Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cactuar and Carbuncle summons are still exclusive to the deluxe edition I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
It looks like I didn't need to buy 10 Nestle Crunch bars after all.

... I regret nothing.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I've been playing through this very slowly because it's so good I'm basically savoring it but then they cut out the part where Reeve books his parents a vacation at a sex club?? game ruined preorder cancelled childhood dead

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Uncle Ulty posted:

If you can hear him but haven't found him yet, you can get back to the basement by going through Corneo's office, the room where he made the selection from your three party members. That will answer your question.

Can I still get this? After finishing all the sidequests I left to the sewers, am at the boss.

Also man this game on hard will be challenging. Some of these encounters even in normal are pretty challenging but maybe all the powerful materia will just make up for the difference?

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Ulio posted:

Can I still get this? After finishing all the sidequests I left to the sewers, am at the boss.

Also man this game on hard will be challenging. Some of these encounters even in normal are pretty challenging but maybe all the powerful materia will just make up for the difference?

Yeah, higher level elemental materia, for instance, makes a lot of encounters a joke, though the Chapter 13 sewers are just a general combat low point. Outside of that, most encounters can be won with Cloud starting a fight with Triple Slash.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Ulio posted:

To answer your question though: no you cannot go back and get this materia if you've already progressed through to the sewers.

Protip for missable materia: do all the Ch14 side quests then look around. There is one materia rewarded by this that there are only 2 of in the entire game, and both are missable until you compete the game and get access to chapter select.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ulio posted:

For the guy who said Biggs = Charlie Sheen...

Calaveron posted:

He also speaks with Charlie Sheen's exact cadence and tone

He's also Balthier. :psyduck:

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 13, 2020

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

uhm, guys.

I guess the FF7 butterfinger DLC is free now?

Final Fantasy VII Remake DLC:
Corneo's Armlet
Superstar Belt
Mako Crystal
Midgar Bangle
Shinra Bangle

PS Store link

Slickdeals Thread

Awwwshit, not available in the UK. Goddamn region locks!

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Marmaduke! posted:

Awwwshit, not available in the UK. Goddamn region locks!

Have you checked the actual UK PSN store because clicking a link to a US store page doesn't redirect properly to the same page on your local store, and they're available for me in Finland

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

uhm, guys.

I guess the FF7 butterfinger DLC is free now?

Final Fantasy VII Remake DLC:
Corneo's Armlet
Superstar Belt
Mako Crystal
Midgar Bangle
Shinra Bangle

PS Store link

Slickdeals Thread

The sad thing is that I didn't even eat the Crunch bars that I bought. I forgot about them and then had to throw them out.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

DelphiAegis posted:

To answer your question though: no you cannot go back and get this materia if you've already progressed through to the sewers.

Protip for missable materia: do all the Ch14 side quests then look around. There is one materia rewarded by this that there are only 2 of in the entire game, and both are missable until you compete the game and get access to chapter select.

Ok thanks.

doos posted:

Yeah, higher level elemental materia, for instance, makes a lot of encounters a joke, though the Chapter 13 sewers are just a general combat low point. Outside of that, most encounters can be won with Cloud starting a fight with Triple Slash.

Ya I was watching a video of someone playing the Shiva vr battle on hard but this is before I knew hard is basically ng+ so you keep all your equipment. This guy destroyed her and that is a solo battle. But he of course had maxed out materias and end game stuff.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Arkage posted:

The sad thing is that I didn't even eat the Crunch bars that I bought. I forgot about them and then had to throw them out.

Candy Bars take like 30 years to go bad.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Veib posted:

Have you checked the actual UK PSN store because clicking a link to a US store page doesn't redirect properly to the same page on your local store, and they're available for me in Finland

Yeah I have. I could still be doing something stupid but I'm pretty sure I've failed correctly!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Schwartzcough posted:

this is very true. I bought a bunch of triple chocolate kitkats during halloween like 10 years ago and put'em in a sealed plastic container. they're still good.

whether them still being edible even now is necessarily a good thing or not is up to you :v:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

He's also Balthier. :psyduck:

He's also the overly verbose elf dude with sunglasses in FFXIV

He's one of those voice actors that really gets around

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Moola posted:

He's also the overly verbose elf dude with sunglasses in FFXIV

He's one of those voice actors that really gets around

Was, they switched to a new voice actor studio in heavensward and replaced everyone.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Oh word? I haven't done much of storm blood yet so I ain't seen much of him for a while

He also voices one of the party members in ffxv I think

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
He also played the monster of the week in an episode of Grimm

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Probably quicker to list the stuff Gideon Emery hasn't been in at this point.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Was, they switched to a new voice actor studio in heavensward and replaced everyone.

