Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sharkopath posted:

Its really cool, i like it and owl house a lot as action adventure fantasy.

Those and ducktales and craig of the creek are my picks for best cartoon shows right now.

Those four plus Infinity Train and Mao Mao are the ones I've been keeping track of. It's a weird feeling to me that Disney currently has probably the best lineup of cartoons out of the three major cartoon channels, because when I was a kid in the late 90s/early 00s, Disney was a distant third to Nick and Cartoon Network. CN spent a long time riding high in the 10's with Adventure Time and all the shows the creative talent behind it spawned, and Nick's just fallen off the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I have thought for eight goddamn years now that an amazing twist would have been that Amon absolutely was given energybending by the spirits, but he was supposed to use it to give everyone bending, and he did the opposite because of his own personal trauma.

I've sometimes wondered if attempting to artificially give people bending might have been a villain plot worth exploring (either to raise a world-conquering army, or just for ethically questionable scientific progress). After all, even with the Equalist leader outed as a fraud and the reforms implemented after their defeat, the attitudes that let them get going in the first place wouldn't necessarily go away (meaning that finding volunteers wouldn't be much of a challenge).

YggiDee posted:

I think Avatar was an excellent cartoon that should stay an excellent cartoon. How many good live action remakes of cartoons have there been? Would there be stunt doubles for all of the martial arts? How many child actors are also grandmasters of Chu Gar style Southern Praying Mantis? The special effects budget would be a nightmare

The only live-action remake that could reasonably be counted as an improvement is the 2016 Jungle Book, and that's only because the original was basically bits and pieces of Kipling's book loosely assembled into a coherent narrative. Avatar was so well done, both visually and story-wise, that it would be an incredibly tough act to follow - even if everyone involved sincerely cared about making the best work they possibly can (as opposed to yet another cheap shot at name recognition), it's not that likely that they'd end up doing the original justice.

quote:

Actually here's the thing, I don't think you can really keep the same tone as the show, with the characters as the same age, in a live action series. Like, Avatar is an adventure series with Serious Themes, but it's an optimistic show with a strong humor base and I think all of the child violence would be a lot more uncomfortable if I were watching it happen to an actual twelve-year-old.

The comments in certain articles about the Netflix execs allegedly wanting to cram in more sex and violence certainly don't help matters. Nor does the general attitude of "dark and gritty equals more mature" that's infected big chunks of the TV and film industry (see also: Star Trek: Picard).

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Senerio posted:

She seems to just be a very good friend.

Please, Luz and Amity are obviously enchanted dance partners. It said so on Disney's Twitter, so it must be true!

kidcoelacanth posted:

i feel like i should watch amphibia
Highly recommended, the latest episode was another loving top notch work from Matt Braly and team. They went somewhere totally different than what I expected for a hyped character reveal and it still owned all the same. Funny though how The Owl House had a double feature two weeks ago and I guess the reason was that Disney didn't want the two competing for social media buzz so one had to get its big episode out of the way sooner. Amphibia's wasn't even that hyped other than by Braly himself.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ruflux posted:

Please, Luz and Amity are obviously enchanted dance partners. It said so on Disney's Twitter, so it must be true!

Highly recommended, the latest episode was another loving top notch work from Matt Braly and team. They went somewhere totally different than what I expected for a hyped character reveal and it still owned all the same. Funny though how The Owl House had a double feature two weeks ago and I guess the reason was that Disney didn't want the two competing for social media buzz so one had to get its big episode out of the way sooner. Amphibia's wasn't even that hyped other than by Braly himself.

Yeah, Braly's doing a lot of heavy lifting for the show's marketing on twitter and I think doing a pretty good job of it. He's a good social media follow.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

hot take: zuko and katara should have gotten together

and am i the only one that thought it was kind of weird that aang and katara were made a pair despite aang being noticeably younger than her? i'm generally a fan of the two lead male/female characters falling in love, but this is one of the few cases where it didn't sit right with me.

Cockmaster posted:

The comments in certain articles about the Netflix execs allegedly wanting to cram in more sex and violence certainly don't help matters. Nor does the general attitude of "dark and gritty equals more mature" that's infected big chunks of the TV and film industry (see also: Star Trek: Picard).

wait what? they wanted to include sex and such in an avatar adaptation?? :wtc:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Ruflux posted:

Did they dance under a Blood Moon?

