Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I've found out that Chorizo has enough fat that you can just start cooking them on a non-stick pan and use the fat to cook the eggs etc :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i think you should take the chorizo fat and add some vegetable oil to use it to make mayonnaise, which you then use to make potato salad with chopped spring onion and pickles

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If you slice chorizo ring and fry it without oil over a low heat, enough fat renders out of it that you can then add other things to the pan (boiled potatoes, or tinned new potatos for example) to fry them in the delicious chorizo fat and it's really nice

That's exactly what I had for dinner, along with cod I cooked in a little tin foil tent in the oven with white wine, lemon and dill

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Ehhhhhhhh it melts like cheese but then remains molten for the longest time and sticks to the roof of your mouth making eating pizza loving annoying

D... D... Do you not roll the entire pizza up and slide it down your throat like a greater blackback gull and an entire rabbit ???

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
that pizza look nice :yum:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

really looking forward to going out more next year

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone here foster cats? I was considering volunteering earlier this year, but of course all the shelters stopped home visits. What would I be letting myself in for?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

probably a cat, op.

have you lived with cats before? i can't imagine cat fostering being that different from dog fostering from an organisational perspective, and people i know with experience of fostering dogs have had really good and supportive experiences. it's just that rather than getting a good animal, you are instead getting a mrowling little poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the worst one kitty will do is wreck your house a bit and in my experience only very young cats will do that. when mine was a kitten she climbed the curtains and wallpaper (it was that painted foamy stuff) and plucked carpets and tortured house plants and stuff. older cats really just want food and a warm place to sleep all day

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Why? Jose will be happily married to your sister in law with me and my dog in the spare room and you'll be making cheese free pizzas in your new gaff with no desire to ever venture out into the relentless covid swamps of the unmasked.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Buying gifts for ladies is hard

So far I've bought her -

D&d Dice
Skull bracelet
Disney princess socks
Fake plant for a gecko

She'll probably like at least 1 of those things

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

probably a cat, op.

have you lived with cats before? i can't imagine cat fostering being that different from dog fostering from an organisational perspective, and people i know with experience of fostering dogs have had really good and supportive experiences. it's just that rather than getting a good animal, you are instead getting a mrowling little poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Reading this post I was very curious what earned the probe until the very end explained all

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
sexy tony

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Well I would hope I would be getting a cat, I'll panic if a komodo dragon or something arrived instead.

My family has almost always had a cat, but none were rescue cats and we had them from kittenhood. I imagine it's different with animals that have been abused or that have health problems which put adopters off. Years ago I contacted a local animal rescue about adopting and was rejected because I work full-time. Currently I'm still WFH most days but who knows how long that will last.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It took a while to shake the initial shock from my brain that the life I wanted to live when I moved to the UK/London doesn't exist anymore.

I had a good year, socialized like crazy, partied like 3 days a week, gallerry crawled, camped fortheathre tickets and whatnot.

A crushing percent of stuff I love to do won't even exist / still dangerous for quite a while.

I don't think we can have a 500 people strong Soul Train night at Bussey Building, shoulder to shoulder singing along and dancing while sweating our asses off. I don't think there is a "Socially distanced Rage Against the Machine live concert" out there or have a kendo practice that won't get cancelled every two weeks just like how a single guy spread it to 24 other people (and god knows how many people they carried it to) during Army tournament no matter how many pages of guidance BKA posts.

Traveling internationally is hosed / on it's way to get hosed, I probably won't be able to see my family as cases in Turkey spiked and now UK is considering imposing quarantine and maybe a full travel ban later.

I mean, it's just I'm more focused on my business, improving myself, considering more outdoorsy stuff than getting crammed into a Brick Lane dive, buying a bike etc.

It's sad and depressing but (probably) we get through this (citation needed) and have some resemblance of normalcy next year.

I think 43 people registered to go to a singles party on a boat are dumb loving idiots and I can live without having a pub couchsurfing meetup.

I miss theathre and live music so much though but most of the it was the crowds and the vibe makes it worthwhile.

Also, literally one of my favorite live pop ) rock music venues in London closed permanently (Roadhouse Covent Garden) and probably more will follow.

