Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Watching the making of Halloween. Sheri Moon is cool af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

shes a national treasure and if you dig her check out Lords of Salem she kills it and I think its her strongest performance

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Watching Slumber Party Massacre 2 and I wasn’t expecting the multiple Lynchian nightmare scenes with a moonwalking Frankenfurter/Elvis sex pervert smashed cut with footage from later in the movie. It’s like they ran out of film...but thank god someone got all that footage of the Driller Killer breakdancing. Also multiple musical numbers.

Great movie.

Seriously watch the first two minutes

https://youtu.be/No_G2HQRKf4

Also catch 8:20 for an amazing dance sequence :nws: with everyone looking directly into the camera.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 16, 2020

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

WeaponX posted:

Watching Slumber Party Massacre 2 and I wasn’t expecting the multiple Lynchian nightmare scenes with a moonwalking Frankenfurter/Elvis sex pervert smashed cut with footage from later in the movie. It’s like they ran out of film...but thank god someone got all that footage of the Driller Killer breakdancing. Also multiple musical numbers.

Great movie.

Seriously watch the first two minutes

https://youtu.be/No_G2HQRKf4

Also catch 8:20 for an amazing dance sequence :nws: with everyone looking directly into the camera.

The Driller Killer is just amazing. I actually showed the movie to some friends last week and they were going crazy for any scene he showed up in.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

WeaponX posted:

That seriously threw me off because that's something you don't really do when you direct a movie. There was a conversation early in the movie with Courtney and her boyfriend where when it does a shot-reverse shot and cuts to him he's just looking right at the drat camera and it's really weird. It's like a shot of her looking in his direction and talking and then him basically in a void looking straight at the camera. The director got it half right, but like even if you had to reshoot the guy's scenes at least have his eyeline looking where she was.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
Not directly movie news, but Amazon is having a big sci-fi Kindle sale today, and you can get the all 3 books in the Southern Reach trilogy for $2.99 a piece (Annihilation, Authority, and Acceptance). As someone who liked Annihilation as a movie, this seems like the right price to get me to buy the books.

Also, if you liked the Wayward Pines tv show, the first two books in that trilogy are also $1.99 a piece.

There's some other good stuff in there, like the collection of the first Conan stories or Mona Lisa Overdrive but these seemed the the most interesting to fellow spookadoodles.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

alf_pogs posted:

watched it the other night too. LOVED it, despite the last twenty minutes of redundant ending

the scene with the can of white paint is one the most visually arresting jump scares I've ever had in my life

Ya and the sound effect was also spot on for that reaction.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Noticed Land of the Dead popped up on UK Netflix so watched it. I kinda like what it was going for with the throwback to the zombies going back to what they know hence swarming the mall in Dawn and that they can learn like in Day... Outside of a few cool deaths it is loving terrible.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Nah, Land of the Dead is still good. Part of me prefer it not exist, but it sort of messes up the cleanness of the original trilogy. I think Day is a perfect ending.

But it's a pretty fun movie that is not the 9/11 allegory you'd expect.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Timeless Appeal posted:

Nah, Land of the Dead is still good. Part of me prefer it not exist, but it sort of messes up the cleanness of the original trilogy. I think Day is a perfect ending.

But it's a pretty fun movie that is not the 9/11 allegory you'd expect.

Yeah, I agree. I think the bigger problem is that it just doesn't feel like the previous 3.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I agree. I think the bigger problem is that it just doesn't feel like the previous 3.

The other three don't feel like each other either. Nor are they meant to.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Does anyone have any micro-budget (non-found-footage) horror from the last few years that they think are hidden gems? I don't really see that sort of thing getting brought up around here often, but I found myself on another site which highlighted a lot of very obscure titles but didn't have any sort of commentary or critical review attached. So many of them looked like they had the right heart and promising concepts, but with this sort of thing I know you have to sort through a lot of lazy and poorly-conceived trash to find anything worthwhile.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I don't think it's necessarily that it doesn't feel like the previous three, more it doesn't have this sense of escalation. It feels like a parallel story to Day, re-exploring a lot of the same ideas in a different way.