Mr Interweb posted:

hot take: zuko and katara should have gotten together

and am i the only one that thought it was kind of weird that aang and katara were made a pair despite aang being noticeably younger than her? i'm generally a fan of the two lead male/female characters falling in love, but this is one of the few cases where it didn't sit right with me.

wait what? they wanted to include sex and such in an avatar adaptation?? :wtc:

There was also talk about aging-up the characters so it wouldn't be as weird.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like the writers got way too into the shipping aspect during the first Avatar, which is why they had to confirm the romance by the end as well as make a good 40% of Korra season 1 and maybe like 30% of the rest of the show about awkward romance subplots that they couldn't leave resolved as the show got renewed.

Although maybe that's just my personal feelings where I don't really care that much for shipping, and the whole the will they won't they or will they get with this one or that one bit. It's the characters' own fuckin' business who they're gonna get with.

It is weird to tell a big story about 12 year old finding his one true romance, but the weird thing is not that his partner is a 14 year old.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Amity is now transparently into Luce to an extreme degree. It's almost a bit much despite the events of last episode

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It's great

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm only three episodes into Book 2, but so far the romance has felt fairly organic. Aang needs that romantic love to anchor his attachment to humanity, give weight to when he tries to let go for the sake of the Avatar State.
Sokka's romance with Yue was kinda eh, but it's more part of systemic issues with how the Northern Water Tribe trilogy was made.
The final bit so far is Mai just being attracted to Zuko, which is fair, look at that dude.

I can put myself back in 2005 and see how folks would ship Zuko and Katara together, but it's kinda amazing how the show remains solid in not giving shippers a single inch. Zuko acts like a sweaty loving creep when he blackmails Katara with the necklace, she hates it, and then they kinda shittalk each other once or twice when not in the same, or immediately try to kill each other when they are. What really surprised me was when the bounty hunter lady shows up and goes "Aww, is that your giiiiiiiiiirlfriend??" Zuko doesn't react at all, nor does Iroh jump in to joke about that, when the show never pulls its punches when it can dunk on Zuko.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

it may be a silly thing, but i didn't think aang and katara were gonna get together based off the episode with the fortune teller. when she tells katara that she would marry a 'very powerful bender', being very specific in not identifying either a name or the kind of bender, i figured it had to be zuko. i mean, sure, aang's a powerful bender, but wouldn't that be a little TOO obvious? but no, i guess i was obvious after all.

MorningMoon posted:

The final bit so far is Mai just being attracted to Zuko, which is fair, look at that dude.

yes, but that doesn't explain why zuko was into mai :v:

and thanks for reminding me, i really didn't like that particular relationship either. but i'm biased cause i didn't really like mai very much to begin with

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

it may be a silly thing, but i didn't think aang and katara were gonna get together based off the episode with the fortune teller. when she tells katara that she would marry a 'very powerful bender', being very specific in not identifying either a name or the kind of bender, i figured it had to be zuko. i mean, sure, aang's a powerful bender, but wouldn't that be a little TOO obvious? but no, i guess i was obvious after all.

yes, but that doesn't explain why zuko was into mai :v:

and thanks for reminding me, i really didn't like that particular relationship either. but i'm biased cause i didn't really like mai very much to begin with

The fortune teller also said that everyone could make their own fortune. She wasn't describing things completely set in stone. Aang and Katara ending up together was because they liked each other throughout their journey and wait a loving second i'm not having a kataang vs zutara argument fifteen years later.

Zuko being into Mai seems to be entirely teen hormones and it further filling Zuko's idea of a perfect life as the Fire Nation's prince. In the post-finale comics they broke up again pretty quick and don't seem to be getting back together any time soon.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So is this where I start posting pages from How I Became Yours* and drag the whole thread screaming into hell?

*either the original or the parody rewrite

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Looks like people who have been itching for Owl House to get back to Eda's story will be in for a treat.

https://twitter.com/DanaTerrace/status/1295141990246490118

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

So is this where I start posting pages from How I Became Yours* and drag the whole thread screaming into hell?

*either the original or the parody rewrite

I've never heard of this, what is it?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I've never heard of this, what is it?

An infamously awful Avatar fan comic

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

An infamously awful Avatar fan comic

well you can't just leave it at that :colbert:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It had awful writing (like, even the font and grammar were atrocious), characters were constantly off-model, and... something about Mai gouging out her eyes? I just remember scrolling past it when it was being posted in BYOB’s webcomics thread.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The most insane part about the comic was the "art style". It was barely drawn, it was traced from a wild mix of the show, telenovelas, and Google Image Search. It's one of best Bad Fanfic things because it is so much effort for something that's so bad it's good.