The gubmint had a super sekrit test run at Clapham Grand with socially distanced and tabled live concert and even the owners and the performer say it's not the same and absolutely not financially viable.

Idk man, it's 1 a.m. and I'm melanchonic :smith:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

whatever

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Galewolf posted:

I don't think we can have a 500 people strong Soul Train night at Bussey Building, shoulder to shoulder singing along and dancing while sweating our asses off.
hmm this was not the 'run a 500 person train in my bussy' post i was expecting but it is the one i have found

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Galewolf posted:

Traveling internationally is hosed / on it's way to get hosed, I probably won't be able to see my family as cases in Turkey spiked and now UK is considering imposing quarantine and maybe a full travel ban later.

Lol I have £1000 of Turkish Lira arriving at work today because people are constantly asking for it.

I'm sorry people are poo poo honestly, I have given up being mad about people travelling because it's my job and I can't really be mad at everything in my job or it'll wear me down. Already is.

I wish I had the hyper social energy you do, but in retrospect perhaps I survived shielding and the lack of social events because I'm ok with being shut in with a cat, painting supplies and computer games.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

Reading this post I was very curious what earned the probe until the very end explained all

i appreciate you may be a toxoplasmosis-riddled mess but jose correctly comes down on the side of dogs as being the superior animal. the probation was for something else

triangular man
Feb 13, 2015

I've been (more of) a shut-in since March and will have to rejoin society again in September, and I am pretty anxious about the public transport situation. I can't see how you can socially distance or be safe when you have to use the train.

My train is usually crammed full, standing room only and now they've reduced the number of services running, which I can't imagine has eased the overstuffed quality of the journey.

Has anyone been using the trains lately? What's it like out there? I'm scared, goons :ohdear:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

triangular man posted:

I've been (more of) a shut-in since March and will have to rejoin society again in September, and I am pretty anxious about the public transport situation. I can't see how you can socially distance or be safe when you have to use the train.

My train is usually crammed full, standing room only and now they've reduced the number of services running, which I can't imagine has eased the overstuffed quality of the journey.

Has anyone been using the trains lately? What's it like out there? I'm scared, goons :ohdear:

trains are picking up again. Is there any alternative way for you to travel?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Natalie Fartman posted:

Lol I have £1000 of Turkish Lira arriving at work today because people are constantly asking for it.

I'm sorry people are poo poo honestly, I have given up being mad about people travelling because it's my job and I can't really be mad at everything in my job or it'll wear me down. Already is.

I wish I had the hyper social energy you do, but in retrospect perhaps I survived shielding and the lack of social events because I'm ok with being shut in with a cat, painting supplies and computer games.

That's almost 10,000 moon guldens which is 5 minimum wage monthly but that's really strange because right now Turkish lira is tanking (well, it was tanking since 2018) and the exchange rate in the UK is much worse than Turkey. I checked and travel agencies exchange for 1 GBP = 9.5 Lira (some of them go down to 8.2 which is yikes).

The current exchange rate in Turkey is 9.7 on a good day, close to 10 on a bad one. And Turkish exchange bureaus are everywhere (foreign currency being the only reliable investment/inflation protection) and by law they have to operate at 0 % commission (they make money from buying and selling since the exchange rate always fluctuates).

For reference, the pound was 5.2 Liras when I decided to start working on my visa application (end of 2018), 7.39 Lira when I was coming here (2019) and it's pushing 10 Lira now. Turkey was always very popular with British tourists and even pensioners living there due to always favorable exchange rate but I think this year, combined with roni, the prices in Lira are also very high that even the "poverty tourism" is not working as social media has some Brits complaining about prices.

I don't know, like you said, complaining and huffing-puffing about people traveling gets nowhere and pointless at this poiny. That being said, why anyone fly 5000 km during a pandemic to a poor country where cases are spiking and pretty much "everything is open" since July is beyond me. :iiam:

I can get into hibernation from active social life, work was a good distraction and working on professional development and my charterships took quite and effort. I cook at least twice a day and do some reading and wait for the time I can go back to social life/traveling.

