Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Hi guys. I've got a problem and I'm wondering if a Pi is the solution.

Problem: old TV/DVD combo unit in the bedroom is just about dead

Hypothesis: Replace it with a normal tv hooked up to a Pi that has access to our media files and can be controlled in a similar fashion to a dvd player

I'm positive that a Pi can be hooked up to our home network and given access to the folder with all our media; that's obvious. What I'm curious about is how "not-a-computer" I can make this. My living room media setup is a full W10 PC, and while it's fully functional, there's no debate that it's fiddly. It's the mouse on a couch type of problem.

Here's what I'd like the Pi to do:
-Turn on (or wake up) remotely
-Control easily from a one-handed remote-like device
-Boot directly to a media program
-Play specific or shuffled media files from another PC on the network
-Have a sleep timer that can be activated by pressing a single button on the remote (every push of the button adds 30 minutes to a timer that will sleep the device on countdown)

While I have no doubt a Pi is capable of all of that, the key here is that I haven't, and won't, program. I need all of this available as sort of PnP apps. I don't mind getting my hands dirty on the setup - lord knows I've installed a crack or two - but the moment the answer is "program that feature yourself" I'm out.

What do you guys think, is this accessible to someone who doesn't want to write custom code?

Have you just considered a Roku?

The remote is taken care of. There’s *a* sleep timer, if not your very specific idea of how one should work. The Express starts at $30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I read your post and you didn't mention it but you're running plex right?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If you want something that just works--get a Roku / Amazon Firestick / etc. The pi doesn't easily support stuff like Netflix that need DRM for the highest quality streaming. And the interface is definitely not good for a 10 foot TV experience. You're also going to have to do a lot of command line messing around to get things working, and even then it's not going to be stable or smooth at all.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Sounds like a Chromecast thing

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
https://wiki.libreelec.tv/ which runs https://kodi.tv/

For the remote you either need to buy some add-on board for the pi with IR receiver and do some linuxing (but not programing), or you can just use a smartphone. They have an app.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Just an FYI the Xbox 1 remote and ir dongle has native support in libreelec and it works well.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

Have you just considered a Roku?

The remote is taken care of. There’s *a* sleep timer, if not your very specific idea of how one should work. The Express starts at $30.

CFox posted:

I read your post and you didn't mention it but you're running plex right?

I hadn't considered a Roku at all, though I've used my parents'. My current media setup isn't plex, but it shouldn't be too hard to install that by the looks of it. Then just buy a Roku, load up the plex app, and it will work? That seems easy enough.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

I hadn't considered a Roku at all, though I've used my parents'. My current media setup isn't plex, but it shouldn't be too hard to install that by the looks of it. Then just buy a Roku, load up the plex app, and it will work? That seems easy enough.

I've got a pi4 set up as a media server and I can connect to it from anywhere on any device using Plex.

Took a lot of dicking around to get it all set up right (but haven't had to touch it since except to install updates) since I didn't know of the existence of DietPi, so learn from my mistake.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Yea just install plex on your server and literally everything has a plex app you use to watch the media on.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I side loaded xbmc/Kodi on my fire TV way back in like 2014/15 worked amazing, I think the latest fire tv hardware is 4k capable now, works with the remote etc, that's still the best option out there I think

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Ok, I'm going the roku/plex route, since it's the most minimal investment possible. Thank you everyone, and sorry to disrupt your Raspberry Pi chat!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Speaking of Pi and media, after a year with Volumio I'm not so in love with it anymore. They added bluetooth streaming input, which I really want but could never get working myself using various out-of-date instructions... But it's locked behind their "Volumio Virtuoso" subscription. A one-time fee to support devs I could get behind, but I'm not paying a subscription to a loving audio player. And their UI has become infested with junk like Tidal that I don't have and don't want.

They've always called themselves "the audiophile music player" and now I get it: they're pushing subscription services and audiophiles are marks who spend money on bullshit.

Anyways I'm gonna jump ship to moode and see how I like it. Just gotta borrow a laptop that can write the SD card image, which my lovely craptop fails at.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I've got a pi4 set up as a media server and I can connect to it from anywhere on any device using Plex.

Took a lot of dicking around to get it all set up right (but haven't had to touch it since except to install updates) since I didn't know of the existence of DietPi, so learn from my mistake.

Can a Pi4 handle Plex + transcoding?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

insta posted:

Can a Pi4 handle Plex + transcoding?

I’ve had no issues up to 1080p quality, beyond that it’ll chug.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Hi guys. I've got a problem and I'm wondering if a Pi is the solution.

