Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Watching that video again really really makes me upset that we never got a full movie from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

At least it wasn't just a promo for a phone game.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

There was a concept video four years ago that was basically this and everyone was excited that it was for an upcoming Gamera project, but it turned out that the video was a tribute for Gamera’s anniversary and that was all.

God drat it’s still fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17brZrkOmKI

I appreciate that this is less than four minutes long and it still perfectly communicates "the dad is the monster."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vintersorg posted:

I've been going through a ton of "Brandon Tenhold reviews..." on Youtube and I can tell he's genuine. Usually after he ribs the movie he'll be like, its still fine.

He actually JUST put up his Shin Gojira vid up an hour ago. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzfxlA7o2GI

That is a bit different than his normal style of going thru the entire movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnYeXMKqWMk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDnkmK3D7QQ

His Godzilla videos are good, but obscure horror reviews are his bread and butter. Probably my favorite YouTube reviewer.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’ve watched some of that guys videos before but there was a bit too much plot regurgitation for me. I’ll check out the Shin one since it sounds like that one’s better?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Godzilla Anime: What if really big Godzilla?

Me: Eh

Shin Godzilla: What if small man Godzilla?

Me: Holy poo poo

This could have been the Godzilla Anime when they revealed that Earth's entire surface had been colonized by mutated castoffs of Godzilla's tissue. I really hope someone, someday, does that idea justice.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

There was a concept video four years ago that was basically this and everyone was excited that it was for an upcoming Gamera project, but it turned out that the video was a tribute for Gamera’s anniversary and that was all.

God drat it’s still fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17brZrkOmKI

Speaking of doing ideas justice someday!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Everyone in Terror Of Mechagodzilla has the dopest clothes but for some reason Katsumasa Uchida‘s character wears the same suit every day. It’s a good suit but switch it up, guy

Edit he does eventually show off a second outfit, but Katsuhiko Sasaki really does wear the same sport coat and turtleneck every day.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 16, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

david_a posted:

I’ve watched some of that guys videos before but there was a bit too much plot regurgitation for me. I’ll check out the Shin one since it sounds like that one’s better?

The Shin one is just him talking about the movie, how it’s different from other Godzilla films, and what he thinks about it. You’ll like it for the same reasons I didn’t care for it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd love more Shin but it is extremely sick that it got made in the first place so IMO we're blessed to have it in the first place. It's cool that it's just a one-off lightning in a bottle thing.

also on using Shin as branding: he's on jet liveries. like pikachu.

well why not fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 17, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My favorite Shin thing will always be his tiny beady eyes and his dumb little mismatched teeth

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My favorite Shin thing will always be his tiny beady eyes and his dumb little mismatched teeth

I really enjoyed that they went for the real life thing of where his eyes were fully sized when we saw him as Kamata Kun and his body just grew around them.

Also I really liked that his eyes were unblinking things that didn’t pay attention to humans. It went for the full elder god feeling of indifference to suffering. When the first photos leaked I thought the red parts were supposed to be horrific exposed muscles due to burns and radiation instead of glowing power.

Christ I love Shin’s design. It’s one of the few actual terrifying Godzillas.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 17, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I seem to recall hearing that Shin's eyes didn't actually work. And it's clearly not using teeth to eat things. Which makes it even more terrifying. It's a Godzilla with barely the pretense of looking like a Godzilla. All the different Godzillas before it could emote and were sympathetic to a degree. But not this one. It's pure malice given flesh.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The design is beyond amazing - I also love it. I have a SH MonsterArts figure of it and it was worth every goddamn penny. I got the special purple one cause that scene is loving ICONIC

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
This is the only toy I have of Shin which I love because its so gaudy and ridiculous

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Is Shin good? I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just Offscreen posted:

No it’s loving excellent.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The soundtrack is loving killer too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBqCDuwZsCs

This music plays over Shin absolutely loving up the city

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFRsjlt2HxQ

The music choices are an absolute delight, yes, especially when tracks from older movies pop up

Violator
May 15, 2003

Shiroc posted:

This is the only toy I have of Shin which I love because its so gaudy and ridiculous

I've seen several weirdly colored Godzilla figures posted. Are they sold like that or is there an art scene where figures are repainted? I get the impression it's both?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Violator posted:

I've seen several weirdly colored Godzilla figures posted. Are they sold like that or is there an art scene where figures are repainted? I get the impression it's both?

In the soft vinyl world (aka "Sofubi") figures are cast in different colored vinyl and then painted. These are known as "colorways" to the collectors. Figures like that one above are usually done as limited figures for a particular store or event. I have a bandai Shin in red translucent vinyl with gold glitter flecks that was for the initial release of the movie and exclusive to Toho theaters. I'd take a photo and show it but it's in my workstation at the shop.

edit: the big Biolante Godzilla I showed off a few posts above was the standard charcoal grey that I bought back in 1994 or so. I just decided to paint it for fun. Painting soft vinyls is a hobby of mine (and I make a soft vinyl toy of my cat as a witch- check IG @catmagictoys and for kaiju check my other IG @kaiju_sommelier)

edit 2: that hot pink and gold one was an exclusive at the Godzilla shop in Tokyo but was also imported to Kinokuniya book stores.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 17, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Here are some Shin GodZilla Sofubi- the standard color Bandai shin, along with the independent toy maker Sunguts’ green colorway 4th form Shin and the standard grey Colorway “Awakening” version. Sunguts also makes the 2nd form Kamata Kun and 3rd form Shinagawa Kun (which I unfortunately don’t have) that are all in scale with the 4th form figure. They are done in the more playful and toy like Showa era Sofubi style. Sunguts’ maker Ichimiya San is a sculpting genius and a guy with a great sense of humor.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Just Offscreen posted:

It's pretty good but whether you think it's InCrEdIbLe depends on your appreciation of its messages about bureaucracy and American hegemony and how they're delivered. I appreciated that it didn't use the very worn Hollywood mechanism of a family in crisis working it out through the larger mega-crisis (hello KotM); at the same time, the sociopolitical themes felt fully-explored about a third of the way through and the rest of those scenes were just belaboring a point already made.

