Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

Important announcement, I have discovered that there is apparently some kind of biochemical reaction that may be specific to only me in which the combination of popcorn and Drambuie results in a flavor profile that is distinctly reminiscent of Round Table pizza crust.

It is so specific and so accurate that it may actually serve to assuage my cravings when I'm thousands of miles from the nearest Round Table.

Esthers are weird mang. If you put balsamico vinegar on fresh mozzarella you can get something that smells like bananas.

Edit: and it’s also perceived differently by different persons. Some people can’t smell the fruity notes in wheat beer, and whether cilantro tastes like soap to you is genetical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

Data Graham posted:

I've been trying belatedly to experience just about every possible spirit or liqueur and every variant of gin and tequila and whiskey etc. just so I know what the flavor/history/mythos deal is, but vodka just seems completely pointless unless your sole purpose is to get drunk as efficiently as possible. Surely there's something I'm missing

Cocktail Codex on Vodka. Not saying I agree, but the real cocktail nerds seem to find something there (or have gotten a lot of money from Absolut)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Barbelith posted:

Cocktail Codex on Vodka. Not saying I agree, but the real cocktail nerds seem to find something there (or have gotten a lot of money from Absolut)

I don't know, while there's certainly a pretty low floor for quality vodka, there's also an incredibly low ceiling. You don't have to spend a lot before you're basically hitting 'as good as vodka gets', and even at that really high end the flavor differences are incredibly subtle and would be washed away by basically anything with stronger flavors than a vodka-forward martini. I think Vodka's in a weird place in the bar world in that it serves a purpose and it's a staple of the art, but you really have to reach to talk about it in the same way we talk about whiskey, rum, ect. More than anything I think bartenders want vodka to be regarded the same way the other base spirits are but it really does involve a lot of stretching to get there, imo.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yeah, I think Cocktail Codex is a great book but you can feel them straining to fill a page about vodka there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just think that if you want to appreciate subtle flavours in a clear liquor and you don't like gin, white rum already exists.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anytime I have a vodka drink, even a Moscow mule, I wish I'd had something better. Only exception is Bloody Marys.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
A bloody mary is much better with tequila, though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

While I can tell the difference between different vodkas in a taste of the neat spirits, I've never been able to identify different vodka in cocktails unless something horrid is used. As long as you're using something average or better like Stolichnaya, the taste differences will be imperceptible and the quality of the drink will come down more to the other ingredients. My favorite bar usually just uses Russian Standard or Wodka.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

My favorite bar.

Man I miss those.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

While I can tell the difference between different vodkas in a taste of the neat spirits, I've never been able to identify different vodka in cocktails unless something horrid is used. As long as you're using something average or better like Stolichnaya, the taste differences will be imperceptible and the quality of the drink will come down more to the other ingredients. My favorite bar usually just uses Russian Standard or Wodka.

Yeah Vodka has the lowest difference in quality from say 30 bucks plus but the biggest between like 10 and 20. Just basically get a handle of Titos and save it for bloody marries and weird infusion stuff. I don't like Tequila in my Bloody Marries the fruitiness of good tequila is lost and the burns worse with crappy tequilla

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 18, 2020

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
https://www.eater.com/2019/10/16/20893218/titos-handmade-vodka-craft-spirit

quote:

Few know what actually goes on behind the doors at Tito’s Mockingbird Distillery — when Forbes visited in 2013, its photographer was directed “away from massive buildings containing ten floor-to-ceiling stills” — and the company is famously tight-lipped about its production process beyond what’s on its labels or website, like that its vodka is distilled from corn. Tito’s has been sued repeatedly over its claims of being handmade, however. In 2015, a consumer filed a class action lawsuit against the company, claiming that he discovered the process was “highly automated” and he had been deceived by the label into paying a higher price. The suit was settled last year for an undisclosed sum, so no additional information about Tito’s processes emerged from the litigation. According to beverage lawyer Robert Lehrman, “It appears that Tito has done a wonderful job defending the lawsuits, and keeping lawsuit discovery-type information confidential.” (Tito’s and its parent company Fifth Generation did not respond to repeated requests for comment about its production process.)

