Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Again, I may have forgotten that bit.

At the very least, Krile might mention Emmeroloth for the sake of the Scions and the people who didn't play Eureka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

YES bread posted:

everyone is so sick of villains with understandable motivations and tragic backstories. "please" theyre crying out, "just let me bunch a dude in a nazi uniform!!!"

lol if you think 'I really enjoy hurting people because my culture and social class selects for nihilistic sadism' is a difficult motivation to wrap your brain around in 2020.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I started an alt. In the cutscene where you pick up your first crystal, you get the “Hear... Feel... Think...” followed by a vision of a starshower.

I know they plan pretty far ahead, but imagine slipping that in only to pay it off nearly ten years later. :aaa:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sinteres posted:

I was waiting for Zenos to snap and murder him, so yeah I'm on team 'he's going to get sick of this poo poo.' I really really hope Zenos isn't actually the primary villain of 6.0 though, since we already played that expansion. That said, we presumably still have to deal with the Empire once and for all at some point, and he's just about the only character left we know (aside from Gaius), so maybe it's inevitable.

I hope the groundwork in 5.4 and 5.5 will be good.

Speculating about what the hub cities in 6.0 will be... is Terncliff a teaser? With the importance of the SoFro being established and its proximity to the Garlean empire itself, I'm still hoping for Radz-at-Han

Cleretic posted:

I think it came up in the all-roles capstone quest, but I don't recall exactly.

Cylva says that Ardbert "granted them that what he refused me," aka death, but no specifics

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 16, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I wanna see Sharlayan.

SHOW ME THE NERDS.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nibble posted:

I started an alt. In the cutscene where you pick up your first crystal, you get the “Hear... Feel... Think...” followed by a vision of a starshower.

I know they plan pretty far ahead, but imagine slipping that in only to pay it off nearly ten years later. :aaa:

That's not really planning ahead, just referencing back to something.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

YES bread posted:

everyone is so sick of villains with understandable motivations and tragic backstories. "please" theyre crying out, "just let me bunch a dude in a nazi uniform!!!"

There was literally an editorial claiming this not long ago. Heh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YES bread posted:

They tried than and then a bunch of people started to agree with the guy in the Nazi uniform so hard they need to make a plotline about his children dying because of his actions to drive home how wrong he was.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

lol if you think 'I really enjoy hurting people because my culture and social class selects for nihilistic sadism' is a difficult motivation to wrap your brain around in 2020.

I have no idea how you're getting this from my post? I was talking about Shadowbringers and how it seems everyone is wore out from complicated villains and wants something straightforward now. what on earth did you think I meant

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

YES bread posted:

I was talking about Shadowbringers and how it seems everyone is wore out from complicated villains and wants something straightforward now.

I gotta say that I haven't heard anything of the sort, if anything, the incredible majority opinion is that the depth of character adds a lot to the experience.

Like hell yeah it's emotionally intense but that doesn't mean I want it to stop.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Urianger's ending scene has much potential

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I really dont think many people are clamoring for the Garlean Empire to be cast in a sympathetic light the way the Ascians were is what I mean

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Bacontotem posted:

Urianger's ending scene has much potential

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Knocked out Puppets' Bunker this evening.

As someone who barely knows anything about Automata, that was a very dull raid. We did what the scantily clad white robot lady said because she assured us she was the good guy. Now we did what the scantily clad black robot lady said because she assured us she was the good guy. Visually, it was also a disappointment. The initial part moving along the wreckage towards the station was neat, but then you fall in and it's just one grey corridor and room after another. Getting to explore the raid area after finishing the raid was again kind of neat, but also reinforced how boring it was and how meaningless the lore blurbs are.

Final boss was weird enough to be worth fighting, but nothing else in that raid was interesting enough to be worth the hassle of fighting through it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Cythereal posted:

Knocked out Puppets' Bunker this evening.

As someone who barely knows anything about Automata, that was a very dull raid. We did what the scantily clad white robot lady said because she assured us she was the good guy. Now we did what the scantily clad black robot lady said because she assured us she was the good guy. Visually, it was also a disappointment. The initial part moving along the wreckage towards the station was neat, but then you fall in and it's just one grey corridor and room after another. Getting to explore the raid area after finishing the raid was again kind of neat, but also reinforced how boring it was and how meaningless the lore blurbs are.

Final boss was weird enough to be worth fighting, but nothing else in that raid was interesting enough to be worth the hassle of fighting through it.

I kind of agree. It was visually not very interesting until the final boss, and the rewards for doing the exploration are super lackluster.

The third raid better have a lot of explanation, too, because it just isn’t explaining itself at all and it’s kind of frustrating

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

YES bread posted:

I really dont think many people are clamoring for the Garlean Empire to be cast in a sympathetic light the way the Ascians were is what I mean

Now, that, I can agree with.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I thought the Nier story this round was pretty nothing as well, but the fights were fun.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

thetoughestbean posted:

because it just isn’t explaining itself at all and it’s kind of frustrating

Congratulations, you have now played a Nier game

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

erenoyo posted:

A Nier game via installments would be pretty annoying.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Still need to watch the NieR stage play and listen to the audio drama

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

erenoyo posted:

I played Nier Automata, I didn’t have to wait six months between endings.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, hopefully the third part has a nice story dump and it'll be something better played all at once.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

thetoughestbean posted:

I kind of agree. It was visually not very interesting until the final boss, and the rewards for doing the exploration are super lackluster.

