Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

hunnert car pileup posted:

HHH getting the "you tapped out" chants at Summerslam 2012 when he was so desperately trying for a postmatch reaction like Austin's at WM13 or Benoit's at the '03 Rumble still warms the cockles of my heart. gently caress that guy.

In watching the end of these matches, HHH just seems to hang around in the ring for so long for seemingly no apparent reason. At least he got a Triple H chant after the "you tapped out" chants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
H³ is terminally uncool. Imagine him trying to ingratiate himself with Lemmy over the years, and Lemmy & Pals just laughing and laughing.

Retire, Triple Helmsley.

Retire to one of the Jovian moons.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

HHH is deeply uncool sure, but he likes things that are cool and tries to be a part of them. Motorhead kicks rear end and is cool as gently caress. Cody has no idea what the gently caress is cool, Downstait is worse than Nickleback and Puddle of Mudd combined. There are few wrestlers I would ever say are cool, even remotely. Moxley is cool, Sammy, and Shida kind of exude a coolness. Hangman is very classic James Dean pretty eyes and deep thoughts cool. Private Party are geeks but they have good style. Other than that the entire promotion is a bunch of nerds in my opinion.

I am less cool than HHH, Cody, or anyone whose ever been on TV. This is just my opinion.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I would sooner attend a Hoobastank concert (where Uncle Kracker opened) than do the same for Downstait.

Cody’s neck tattoo is something that belongs in the Bad Ideas Hall of Fame.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Waffleopolis posted:

https://twitter.com/MATTHARDYBRAND/status/1295212749757259778

Matt really knows how to turn a hosed up chair shot and spin it into gold.

cody did it first with his eyebrow scar, not saying matts ripping off hardy but very much "well we got a hosed up injury here how do we make the absolute most of it"

see also britt baker

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

If Cody Rhodes is a midcarder then I've misunderstood what "midcarder" means for decades.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Cody was a midcarder because HHH doesn't believe in meritocracy. Now he's a main eventer who is kinda high on the smell of his own farts.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cody is a main event caliber wrestler playing the role of a midcarder. Some of his image feels like just natural uncoolness but I think he also very much knows what he's doing considering his first big AEW program banished him from the main event scene.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Cody needs to turn heel and he knows the onlu way to get AEW fans to boo him is if they think he's booking himself to go over indie darlings

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Cody heel turn is one of the many threads AEW can pull to pay off at All Out, but it’s getting to the point where they have to do something with one of them because a lot of things are starting to feel very much like they’re booking around a holding pattern until crowds come back for some pops and lol that’s not happening this year/ever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think we'll start seeing crowds late 2021 so yeah, they're gonna need to start pulling some story threads soon.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i dunno i kind of like the current pace. keeps me engaged week to week and not like im completely lost if i miss an episode here or there.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JOHN CENA posted:

i dunno i kind of like the current pace. keeps me engaged week to week and not like im completely lost if i miss an episode here or there.

If you’re not watching week in week out then yeah I can imagine it’s not so pronounced an issue, but without crowds to consider they’re 100% reliant on keeping as consistent a weekly tv audience as they can.

On that basis I’d imagine people who aren’t watching every week are unfortunately not the kind of audience they should be booking for in the long term because eventually they’re going to reach a point where they start bleeding people who get bored waiting for things to happen and not picking up enough new/casual viewers to offset it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gumball Gumption posted:

Cody is a main event caliber wrestler playing the role of a midcarder. Some of his image feels like just natural uncoolness but I think he also very much knows what he's doing considering his first big AEW program banished him from the main event scene.

Cody is YOSHI HASHI with the book.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Cody is YOSHI HASHI with the book.

Even though they're both incredible talents they're happier being good hands who help others to greatness? I agree.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is there ever a worry that perhaps these hinted at turns or potential storylines won't ever get paid off?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I feel like AEW's hit a pretty comfortable pace of building storylines and giving satisfying resolutions from week to week. Like just look at the evolution of Dark Order over the last few months:

Brodie debuts
Brodie gets a title shot and loses but looks like a monster
Dark Order expands by multiple members
Colt Cabana first hates them, then considers joining them, then begrudgingly joins them, now happily is part of the team
The rest of Dark Order is built up to be competitive with top-tier talent
Brodie is now going after the TNT title

The eventual explosion of the Elite has kind of been building since Day One of Dynamite, I think that's always been planned to be a massive, long-term storyline that would take months to finally happen.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

Is there ever a worry that perhaps these hinted at turns or potential storylines won't ever get paid off?

We call that "Steven Moffat Anxiety"

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

There are some things that I’m sure were put on the back burner or cancelled due to COVID. Like whatever was going to happen with DEATH TRIANGLE and PAC.

Wasn’t there some threads of Dark Order trying to recruit Cima at some point too?

Not to mention how much the women’s division was crippled by travel restrictions and injuries. Some plans might be cancelled, others might just be on hold until things normalize.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Dacap posted:

Wasn’t there some threads of Dark Order trying to recruit Cima at some point too?