I think there's an argument for it being a good coda of the series as there's a little bit of all the movies in it:

-- It's the most directly allegorical since Night of the Living Dead. Night is about Vietnam and unrest within the US and Land is about 9/11.

-- It has the consumerism messaging of Dawn

-- It has the problem that the people in charge are fundamentally petty and small as long with the question of maybe it's not bad to let the world start anew.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Land of the Dead's awesome.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I saw Land of the Dead ten times in theaters because I was just excited to be able to see a George Romero movie in theaters in its first run. I still enjoy it too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

I saw Land of the Dead ten times in theaters because I was just excited to be able to see a George Romero movie in theaters in its first run. I still enjoy it too.

I was 24 and broke, so I waited until it was at the dollar theater

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I watched the Suspiria remake yesterday and I still have no idea whether I liked it or not. What a confusing blob of a film.

+ I thought Tilda Swinton was excellent as Mme Blanc, and Dakota Johnson did better than I expected as Susie
+ Once I got accustomed to the muted palette I thought the film was gorgeous for the most part
+ I liked the effort to place the story in 70s Berlin, both with the imagery it provided (I absolutely love Berlin and think it's a fascinating city) and the thematic connection between the political turmoil in the city and in the coven
+ The body horror effects were pretty spectacular in places, I'm especially thinking of the sequence where Olga gets brutalised in the mirror room while Susie dances

- CGI blood looks terrible and Suspiria does nothing to improve the technique
- The stunt casting was annoying and distracting. I just don't see the purpose of having Tilda Swinton play the old psychiatrist guy in bad old man make-up, especially when it was especially obvious it was her. After the film reading about how they stuck to the story of it being an unknown actor and then they got all the movie press in on the joke really reinforces the idea that it was one big wanky in-joke that actively harms the film
- It's too long. A movie needs a loving good reason to be longer than 90 minutes and Suspiria did not have that. It spends its extra hour layering up the mystery despite making it incredibly obvious in the first 15 minutes that it's witches. They could have used this extra time to foreshadow the final revelation which just gets dropped in out of nowhere
- A remake needs to justify its existence more than most films (from a critical standpoint, I don't care if it was a financial success) and I can't imagine ever wanting to rewatch this over the original

It's a film with a lot of positives that just seems to go out it its way to torpedo any good will on the part of the viewer. At least it made me have feelings?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I agree about Swinton. It felt like they just were saying "gently caress yea Tilda Swinton can play literally any character imaginable!" without considering whether or not it actually would be a benefit to the movie. It served no purpose, it was a needless distraction.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Swinton thing reminds me of Guy Pierce in Prometheus—during both films I was just waiting for the makeup to be removed. In Prometheus it ended up being a positive, as I was assuming that Weyland was going to achieve his quest for youth, and when he died it was a genuine shock. But in Suspiria it just never paid off and I was left wondering if I was missing some thematic string that connected her two characters in a meaningful way. It made me concentrate on the wrong parts of the film and just left me disappointed.

Still, a great remake but it's bloated and confused enough that I'll probably never return to it again unlike the OG.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
At least with Pearce there was actually an intended reason for why he was cast in the role. There were supposed to be scenes of him interacting with David as his younger self(similar to the opening of Covenant), but those scenes were scrapped.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

feedmyleg posted:

But in Suspiria it just never paid off and I was left wondering if I was missing some thematic string that connected her two characters in a meaningful way. It made me concentrate on the wrong parts of the film and just left me disappointed.

This was my main issue with it. At first I was waiting for them to reveal that the doctor was Blanc and she was using a glamour or something to disguise herself and gather information on girls that were planning to betray the coven. When it became clear that this wasn't going to happen I, like you, started looking for some connection between the characters that almost certainly didn't exist.

