Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I hope we get to meet Nale's bond spren at some point.

lmao who bonds a Herald?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Just watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o41ZcgFgGS4

So which Sanderson character should Henry Cavill play? I liked the choices for Lightsong, Susebron and Dalinar.

Lightsong/Susebron- Cavill obviously has the physique to play a god, and would make a good mute. But I'm not sure how well he can pull off the sarcastic, foppish, flippant nature of Lightsong. It would be a nice change of pace to see him in that kind of roll. I do kind of think more of Chris Pratt when I think of Lightsong though if we want to talk dream castings.

Dalinar- Cavill is too young and too pretty, but a bit of makeup to make his nose appear broken and another 10-15 years before a Stomlight adaption would make it screen anyways would put him closer to right age. And I think he plays stoic and serious really well, which is quintessential Dalinar.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

th3t00t posted:

Dalinar- Cavill is too young and too pretty, but a bit of makeup to make his nose appear broken and another 10-15 years before a Stomlight adaption would make it screen anyways would put him closer to right age. And I think he plays stoic and serious really well, which is quintessential Dalinar.

sanderson's been pretty adamant that Alethi need to be played by asian people and that it's not an optional thing (even though hollywood will definitely want to just cast white people)

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Obviously Kelsier should be played by Sean Bean.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kalas posted:

Obviously Kelsier should be played by Sean Bean.

Way to spoiler the fate of your main character before the movie even airs.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Doug Jones as Sazed.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

th3t00t posted:

Only 1 chapter this week :negative:

Kaladin discovering that the fused order of Heavenly Ones follow a Code of Honor is interesting. Who would have thought the "Voidbringers" would fight fair and with honor, dueling one on one and allowing wounded to surrender and retreat. Seems to point to maybe not all of the fused actually being "bad". Windrunners and Heavenly Ones joining forces at some point seems a definite possibility.

I wonder if the mega-climax Sanderson said that will be taking place in RoW is the ascension of the Sibling's Bondsmith and the reactivation of Urithiru, all while a massive battle is taking place, and Kaladin finally swearing the fourth and possibly 5th ideal during said battle.

I'm re-reading the series to be fully refreshed and also reading the preview chapters. It's amazing how much sense the interludes, foreshadowing and non-regular povs make now that I have a better understanding of Roshar and the Cosmere. I remember my first time reading them and being almost completely lost.

I just finished the WoR chapter where Eshonai reveals Stormform to the other Listeners and tells them the salvation of their people will come from everyone transforming to Stormform and summoning a storm to destroy their enemies. And the chapter ends with "And she pointedly ignored the voice deep within her that was screaming in horror." I still feel like it was a mistake by Sanderson to kill Eshonai and have Venli assume her narrative role. I <3 Eshonai.

It seems almost as if the Windrunners and the Heavenly Ones are more influenced by Honor than other members. Supposedly, Honor tied/trapped Odium to Roshar somehow and this might be related.

Navani thinking there was a sound when Dalinar opened the perpendicularity has got me wondering about music spren and those large sentient horses. Hoid also tried to get Kaladin to learn the flute, perhaps that is also related.

The more I read Sandersons books, the more I see that he really focuses in how technology advances societies.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

th3t00t posted:

So which Sanderson character should Henry Cavill play? I liked the choices for Lightsong, Susebron and Dalinar.

The only white people on Roshar are the Shin and Cavill doesn't fit their description.

He has the build for a character like Susebron for sure. Maybe Vasher.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

The only white people on Roshar are the Shin and Cavill doesn't fit their description.

He has the build for a character like Susebron for sure. Maybe Vasher.

Lightsong, he is perfect for the dumb dad humor.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

eke out posted:

sanderson's been pretty adamant that Alethi need to be played by asian people and that it's not an optional thing (even though hollywood will definitely want to just cast white people)

Bollywood would handle this better than Hollywood obviously

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/1293822442998099968

He's already 75% done with Dawnshard.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Presumably that means 75% done with the rough draft, not 75% done with the entire writing process, but still. drat.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Alloy of Law was mostly written on a long flight home, this is just business as usual for Brandon.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
https://www.tor.com/2020/08/17/behold-the-cover-to-rhythm-of-war-the-fourth-book-in-brandon-sandersons-stormlight-archive/

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Ugh...Shallan

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
People seem to think the dude is Adolin. The outfit makes sense but why is his hair silver? Spicy take: it's Hoid holding Nightblood.

Also, that artist made Shadesmar look dumb.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

IMO best NA stormlight cover, looks great, A+

The UK cover is still better, but that's always how it is with Sanderson.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

aparmenideanmonad posted:

People seem to think the dude is Adolin. The outfit makes sense but why is his hair silver? Spicy take: it's Hoid holding Nightblood.