They offered him a mask at some point, don’t remember if it was on Dynamite or Dark. Saw someone theorizing that Stronghearts we’re going to slot in where Angels and Vance ended up, which could’ve been fun.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Eat My Fuc posted:

HHH is deeply uncool sure, but he likes things that are cool and tries to be a part of them. Motorhead kicks rear end and is cool as gently caress. Cody has no idea what the gently caress is cool, Downstait is worse than Nickleback and Puddle of Mudd combined. There are few wrestlers I would ever say are cool, even remotely. Moxley is cool, Sammy, and Shida kind of exude a coolness. Hangman is very classic James Dean pretty eyes and deep thoughts cool. Private Party are geeks but they have good style. Other than that the entire promotion is a bunch of nerds in my opinion.

I am less cool than HHH, Cody, or anyone whose ever been on TV. This is just my opinion.

Rey Fenix is cool as poo poo.

Edit: as is Santana.

hooman fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 17, 2020

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

A Fancy Hat posted:

I feel like AEW's hit a pretty comfortable pace of building storylines and giving satisfying resolutions from week to week. Like just look at the evolution of Dark Order over the last few months:

Brodie debuts
Brodie gets a title shot and loses but looks like a monster
Dark Order expands by multiple members
Colt Cabana first hates them, then considers joining them, then begrudgingly joins them, now happily is part of the team
The rest of Dark Order is built up to be competitive with top-tier talent
Brodie is now going after the TNT title

The eventual explosion of the Elite has kind of been building since Day One of Dynamite, I think that's always been planned to be a massive, long-term storyline that would take months to finally happen.

I love the Colt storyline. I was first a little lukewarm on him but his character progression has been so good so far. He seems to be getting less naive towards the DO and more of a guy who knows what’s going on but won’t do anything since he benefits.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
they simmer for a long time, but when they boil, they really loving cook, thinking specifically to how they set up the Anna Jay squash w/ Dark Order, and also FTR destroying the Rock N Roll Express

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The Anna Jay/Abadon match is still one of my favourite things AEW has done, it was a genuine surprise that helped both characters. I just wish both of them were featured more on Dynamite after.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

collocation posted:

I like(d?) Sock as a poster and thought they at least meant what they said, even if it was incorrect sometimes. I don't know how they acted before I got here, though.

She changed her username to try to dodge the reputation she built up from the previous one, if that helps.

Which is kind of funny, considering the situation, now that I think about it.

Did anyone post this? There's some good tracks on here.

https://twitter.com/Walu2go/status/1294545102694752256

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, I think anything that gets dropped dropped is either a misdirect to add tension (Hangman possibly joining the Dark Order way back when), or due to real world stuff getting in the way.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

IcePhoenix posted:

It's also up on their Bandcamp along with a smattering of other random themes. Hopefully they'll all end up on there.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1295374829265199105

Dope Dark again. That 8-man tag is gonna be nuts. And I can't wait for Jack Evans to poo poo talk the initiative :allears:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

MorningMoon posted:

Yeah, I think anything that gets dropped dropped is either a misdirect to add tension (Hangman possibly joining the Dark Order way back when), or due to real world stuff getting in the way.

There has been at least one thing bopped on the head because people weren't enjoying it. Brandi's Nightmare Collective was ended so abruptly her face-turn was done on Twitter. Tough luck if you were the one person wondering what she was going to do with all that hair.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Alan Angels vs Billy
Lance Archer vs Jon Cruz/Jessy Sorensen (yes they've moved to handicap matches for Lance lmao)
Beaver Boys/Cult Cabana vs D3, Ryzin, Faboo Andre
Shawn Dean & Frank Stone vs Sonny Kiss & Joey Janela
Will Hobbs vs Shawn Spears
Michael Nakazawa vs Kip Sabian
Private Party & SCU vs Lucha Bros & The Butcher & The Blade
Red Velvet vs Abadon
Ricky Starks vs Lee Johnson
Baron Black & Tony Donati vs Santana & Ortiz
The Hybrid2 vs The Initiative

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Starks vs Johnson should be good.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

lmao the britt baker theme in that spotify has the exact same opening bit as live and learn, make britt baker sonic the hedgehog

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IcePhoenix posted:

She changed her username to try to dodge the reputation she built up from the previous one, if that helps.

Which is kind of funny, considering the situation, now that I think about it.

Hell yeah, Nyla's new theme rips so hard

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1295367450045841408

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

Tough luck if you were the one person wondering what she was going to do with all that hair.

It was gonna be a wig for Luther but they realised the head point was over enough without him having something else up there to be pointing at.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Iiiiinteresting that Colt is explicitly listed as "of the Dark Order" in that now-removed tweet. Also 5 had better go over Bill(y Gunn).

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
lol, if this was posted when Brodie had big plat, I missed it, he took a photo of it with mom on mother's day :kimchi:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Dark Order is the most wholesome stable :3:

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

The Dark Order is the most wholesome stable :3:

They’re all about putting smiles on people’s faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

MorningMoon posted:

The Hangman thing paid off hugely in one of the best ever BTE segments.