I have no clue if the original is even hosted somewhere but someone post the turtleduck.

fake edit: Found a rehost:

mycot fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 17, 2020

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Also, Zuko was cursed to randomly lose one of his arms

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Interweb posted:

I need to find that piece of fanart which has the obvious conclusion that she marries Bender

Shipping goggles wreck people pretty badly but the dynamics are more interesting when you look at it as a whole. Katara is openly hostile to Zuko because he's been an agent of a hostile foreign power which has been waging open war on her people as long as she can remember and killed her own mother, and her best friend and last hope personally; that Zuko acknowledges her feelings are completely valid and works to works to make it up to her on her terms is what defines their relationship. If anything, Katara ends up being something of a sister figure to Zuko that Azula never managed to be, since despite (or perhaps because of) having good reasons to hate and distrust Zuko she acts reasonably and equitably with him, while Azula openly manipulates him to the point where he can't ever take anything she says or does at face value, even when Azula actually seems to want to get along with him.

For all Zuko's talk about honour, it takes him embarrassingly long to realise it doesn't matter an iota to someone who's not acting in good faith- but on the flipside, it DOES matter in the context of dealing with people who are, and basically comes down to 'effort counts as long as you show it'.

Also kinda lol that Zuko and Mai's relationship is based on 'teenage hormones' when the entire point is that each of them is basically the only person in the world they can actually relax around and are on the same wavelength.

The age thing is weird but can almost just be pegged to anime/cartoon/YA fiction stuff, and that they literally fought in a war and pretty much everyone in the show had to grow up fast, Aang and Katara most of all. (arguably, Katara stopped being a kid the day she saw her mother die, works for Batman) That and the quasi-medieval setting.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like the writers got way too into the shipping aspect during the first Avatar, which is why they had to confirm the romance by the end as well as make a good 40% of Korra season 1 and maybe like 30% of the rest of the show about awkward romance subplots that they couldn't leave resolved as the show got renewed.

Although maybe that's just my personal feelings where I don't really care that much for shipping, and the whole the will they won't they or will they get with this one or that one bit. It's the characters' own fuckin' business who they're gonna get with.

It is weird to tell a big story about 12 year old finding his one true romance, but the weird thing is not that his partner is a 14 year old.

It's weird how much the original Avatar worked precisely because Bryke went into it with no idea what "shipping" is. It's like there's an inverse relationship with how much the creators plan around it and how the community receives it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love Avatar but the ship wars were insufferable, and the older I get the less I care about the romantic entanglements of teenagers.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Azula and her crew were basically highschool archetypes and never really seemed to fit right to me.

Which I guess is another layer of horror that Azula had going for her, the way that her motivations and methods were so different from everybody else.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Apparently Infinity Train season four is very much in limbo currently, staff's nearly all been laid off according to Owen Dennis so uhh, watch it on HBO Max if you can and post on Twitter I guess:
https://twitter.com/OweeeeenDennis/status/1295137670499168256
https://twitter.com/OweeeeenDennis/status/1295138449977040896
https://twitter.com/OweeeeenDennis/status/1295182233221738497

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Azula and her crew were basically highschool archetypes and never really seemed to fit right to me.

Which I guess is another layer of horror that Azula had going for her, the way that her motivations and methods were so different from everybody else.

I think it makes more sense when you look at the backgrounds. Azula, Tai Lee and Mai are all Fire Nation nobility, but took to their upbringings in completely different ways. Mai was outwardly complicit while internalising a cynicism towards her role in life and related topics (and possibly taking ninja training on the side), while Tai Lee is an outright runaway dragged back from the circus into action using the skills she's learned. The Fire Nation is the imperial, colonial power in this setting, and the characters reflect that, being representatives of the stability and luxury you'd expect from say, British schoolboys of classic pulp literature/penny dreadfuls.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

My favourite shipping ending to a series is Digimon. It jumps ahead ten years and most of the main characters have gotten together with people that never appeared in the show, instead of marrying whoever they knew when they were all twelve years old.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just finished S2 of Infinity Train (binged the last 4 eps in one go, and dang. :suspense: that death!

I love the inner workings of the train and its world. Like, we basically got told about it all in S1, but it’s still such a big mystery. The Horizon Zero Dawn-esque tape beasts! I’m glad MT got out alive, although how she deals with the real world/how it deals with her is a fascinating story we might never see?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Just finished Zuko Alone in my rewatch. Zuko gives off so many signs of the many things in his childhood that traumatized him. Abuse from so many angles

but that's nerd poo poo

Earth Rumble 6! I'm gonna call the promotion itself just Promotion. ER6 is an interesting card; a whole 'tournament' of the entire main roster to decide the number one contender and immediately give him a titleshot. It works in these shoot matches, since it's less wrestling or boxing where you can get gassed due to how much is expected from how, and more like an MMA match where one quick hit decides it. The Boulder fighting King Hippo to start makes me think that Boulder had just lost the belt, which fits how the kids said he was "going to win the title back", and thus got put at the bottom of the rankings.