Also, that artist made Shadesmar look dumb.

the artist said it was adolin apparently

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tunicate posted:

the artist said it was adolin apparently

i definitely did not imagine that dude having anime silver hair lol

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

eke out posted:

He very much does not, he famously has his mother's golden locks! Mixed with streaks of the usual Alethi black hair. So yes, he kinda has hair like Yugi Muto from the Yu-Gi-Oh anime... So okay, he has anime hair, but if that's Adolin, he either had a big change coming over him, or the artist had no idea what he was doing.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

eke out posted:

I think it's described as dark with silver streaks - but not 100% on that. wrong

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

He very much does not, he famously has his mother's golden locks! Mixed with streaks of the usual Alethi black hair. So yes, he kinda has hair like Yugi Muto from the Yu-Gi-Oh anime... So okay, he has anime hair, but if that's Adolin, he either had a big change coming over him, or the artist had no idea what he was doing.

Not to make two speculative Nightblood posts on one page, but I suppose his hair color could have been drained by it if he unsheathed it. I'm going to chalk it up to fantasy artists just being bad/unfamiliar with their source material in general. But if Sanderson breaks up Szeth and sword-nimi, I'll be pretty mad.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Not to make two speculative Nightblood posts on one page, but I suppose his hair color could have been drained by it if he unsheathed it. I'm going to chalk it up to fantasy artists just being bad/unfamiliar with their source material in general. But if Sanderson breaks up Szeth and sword-nimi, I'll be pretty mad.

wait is that nightblood he's holding? i forget what the sheathe is supposed to look like apart from there being aluminum

quote:

Nightblood is completely black, both blade and hilt. The blade is thin,[4] long, and straight, with cutting edges on both sides.[5] The cross guard is referred to as being hooked. The hilt has a pommel

in that pic: black hilt wrapped in silvery metal, hooked crossguard, pommel

it's obv not his normal much bigger and vine-themed shardblade

(i know it's probably just artistic license and we're reading too much into it)

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 17, 2020

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

eke out posted:

wait is that nightblood he's holding? i forget what the sheathe is supposed to look like apart from there being aluminum

In all seriousness, I don't think any speculation based on cover art is worth much, though I'll gladly participate because it's amusing. Pretty hard to know where the artistic license stops and the subtle hint-dropping begins. I would be interested in seeing what kind of a mess Nightblood would make in Shadesmar though!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

eke out posted:

I think you're right. Adolin and Shallan are clearly in Shadesmar, but Adolin's sword doesn't take the form of a sword in Shadesmar, it's a zombie spren without eyes. When he tried to summon his sword in Shadesmar previously the zombie spren just screamed at him. Nightblood though would probably take the form of a sword in Shadesmar, because it is literally a sword given sentience.

I'm glad we got a visualization of Shadesmar, I couldn't make the descriptions make much sense in my head. It's very dark and full of black marbles?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Other versions of the cover:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Torrannor posted:

I guess Veil and her other appearances can look different but that is not what I would've thought of for Shallan's appearance. She looks Scandinavian.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

I guess Veil and her other appearances can look different but that is not what I would've thought of for Shallan's appearance. She looks Scandinavian.

Shallan is independently described as blue-eyed, light skinned, red haired, and lightly freckled, and she is compared to Alethi as fairer, slimmer, and shorter. I pictured her with a more boyish figure and maybe darker reddish hair closer to auburn, but the artist certainly got closer to the text with her than with Adolin.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
There is a fair amount of skin colour/hair colour variation on Roshar, it’s just that epicanthic folds are common to everyone but the Shin. You can’t map earth ethnicities one to one on it, which is nice really. Also everyone’s over six foot tall and some people have crystalline growths.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
I wonder are the folds common on Roshar because Cultivation adapted the humans to fit in better, there is a theory that they evolved to protect people eyes from grit in wind.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What time do the Weekly Preview chapters typically go up? :negative:

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
9 AM Eastern. So you've got 17 minutes to go.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

But I have a meeting at 9 :argh:

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Zoom meeting? Just turn off your camera and stay on mute!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Haha funny. I've been back in the office since the end of May :staredog:

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Well in that case, take a laptop with you to "take notes"!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol @ shallan deciding not to kill Ialai, doing nothing to kill her, then after she dies immediately suspecting that she might somehow have been the one that actually killed her

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Shallan's pretty messed up right now. I'm more excited about the VOIDLIGHT FABRIAL that Kaladin found!

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Interesting that the epigraph shows that zinc and brass have the same effect on a fabrial spren as they do in Allomancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

MildShow posted:

Interesting that the epigraph shows that zinc and brass have the same effect on a fabrial spren as they do in Allomancy.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I immediately went to the wiki to confirm they worked that way. Seems like a lot of things are going to connect in this book. I'll be reading along with my brother and a friend of ours but I really wish they'd read Mistborn and Warbreaker first. They're going to miss a lot.