters that come from Washington state, though they’re ten dollars a tin. Expensive, but worth it as an occasional treat. You can tell they’re quality because the oysters are a very good size, and they’re full of green gunk when you bite into them

e: and also because they’re packed in sunflower oil instead of canola oil

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Ziv Zulander posted:

In my area you can get smoked oysters that come from Washington state, though they’re ten dollars a tin. Expensive, but worth it as an occasional treat. You can tell they’re quality because the oysters are a very good size, and they’re full of green gunk when you bite into them

e: and also because they’re packed in sunflower oil instead of canola oil

sounds amazing... all mine come from korea and the size of the oyster does vary quite a bit! sometimes you get like 9-12 little bitty ones or sometimes you get like 7 or 8 giant rear end ones. it's about 3.50-4.50 a can depending on lord knows what.

Both have the weird green gooey center that I assume is their guts. The oil listed is always oil:[Including one or more of the following] then it lists of like 5 oil types only one that is cheap and unhealthy and im sure thats what they use.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Wendigee posted:

Both have the weird green gooey center that I assume is their guts.

It’s algae, it’s the last the the oyster ate before it was smoked

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Ziv Zulander posted:

It’s algae, it’s the last the the oyster ate before it was smoked

consume it to gain their power.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

yummy power!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The "I hate onions" people weird me out because so many dishes start with sauteeing onions. They are in everything.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I think carrot ice cream would be really good too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The_Continental posted:

The "I hate onions" people weird me out because so many dishes start with sauteeing onions. They are in everything.

I met someone allergic to onions and eggs and wept for them.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
i allergic to authority.

and cats.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I don't care for carrots I think they taste really bad

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
i meant to say 'i'm'

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I’ve never been able to eat creamed corn. I admit that I only tried it once, but just the smell of it drilled straight through the rest of my brain to my gag reflex and left me too nauseated to eat anything else until I got it off my plate. I’ve never had that reaction to any item of food before; no, not even Brussels sprouts. and while a small part of me suspects I’m not being entirely fair in not trying it again, the rest of me is just fine not puking any more in this lifetime than I absolutely have to

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Carrot cake is lovely.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

BrigadierSensible posted:

Carrot cake is lovely.

It is divine and I bet that carrot ice cream would be the perfect accompaniment.

God I miss sugar so much.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

It is divine and I bet that carrot ice cream would be the perfect accompaniment.

God I miss sugar so much.

You know what other underground growing vegetable makes a good cake? Sweet Potato.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Barudak posted:

I met someone allergic to onions and eggs and wept for them.

I'm mildly allergic to raw onions - they make the skin in my mouth burn and peel, which tends to distract from the other flavours in the dish. People who sneak chopped red onion into everything are inconvenient.

Fortunately I have no problem with them if they've been heated a bit - since yeah, it seems most good dishes have some onion.

Exactly the same with tomatoes and potatoes, too - it seems to be a semi-common cross allergy with birch pollen. At least there's very little food with raw potatoes, and wearing gloves for peeling them is no big deal.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

onions and garlic make me incredibly sick for about 24 to 48 hours, full on stomach cramping and hot burning guts. I wish they didn't. They're flavor foundations and they taste great. Oh well I can live vicariously through the tasty things I cook for my husband. Onions smell so good when they're browning.

Brussel sprouts are good! Roast 'em up or brown them in a pan. You think you hate a veggie? Caramelize it and try again. If you still hate it you hate it and that's the end of that.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Skratte posted:

Brussel sprouts are good! Roast 'em up or brown them in a pan. You think you hate a veggie? Caramelize it and try again. If you still hate it you hate it and that's the end of that.

My goal is to do that with my boyfriend and his hatred of brussel sprouts. Bacon helps though he ends up picking out the bacon. Otherwise he’s a fairly adventurous eater which I adore and doesn’t buy into that weird carnivore = masculinity thing which, god, a gem.

Greatest food thing I did this year is learn how to make ratatouille and oh wow eggplant owns bones with some za’atar. Everything owns bones with za’atar.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Zaatar goes great with pizza crust. Even the crappy Pizza Hut or whatever. Use the zaatar as a drip.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I am doing lines of za’atar as we speak. Going into the z hole.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

teen witch posted:

My goal is to do that with my boyfriend and his hatred of brussel sprouts. Bacon helps though he ends up picking out the bacon. Otherwise he’s a fairly adventurous eater which I adore and doesn’t buy into that weird carnivore = masculinity thing which, god, a gem.

Greatest food thing I did this year is learn how to make ratatouille and oh wow eggplant owns bones with some za’atar. Everything owns bones with za’atar.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I dislike the texture of onion but dig the flavor. So I don’t want onion in my salad or on a sandwich or burger.

What really gets me is lobster bisque, though. I worked in a grocery store in the seafood department and we would put a bag of bisque into a soup tureen at the beginning of the day, then dump it at the end. Bisque that’s been cooking for 12 hours smells pretty fuckin’ awful.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

The_Continental posted:

My grandmother has a severe IBS related intolerance to all alliums, she hates it. Whenever we go out to dinner with her she'll take ages trying to find something without any in before giving up and accepting she's gonna have a terrible stomach later. Not having garlic or onion isn't worth it.

If you let sliced/chopped raw onions sit in cold slightly salted water for ~15 minutes that takes a lot of the more astringent flavour out and leaves them milder.

If I ever get an ice cream maker I'll try that out, I think it could work. Maybe combine it with orange or some other citrus?

Skratte posted:

GWS has taught me almost every vegetable ever is better when roasted with a little olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. I've done it with sprouts, carrots, parsnips, broccoli, cauliflower and cavolo nero (what kale wishes it could be) to excellent results. Add an unpeeled garlic bulb and that's a whole meal in a tray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

Question for the thread, since I wanna keep expanding my veggies options: what the hell do eggplants taste like? I've been avoiding them for years because I hate summer squashes so much, and I was worried that they'd taste similar. If they do not I should pick one up and give it a go