All the Godzilla sequences are absolute dynamite though. It's generally very well-crafted, and as noted, fantastic score.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shin Godzilla is probably the first Godzilla movie to make me feel how Japanese audiences must have felt when the original Gojira came out in 1958. (Well, as close as one can get without living through two atom bombs less than a decade prior.)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Just Offscreen posted:

It comprises mostly of people sitting around tables talking, anno self-plagarized a bunch of the music, the first tadpole Godzilla design is one of the goofiest designs I've ever seen and it's one of my fav movies of last decade

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Two other favorite Godzilla sofubi: MaxToy Shin Godzilla (translucent red vinyl with a brown-black paint rub) and MaxToy Megalon Godzilla. Both are sold in Japan only due to licensing issues, even though Mark Nagata, who’s MaxToy’d owner and planner, is based in San Francisco. Both are sculpted by Pico Pico (instagrams @MaxToyCo and @PicoPicoShimbun )

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also the other great thing about Sofubi is that companies put out figures like this

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You have no idea how jealous I am that you got that

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

edit 2: that hot pink and gold one was an exclusive at the Godzilla shop in Tokyo but was also imported to Kinokuniya book stores.

Yeah, I got it at Kinokuniya. At least in Seattle, they created a decent sized Godzilla section last year and have kept it stocked with lots of neat things. I've gotten a similar translucent blue Ghidorah from GMK, a bunch of neat colored blind box mini vinyl kaiju, a keychain of the Oxygen Destroyer and a bunch of other stuff. They have really cool art books too but since I can't read any Japanese other than literally the names of the monsters, they're too expensive for me to buy.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Shiroc posted:

Yeah, I got it at Kinokuniya. At least in Seattle, they created a decent sized Godzilla section last year and have kept it stocked with lots of neat things. I've gotten a similar translucent blue Ghidorah from GMK, a bunch of neat colored blind box mini vinyl kaiju, a keychain of the Oxygen Destroyer and a bunch of other stuff. They have really cool art books too but since I can't read any Japanese other than literally the names of the monsters, they're too expensive for me to buy.

Yeah I got the Oxygen Destroyer keychain myself. I passed on the hot pink Shin because it was a bit too pricy for me at the time, but it's a great piece for sure!

Burkion posted:

You have no idea how jealous I am that you got that

If you are talking about the Nakajima Haruo suit Godzilla figure, M1-Go still puts them out now and then. I picked this one up at last year's Designer Con. I know Covid has things hosed nowadays but things will be back to a more normalized life eventually, and there will be shows like the Five Points Festival in your area again, which M1号 attends.

Edit: for some reason I thought you were in the NY area

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I was supposed to go to Japan next month and I was going to be on the hunt for that figure. I want it REALLY bad.

E: Oh, here's something goji related. I had more work done on my half-sleeve this weekend and next month we will finish with King G himself. We decided on green for Godzilla since if we did it with the true charcoal stuff it would have lost a lot of detail and looked a bit odd amongst the other colour things.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Edit: for some reason I thought you were in the NY area

I was going to say, I live in TN, I don't live near poo poo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
All those Sofubi dudes own, I love weird “off color” Godzilla toys. Now that I’ve got a 3D printer I’ve been trying to find any STLs or OBJs of the various Showa monsters so that I can print them in weird filaments, but it’s just a complete ghost town on all the usual sites.

The only ones I can consistently find are G’14, which, ehhhhh...

Violator
May 15, 2003

Thanks for the info. That seems like an addicting rabbit hole to go down. :)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want to do a big photo shoot soon, but here’s a couple zilla stuff I have

Magic Pus
Mar 28, 2010
Vintersorg, that tat is rad! That’s some excellent work.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The only Godzilla figure any of us had for a long time. Frankly, it's the only one we need!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:hmmyes:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jimbot posted:

The only Godzilla figure any of us had for a long time. Frankly, it's the only one we need!

Hell yeah, I have that one too since I was a kid. It was in Roseanne, haha. I don't loving know why I remember that but it must have stuck with me.

E: It must have been everywhere after G'85 was out here.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Shin Godzilla is probably the first Godzilla movie to make me feel how Japanese audiences must have felt when the original Gojira came out in 1954. (Well, as close as one can get without living through two atom bombs less than a decade prior.)

Ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Weird question, but has anyone ever met someone (outside of literal children) who didn't know what Godzilla was?

A couple years ago, when I worked at an office full of court reporters, one of them, a woman in her 70s, asked me what my Godzilla figures (dolls?) were that I had around my desk. It confused the hell out of me. She had zero clue. I'd get it if it was something more obscure, but Godzilla's got a gigantic imprint on public pop-culture consciousness.