In retrospect, looking at the press response to the reveal, it seems like it was just a marketing move so that they could get people talking about the film again after the initial buzz died down.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You know how Suspiria is known for its lighting? What if we remade it with a neutral colour palette?

You know how Suspiria is known for its electric prog-rock soundtrack? What if we get Thom Yorke to mumble over a piano? Even if we have to beg him for months?

You know how Suspiria is set in a German ballet school in the 70s, but the setting doesn't really matter? What if it mattered a lot?

I just don't understand it. The answer to a question nobody asked. The best part of the movie was the Alamo Drafthouse preview stuff about the Red Army Faction.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

You know how Suspiria is known for its lighting? What if we remade it with a neutral colour palette?

You know how Suspiria is known for its electric prog-rock soundtrack? What if we get Thom Yorke to mumble over a piano? Even if we have to beg him for months?

You know how Suspiria is set in a German ballet school in the 70s, but the setting doesn't really matter? What if it mattered a lot?

I just don't understand it. The answer to a question nobody asked. The best part of the movie was the Alamo Drafthouse preview stuff about the Red Army Faction.

These are all good things if I wanted to watch the same movie I’d watch the original. Every choice they made that differed it improved the remake greatly.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I just don't understand it.

There's an obstinance to it that I respect, knowing that it can't outdo the original in those respects so went the opposite way. However, I think you're setting yourself up for failure when you still evoke the original so closely in your story. An ideal approach to any remake as far as I'm concerned is to take the world or general idea of a story and run a different direction with it. Removing all the things people liked the most about the original isn't going to gain you much.

That being said, none of those things really bothered me and I enjoyed being able to explore the differences rather than the similarities. But I would rather they had gone more different with the story.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

It's these types of changes that makes me actually pretty excited for Luca Guadagnino's remake of Scarface.

I'm gonna finally watch his Suspiria for the October challenge. I keep putting it off, but I'm ready.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Does anyone have any micro-budget (non-found-footage) horror from the last few years that they think are hidden gems? I don't really see that sort of thing getting brought up around here often, but I found myself on another site which highlighted a lot of very obscure titles but didn't have any sort of commentary or critical review attached. So many of them looked like they had the right heart and promising concepts, but with this sort of thing I know you have to sort through a lot of lazy and poorly-conceived trash to find anything worthwhile.

There's lots of these but the one that comes to mind right away is What Keeps You Alive. Really dug this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfADKNDJcP8

Mohawk is also real good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCDkYLRQiUI

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sorry for the double post but I have feelings (mostly good) about the Suspiria remake and agree that it isn't and shouldn't be a retread of the original.

That being said, the doctor subplot felt very tacked-on, with no real good reason why it should exist. It's not that it's not interesting in and of itself but it doesn't have a good reference point in the original, nor is one established here. Removing that subplot and that character would fix a few issues with the film, including the runtime.

But other than that, I love the movie. Johnson's Susie is a completely different one from Harper's, and has a lot more confidence and agency, which I really liked. I think this one also has a lot to say about motherhood and female kinship, as well as bringing in an explicitly political element that I respect the hell out of. It's the kind of remake we should all celebrate IMO because it doesn't seek to replace the original, merely augmenting it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I really appreciated the Suspiria "remake" as a vessel for Luca Guadagnino to channel Rainer Werner Fassbinder for making a weird, overly long arthouse horror movie.
If using the guise of a remake is required to give us that, who cares. If you want a more faithful Suspiria adaptation there's always Neon Demon.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Tarnop posted:

I watched the Suspiria remake yesterday and I still have no idea whether I liked it or not. What a confusing blob of a film.

