Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Mulva posted:

He constantly acts childishly, his PoV is always smaller and lower than the Ascians in his flashbacks, he very clearly is played more vulnerable in the very end, and every single Ascian is a FFXII reference. In this case Zodiark is kept as a child to limit his power, and in this his heart is Elidibus, a child. And there's the whole "Went out of his way to save a child in over his head from the 13th". There's a lot of references that imply that yeah, he was probably a child. The degree to which that matters ten thousand years later and after being a Primal is up for grabs, but odds are we murdered a 10 year old.

Ok but none of this explains why a child would be in a position of leadership

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

erenoyo posted:

We put Alphinaud into a postion of leadership. :v:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:sloppy:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

erenoyo posted:

You don’t get it. The child no longer exists - he was used to create the primal. Elidibus is zodiark’s messenger. The child died 10,000 or whatever years ago.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think it's less that we killed a baby and more "Elidibus has a fundamentally childish view of what a hero is."

Note that his major buildup this patch was basically him speaking at length along the lines of "how dare you not allow my colleagues to murder you. you maniac. you absolute monster."

Dude is everything we beat G'raha Tia upside the head until he stopped being.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, Elidibus isn't a leader any more than Levi is the leader of the Sahagin. They summoned him for a purpose, he has enough of a will that he got a big head about it, but the other Ascians we see don't ever seem to ever put him in high regard. There is like a total of one or two cutscenes where anyone listens to what he has to say, and those were years ago

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, Elidibus isn't a leader any more than Levi is the leader of the Sahagin. They summoned him for a purpose, he has enough of a will that he got a big head about it, but the other Ascians we see don't ever seem to ever put him in high regard. There is like a total of one or two cutscenes where anyone listens to what he has to say, and those were years ago

In fairness none of them listen to what any of them have to say.

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

The blasphemer, uncontrite, must be punished mightily.

erenoyo posted:

If the role of Elidibus is to resolve extremely contentious debates, then you could imagine a system where you appoint a prodigy at a young age, before they’ve formed significant biases or factionalism, and then train them as the ideal mediator. Then it’s just a question of luck whether they’re still young when their services get called on.

The alternative hypothesis is that an Elidibus is only named at contentious times; that the plan was always to have the Elidibus position become the host of Zodiark; so the Amaurotines specifically recruited a child so as to make Zodiark more innocent in mindset.

I don’t think there’s enough evidence to decide between the two options (and there might be others). I do feel like most people are fixating on the latter idea, but mostly driven by a desire to see the worst.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The job of Elidibus might have been mostly ceremonial before the cataclysm, too--Elidibus says that disagreements over the fate of the star were rare and fleeting before the final disagreement over Zodiark

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, it was apparently so severe that Zodiark actually had a psychic fracture and had to eject his heart in primal form so that it could fulfill its sworn duty.

What does that mean for Zodiark, anyway, now that it's a heartless angel?

It would actually be funny if this means that:

a) Zodiark is now mindless and completely harmless and can never escape or be freed,
b) unless some idiot, some complete nutter, decides to uncork him and ride him around like a big purple Gundam. But who would be mad enough to ever do that?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69YakPKHMvs

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Are there any missable lines that explain why Emet-Selch and Lahabrea escaped being sundered? If not, I hope that gets explored in a future patch. I've had the idea in my head of there being an additional unsundered who wasn't on the convocation and escaped notice by the ascians. Possibly someone on team Hydaelyn. If nothing else, it seems reasonably likely that Hydaelyn has a living ancient at her heart just like Zodiark.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What do you think we are

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This game knows me far too well.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

What do you think we are

very clearly a sundered being

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Someone (probably Ryne_____) will summon Zodiark and try to make Crystal Mom / Minfilia the new heart

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

cheetah7071 posted:

very clearly a sundered being

We're a little less so now, though

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Waffleman_ posted:

What do you think we are

We're not that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

If nothing else, it seems reasonably likely that Hydaelyn has a living ancient at her heart just like Zodiark.

Didn't they say explicitly that Venat is that guy?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rand Brittain posted:

Yes.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

You don’t get it. The child no longer exists - he was used to create the primal. Elidibus is zodiark’s messenger. The child died 10,000 or whatever years ago.

I know that but he was still at one point a child on the Convocation

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

erenoyo posted:

I know that but he was still at one point a child on the Convocation

The previous Elidibus left, theres nothing that indicates that he wasn't chosen specifically to become Zodiark.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rand Brittain posted:

my memory of even one patch ago is shaky, I guess

It's clearly possible to meet Venat, in the same way we met Elidibus, and I hope we do (and then kick his rear end too)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

cheetah7071 posted:

my memory of even one patch ago is shaky, I guess

It's clearly possible to meet Venat, in the same way we met Elidibus, and I hope we do (and then kick his rear end too)

I think Venat is still within Hydaelen.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Dedekind posted:

If the role of Elidibus is to resolve extremely contentious debates, then you could imagine a system where you appoint a prodigy at a young age, before they’ve formed significant biases or factionalism, and then train them as the ideal mediator. Then it’s just a question of luck whether they’re still young when their services get called on.

I can't imagine this at all actually. it just makes the ancients sound like complete idiots and its a wonder their entire civilization didn't collapse on its own before a weird noise made them scream ghosts into reality

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah there's no way that an LB3 is worth 8 seconds of raidwide dps.

It isn't but I found out when it was only a whm and brd left alive after a botched mechanic sub 1% with LB2 up. Very specific set of circumstances to make it maybe useful

AstrialJam
Apr 27, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Apparently the French localization uses female pronouns for Venat since it's hard to write gender-neutral in French.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I kind of got the impression that they were in fact kind of stupid because their immortality and ridiculous magical prowess meant they didn't need to have much common sense or planning ability, so the first time something came along they couldn't ignore the whole thing exploded.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
possible but man you really don't get a sense of that before the whole airbud-tier "hmm, nothing in the rulebook that says a 12 year old CAN'T be Emissary of the Convocation" stuff

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

it's just anime at its finest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGxCMyLm6js

the elidibus is a child theory does sound possible from context, but what throws me off is that they continued to have him speak with a man's deep voice in his 'child' form. there is definitely something very childlike about him in his final moments, but i don't know if it's because the real elidibus was a child or if it's a reflection of his mental state.

a friend did point out to me that the rest of the convocation deciding to go ahead with sacrificing a child to be the heart of zodiark is what caused Azem to resign in protest, and i like that piece of characterization even though it's just purely based on headcanon.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh no our HP has been reduced to 1 :ohdear:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have moved past the "Elidibus kid" reading and am charging full bore into "Elidibus is Obama" territory, it's very satisfying

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have moved past the "Elidibus kid" reading and am charging full bore into "Elidibus is Obama" territory, it's very satisfying

Crossposting it because it's a golden post

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The 5.3 villain weaponized hope and turned the people's earnest desire to do good, particularly the youth, into a twisted power base to feed dying impulses of decrepit old men who doomed the world

...just like Obama

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eox posted:

Crossposting it because it's a golden post

At first I thought "hey that sounds a lot like Spira and Sin" and then I realized how much Spira reflects our own world. And then I got sad.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

erenoyo posted:

Because the Ancients made poor decisions.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

So who is Biden

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Definitely Lahabrea.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Can't wait until Lahabrea comes back in 7.0

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

it does make this line a bit more ominous though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fister Roboto posted:

At first I thought "hey that sounds a lot like Spira and Sin" and then I realized how much Spira reflects our own world. And then I got sad.

Wasn't the whole story of FFX a reference to Japan's political climate or something like that?