Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

i still gotta see the 80s blob ive only seen the 50s one

drat dude get the heck on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The Blob remake is one of those movies where I can’t tell if its a perfect horror movie or if it just inflicted perfect kindertrauma on my brain.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Kvlt! posted:

the best remake is the Evil Dead 2013

certified non-poser opinion right here

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

The Blob remake is one of those movies where I can’t tell if its a perfect horror movie or if it just inflicted perfect kindertrauma on my brain.

Drunkboxer posted:

its a perfect horror movie

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I prefer the Surprise remake over the original. I loved the drab brutalism, I loved the performances, I loved the dancing, I loved the unapologeticly queer feminine tone. The old age makeup wasn't needed, and it doesn't quite make its landing, but otherwise it's one of my favourite films from this century.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Drunkboxer posted:

Blob Remake’s aight, but it’s got that ‘meta’ affliction - and people seem to forget how it turns all goofy and ironic in the third act.

What’s interesting is that the remake was itself stealth-remade, with more success, as Alien Versus | Predator: Requiem.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I think the Suspiria would be just about perfect if they cut out the old man subplot and got it under two hours. I loved it overall but it's a bit too long.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

Yea I'll never be able to separate nostalgia from reality on that one. I think every kid of a certain age who saw Paul get graphically dissolved was traumatized by it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

i still gotta see the 80s blob ive only seen the 50s one

It's a movie that you will absolutely enjoy. On the other hand, though, it doesn't have the song.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I'll never be able to separate nostalgia from reality on that one. I think every kid of a certain age who saw Paul get graphically dissolved was traumatized by it.

I watched it again like a week ago and it absolutely still rules. That scene with Paul is still traumatizing, it's one of the most gruesome practical effects I've ever seen.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jedit posted:

It's a movie that you will absolutely enjoy. On the other hand, though, it doesn't have the song.

Just so everyone has it a single click away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK5jyVCdXwc

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Another positive vote for Host; the beats are familiar but played pretty well. If I have any complaint it's that the demon itself, what little you see of it, was fairly disappointing to me in the sense that it looked just like a rotting corpse and I kind of was hoping for something a little more weird but then again the budget was small and it does fit narratively with the idea that the demon was wearing the mask of a fictional ghost so it's fine really.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Basebf555 posted:

Suspiria feels like they just went down a list of things about the original that people loved and made certain they changed every single one of them, just because. It doesn't feel organic to what the movie is, it feels contrarian for no real purpose.

This I think really nails why I'm struggling to form a final opinion on it. I like the original a lot but I'm not the kind of "fan" who will get mad at a remake for existing or for changing things. It just feels like they didn't do the legwork necessary for a lot of the changes to make sense in any context other than "it needs to be different from the original". That's why the doctor storyline feels like an appendage, because it doesn't serve any purpose other than to differentiate from the original, and in fact weakens the message of the remake by making it so the only person the girls feel they can go to for help outside the school is a man.

Contrast the doctor storyline to the addition of the Baader-Meinhof elements: those both informed the place and time of the film, amped up the paranoia, and connected thematically to the main story. That's the sort of thing I'd consider justifying some extra run-time.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I prefer the Surprise remake over the original. I loved the drab brutalism, I loved the performances, I loved the dancing, I loved the unapologeticly queer feminine tone. The old age makeup wasn't needed, and it doesn't quite make its landing, but otherwise it's one of my favourite films from this century.

I was 100% down for all these elements, and I'm just sad it undercut itself with so many unforced errors.

gey muckle mowser posted:

I think the Suspiria would be just about perfect if they cut out the old man subplot and got it under two hours. I loved it overall but it's a bit too long.

