Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheHan posted:

Ok, maybe I'm just stupid but...I don't follow Burke's logic here? He recognizes the young portrait of Dr.Hymn as this lowly dock worker from when he filled in for the human trafficker. But Burke doesn't know that Dr.Hymn has a bunch of clones of himself yet? Does he think Dr.Hymn was that dock worker? The chief says this delivery Burke's recalling was specifically to Dr.Hymn's private estate, but Burke didn't seem like he knew he'd been there before...also the idea that these corrupt officers would only do corrupt cargo runs and even let people fill in for them and log the corrupt runs is kinda stupid, but mainly I'm confused on Burke's revelation here. What's the context in the full page? What are we supposed to think he knows?

I only left out one bit of context (I'll edit it into the post now):

MAYBE he realized that Hymn was cloning himself? It's unclear.

Regardless, he's about to have the entire plot explained to him, so he never needs to work anything out.

Edit: Lol, I just realized something else. The chief says this:

And then here's Burke delivering it:

"Many buyers and transfers before it arrived at [Dr Hymn]" lol oops

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
That just made it more confusing! The only way this works if it Burke realized Hymn had a bunch of clones right there and was using humans as test subjects, otherwise Burke only knows he saw this face a few years ago when Dr.Hymn was already old as hell. From there the he recalls the memory of a cargo run so routine he didn't even recognize the terraformed asteroid he delivered it to...realizes a 40 years younger Hymn bears a striking resemblance to a dockworker he saw a few years ago, so that must mean that he was delivering to Dr.Hymn and that this shipment just had to be humans because the guy who was supposed to handle it was trafficking humans.

The next chapter pretty much has to reveal that cloning has been around long enough in Star Power that even lower rung soldiers like Burke know the signs of it and even that revelation would be really lovely mystery writing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheHan posted:

That just made it more confusing!

Yep!

TheHan posted:

The next chapter pretty much has to reveal that cloning has been around long enough in Star Power that even lower rung soldiers like Burke know the signs of it and even that revelation would be really lovely mystery writing.

It does clarify that cloning is a well-known thing in the setting, but there's still no indication that's what Burke realized. Again from this point on he does no detective work - he is about to be spoon fed the explanation.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

His ability to Detect Evil activated.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It does clarify that cloning is a well-known thing in the setting, but there's still no indication that's what Burke realized. Again from this point on he does no detective work - he is about to be spoon fed the explanation.

Wow, incredible. I know this whole scene is probably just a bit part to make Danica's designated love interest look relevant and have a whole redemption mission, but it's some of the worst mystery writing I've ever seen. Encyclopedia Brown rear end. Scooby-Doo's got a better grasp on the mystery genre than Mookie does.

Zereth posted:

I... Think he's trying to give subtle hints, and then more explicit hints, except he's bad so the first ones weren't subtle at all and it was blatantly obvious they were harvesting DNA samples from the very first time he showed them doing it, for example

And he absolutely thought he was being subtle! Wow!

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I'm not gonna post it but new legacy strips are up. all uploaded already, text heavy again.

:(. Mookie is phoning it in.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

The Little Death posted:

I'm not gonna post it but new legacy strips are up. all uploaded already, text heavy again.

:(. Mookie is phoning it in.

please post it i dont know how to find them and im too old to learn

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Extremly boring. also realizing a pattern here where he knocks these out on the weekend and then takes the week to not plan ahead.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah the Legacy isn't even fun right now, there's nothing to dissect. This side story he's decided to do is really boring.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Yeah there's really nothing much to discuss with this except his tail in the first panel is absolutely confounding me. It looks like a snake trying to read the journal with him. I know we're desensitized to his wandering hip tentacle at this point, but this is ridiculous.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Z6SOlWbds

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I love this dude writing in his journal who's just expositing the same thing over and over again. Just like in starpower, he needs to smash his audience over the head with the plot in case we missed it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The Little Death posted:

I love this dude writing in his journal who's just expositing the same thing over and over again. Just like in starpower, he needs to smash his audience over the head with the plot in case we missed it.
It would have been a lot funnier if Snout had walked on the rug, fallen, discovered whatever he was going to discover with no context, and then maaaaybe found the journal afterwards.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It'd make more sense that way too, instead of him willingly choosing to go in despite looking like he obviously doesn't want to.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's pretty funny that this is perfectly illustrating the exact issue I've just been pointing out in Star Power - faffing about with side stories and padding it out with unnecessary explanation. But at least things HAPPEN in Star Power, and the art is decent.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

The Little Death posted:

Extremly boring. also realizing a pattern here where he knocks these out on the weekend and then takes the week to not plan ahead.