Problem: old TV/DVD combo unit in the bedroom is just about dead

Hypothesis: Replace it with a normal tv hooked up to a Pi that has access to our media files and can be controlled in a similar fashion to a dvd player

I'm positive that a Pi can be hooked up to our home network and given access to the folder with all our media; that's obvious. What I'm curious about is how "not-a-computer" I can make this. My living room media setup is a full W10 PC, and while it's fully functional, there's no debate that it's fiddly. It's the mouse on a couch type of problem.

Here's what I'd like the Pi to do:
-Turn on (or wake up) remotely
-Control easily from a one-handed remote-like device
-Boot directly to a media program
-Play specific or shuffled media files from another PC on the network
-Have a sleep timer that can be activated by pressing a single button on the remote (every push of the button adds 30 minutes to a timer that will sleep the device on countdown)

While I have no doubt a Pi is capable of all of that, the key here is that I haven't, and won't, program. I need all of this available as sort of PnP apps. I don't mind getting my hands dirty on the setup - lord knows I've installed a crack or two - but the moment the answer is "program that feature yourself" I'm out.

What do you guys think, is this accessible to someone who doesn't want to write custom code?

Plex, sleep timer might need a little work as it's a feature I'm not sure is native but it does sound reasonable to implement. Remote control I'm not sure on but there's probably something on eBay or AliExpress that would work.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I’ve had no issues up to 1080p quality, beyond that it’ll chug.

I've streamed 4k from a pi4 using plex and it did fine. Maybe it depends on the encoding.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Would love to have a Plex server but I'm going to be on public wifi, like a hotel room wifi. They have a wired connection available though, which is pretty cool. I sort of doubt anybody in this little town would have any idea how to pK h4x0r, so it would probably be okay.
Still want an ice tower cooler + 8gb 4 for, I don't know why, to have as a cool toy.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
I think a Pi4 would be ok for 4k direct play on Plex, but doubt it would work well to transcode any 4k h.265 content to other formats or resolutions.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you're just grabbing files from torrent sites, the odds of you downloading h.265 files are fairly low from what I've found.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

other people posted:

I've streamed 4k from a pi4 using plex and it did fine. Maybe it depends on the encoding.

Could be, or could be the HDD I'm using to store the media, but since nothing I own displays 4k content I'm fine with 1080p

I've got it set up as my newsgroup downloading box and it dumps everything onto a 5400rpm external drive (because they're cheap as gently caress), and I can't say I care what format it comes in as.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

other people posted:

Transcoding is the important part of that question. If your playback device can handle the media natively then you can stream from pretty close do anything. If the Plex server needs to convert to another format, that's when the CPU (and/or GPU in some cases) becomes relevant.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you're just grabbing files from torrent sites, the odds of you downloading h.265 files are fairly low from what I've found.

Well, I transcoded all my own movies from BluRay into 1080p H.265, and then my "file searching application" decided to "upgrade" all of them to "releases" in H.264 since apparently ignore flags mean nothing, so that was a shitload of time down the drain.

Right now, my Plex machine is a Ryzen 2500 that draws ~ 75 watts, feeding from a fileserver at 55 watts. If I could drop that down to 5 watts from a Pi, I'd be happy. The fileserver wouldn't be able to keep up with transcoding since it's some super low power AMD APU.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

wolrah posted:

Transcoding is the important part of that question. If your playback device can handle the media natively then you can stream from pretty close do anything. If the Plex server needs to convert to another format, that's when the CPU (and/or GPU in some cases) becomes relevant.

I have a Roku -- will playing from Plex to it cause transcoding from H.264?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

insta posted:

I have a Roku -- will playing from Plex to it cause transcoding from H.264?

There’s a Plex thread in Inspect Your Gadgets, best to check there. The other thing to know if the Roku can handle subtitles being turned out without the server needing to transcode.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

wolrah posted:

It's a samsung TV which I HATE but I guess it serves this purpose well as I've so far had no trouble with its plex app and streaming whatever from the pi in the other room. Over horrible ethernet-over-powerline adapters no less.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
My coworker has a son who is interested in programming and computers. I was telling her about the kind of things you could do with a Raspberry Pi. Unfortunately there are a ton of starter kits out there. If she wanted to get something where he could light up LEDs and maybe control a simple motor. What is a good starter kit?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How old is the kid? If he's interested in the tangible aspects of programming, like spinning motors and blinking LEDs, I'd get an Arduino kit instead of a Raspberry Pi. For like 35 bucks you can get everything you need.

https://www.amazon.com/ELEGOO-Project-Tutorial-Controller-Projects/dp/B01D8KOZF4/

Kids as young as like 7-8 can do basic Arduino stuff, but microcontroller programming also grows with them to be as complex as you want. Raspberries Pi are more capable if he's interested in video, internet, apps with software UIs, etc but they're also significantly more complicated to set up and program. Suitable if the mom or dad are computer geeks and want to do it together, maybe, but I still think the Arduino is a better choice overall.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
He's 11 and had some introduction to computer stuff at a previous school. I had thought about an Arduino but figured it might be more technical than say using Scratch. I'll propose both to her and let her decide. The only downside with everyone at home now is the computer availability to program anything.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

calandryll posted:

He's 11 and had some introduction to computer stuff at a previous school. I had thought about an Arduino but figured it might be more technical than say using Scratch. I'll propose both to her and let her decide. The only downside with everyone at home now is the computer availability to program anything.