Motherfuckers, so that's why Merlwyb's voice got hosed up! :mad: I know the voices were better overall, but she deserved better, dammit.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Motherfuckers, so that's why Merlwyb's voice got hosed up! :mad: I know the voices were better overall, but she deserved better, dammit.

Merlwyb was the one voice that was unequivocally a downgrade imo. The rest were all improvements or sidegrades.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Schwartzcough posted:

They melted

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

About 3-4 hours in farting around, and drat it takes time to get going

This game really really punishes you for trying to mash buttons, and I’m glad. Combat is interesting and about what i expected. Feels a lot like Crisis Core for sure

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I binged this game over the last couple of days since dodging spoilers was getting pretty hard. Yes, the irony.
Anyway, here's some of my live notes/reactions. Warning, spoilers etc.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918922&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=205#post507309473

Elentor fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 17, 2020

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Edit

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 17, 2020

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah plenty that's why I linked instead of crossposting. Should have made it clear.

It's just me writing my thoughts as I go through the game. I do that to almost every game I play like I'm writing a diary.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 17, 2020

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ohh gotcha! Wasn’t sure if you posted little quips without spoilers or something. Definitely going to thumb through once i finish binging this week.

How long did it take y’all taking your time? I’m no completionist, but not in a rush. The game does seem very linear? Is that only the beginning?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's a 40 hour game, but there's about 80 hours if you do absolutely everything, the major extra being hard mode, which is an interesting challenge that really tests your knowledge of the combat system. It's mostly linear, but three of the chapters have side quests with a lot of running around and talking, and as per the original you'll revisit a couple of places along the way.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ohh gotcha! Wasn’t sure if you posted little quips without spoilers or something. Definitely going to thumb through once i finish binging this week.

How long did it take y’all taking your time? I’m no completionist, but not in a rush. The game does seem very linear? Is that only the beginning?

Most FF games tend to be linear they really aren't as open as other JRPGs like Dragon Quest. There is normally though a point in the game where you get to a huge open world area and it's normally before the end game point of no return. It's mainly for farming, maxing gear out and completing any sideuqests.

FF7R isn't the full game so it doesn't really have any big open area but like Doctor Fruitbat said there is 3 chapters interspersed that are you just going around doing sidequests in sector 5 and the wall market.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Except for Chadley's stuff, that carries forward and you can do whenever, all the sidequests and minigames are pretty much per-chapter. So if you want to do everything in your first playthrough, when the game asks "are you ready to [obviously progress the story]?", make sure you've done all the available sidequests.

You CAN get stuff you missed later on, so don't feel like your game is ruined and you have to start over if you realize you missed something.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is this game a safe 60 dollar purchase? I still have a hard time wrapping my head around just the Midgar story being 60 bucks.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yes, it is a full 30-40 hour Final Fantasy game. And a good one.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

It's currently $40 in the PSN sale that ends this Thursday, and you should be able to find it physical for the same price too.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0082-CUSA07211_00-FFVIIREMAKE00000

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kirios posted:

Is this game a safe 60 dollar purchase? I still have a hard time wrapping my head around just the Midgar story being 60 bucks.

Did you know FFX was going to be the 40-hour precursor to the greatest JRPG ever made when you bought it? Nobody did at the time. Think of it like that.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Kirios posted:

Imagine that the Bombing Mission itself takes around 1 hour to complete with all the new cinematic cutscenes (compared to like 15 mins of the original) and then escaping takes another hour with all the extended story stuff.

The length adds up quickly.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
There is padding that definitely feels just like padding, but there's a lot less of it that you'd imagine. So much of the extra content is expansion, that improves upon the experience.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ulio fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 17, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
Estuans interius
Ira vehementi
Cloudiroth!
Cloudiroth!

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

I look forward to the FF7 version of Mean Girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well it's good to know that Cloud + Sephiroth gets you Cara Delevingne, apparently.