Based on the sheer quantity of Tito’s output, however, its vodka is almost certainly made by re-distilling pre-made grain neutral spirit, or GNS, an industrial high-proof alcohol produced in massive distilleries by large agribusiness firms. (It’s also referred to as neutral grain spirit or NGS; the terms are interchangeable.) Many vodkas start this way, even organic ones: By working with ready-made alcohol, a brand doesn’t need to concern itself with the materials and labor required to produce a spirit from seed to shotglass, like sourcing grain or creating a mash.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Easiest way to tell someone doesn't know what they're talking about: see if they specify a particular vodka for their vodka soda at a bar. It'll almost always be Tito's when they have cheaper vodka.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wonderful. Was Tito's started by the people behind Noka Chocolate? http://dallasfood.org/2006/12/noka-chocolate-part-1/

e: lol no way, the guy's name is literally Tito Beveridge

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not sure what a handmade spirit even means. Like does it matter if somebody pours a bucket of grain into a vat of mash by hand?

I recall someone here or in the whiskey thread talking about Craft Distilleries that have what is basically a fake showroom, while all their product is made by MGP's factory in Indiana.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not sure what a handmade spirit even means. Like does it matter if somebody pours a bucket of grain into a vat of mash by hand?

I recall someone here or in the whiskey thread talking about Craft Distilleries that have what is basically a fake showroom, while all their product is made by MGP's factory in Indiana.

I did a tour of the St. Augustine Distillery and I think that's what people except. A big still (pot stills in this case, plus a smaller still for gin) that gets fed by hand and cleaned out between each batch, then aged in barrels in the exact same building. It's all made carefully in small batches rather than being a continuous industrial product, and definitely not MGP whiskey that uses careful labeling to disguise itself as a unique brand.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's an open secret that Tito's uses MGP for the low wines and does the second distillation on site so they can claim it's distilled on site

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
For the record, I’m fine with the practice of non distilling producers, but I have big issues with alcohol advertising in general. transparency on the packaging itself and in the marketing is a large part of that. To be honest, it should be restricted like tobacco products - I’m sick of all the fancy looking bottles and the glorification of imbibing seen in commercials. They should not be allowed commercials at all. It’s a big ethical hang up of mine and one important reason why I’m not itching to get back behind the stick.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Data Graham posted:

e: lol no way, the guy's name is literally Tito Beveridge

Master Blender of Johnnie Walker is Dr. Jim Beveridge.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

zmcnulty posted:

Master Blender of Johnnie Walker is Dr. Jim Beveridge.

Yorba Linda Fire Water District

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
First video i watch after that Tito's Vodka post above

Which 5 bottles to have in a 5 bottle bar, Tito's "handmade" Vodka is shown as #2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z_lq5qHz0g

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
There is blind taste test video by Playboy and their expert picked Popov as his favorite.

https://youtu.be/yCrKjZrg-eA

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Isn't the X Bottle Bar like an ongoing thing that's constantly changing the given bottles?

Edit: I'm thinking of the 12 bottle bar, which says that you need genever, absinthe, and no tequila or white rum.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 19, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

How To Drink did a blind taste test challenge, trying to rank 9 vodkas (and watered down Everclear) by price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75bAgWXLh3g

An experienced taster can definitely tell vodkas apart, as subtle as the differences are, but "premium vodka" is a total scam. Grey Goose in particular infamously got its fame through heavy marketing, increasing the price to give the impression of being a quality product, making an overly tall bottle that would have to be placed in a prominent spot out of necessity, and using rigged competitions and paying off bartenders to advertise it as the best.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Good vid but he knew the vodkas in advance and just had to put them in order. He did well though. I think there are more vodka tasting videos on YouTube than any other liquors which is kinda funny.

Misty Fog
Aug 18, 2020

chitoryu12 posted:

How To Drink did a blind taste test challenge, trying to rank 9 vodkas (and watered down Everclear) by price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75bAgWXLh3g

An experienced taster can definitely tell vodkas apart, as subtle as the differences are, but "premium vodka" is a total scam. Grey Goose in particular infamously got its fame through heavy marketing, increasing the price to give the impression of being a quality product, making an overly tall bottle that would have to be placed in a prominent spot out of necessity, and using rigged competitions and paying off bartenders to advertise it as the best.

Grey goose to me is a pretty average vodka, I put it slightly above Russian standard. You can get better vodka for cheaper, reyka comes to mind. I didn't think about the bottle aspect you mentioned, as a bartender for a year and a half it always pissed me off the bottle was like that but now it makes complete sense.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

wormil posted:

Good vid but he knew the vodkas in advance and just had to put them in order. He did well though. I think there are more vodka tasting videos on YouTube than any other liquors which is kinda funny.