I contemplate on having a new computer for vidya gaymes but until my visa extension is cleared I have to save as much as I can.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

triangular man posted:

I took a commuter/regular train to Hastings at the end of June and it was pretty much empty. They didn't even bother checking tickets as I sat by myself, eating a homemade chicken sammich and listening to music the whole way.

As ratty said, I imagine things picked up by this point but as long as companies in Central London let everyone work from home until next year train would be the better option to travel. I don't think the trains will be pre-covid levels of busy. IIRC, National Express is now offering like removed seating coaches but between a train and a bus, I think the train would be the better choice. The Central line was still quite empty when I went to Essex two weeks ago for work and seemed like people adjusted to wearing masks, following one-way exit signs, distancing, etc. (at least it was like that in Liverpool Street Station).

Rent / buy a car maybe? Life from a campervan parked next to the office? Sleep in the office?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I've been getting free train rides since lockdown, it owns

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

im hung over

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

The cheeky sunday pints always feel like you're playing by your own rules. Then monday happens

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I'm hungover too

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Fwiw on my trip back to the UK the flight was 1/3rd full and obviously everyone was strictly adhering to measures on the plane and in the airport, the tubes (I travelled well away from rush hour for the most part) were mostly fine apart from a few maskless teens and a passed out drunk person, but the trains I took to/from Leeds and then back to the airport were the worst by far in terms of people who didn't give a poo poo/think rules don't apply to them

I saw a couple of people on the train who had official looking lanyards saying "mask exempt" and wore expressions akin to bulldogs chewing wasps and had a look daring people to judge them, which I duly did because yes hidden disabilities exist etc but I've yet to hear of a convincing reason that actually prevents someone from putting a little bit of cloth over their nose and mouth for a couple of hours for the sake of public health and solidarity

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

I had a lady be extremely upset at me because I asked her if she could wear a mask. Something along the lines of 'I GET ASKED THAT EVERY TIME I COME IN HERE RAR RAR' which, yes. Just say you're loving exempt and get on with it instead of wasting energy being offended that we want to protect ourselves and our customers.

Incidentally the person she was with with made a very off colour joke about wafting Coronavirus in my direction and I seethed a lot under the surface at that poo poo.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Galewolf posted:

I contemplate on having a new computer for vidya gaymes but until my visa extension is cleared I have to save as much as I can.
i am not sure if the dsa for my ma is going to try and give me a new computer or not. last time they gave me a laptop but i cant really use one because rsi. i wouldnt mind if they gave me money for a ram upgrade because thats pretty much all it needs

also i just realised that the cheap mechanical keyboard i bought does not have a \ key so thats great for me wanting to learn a programming language

or type anything in a dos prompt

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Natalie Fartman posted:

I had a lady be extremely upset at me because I asked her if she could wear a mask. Something along the lines of 'I GET ASKED THAT EVERY TIME I COME IN HERE RAR RAR' which, yes. Just say you're loving exempt and get on with it instead of wasting energy being offended that we want to protect ourselves and our customers.

Incidentally the person she was with with made a very off colour joke about wafting Coronavirus in my direction and I seethed a lot under the surface at that poo poo.

British people really are dogshit

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

hemale in pain posted:

Buying gifts for ladies is hard

So far I've bought her -

D&d Dice
Skull bracelet
Disney princess socks
Fake plant for a gecko

She'll probably like at least 1 of those things

I got the wife some silk jammys, little skimpy shorts and revealing top. A diamanté gin glass, unicorn slippers, giant rear end card and a dozen roses.
She got me some armani aftershave and a token for a blowjob :D

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i like the idea of a card that is just a giant rear end

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

drat, she gives you a blowjob token and you give her an rear end card? sounds like she got the better "end" of the deal

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I've got a really great picture of my rear end wearing a pair of her purple panties. Maybe I should stick that on next years anniversary card

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Salisbury Snape posted:

token for a blowjob :D

Can this be redeemed anywhere or only specific outlets?

Natalie Fartman posted:

Pretty sure thats denial of service time.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

poop postin check in

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ratjaculation posted:

poop postin check in

Same

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Can this be redeemed anywhere or only specific outlets?

There is no small print, I'm going to see how she reacts to me asking to redeem it in the middle of lidls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

We synced again??????