You can use Scratch to control Arduinos, FWIW.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Do they have a spare monitor, keyboard and mouse to connect to the pi? If not it's going to be a pain to use and setup, especially for an 11 year old that probably isn't a pro at linux command line troubleshooting, headless networking setup, SSH, etc.

If you just want something to plug into a laptop and start programming, making lights light, etc. go for an Arduino. If you want something to mess around with linux and eventually make lights light, motors move, etc. go for a pi.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If there's only one computer and the budget supports it, you could get a Raspberry Pi and an Arduino kit and have the best of both worlds for under $100. A spare keyboard and mouse and an old HDMI monitor and you've got a little Linux box for screwing around with and learning programming that he can keep in his room. The Arduino programming software will run on the Pi. Not the shallowest learning curve, but it would be fun for a kid who's into that sort of stuff and kind of fancies himself a hacker. As long as he doesn't expect it to run Fortnite.

Also don't get their hopes up that it would replace a regular computer for schoolwork and stuff. It can, in that you'd be able to use Google Docs and whatnot and maybe even Zoom with a webcam, but I would definitely want something more reliable if his education relies on it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 23, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Arduino is nice because you don't need to learn Linux, or maintain your go/c/python environment. With Arduino you just compile code and away you go

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah, despite seeming "more complicated", I honestly believe Arduino is easier to get started with than anything RasPi

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I will also suggest an arduino. Mostly because it only does what you're wanting it to do. When you want to show someone your project, you're not waiting a few minutes for linux to boot up, and then, shoot, looks like the autorun isn't working, let me ssh into it or plug in a monitor and keyboard, oh wait, you can't plug in a monitor if it's already booted up, hold on, let me restart it real quick. Whereas an arduino turns on, and the microprocessor just runs your code.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Plus once they get their feet wet with an arduino, if they want more they will appreciate how the pi has a lot of new interesting capabilities and its worth some complication

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I have a GSM/GPRS Arduino shield that is going to become useless in Canada at the end of this year. Are there any goons in India or other places with GSM networks that could use it?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is there some prerequsite for getting macvlans working in Rasbian? I haven't had much luck getting my docker pihole instance up and running and the error isn't returning anything to go on.

I am the dumb. My old server had some weird network interface name instead of the usual eth0. Changed that in the yaml and there we go.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 28, 2020

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
After installing a round of updates about a week ago, one of my RasPi's is rebelling and has completely erased its wifi interface. ifconfig only lists ethernet and loopback, and 'rfkill list' shows two bluetooth items, no wifi. Searching around this doesn't seem to be a particularly rare issue to have, but so far none of the solutions I've found have worked for me. Running Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS with a Mate desktop on a 3B+ if that could be a factor.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

I had a Pi 3B+ (I think?) working as a Homeseer server, quite well, for a while... but the continuous log-writing gorked the SD card. I got a couple replacements with the plan of making a copy when i get everything dialed in again, but haven't had the time to do it... it may serve additional duty for a Ubiquiti AP and retropie.

In the last week though, I've found myself with a full HD on my main computer, and it's getting to be a PITA, so I'm upgrading the hard drive from 256gb to 1tb. The only catch is that they are m2 NVME drives.
So my question - is it as simple as getting a USB adapter for the NVME drive and using it as the boot/storage device for the Pi? Or is it still better to have everything on a SD card? I really don't need it to be an expensive endeavour. the other route i could go is to use the SSD out of my basement HTPC and put the NVME into it but I'd have to adapt the NVME drive to that motherboard (SATA of some kind)... or is the SD interface in the 3B+ still better than USB 2.0?

I know I'm bottlenecking it either way, but I might as well use what I've got right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Guitarchitect posted:

the other route i could go is to use the SSD out of my basement HTPC and put the NVME into it but I'd have to adapt the NVME drive to that motherboard (SATA of some kind)...

To quickly eliminate one of your choices, you can plug a NVMe drive into a standard PCIe slot with a cheap $10 adapter card, but if the mobo doesn't have m.2 slots it almost certainly can't boot from the NVMe drive. And there's no such thing as a NVMe to sata adapter.