The roster itself is interesting. King Hippo from Punch Out, followed by comedy jobber foreigner, and then that mole man, a luchador, i think one more dude, and a buffer high flyer probably a Hardy. They all fight very, very interestingly. I am bummed that the highflyers seem to job the hardest here, tho, while Hippo and the mole man look like they could really hold their own in realer fights. The only one doing 'traditional' earth bending was The Boulder. Flashy stuff, of course, but mostly his gimmick seemed to be that he's a babyface who is very strong and very handsome. Like the Iconic THE BOULDER FEELS CONFLICTED ABOUT FIGHTING A LITTLE BLIND GIRL is fun and dumb, but shows his character does care about doing what's right. Speaking of character, Toph raises her pitch during trash talk, really selling being a girl for max salt.

God at some point Boulder does a kneedrop that feels straight fro Kinnikuman.

The town it all goes down in is pretty interesting, too. Thriving economically to have that earthbending teacher who can just hand out uniforms, a lot of money going around their indie wrestling promotion. People detached enough from the war to just casually go "so, avatar, when do you think it'll be over?", as well as these carnies being so carny that they'll sell out the Avatar for money.

I'd love a floppy-sized comic about Toph discovering the Promotion and choosing to join. Her bit of happiness and how she got the belt before the true light that pulls her out of the dark arrives.

Also, everyone involved in this episode is loving COWARDS for not letting Toph be a masked wrestler. That dinner scene was written with her being masked at ER6 in mind and the cowards thought that having a mask when she's truly being free while a symbolic mask is worn with her family would be too on the nose, and they were wrong, it would've been cool.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

MorningMoon posted:

THE BOULDER FEELS CONFLICTED ABOUT FIGHTING A LITTLE BLIND GIRL

I would like more cartoons with Mick Foley doing his best Rock impersonation. Please. Someone. Make it happen?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/DanaTerrace/status/1294848978530385920

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

MorningMoon posted:

Just finished Zuko Alone in my rewatch. Zuko gives off so many signs of the many things in his childhood that traumatized him. Abuse from so many angles

but that's nerd poo poo

You wish that was what was nerdy about this post.

I think Zuko Alone stands out to me as one of the first episodes that I couldn't catch when it aired on TV and I had to watch on Youtube. Ultimately that would lead to me being totally unable to find the show on TV after Day of the Black Sun, and having to finish the series months later on DVD.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 18, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Everybody talks about the similarity to Pacifica in Owl House, but Amphibia has the best character from Gravity Falls. Grappling Hook. Okay, crossbow, close enough.

Marcy seems like one of those overpowered isekai protagonists really using her Earth know-how to get ahead in the world. The way she remarked on Sprig's color, makes me wonder if there's some significance to Sprig and Polly's missing parents (and presumably Hop Pop's son or daughter?).

Sinister Keith David could mean anything, but if the royalty of Newtopia turn out to be bad, then it's sure convenient that Grimes and Sasha are already poised to depose them. 3 factions for the 3 human friends. I guess the real proof of whether Anne and Marcy's friendship will prevail will be if Marcy FINALLY GETS ANNE A SHOE TO GO OVER THAT BARE SOCK.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
With her explicitly saying "found family trope" I was half-expecting her to say the words "isekai" or "uplift" but I guess that would have been too inaccessible

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Watched Owl House. Nth-ing that the pacing is kind of wonky, and it definitely feels like Luz has been on the Isles long enough that "camp" should be over in like a week, tops. However, I pretty much accepted that I shouldn't think too hard about the passage of time after Luz and King wrote ~2.5 novels between them in as many days, including enough time for King to become a bestseller.

Honestly my biggest complaint is that I'm calling bullshit on Luz not knowing what a ballista is. Also, after realizing that all the other magic schools are named after body parts, I'm pretty sure I know where on the Isles Hexside is. It's butts. The answer is butts. :v:

In conclusion, Amity is great. More Amity please.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Agreed, more Amity.

The revelation that Lilith used to wear big round glasses is making Eda's flashback about being cursed a little more interesting.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Forget Amity, we need more characters interacting with Hooty, the real star of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Forget Amity, we need more characters interacting with Hooty, the real star of the show.

There's gonna be a Hooty unbound episode where he's able to move about independent of the house and it'll be hilarious/horrifying.