+ I thought Tilda Swinton was excellent as Mme Blanc, and Dakota Johnson did better than I expected as Susie
+ Once I got accustomed to the muted palette I thought the film was gorgeous for the most part
+ I liked the effort to place the story in 70s Berlin, both with the imagery it provided (I absolutely love Berlin and think it's a fascinating city) and the thematic connection between the political turmoil in the city and in the coven
+ The body horror effects were pretty spectacular in places, I'm especially thinking of the sequence where Olga gets brutalised in the mirror room while Susie dances

- CGI blood looks terrible and Suspiria does nothing to improve the technique
- The stunt casting was annoying and distracting. I just don't see the purpose of having Tilda Swinton play the old psychiatrist guy in bad old man make-up, especially when it was especially obvious it was her. After the film reading about how they stuck to the story of it being an unknown actor and then they got all the movie press in on the joke really reinforces the idea that it was one big wanky in-joke that actively harms the film
- It's too long. A movie needs a loving good reason to be longer than 90 minutes and Suspiria did not have that. It spends its extra hour layering up the mystery despite making it incredibly obvious in the first 15 minutes that it's witches. They could have used this extra time to foreshadow the final revelation which just gets dropped in out of nowhere
- A remake needs to justify its existence more than most films (from a critical standpoint, I don't care if it was a financial success) and I can't imagine ever wanting to rewatch this over the original

It's a film with a lot of positives that just seems to go out it its way to torpedo any good will on the part of the viewer. At least it made me have feelings?

Yeah. I was really disappointed too and had really looked forward to seeing it.

Agreed that it was gorgeous looking, and I could watch Tilda Swinton mentor a pupil on the principles of dance pretty much forever, with or without witches or the supernatural. But it was kind of a cumbersome slog IMO.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

WeaponX posted:

These are all good things if I wanted to watch the same movie I’d watch the original. Every choice they made that differed it improved the remake greatly.

Yeah exactly. I liked the remake because it was different. Why would you want the same movie twice?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah exactly. I liked the remake because it was different. Why would you want the same movie twice?

I think there's two separate issues here, two different pitfalls a remake can fall into. A remake can just be a by the numbers reproduction of the original, which we all agree is bad. But in trying so hard to avoid that pitfall, some remakes fall into the other one, where they feel like they have to turn everything about the original on it's head and it comes off feeling forced. Like Halloween Jack mentioned, Suspiria feels like they just went down a list of things about the original that people loved and made certain they changed every single one of them, just because. It doesn't feel organic to what the movie is, it feels contrarian for no real purpose.

The movie has some standout moments and I enjoyed it but I didn't love it and I also agree with those who said it's overlong.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the best remake is the Evil Dead 2013. Different enough to be its own movie, similar enough to still be a remake, and just batshit insane. I like it better than the original.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I haven't seen the new Suspiria yet, but I think attempting to match it's gorgeous coloring or similarly lurid soundtrack would be an impossible feat.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

graventy posted:

I haven't seen the new Suspiria yet, but I think attempting to match it's gorgeous coloring or similarly lurid soundtrack would be an impossible feat.

I think remaking Argento is probably a mistake in general, because his style is the thing, the style is the substance. So I can't fault anyone for not wanting to try reproducing that but then what do you really have?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Are there any worthwhile found-footage/faux documentary movies on either Shudder or Amazon Prime right now?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

Are there any worthwhile found-footage/faux documentary movies on either Shudder or Amazon Prime right now?

Besides Host?

I watched Host over the weekend and it was pretty tense and I liked the pay-off. Fun lil FF.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah Host is a blast, and I'm glad they kept it under an hour

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I think remaking Argento is probably a mistake in general, because his style is the thing, the style is the substance. So I can't fault anyone for not wanting to try reproducing that but then what do you really have?

That and the fact that Argento wouldn’t even be able to remake Argento now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

the best remake is the Evil Dead 2013The Blob 1988. Different enough to be its own movie, similar enough to still be a remake, and just batshit insane. I like it better than the original.

As much as I love The Thing and The Fly they're so wildly different than the originals that I barely consider them remakes—a good thing in my book. But The Blob strikes that perfect balance to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i still gotta see the 80s blob ive only seen the 50s one