I don't think knowing the bottles in advance matters in a vodka test like it would in a whiskey one, since they all taste so similar that it'll only stand out if it's especially smooth and tasteless or if it's downright awful. As his rankings proved, price doesn't matter very much for quality.

Misty Fog posted:

Grey goose to me is a pretty average vodka, I put it slightly above Russian standard. You can get better vodka for cheaper, reyka comes to mind. I didn't think about the bottle aspect you mentioned, as a bartender for a year and a half it always pissed me off the bottle was like that but now it makes complete sense.

That's also why Galliano has the wacky bottle. You're forced to put it at the back where it won't block anything and it can stand up above all else.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

wormil posted:

There is blind taste test video by Playboy and their expert picked Popov as his favorite.

https://youtu.be/yCrKjZrg-eA

Imagine a sapling growing out of a large crack in the sidewalk. There's decent amount of visible dirt at its base. After a fresh rain, a puddle forms around it. Collect the muddy rainwater, and drink it.

That's what Popov tastes like.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
Green mark is legit and like 12$ a bottle if you want to weeb out and eat caviar or something

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
i mostly use vodka for infusions and frying. i just buy the costco vodka which is like $16 for 1.75L and completely adequate

Misty Fog
Aug 18, 2020

got some chores tonight posted:

i mostly use vodka for infusions and frying. i just buy the costco vodka which is like $16 for 1.75L and completely adequate

The Kirkland signature vodka? It isn't even that bad and for your purpose it's definetly the best thing you could buy. How do you use vodka in frying though?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

PRADA SLUT posted:

Anyone have a weird reaction to Campari?

I feel like I'm having an allergic reaction to it in my throat. No issues with something like Punt e Mes though.

Still wondering this.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

PRADA SLUT posted:

Still wondering this.

Red dye allergy?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

The Bandit posted:

Red dye allergy?

I was wondering that but I don’t know how to check it. I assume if it was just some bitter compound then Punt E Mes would likely trigger it too?

e: assuming this is true, what can I use in place of Campari that isn’t dyed the same way or at all?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 20, 2020

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think knowing the bottles in advance matters in a vodka test like it would in a whiskey one, since they all taste so similar that it'll only stand out if it's especially smooth and tasteless or if it's downright awful. As his rankings proved, price doesn't matter very much for quality.

I believe it matters because he knows what to expect, the range to choose from, and there are certain expectations upon him. The goal was identify price which is different than a subjective taste test. Biggest difference for me is that some vodka gives you terrible headaches and others don't, but vodkas are the worst for headaches regardless. For example, Smirnoff, not matter how many times it's distilled gives me headaches, Absolut doesn't, and that's all I want from a vodka. I tend to agree with the goon above who said gin renders vodka obsolete.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Misty Fog posted:

The Kirkland signature vodka? It isn't even that bad and for your purpose it's definetly the best thing you could buy. How do you use vodka in frying though?

I can't speak for them, but I've added it to pie crusts and seen people add it to fry batter with the idea that you are adding something that won't contribute to gluten development. So it'll be either more tender or crispier. I haven't tried it for frying though.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

PRADA SLUT posted:

I was wondering that but I don’t know how to check it. I assume if it was just some bitter compound then Punt E Mes would likely trigger it too?

e: assuming this is true, what can I use in place of Campari that isn’t dyed the same way or at all?

Maybe try Contratto Bitter. I think it's coloring is all natural

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Carillon posted:

I can't speak for them, but I've added it to pie crusts and seen people add it to fry batter with the idea that you are adding something that won't contribute to gluten development. So it'll be either more tender or crispier. I haven't tried it for frying though.

It also evaporates faster than water, which leads to better browning and more crunchy when frying.

Misty Fog
Aug 18, 2020

Carillon posted:

For sure, I've seen that done, never myself, I suck at cooking anything more than a stir fry or a steak, but I'm very confused how on earth you'd use vodka in frying. Maybe a red or white wine but I don't understand vodka.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It’s pretty common with tempura to add sake to the batter to make it lighter (because it evaporates faster than water,) so vodka isn’t much of a stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Misty Fog posted:

For sure, I've seen that done, never myself, I suck at cooking anything more than a stir fry or a steak, but I'm very confused how on earth you'd use vodka in frying. Maybe a red or white wine but I don't understand vodka.

it's a common modern technique for anything where you'd like more liquid at the start to make it easier to work with, but without adding to gluten development, that'll then evaporate very quickly when it hits heat

so: pie dough, frying, etc

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 20, 2020