The third raid better have a lot of explanation, too, because it just isn’t explaining itself at all and it’s kind of frustrating

I agree with the complaints about the Nier raids so far, especially in direct comparison to how they integrated the Ivalice stuff - the latter was done with a lot of work to tie it into the actual world of XIV and set up actual world building for the MMO we're in; meanwhile the Nier raids feel quite disconnected from pretty much everything in the First, let alone the rest of the game. The one thing which gives me (probably false, I admit) hope is that right now the story is sort of holding to the story structure of the actual Nier games.

For those unfamiliar with the titles Nier and Nier Automata have notable "twists" in that the initial progression of the story seems pretty standard and boilerplate. Until you hit a certain point, the plot can be decent and the world building interesting but it's the reframing of context given by the twist that people often find most memorable.

In Nier this happens by letting you hear the voices of your enemies and discover that they're not the mindless aggressive monsters you assumed they were but are intelligent and may actually have just as much a claim to humanity than your viewpoint characters do.

In Nier Automata it happens by first doing something similar to the first game in giving you viewpoints into the things you've been fighting the entire time, but adds onto it by dropping reveals way late into the game that your entire organization and purpose was a fraud and doomed to failure and that your viewpoint players have the same origins as the things you've been fighting the entire time.

I bring this up mostly because what we've gotten from the XIV raids strikes me a lot like the initial story presentation of the Nier games; we're given the most basic of justifications for what's going on and are then thrust into a lot of situations where we solve problems by violence without really asking why we're doing it and who we're doing it to. There remains room in the story to elaborate on exactly what the gently caress is going on and come to a resolution which is, at least, interesting.

To be fair this is going to be a bit of a stretch to wrap up in one raid and maybe two patches worth of story. Additionally, the other games they're trying to reference in XIV aren't memorable just because of their twists - they're memorable because of interesting characters, good world-building, and imaginative and messed up plot events. Right now the XIV raids have none of those, so my optimism is tempered.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The last boss is at least going to be some spectacle.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I am genuinely curious what yoko taro will go with for the 11th hour twist to it all, as well if he’d attempt the equivalent to just deleting our characters. Actually would be a funny raid mechanic if one or two raid parties will have to die just to buff the main party. Also kinda curious where the dwarf story arc is going in nier since that seems like the arc you’d be going with considering how little we’ve gotten with 2P and 2b

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I will point out with the Nier raids that we still don't have an explanation for why all of this is actually happening, and on the First, at that. And I can't picture an explanation for why androids from Earth in the 11000s are on the First that isn't Yoko Taro-level bonkers.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Turns out the First is just another timeline from another Drakengard ending

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

FC Discord pointed this out to me, but look at the side of the Scion Traveler's Jacket

Tataru what do you know

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Did 2B and 9S bring the First that one plague from Neir 1?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The final n3 boss will simply be a raid action of a button that has a 20 second timer. If anyone presses the button, the raid wipes

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

FC Discord pointed this out to me, but look at the side of the Scion Traveler's Jacket

Tataru what do you know

It came to her in a dream

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
those don't look similar at all

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's also called Traveller's gear

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Waffleman_ posted:

Tataru what do you know

That's just scratching the surface https://reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/iac4vz/spoilers_53_the_travelers_glyph/

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

The final n3 boss will simply be a raid action of a button that has a 20 second timer. If anyone presses the button, the raid wipes

quote:

Yoshida showed off a peek of The Puppets Bunker, the second chapter of the YoRHA Dark Apocalypse alliance raid compilation with NieR Automata. They had to adjust it a lot in testing and when they showed it to Yoko Taro he said “Oh if we die, we die, ok? You should make it so that the whole raid wipes if you press this Duty Action.”

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Anora posted:

Did 2B and 9S bring the First that one plague from Neir 1?

I think it's plausible, and could even have more evidence and impact than we expect. We never did get an explanation for the white powdery substance around the end of the Copied Factory, but it matches the substance that caused that plague.

As for the plague... well, mostly it turned people into stone (hello, healer role quest). But among those that survived, many got deep red eyes, ashen features, and unusual abilities. And it's always struck me as curious that the Cardinal Virtues look nothing like other sin eaters...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

If no one presses it everyone gets a gear drop, if one person presses it they get the minion but everyone else dies

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Meiteron posted:

the latter was done with a lot of work to tie it into the actual world of XIV and set up actual world building for the MMO we're in

Was it? Because imo exposition doesn't count if it's done in the most dense and insufferable method possible, with the driest and most insufferable NPCs available.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

It's cool and all that we get this nice, self-affirming moments...

...because most of the time I have no idea what I'm even doing.

I heard Gaius has been regretting his earlier choices.

So why not make him regret his latest ones too?

...man...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, Shiva Unreal battle report for the day. The first two runs ended at 100% when people left without even starting to fight. The second run ended at 80% when the concept of "Turn the sword" and "add phase" passed over people wearing i500 gear.

Run 3 actually went rather well, a new PUG, we got to 20% and died to enrage, no problem. We got to 18% next time but the party wiped. Final run ended at 50% It was a mostly fine run except I'm still not great at tank swapping and also the Raid leader insisted on having the entire raid run north for Sword phase to take the slash. Even after the Sword-Tank said "I can just turn it." Spoilers: No one ran north to take the cleave.

Conclusion: The Enrage is REALLY TIGHT and also if a Raid leader isn't a tank they really shouldn't determine how a tank handles a tank mechanic...