Yeah he started doing this more the closer he got to the weeklong break, and now that he's back it's been every week since. At first I thought he was just excited to get to the events he actually had in mind but now I think he just isn't that into this comic anymore.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Pretty soon his personal patreon will be his only income. It's possible that's causing him anxiety and killing his motivation.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I better go into this dark scary place to maybe save someone?

Friends? What friends? I don't have any friends who the last I saw were scared and in danger!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Shoulda just had the diary read "Itchy. Tasty." and called it a day.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

There's a difference between "highly curious" and "suicidally oblivious", mookie.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Regalingualius posted:

There's a difference between "highly curious" and "walking sim protagonist", mookie.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I was prepping this tonight and I was gonna post it tomorrow, but in light of the very boring week of updates ahead I figured the thread would appreciate it a bit early.

Chapter 5.4

Guest cover again!

The singer forces Burke to come with him. Question: Why does he insist Burke help him? He doesn’t know who Burke is, and he doesn’t know Burke discovered Hymn’s secret - he just chose him randomly. And why does he needs Burke’s help? He’s got a gun already. Burke is just some guy.

Well, we’ll probably find out soon, right? We don't. He never helps.

Oops! Things get more complicated, and stunned bodies are piling up like a pile of guards when you’re cheesing a stealth game.

Finally, we’ll get an explanation of… Wait, this is just review of information we already know! You spent like 4 pages telling us this last issue, Mookie!

Again, ANOTHER page of review. Teacher, will this be on the test?

And after another half a page, FINALLY, we’re getting to some explana-

God drat it.

The doctors start to get down. Why was Hymn surprised by her stripping? HE was the one coming on to her earlier… Also that dialogue from Brightman, yikes, lol.

Uh oh! They’ve posed the bodies like Burke got drunk and it was all his fault. (They also drugged Burke so he slurs his speech and can’t explain what happened.) Pretty sloppy, there’s no way anyone would fall for -

Oh.

Danica… You are real dumb.

OH MY GOD SOMEONE HERE DOES HAVE A BRAIN

But to no avail. You loving morons. You absolute imbeciles.

Just want to spoil a bit here: if this story was left up to these idiots making good decisions, and the stupid and accidental things that are about to happen to advance the plot didn’t happen, Dr. Hymn would get away with this. The only reason the good guys win, or even learn there’s a plot to begin with, is accidental.

Well, Garth also wins, because he gets to draw boobs.

I’m actually ok with Dr. Brightman getting down with Dr. Hymn. It’s entirely casual and she’s the one that initiates it, they both enjoy it, and while of course it turns out to be a bad idea because he’s the bad guy, she’s never punished or shamed for having sex with him. A good depiction of sex! Kudos, Mookie.

It’s the last one I’ll give him this chapter.

They start the experiment on Star Power’s hair, and something awful starts happening to Danica.

Back to the two doctors… If you thought things were dumb before, they get much, much worse.

So what happens here is that Dr. Hymn has decided because he and Dr. Brightman had sex, and it was really good, she is his soulmate and he can bare his soul to her, and she’ll accept whatever he shows her because of their connection.

Before this, Dr. Hymn has been a supervillain, sure, but he’s been a decently smart one. He knows to hide his deeds because any reasonable person would object to him. But suddenly he wants to share them with Brightman, despite the OBVIOUS fact that she would react badly. He doesn’t do this because it’s in his character to do so, he does it because the plot has decided it is time for the villain explanation and Mookie couldn’t think of another way to do it.

So I decided from this point on, this is a different character. This character is no longer Dr. Hymn.

He is now Doctor Robotnik.

Danica update: still in horrible pain.

Finally, we’re going to learn Robotnik’s secret!

Ohhh main, I can’t wait… What is it?

Yep, it’s clones.

And the day is saved by… Uh, this guy! Not any of our heroes, clearly.

And we end with the cliffhanger – they were, of course, cloning Danica, but her body formed in just a few minutes instead of the weeks it should have taken. Ruh roh!