This is the answer for me. It's hard to overstate just how much it weakens the film, from adding to the length, to distracting stunt casting, to the weird move of undercutting the film's mystery by having Patricia just go to a doctor and say "I think it's witches!" in like the first 5 minutes.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I actually liked the Suspiria remake more than the original but yeah i don't get the old man makeup but I didn't find it distracting as the makeup was good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

80’s The Blob is up there with The Thing in terms of amazing practical effects. Some great poo poo in that film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Plus they don't pull their punches and give us the best and most gruesome child death I've seen on screen.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm definitely going to make time to watch the original and the remake again in the next few months, because I'm rarely left feeling so conflicted over a film

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Karloff posted:

Another positive vote for Host; the beats are familiar but played pretty well. If I have any complaint it's that the demon itself, what little you see of it, was fairly disappointing to me in the sense that it looked just like a rotting corpse and I kind of was hoping for something a little more weird but then again the budget was small and it does fit narratively with the idea that the demon was wearing the mask of a fictional ghost so it's fine really.

I was disappointed by this as well, until I read that each actor did their own stunts and effects, which is cool as hell and made me willing to forgive any mis-steps.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

I was 24 and broke, so I waited until it was at the dollar theater

I was only 16 or so when it came out, but I had friends who worked at the theater and they only charged me the senior discount (which was like $4 at the time for this particular theater). Good times having that kinda hook up for a theater.

Doctor Sleep:

Just finished watching the Directors Cut as it was the prescribed method and goddamn I really loved that movie. While I also like the shining I'm not beholden to its charms as some people and find a lot of fault in it, but I though Doctor Sleep was a worthy spiritual sequel and exercise even if its not the most prettiest film I thought it delivered on a lot of cool mythos and expansion of the world, that while could be argued the franchise doesnt need, I thought it did so with clear reasoning and with fun characters I wanted to join for a whole three hours. Those three hours also just flew by and barely noticed it. When that movie starts to get going its like a rocket. Definitely considering buying a physical copy even if the DC doesnt get the 4K treatment and only the theatrical does. That's a shame.

Suspiria (remake/original):

I dont hold either against each other. They are their own separate things, while having common themes explore them wildly differently and in the remakes case I dont believe the creative decisions were done to just be contrarian, but to create a new perspective on the subject matter and I thought it did so deftly. Even with its long run time, again I barely felt a thing from it. Hell I saw that movie twice in theaters in the same day. That's how drawn in I got that I needed to see it again immediately after (which was also one of the craziest theater going experiences with a man in the back of the theater having a seizure during the bone breaking dance scene). I think they both live in their own bubble quite well and deliver different things that were/are needed in horror that dont get done too often.

Gunna watch Sputnik after I get some work done. Looking forward to it.

speaking of Suspiria this print arrived over the weekend and I love it

framed it immediately.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
New Suspiria is so much better than the original it ain't even funny. But I'm one of those that thinks the original, while looking and sounding beautiful, is a total bore. Love that opening sequence though.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

dorium posted:

framed it immediately.

:eyepop: that rules

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

I was only 16 or so when it came out, but I had friends who worked at the theater and they only charged me the senior discount (which was like $4 at the time for this particular theater). Good times having that kinda hook up for a theater.

Wow, you have some lovely friends, I always printed out free passes for mine.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

Wow, you have some lovely friends, I always printed out free passes for mine.

lol I dunno if they could've or not, but it beat paying $10 a ticket so who am I to argue.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Just finished watching Hellmaster on Shudder and... what the hell was that?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yo quick question

Why does REC abandon the demon subplot for the fourth movie?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheKingslayer posted:

Just finished watching Hellmaster on Shudder and... what the hell was that?

It was Hellmaster :confused:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Are we talking John Saxon Hellmaster? I was planning to watch that because I heard it was notably bad.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

well how bad can it be if it has John Saxon

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

well how bad can it be if it has John Saxon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmNZwJTp9nM

There are ways

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I dont understand how people can watch commentary on movies they havent seen before. Like how am I supposed to watch it when they're always TALKING OVER IT. Its why I never got into MST3K. I mean if ive seen the movie before then id understand.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

dorium posted:

framed it immediately.

That is really beautiful

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

I dont understand how people can watch commentary on movies they havent seen before. Like how am I supposed to watch it when they're always TALKING OVER IT. Its why I never got into MST3K. I mean if ive seen the movie before then id understand.

From personal experience, ADHD helps a lot

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

From personal experience, ADHD helps a lot

I have ADHD, I still get annoyed bc they're talking over the movie. But I'm also that rear end in a top hat who WILL get up from the seat and yell at someone to shut up in a movie theater so I'm clearly not the target demographic. No hate, if people enjoy it more power to them. I might check one out of a movie I've already seen before so that way I don't need to keep up with the plot and dialogue.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Watched Scream, Queen! My Nightmare on Elm Street on Shudder and I felt like it did a pretty good job of encompassing the journey that movie has went through over 25 years. It was the film that terrified me as a kid and then became the "bad movie" to dunk on once I was old enough to own the DVD boxset (although the flaming budgie was the highlight for me). I never had a great affinity for it but delighted the queer studies lens has given it a fresh lease on life. What Mark Patton went through as a gay actor was heart-breaking.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Kvlt! posted:

The idea behind early MST3K is that it's probably a movie you wouldn't watch otherwise. A lot of them were cheap and boring knockoffs that nobody had heard of, and were barely interesting. You're not there to give the movie a serious watch, really. You're there to virtually hang with your dumb, funny robot friends when you're 10 years old and living in the middle of nowhere. Now, you have all the MST3K copycats that have been doing riff commentaries on basically every movie that exists, like Avengers and poo poo. That I don't get.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

The idea behind early MST3K is that it's probably a movie you wouldn't watch otherwise. A lot of them were cheap and boring knockoffs that nobody had heard of, and were barely interesting. You're not there to give the movie a serious watch, really. You're there to virtually hang with your dumb, funny robot friends when you're 10 years old and living in the middle of nowhere. Now, you have all the MST3K copycats that have been doing riff commentaries on basically every movie that exists, like Avengers and poo poo. That I don't get.

Oh ok that does make a lot more sense. Maybe I'll check out one of the early ones.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Origami Dali posted:

That is a thing, also

A lot of the movies MST3K covers are dog poo poo. Not all of them- there are some I dearly love in fact, but they actually do a good job with those of balancing jokes with letting the movie speak. They don't tend to talk over lines of dialogue for example and react to the movie as it goes. Some of them though, like Monster A Go Go, its just

Why would you watch this otherwise

Skydivers is another like that. There's a reason they covered an Aslyum movie in the newest seasons because those are basically the modern day poo poo tier films.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

Now, you have all the MST3K copycats that have been doing riff commentaries on basically every movie that exists, like Avengers and poo poo. That I don't get.

See, I would watch the Rifftrax version of The Avengers, because I include those movies in the category of "Why would I be watching this otherwise?" They're not bad in the same way as MST3K movies, but they're just not a genre I care for.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've seen them both before, several years apart, but I've never watched Resolution and The Endless back to back. My memory is hosed so I definitely didn't remember much about Resolution when I was watching The Endless, and I feel like maybe I missed out on some cool crossover stuff.

Double feature time, baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

See, I would watch the Rifftrax version of The Avengers, because I include those movies in the category of "Why would I be watching this otherwise?" They're not bad in the same way as MST3K movies, but they're just not a genre I care for.

Same here, as in I've never seen Avengers and don't have much of an interest to. But it's a strange idea to me to make a dunk track for a film like that, and maybe I'm not sure why. One thing I like about MST3K that I meant to note is that even though the movies are terrible, they made an effort to not make it the point of their riffing. They rarely insult the movie or the filmmakers, and just have fun with a movie nobody has seen or even heard of before. Doing the same to a movie that nearly everyone on the planet has some familiarity with feels way less interesting to me. Just a personal thing, probably.