Ok, now that the chapter is over, we get one final epilogue page, and this is why I’ve been beating the drum about the “mystery” of the clones. I present it with no commentary. I hope you find it as funny as I did.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What a bunch of clowns

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bonus page!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
pretty hosed up how mookie couldn't even keep track of how many snouts he drew in the last panel... Come on mookie, are those supposed to be his long lost twins wearing the same overalls or what? :jerkbag: :smuggo:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Sadly, I don't think Mookie thinks his readers are idiots. He's writing his little heart out to make the cleverest plot he can think of each time.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Agreed. I think the problem is - among other things - that Mookie thinks he is a genius. I honestly think he cares about his comics and thinks the stories he tells are good, powerful, and Matter with a capital 'M.' I also, however, do think half-asses it sometimes - like most of the run in the Legacy of Dominic Deegan. I don't think this is because he doesn't care - because like I said, I think he cares very much - or even that he doesn't respect his audience. I think, if anything, it's either cognitive dissonance and he just doesn't let that bother him, or more likely that he has such an inflated sense of his own artistic abilities that he believes even half of his effort and skill is more than enough to tell a compelling and meaningful story.

Frieza doesn't even need to use 80% of his true power to defeat you.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

This dumb Dr. Hymn plot would at least be a bit interesting if Mookie had cut out all of the 'subtle foreshadowing' and just let the reader figure out certain things as the character did.

I actually don't mind him getting super attached to Dr. Brightman, because he's clearly a weird, detached narcissist and views everyone only in how they relate to him personally, so I could see him deciding no, actually, she's a supporting character to his glory because she's a hot, intelligent woman who had sex with him. He hides what he's doing because he knows people would disapprove, but he also clearly doesn't think he's done anything wrong, and she's done nothing but fluff his ego the entire time he's known her (not very long at all). Furthermore, he's socially isolated by design, which lets him get even more detached from how other people would view this since he set all this up.

The part that makes absolutely no sense is if he's that kind of narcissist idiot, and he's so famous and has so many fans, this clearly should have happened before and he should have learned from last time he had to hide a body.

EDIT: Like, I don't hate the genre of 'mystery in an isolated area with progressively more absurd reveals'. Mookie is just bad at it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

This is the funniest poo poo he's ever written, oh my god. "WE HID THE SECRET A LITTLE TOO WELL :smug:" Yeah buddy, you sure did.

Otherwise? Yeesh what a mess this story is turning into. Ignoring the Burke thing (Even though he still hasn't put together that they're clones, so last chapter he just went berserk on some Riddler poo poo), Danica was supposed to look for knowledge before violence and show compassion to people who wouldn't return the favor. This isn't even a convincing setup in-universe and Danica is over that love and compassion poo poo. She's still human and yeah she's been hurt, but drat he did less damage than the Blue Lady and you heard her out at least. Then the rogue clone comes back immediately (why'd they keep him alive?) and picks up right where we left off. They're even in the same spot as the end of the last chapter, the entire issue was a waste. I at least expected a long scene explaining why the chief wasn't about to head over there and arrest Hymn for trafficking humans for years.

Also if the clones know they're clones why do they hang around each other with the masks on, besides to not let the audience know they're clones.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 17, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I didn't include the page for brevity's sake, but the good clone escaped during one of the power outages caused by the Star Power clone.

TheHan posted:

Also if the clones know they're clones why do they hang around each other with the masks on, besides to not let the audience know they're clones.

Eh they're all brainwashed, so they probably do that to normalize their mask use so they always do it in public and conceal the secret (lol).

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 17, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Eh they're all brainwashed, so they probably do that to normalize their mask use so they always do it in public and conceal the secret (lol).
Dr. Hymn doesn't want to see his own young face when he's gotten old. It's the stupidest possible reason, and thus, my bet.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I was more confused why the good clone didn't get two to the head the second they caught him, since clones are so disposable that Hymn will ice one the minute they flunk their audition. Typing it out now I'm almost certain the excuse would be they wanted him alive to re-indoctrinate him into the choir. The normalize thing? Yeah ok I can buy that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

PetraCore posted:

Dr. Hymn doesn't want to see his own young face when he's gotten old. It's the stupidest possible reason, and thus, my bet.

Nah he's got that giant plot device portrait of his young self on the wall

Also who is Dr. Hymn? This is Robotnik.

TheHan posted:

I was more confused why the good clone didn't get two to the head the second they caught him, since clones are so disposable that Hymn will ice one the minute they flunk their audition. Typing it out now I'm almost certain the excuse would be they wanted him alive to re-indoctrinate him into the choir. The normalize thing? Yeah ok I can buy that.

It occured to me I couldn't remember offhand, so here you go:

The answer is "they are dumb"

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 17, 2020

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ok, now that the chapter is over, we get one final epilogue page, and this is why I’ve been beating the drum about the “mystery” of the clones. I present it with no commentary. I hope you find it as funny as I did.

...what the gently caress do numbers have to do with clones?

Like, Doctor Hymn is music villain, right? Wouldn't it have make more sense to hide a message in a sheet of music or something? Like, the music doesn't have to be great or anything, most people will get what you were going for.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m guessing that he wants to transfer his consciousness into one of his youthful clones so he can effectively live forever, but for whatever reason, he’s been incompatible with them... And Danica’s clone somehow presents an opportunity to finally bridge the gap.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I realize Star Power isn't supposed to be a detective but it's loving hilarious that the only reason this painfully obvious conspiracy is finally being revealed is that the villain decided to reveal it to the last woman he boned. Dr. Brightman must be really good.

Also, Dr. Hymn is such a bad name. I just keep thinking he's the Doctor Who equivalent to Robert Cop.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Also, two things:

One, he could have explained the whole "why does Burke mention that he met a dude that looked like a young Hymn and not think about THAT part" thing with just having Burke assume that dude was Hymn's son. That simple. It should have at least come up as a simple red herring, it was like the first thing you would think of.

Second, Hymn is having the clones audition, right? Why, though? You clearly aren't raising them from childhood, they're grown to prime age right there in the tubes as we can see. They must have their knowledge and such pre-programmed. You should thus also be able to program them with the knowledge of how to sing exactly how he'd like.

I assumed earlier that Hymn was finding people who had the skills to sing the way he wanted, and then genetically altering them to be his clones, possibly brainwashing them, possibly consensual alternations, because they're devoted to him and are willing to do that. It could be an interesting plot, a cult of personality so devoted to this dude that they willingly get turned into him for his choir. Obviously too complicated for Mookie, but like...

This is so loving baby's first writing it hurts.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
On the one hand Danica flying off the handle is one of the rare times a Mookie protagonist has ever been wrong, so there's that.

But it's so forced. Like she instantly leaps to the conclusion that there's no foul play here, nope, Burke is a drunk idiot who hurts people, that's it.

Maybe there's a demon causing it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Uh oh! They’ve posed the bodies like Burke got drunk and it was all his fault. (They also drugged Burke so he slurs his speech and can’t explain what happened.) Pretty sloppy, there’s no way anyone would fall for -

I can't get over how dumb this plan is.

From the bad guys perspective, Burke was talking to the rogue clone for an unspecified amount of time and it has to be assumed that he knows literally everything about their operation (he doesn't, because Mookie, but he absolutely could have). Yeah, they drugged/splashed whiskey on him, but they didn't wipe his memory. As soon as he gets his poo poo together, there's nothing stopping him from publicly outing them to all his cop friends.

Their "clever" ruse has a lifespan measured in minutes, at best. in the end it fundamentally doesn't matter, because plot shenanigans are about to make it moot, but the bad guys can't know that.

It's so loving lazy and dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Kurui Reiten posted:

I assumed earlier that Hymn was finding people who had the skills to sing the way he wanted, and then genetically altering them to be his clones, possibly brainwashing them, possibly consensual alternations, because they're devoted to him and are willing to do that. It could be an interesting plot, a cult of personality so devoted to this dude that they willingly get turned into him for his choir. Obviously too complicated for Mookie, but like...

This is so loving baby's first writing it hurts.

Wait til you find out the reason Robotnik ordered the load of human cargo, it's pretty lol.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Their "clever" ruse has a lifespan measured in minutes, at best. in the end it fundamentally doesn't matter, because plot shenanigans are about to make it moot, but the bad guys can't know that.

It's so loving lazy and dumb.

I think in the next update I'm going to count the number of ways Robotnik is utterly hosed, all at the exact same time on this one day, all totally independently. He's like the anti-Ozymandias.